I am so Angry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova said:
The smugness and heartlessness of some posters here continues to amaze me.

These same posters are the ones who criticize the behavior of victims of war and other ravages across the world. They like to call them "animals" and pass moral judgement on them because they do not sit around passively when there is no food, water in sight nor or relief from terrifying circumstances. Well, now it is blatantly clear that even Americans will behave the same way when they find themselves in inhumane circumstances. I doubt that the breakdown of civility would have occured if our government had managed to accomplish one task -- get food and water to the victims as quickly as possible (ie. a day or two)

nanandjim said:
IMO, there was little to no planning and little to no leadership in the State of Louisiana. From the little coverage that I have seen in Mississippi and Alabama (who had areas totally decimated by the hurricane), they are not having nearly the same problems as Louisiana. IMO, this is due to those particular states' good planning and leadership.

The little coverage on other states is due to the media is focusing more on New Orleans right now. They said we wouldn't even begin to see the true destruction of Mississippi for quite some time because entire towns were wiped off the map. Many are currently sealed off due to destroyed bridges, there's no way to call for help, and no way to get in there.

There was a failure at all levels of government. The federal government has already admitted that it's response was not acceptable nor adequate, I'm not sure why people are still denying that fact.

nanandjim said:
Hello, there. :blowkiss: Did you read kgeaux's post stating that the Governor of Louisiana delayed giving the okay for help to enter the state? If memory serves me, President Bush approved help several days BEFORE the storm. If local government refuses to allow entry UNTIL it is almost too late, there's not much that can be done.

I also heard news reports of thugs shooting at the helicopters. I can well imagine that they couldn't get close enough to drop supplies.

IMO, there was little to no planning and little to no leadership in the State of Louisiana. From the little coverage that I have seen in Mississippi and Alabama (who had areas totally decimated by the hurricane), they are not having nearly the same problems as Louisiana. IMO, this is due to those particular states' good planning and leadership.

Yeah, I understand all of that and that's why it's so hard for me. I see both sides. I can't blame any one particular area of government or organization, because I think more could've and should've been done on ALL levels. It's easy to sit back and judge, and I try very hard not to do that - I just feel so sad and helpless and most people just want someone to blame. There will never be one specific person to blame, the blame lies (lays?) in many, many areas.

The local government for not accepting the help that was offered; the federal government for not accepting some of the offers from other countries for lower fuel and emergency personnel and supplies and planes, etc. and for not sending in Navy SEALS and SWAT teams to control the lawlessness; whatever political stuff went on behind closed doors as to why these levee's weren't reconstructed years ago when engineers said it could not withstand more than a Cat. 3 hurricane (all political money crap that I'll never understand); the few *degenerates who chose to not only hinder the rescue and relief efforts, but actually caused more damage, fear, panic and deaths. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Things were not organized or planned, and as you and others have stated, that part does boil down to the local government not having enough of an organized relief effort beforehand and a disaster recovery effort afterwards. SUPPOSEDLY buses were taken around to the poor districts and people were being asked to evacuate. Since I didn't see any photos of such efforts, or hear stories (yet) of people who were offered a way out BEFORE the damage was done, it's hard for me to believe that it was done to the extent that it should've been done. There should’ve been tons of buses, with people on bullhorns and sirens. Maybe there were, I don’t know yet.

While I've heard it mentioned that some who stayed behind did so because they refused to leave their ill or elderly loved ones behind - if this is true, then why didn't these supposed evacuation efforts take the ill and elderly out themselves while there was still time? I will wait until I hear some stories from the people themselves, as to what really happened with the evacuation efforts beforehand.

For those who chose to stay behind because they wanted the chaos and knew they could take advantage of an abandoned city to rob and loot and rape and murder, they have none of my sympathy or compassion and I hope that someday they’ll “get theirs” (karma).

As for those who chose to stay behind because they thought they could weather it out, had been through hurricanes before, didn't know the levee would break, etc... I can’t help but still feel empathy for them, as no one could predict the levee breaking. They actually did weather the hurricane and could’ve survived had it not been for the flooding. My heart goes out to all of them.

And we definitely can’t forget those who simply could not get out.

May God bless them all.

*Degenerate:
1. A depraved, corrupt, or vicious person.
2. A person lacking or having progressively lost normative biological or psychological characteristics.
Source: Dictionary.com

Lets keep the posts on the topic and not the other posters. Every opinion is valid on WS. We may not agree with each other but all are entitled to their opinion.

I assume people refuse to accept how badly the Feds - led by Bush's incompetent country club pals - have screwed up because then they'd have to accept some responsibility for sending the a$$clowns to Washington.

(I'm not really sure what an a$$clown is, but I saw it on the net the other day and it keeps coming to mind.)

It's more comfortable to blame a major and a governor in a jurisdiction where the blamers don't vote.

What the fingerpointers refuse to recognize is that most of the mayor's and governor's resources are simply gone.

I was at the Astrodome yesterday and most I had contact with were furious
at the local government. The inability of the levee system to withstand a Cat 4 or 5 had been known for decades. Betsy hit NO in 1965 and was a fast moving Cat 3 and NO flooded. Local officials did order a mandatory evacuation
yet those I talked with said they were told if they had no transportation to go to the Superdome and expect to be there two days without power and water. Yet the buses here were not used to evacuate the poor and elderly
and hospitalized to Baton Rouge or Lake Charles or Houston! The local politicians seem to be able to provide transportation for the poor on Election Day to get them to the polls yet cannot/will not provide transportation to save their lives from a Cat 4 cane that they know will cause major flooding.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/flpc21109012015

tybee204 said:
Lets keep the posts on the topic and not the other posters. Every opinion is valid on WS. We may not agree with each other but all are entitled to their opinion.

I'm sorry, Tybee. I'm the prime offender here. I will endeavor to control myself.

TexMex said:
I was at the Astrodome yesterday and most I had contact with were furious
at the local government. The inability of the levee system to withstand a Cat 4 or 5 had been known for decades. Betsy hit NO in 1965 and was a fast moving Cat 3 and NO flooded.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/flpc21109012015

I know, it's really terrible. The local government has been asking for money for years to repair the levee, but just couldn't get the federal funding. :(

ETA: P.S. Did you see the story on the guy who just took a bus, picked people up and drove to Texas? What a hero!

Nova said:
I'm sorry, Tybee. I'm the prime offender here. I will endeavor to control myself.

No, I think it is me and I will also control myself :eek: -- but I'm glad I got that off my chest!!

I don't see how anyone can defend the Federal Administration at the moment, but to be fair, the corruption and incompetence of local and state government in Louisiana is rather legendary. (I'm not calling the NO mayor or the LA governor corrupt; I'm just acknowledging that the area has been badly governed for centuries.)

This does not, however, excuse incompetence in Washington.

Olivia77 said:
I never thought I'd hear that one on Websleuths. And I suppose the children getting raped by the thugs in the city right now were "asking for it," when they were at 711 looting for food because they didn't evacuate?
I never implied a criminal act like rape was on par with stupidity or irresponsibility for ignoring a mandatory evacuation. I watched too many people who were being told to evacuate laugh it off saying "I've been through hurricanes before and I'll make it through this one." One woman had her 3 year-old daughter on her hip. I wonder where they are now!!? And I haven't heard anyone complain about looters taking food or water. It's the TVs, electronics, jewelry and 10 pair of Reeboks I have trouble with.

Ntegrity said:
I never implied a criminal act like rape was on par with stupidity or irresponsibility for ignoring a mandatory evacuation. I watched too many people who were being told to evacuate laugh it off saying "I've been through hurricanes before and I'll make it through this one." One woman had her 3 year-old daughter on her hip. I wonder where they are now!!? And I haven't heard anyone complain about looters taking food or water. It's the TVs, electronics, jewelry and 10 pair of Reeboks I have trouble with.

Thanks for clarifying, it's just when I hear victim + their fault, I bristle. And there were people who *could not* get out, I don't think it's right to put them in with the roving gangs who stayed for reasons like you mentioned above, to get their new plasma tv.

Cypros said:
No, I think it is me and I will also control myself :eek: -- but I'm glad I got that off my chest!!

Ditto.

I hope it isn't talking about other posters to say that all of us need to see that people in chaotic, life-threatening circumstances do not always behave well.

Some are heroic, of course, and we rightfully celebrate the heroes. But a significant percentage of any group will panic in the face of thirst, starvation, darkness and death.

Ntegrity said:

Under the circumstances, who cares about a few TVs? Joke is on the looters anyway - there being no electricity with which to run appliances.

Olivia77 said:
...when I hear victim + their fault, I bristle...
I agree. To me, "victim" means something bad has happened to someone beyond his/her control. I think that we are labeling everyone affected by the storm as "victims." In actuality, many of those left behind chose not to leave even though they were given advance warning and offered assistance to do so.

I wouldn't want to be in that position, no matter what. However, I feel the worst for the true victims that didn't have the ability to leave the city. :(

The senseless looting was the first free pass to Anarchy. When I saw 3 NOLA police officers in uniform looting a store I was totally dumbfounded. The system broke down from the bottem all the way to the top. But the buck has to stop somewhere.

I have a question guys. I have an email from one of the New Orleans brides from my bride-board about her experience that I'd like to share. Where can I post it?

Nova said:
Under the circumstances, who cares about a few TVs? Joke is on the looters anyway - there being no electricity with which to run appliances.

And when they are FINALLY evacuated they will have to leave the TVs behind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member