Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

But how did walking off into the fields kill him? Usually, that's not a fatal move. I just can't see anything that makes sense, except maybe if he had a heart attack. Hope the awaited reports tell more.
This is likely what nobody wants to talk about... If cause of death was exposure or hypothermia, it wouldn't have been quick. He would likely have still been alive (maybe not conscious) when searchers were out looking for him.

Those psychics that Sarah talked to were worthless, as expected. I realize she only spoke to them out of desperation.

Well, one did say she "saw" him near water... So there was a creek near where he was found....
Could have been dry; but with the winter storms, may have been full then....We will never know
exactly what happened. (I do not believe in physics either.)

I’ve always thought he committed suicide from day one. He parked on a road opposite his normal route because it’s more desolate imo. I think he struggled with his decision. Hence driving slowly to where he parked. Threw his jacket but decided to go the other direction last minute. IMO he deliberately walked off into the cold and froze to death. Too many things point to suicide imo. I think he was mentally and physically exhausted and saw no other way out. Moo
But why did he even bother to pick up the pigs? I just don’t get it. We know there were no visible signs of trauma, so no gun.
How?

But why did he even bother to pick up the pigs? I just don’t get it. We know there were no visible signs of trauma, so no gun.
How?
Probably also rule out knife and blunt force trauma. There must not have been a rope left around his neck either or other obvious signs that David was violently killed.

I'm waiting on the ME to announce the official Manner of Death (Nature, Accident, Suicide, Homicide or Undetermined) and cause of death before making any assumption to what may have lead to David being found in a farm field.

And until the toxicology report is completed and reviewed by the ME no announcement will be made. Which could take months. One good thing, if LE doesn't announce anything pertaining to the ME ruling, I think Sarah will.

Hopefully the manner of death can be determined and his death will not go on to being a mystery. Or at the very least it can be determined Homicide was not a factor, if that is possible with an Undetermined ruling. David could have been strangled by someone using their hands and with the amount of time before he was found and state of decomposition, visible signs of strangulation may not be visible.

Maybe the poison someone was feeding him finally got to the level were he could no longer make rational decisions and took off walking and eventually froze to death. Who knows? (Don't take that as an assumption as to what lead to his death. It's just a possible way of killing someone with no visible signs of trauma. But it would explain a lot)

JMO

Last edited:
If a grid search is the “gold standard” as someone mentioned, then why not do a grid “search” via drone, and have a team look over the saved images?

A drone can, to my knowledge, fly lower than a helicopter, and their programs now include mapping with GPS information.

A friend in Iowa has been using a special drone package for crop dusting his and others’ fields for the last two seasons. I’ll ask him about using a drone for missing persons searches.

In mostly wide open fields, I’d think a drone would be very helpful. What am I missing?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... I do not think that a volunteer search organization member should give interviews contradicting police during an investigation. I agree with an earlier post that said they may be less likely invited to help authorities in the future.

The concept of a grid search is very detailed and interesting to me. I know in some instances they have used police and FBI students.

I'm glad David has been found. I always felt he got out and ran off on his own. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a grid search is the “gold standard” as someone mentioned, then why not do a grid “search” via drone, and have a team look over the saved images?

A drone can, to my knowledge, fly lower than a helicopter, and their programs now include mapping with GPS information.

A friend in Iowa has been using a special drone package for crop dusting his and others’ fields for the last two seasons. I’ll ask him about using a drone for missing persons searches.

In mostly wide open fields, I’d think a drone would be very helpful. What am I missing?
If I’m recalling correctly, the drones that were used had thermal imaging cameras and didn’t take video, sadly. If he passed away shortly after the truck stopped, by the time they got thermal imaging devices in the air, they may have been almost useless. I’ve always thought a grid search as you suggested with drones would be simple enough. I’ve seen some amazingly clear HD footage by some SAR teams on other cases.

Where is the verified LE statement about the condition of DS's body when found?

I have only seen quotes from people who are not LE.

Same question, as condition of the body after being in the open for even less time might well preclude gunshot, (thru and thru), knife, blunt force trauma, or garrote application.
As for LE two options: A quiet continual investigation has been going on, and will continue until arrests are made. The one I believe could still possibly happen with the discovery of the body.
Or the other.. Inept LE work at the outset and ride the unexplained mental/medical line to sadly close the case.. Depends on the integrity and character of the LE involved.

Where is the verified LE statement about the condition of DS's body when found?

I have only seen quotes from people who are not LE.
Unless you are talking about the state of decomposition, there is this statement from the DCI:

A new press release from the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation says authorities don't suspect foul play in the death of David Schultz, 53, the Wall Lake trucker who went missing in November.

Preliminary autopsy results show no signs of trauma or serious injury, and further autopsy test results are pending.

A grid search, as I understand it, is amongst the most involved and technical forms of search and involves literal boots on the ground, engaging in the terrain and vegetation on a granular level. It’s expensive in time and people. It cannot be replicated virtually.

I don’t think you’re missing anything, except that no one plumped to pay for a drone and, though the private properties in the area are certainly wide and flat, they were not “open,” as such. These are agricultural fields. There is vegetation. These are the circumstances that regularly lead to failed searches and human remains being unexpectedly “come upon” as the conditions change, become milder, and property owners revisit their land for prep and plant season.

Family spokesman: Second autopsy of David Schultz planned, 'Don't feel comfortable with results'​

A spokesman for David Schultz's family told The Journal Friday they plan to have a private forensic pathology firm conduct a second autopsy on the Wall Lake, Iowa, trucker's body.
Jake Rowley, of the United Cajun Navy, said Schultz's wife, Sarah, gave him permission to set up a online fundraiser. He said they hope to raise at least $10,000 to cover the cost of a second autopsy, as well as Schultz's funeral expenses.

A grid search, as I understand it, is amongst the most involved and technical forms of search and involves literal boots on the ground, engaging in the terrain and vegetation on a granular level. It’s expensive in time and people. It cannot be replicated virtually.

I don’t think you’re missing anything, except that no one plumped to pay for a drone and, though the private properties in the area are certainly wide and flat, they were not “open,” as such. These are agricultural fields. There is vegetation. These are the circumstances that regularly lead to failed searches and human remains being unexpectedly “come upon” as the conditions change, become milder, and property owners revisit their land for prep and plant season.

You are correct about a grid search being involved and technical, especially when LE is looking for evidence regarding a crime.

My thought here is that LE was looking for a man, and I’d think a video of the surrounding area—much like an aerial view of a property for sale—would be a way to cover more ground than possible by the manpower and time available.

I apologize for erroneously describing the wide open fields. I’m from pine-covered hills and mountains, and sagebrush-covered plains with buttes and breaks, and a stubble-covered corn field feels pretty open to me. Meaning, sight distance can be fairly far sometimes.

I also know that what looks flat rarely is as flat as it might appear. But I still think a flyover by a drone or two taking video, in the areas where it would make sense—like over a stubble-covered corn field, and other fields and pastures without overhead canopies—might have yielded answers long before now.

Just my opinion, obviously. And I know little about actual drone usage. So, I’ll do some research on drone costs and usage, and satisfy my curiosity about their use in searching for humans. There must be a reason they aren’t being used very often.

Family spokesman: Second autopsy of David Schultz planned, 'Don't feel comfortable with results'​

A spokesman for David Schultz's family told The Journal Friday they plan to have a private forensic pathology firm conduct a second autopsy on the Wall Lake, Iowa, trucker's body.
Jake Rowley, of the United Cajun Navy, said Schultz's wife, Sarah, gave him permission to set up a online fundraiser. He said they hope to raise at least $10,000 to cover the cost of a second autopsy, as well as Schultz's funeral expenses.

More fundraisers?

Is JR the one who was commenting on the condition of David's body? If so, I feel like he is causing more grief and preventing closure. I'm still confused how he would have seen the body if he didn't find it.

Is JR the one who was commenting on the condition of David's body? If so, I feel like he is causing more grief and preventing closure. I'm still confused how he would have seen the body if he didn't find it.
Yes, he was the one commenting on the condition of DS' remains.

I'm hitting a paywall on the article, does it say why there is dissatisfaction with the first autopsy results? And who is dissatisfied?

And then there is this:

"Not that I do not trust the officials and what they do, I definitely do," said Rowley, who noted some test results, such as toxicology, have not come back. "There's other parts of this that haven't been completely returned yet. There may be something in that, you know, that hasn't been brought to our attention yet."

Andthis:

During that interview, Rowley also asserted that Schultz's body was in a state of decomposition inconsistent with having been out in the elements for more than five months; the body, he said, was not as decomposed as it should have been under the circumstances, implying that it may have been discarded later.

And if your not puzzled by all that consider this:

On Friday, Rowley said, from his understanding, Schultz's body was "unrecognizable" outside of the cowboy boots and dental records.
"Trying to be able to do a thorough autopsy on a body that has a state of decomposition is hard. And so, maybe something was missed, maybe it wasn't," he said. "I'm not an autopsy professional. I'm a search and rescue professional. When it comes to those things, I have to count on the professionals to do what they do, and that's kind of why we're looking at doing a second autopsy."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back