IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just do not know what to make of this case. The guy who said he spent time with her the night before, the felon who may have been in the area, the journal leaked by a police chief's wife, the tip about three police officers being the perps.
I agree-there are many possibilities here. Some thoughts

1. John VanSice was/is a bit strange, but I don't know if I believe he was responsible. The spot in the parking lot where Jodi was taken showed evidence of a struggle. If it was VanSice in the parking lot waiting for Jodi, he could have just said "Hey, let me give you a ride to work so we can chat, I really want to tell you something important, etc." There are ways he could have gotten Jodi into a car without a struggle. The scene suggests she was surprised and accosted.
2. Random stalker: To me this is very likely. Sometimes disturbed people fixate on news casters. Maybe someone unknown was watching her.
3. Inside Job by LE: This is very interesting, and the motive could have been Jodi's investigation into the death of her friend a few weeks prior. Maybe the word got out that Jodi was going to dig into the case and LE wanted to silence her because they were somehow involved in it. Sounds far fetched, but stranger things have happened.
4. The leaked journals: What stood out to me is that on Disappeared, it was stated that the "motive for the chief's wife leaking the journal has not been disclosed" I'm assume she needed money in a bad way and knew the paper would pay for the journals. It was in bad taste, but I don't see how it changed anything about the case.

Also, lest we forget, the Police Officer said, they found the "toilet seat up" in Jodie's apartment, which to them meant, a man was there in the apt.

So I'm watching "Disappeared". I'm fairly familiar with the case so I'm just watching it as a refresher and to see if there's any new info presented.

One of the LE officers was quoted as saying they 'didn't have enough evidence for a search warrant' (to search John Vansice's residence).

Ahem. Excuse me... couldn't they simply ASK? If he refused then my alarm bells would be going off left and right.

Exactly what I thought. Why didn't they just ASK to search his residence etc. After all he said Jodi had been there and he was the last to see her. It's legit for them to ask to search. And if he denies them then thats at least one more indicator for them to keep looking at him.

Exactly what I thought. Why didn't they just ASK to search his residence etc. After all he said Jodi had been there and he was the last to see her. It's legit for them to ask to search. And if he denies them then thats at least one more indicator for them to keep looking at him.

Yes, I found that strange. If he was the last person to see Jodi, you would think it would be priority one to search his place for any clues. Lots of strange things in this case. I don't know what to make of the toilet seat being up, but LE found it significant enough to mention on the Disappeared show. Was Jodi's apartment completely secured and checked for DNA evidence? I don't recall. We know that Jodi overslept. That to me seems strange to for someone who was so dedicated to her job. Were she and VanSice up late? Having drinks? She then at least made it to the parking lot where she met with obvious foul play. Whatever happened to her happened in the parking lot.

Also, lest we forget, the Police Officer said, they found the "toilet seat up" in Jodie's apartment, which to them meant, a man was there in the apt.

My :twocents: is that the male friend who said Jodi was at his place that night is lying and that he actually went to her place. Hence the toilet seat up. She rejected his advances. He waits in the parking lot all night stewing and building up rage, ambushes her when she comes out to get into her car. It's clear from the evidence that she was blitz attacked, knocked to the ground and then dragged off - possibly unconscious. The male friend didn't just lure her into his car because he was highly angry and intended to hurt her.

The only thing is - if the toilet seat was up because of the male friend visiting her the night before - why was it still up?? Idk about other people but I don't think I could go for hours and hours without having to pee! Assuming that it was the only toilet in the apartment how was the seat still up when she left that morning? An overnight male guest would be one explanation. But we have no evidence that Jodi had an overnight male guest or even had a boyfriend.

So my theory about the toilet seat is this: Jodi had already gotten ready for bed when the male friend stopped by. She let him in and he was there long enough to use the toilet. He made advances, she rejects him, he leaves and Jodi goes straight to bed. She is woken by the phone call in the morning informing her that she is late for work and consequently she leaves the house in a huge rush and doesn't even use the bathroom before leaving. Thus the toilet seat is still up.

My question would be - was there evidence that she had used the shower before leaving? If so, that could also explain the toilet seat being up. Not to get too gross but people have been known to pee in the shower & maybe that's what happened here - especially because she was in such a rush to get out of the house.

Either way I think that's why the toilet seat was up & I think her male friend is the perp.

Yes, I found that strange. If he was the last person to see Jodi, you would think it would be priority one to search his place for any clues. Lots of strange things in this case. I don't know what to make of the toilet seat being up, but LE found it significant enough to mention on the Disappeared show. Was Jodi's apartment completely secured and checked for DNA evidence? I don't recall. We know that Jodi overslept. That to me seems strange to for someone who was so dedicated to her job. Were she and VanSice up late? Having drinks? She then at least made it to the parking lot where she met with obvious foul play. Whatever happened to her happened in the parking lot.

I agree that the having drinks scenario is plausible. I think JVS was possibly trying to get Jodi in a receptive mood to try and make a move on her. I think she may have gotten a little drunk and that's why she overslept and that's why it took her so long to wake up and answer the phone.

I wish we knew if there were dirty glasses in the sink!

I agree with you. Maybe he decided to tell her he had really strong feelings for her that night and she did not reciprocate. Perhaps he was at her place and not vice versa.

:twocents:

I hadn't read that much about JVS previously, or I guess I didn't realize he fit into the scheme of things as prominently as he did. I don't think Jodi was at his place that night. Like the police said, the timeline was just too tight. If they were together that night, I agree with most of you and think that he was at her place. I think he was very strange; just watching and listening to him last night brought up some new possibilities for me in this case. I DVRd the show and need to watch it again. Jodi's family was saying that they kind of always believed JVS was on the periphery, so to speak, but I think he very much thought he was almost "exclusive" with Jodi. I know she didn't feel the same way about him. I always believed this crime was committed at random, by someone who had been stalking Jodi possibly. But after hearing more about JVS last night and just seeing how strange he acted at times, I have a whole new feeling about it. The weird thing is, I didn't get from the show last night that the police thought he was much of a person of interest, unless I missed something. Definitely need to watch it again.

:twocents:

I hadn't read that much about JVS previously, or I guess I didn't realize he fit into the scheme of things as prominently as he did. I don't think Jodi was at his place that night. Like the police said, the timeline was just too tight. If they were together that night, I agree with most of you and think that he was at her place. I think he was very strange; just watching and listening to him last night brought up some new possibilities for me in this case. I DVRd the show and need to watch it again. Jodi's family was saying that they kind of always believed JVS was on the periphery, so to speak, but I think he very much thought he was almost "exclusive" with Jodi. I know she didn't feel the same way about him. I always believed this crime was committed at random, by someone who had been stalking Jodi possibly. But after hearing more about JVS last night and just seeing how strange he acted at times, I have a whole new feeling about it. The weird thing is, I didn't get from the show last night that the police thought he was much of a person of interest, unless I missed something. Definitely need to watch it again.

I think at the end of the show he was mentioned as a POI. He was the only person mentioned as such.

I don't want to malign the guy too much, but he did name his boat after Jodi! He really was into her. It makes sense that he could have been enraged and ambushed Jodi in the parking lot. I still think there is a real possibility of a stalker too, someone that watched her on tv and became obsessed, knew her routines, etc.
I just watched some of the news series put together by local reporters on YouTube. What about the black truck that followed Jodi? Was it mentioned on Disappeared? Apparently a black truck with tinted windows had followed Jodi. She was bothered enough by it to reach out to police and ask for advice on protecting herself. However, I have seen no report of an eyewitness seeing a black truck in her parking lot the day she disappeared. The only report was that of a white van. Someone also mailed a letter to Jodi's sister saying that Jodi had a stalker who was living in a gray house north of her. When police checked it out the guy had passed away. I wonder if that guy had a white van at one time?

I think at the end of the show he was mentioned as a POI. He was the only person mentioned as such.

Thanks, NocturnalLady, I actually missed the last 5 minutes of the show. So I definitely need to watch it and pay really close attention to what was said about JVS again.

I don't want to malign the guy too much, but he did name his boat after Jodi! He really was into her. It makes sense that he could have been enraged and ambushed Jodi in the parking lot. I still think there is a real possibility of a stalker too, someone that watched her on tv and became obsessed, knew her routines, etc.
I just watched some of the news series put together by local reporters on YouTube. What about the black truck that followed Jodi? Was it mentioned on Disappeared? Apparently a black truck with tinted windows had followed Jodi. She was bothered enough by it to reach out to police and ask for advice on protecting herself. However, I have seen no report of an eyewitness seeing a black truck in her parking lot the day she disappeared. The only report was that of a white van. Someone also mailed a letter to Jodi's sister saying that Jodi had a stalker who was living in a gray house north of her. When police checked it out the guy had passed away. I wonder if that guy had a white van at one time?

BBM

That really jumped out at me as a huge red flag when he said he named his boat after her. I just think he thought there was way more to the relationship than what Jodi thought, and that he was obsessed with her.

What IF JVS came to her place to watch a movie instead of his and she went to bed, leaving him to the movie and then he fell asleep on the couch. She gets the phone call that she's late for work, she gets ready JVS is woken up and still hanging around. They leave together. Outside, he attacks her and drags her into his vehicle and takes off with her? He could have spent the night fantasizing about her in the next room and it was too much for him, so he decided to do something about it? JMO

Yes, the black truck was mentioned, but the cop-the one by the last name of Stearn, who was also fingered by the female cop as being involved in Jodi's murder-said it was a dead end

I've been watching the Disappeared episode twice on the DVR and just had a few thoughts. Even though I've followed this case for several years I don't remember the toilet seat being mentioned before. I was thinking about other reasons for having the seat up other than a man being in the apartment. The only 2 reasons I ever flip my toilet seat up are to clean the toilet or to vomit into the toilet. It's not very likely she was cleaning her toilet on a morning she overslept and was late for work, but maybe her tummy was upset or maybe she had a hangover that morning. If she was feeling a little under the weather it might explain why she overslept that morning, like maybe she'd gotten up to vomit a couple times or something, or maybe even had taken some medication to settle her stomach which made her drowsy. If that's the case then the toilet seat has nothing to do with her abduction.

As far as JVS he definitely seems to have had a pretty huge crush on Jodi and I get the feeling it was mostly one-sided. The show says he came running over and told LE he was "the last person to see Jodi alive". Did he actually say it in those exact words? At this point in the investigation he was already assuming she was dead when even LE wasn't sure what exactly had happened yet. The more logical thing for him to have said would be something like, "I was probably the last person to see Jodi before this happened," or something along those lines. And how could you even be certain you actually were the last person to see her if you didn't have any idea what happened after she left your apartment?

Also the show mentions he took a lie detector test and LE has never released the results. If he passed it with flying colors I think the results would have been released right away, if not by LE then certainly by JVS in order to get out from under the cloud of suspicion.

I am still on the fence about his involvement, and I still wonder about the white van that a man in a passing vehicle spotted at the apartments, and I wish the timeline was narrowed a little more exactly on that particular item. If it was the abductor then the van had to have sat there for a while because he couldn't possibly have expected her to oversleep that morning, so he would have had to be lying in wait until she finally came out. I would think others in the apartment complex would have spotted the van if it sat there that long. I'm sure LE questioned all the other tenants about the van, but it still seems like it could have been somebody's early morning ride to work, or maybe someone's illicit overnight guest sneaking out of the parking lot before daylight. There could be some reason why a person in the apartments wouldn't want to admit the person in the van had been in their apartment. I think it's possible Jodi's abductor is someone who has been under the radar this whole time and has never been a suspect.

What IF JVS came to her place to watch a movie instead of his and she went to bed, leaving him to the movie and then he fell asleep on the couch. She gets the phone call that she's late for work, she gets ready JVS is woken up and still hanging around. They leave together. Outside, he attacks her and drags her into his vehicle and takes off with her? He could have spent the night fantasizing about her in the next room and it was too much for him, so he decided to do something about it? JMO

I think if he was already inside he would have chosen to assault her there - much more private. I think his being "kicked out" was possibly the last straw thing that incited his rage and he hung around outside all night stewing about it.

I've been watching the Disappeared episode twice on the DVR and just had a few thoughts. Even though I've followed this case for several years I don't remember the toilet seat being mentioned before. I was thinking about other reasons for having the seat up other than a man being in the apartment. The only 2 reasons I ever flip my toilet seat up are to clean the toilet or to vomit into the toilet. It's not very likely she was cleaning her toilet on a morning she overslept and was late for work, but maybe her tummy was upset or maybe she had a hangover that morning. If she was feeling a little under the weather it might explain why she overslept that morning, like maybe she'd gotten up to vomit a couple times or something, or maybe even had taken some medication to settle her stomach which made her drowsy. If that's the case then the toilet seat has nothing to do with her abduction.

As far as JVS he definitely seems to have had a pretty huge crush on Jodi and I get the feeling it was mostly one-sided. The show says he came running over and told LE he was "the last person to see Jodi alive". Did he actually say it in those exact words? At this point in the investigation he was already assuming she was dead when even LE wasn't sure what exactly had happened yet. The more logical thing for him to have said would be something like, "I was probably the last person to see Jodi before this happened," or something along those lines. And how could you even be certain you actually were the last person to see her if you didn't have any idea what happened after she left your apartment?

Also the show mentions he took a lie detector test and LE has never released the results. If he passed it with flying colors I think the results would have been released right away, if not by LE then certainly by JVS in order to get out from under the cloud of suspicion.

I am still on the fence about his involvement, and I still wonder about the white van that a man in a passing vehicle spotted at the apartments, and I wish the timeline was narrowed a little more exactly on that particular item. If it was the abductor then the van had to have sat there for a while because he couldn't possibly have expected her to oversleep that morning, so he would have had to be lying in wait until she finally came out. I would think others in the apartment complex would have spotted the van if it sat there that long. I'm sure LE questioned all the other tenants about the van, but it still seems like it could have been somebody's early morning ride to work, or maybe someone's illicit overnight guest sneaking out of the parking lot before daylight. There could be some reason why a person in the apartments wouldn't want to admit the person in the van had been in their apartment. I think it's possible Jodi's abductor is someone who has been under the radar this whole time and has never been a suspect.

Your reasoning about the toilet seat is def. very valid and a total possibility.

I also dismiss the white van as being involved. It would have been noticed by more people I think. I'm not saying there was never one there but if you knew someone was missing and had seen a white van in the vicinity it would be the first thing that you thought of. It's sort of an obvious boogey man image. There probably was one there but not involved. JMHO

I wonder about this video JVS claims he watched with Jodi. Was it ever shown to have actually existed? If so where was it found? At Jodi's or in possession of JVS. If it was a video tape was it fully rewound or was it down near the end like it had in fact been recently watched.

Personally I think the video was JVS' excuse to go over to Jodi's knowing she would probably let him in. It's possible he planned to try to "seduce" her that night. He may even have slipped her something in her drink and then "put the moves" on her too early and she was able to still reject him and insist that he leave. Maybe whatever he slipped her made Jodi ill and she threw up (explaining the toilet seat up) and it also caused her to over sleep. The friend who called did mention that she sounded really sleepy and it had taken awhile for her to answer the phone. Maybe Jodi had the after effects of being drugged? Maybe JVS thought she would figure out he had drugged her and panicked and "got rid of her".

I also think inserting himself into the case at the earliest opportunity is a major red flag, as well as his "last one to see her alive" statement.

I also think that the boat named Jodi could easily be why her body was never found. There is easy access to many bodies of water very close by and if he admitted to owning a boat then there is every possibility he used it to dispose of her body. That boat should have been searched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox