IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police did say the last video of Lauren shows her leaving Smallwood with a young man, going to his nearby apartment.

A direct quote from Lt. Parker:
"The videos do show her going towards the other apartment, but there's not video directly on that apartment, so that's the last video we have," explained Parker.

http://www.fox59.com/news/education...t-offers-100k-reward-20110609,0,7313102.story

There is NO video of Lauren after she left Rossman's apartment building.

There was a reference to the scream on the Herald-Times online this morning. A homeless man said he was on the railroad tracks and heard a scream a little after LS was last seen.

A couple of issues still seem to be hanging there.

#1) Is there a video of LS with any "young male" at or around 4:15. We have been told that the last person know to have seen her was a JR who lived in a different apt in the same building as CR. There is a bit of a mystery of what exactly happened when CR and LS got to CR's building (at about 2:30). Did CR's friends (including presumably JR) "put him to bed" either due to his intoxication or his injuries from the beating he received at Smallwood? If this is what happened, then was she partying or just "hanging out" with JR and others or what?

#2) There is still the question of the key and small purse that was found in the alley. Do these belong to LS?

Earlier it was reported that the "confrontation" in Smallwoods was caused by friends of LS's boyfriend (JW) who didn't like seeing her with CR. Now it turns out that CR had been "banned" from Smallwoods as a troublemaker. I'm wondering if there is more to this "altercation" that hasn't been reported on. Is it possible that one of these "boys" was also an employee of Smallwoods? That might explain the strange way the additional tapes were obtained. It is likely that JW was aware that LS had been out with CR the night before. That might explain his early "concern" for LS.

I get the impression there is a distinct "divide" in Bloomington between "well off" Easterners who live in the Downtown area and have a "hard partying" Rep and the real Hosiers who live further away.

This case is starting to look like the case of Kristen Smart (from San Luis Obispo Ca). While never officially "solved", it is generally assumed that she was abducted by a fellow student that attended the same party she did and took advantage of the fact that she was very drunk. This other student offered to make sure she "got home safely”. It is suspected that he took her to his room, raped and killed her and then called one or more friends to help him dispose of the body.

If the other guy in the apartment was involved, it's possible LS wasn't ready for her evening to end and knew this guy from before, maybe was a chance to continue partying, like he offered her drinks or something else, or she was still interested in getting back at her boyfriend.

All speculation, but I'm amazed at how the boyfriend has emerged in the media squeeky clean through all of this. Obviously he has not been cleared by LE yet, but the other guys are getting dragged through the mud and he gets nothing. Doesn't add up to me.

The BF may have taken a LDT and passed. Perhaps, he is already accounted for. Also, he seems to be perceived by others as of good character, versus the perception of CR's character.

A direct quote from Lt. Parker:

http://www.fox59.com/news/education...t-offers-100k-reward-20110609,0,7313102.story

There is NO video of Lauren after she left Rossman's apartment building.

Very important point to clear up. TY!
Also, it's sounds like LE believes the last eye witness that saw her leaving and at the corner on her way home after 4am. If that eye witness is to be believed. Do we know how many eye-witnesses actually saw her at his apt? What I'm saying is, how do we know she ever went inside with him other than an eye witness that saw her in the dark, from quite a distance away!

Originally posted by Ven:
All speculation, but I'm amazed at how the boyfriend has emerged in the media squeeky clean through all of this. Obviously he has not been cleared by LE yet, but the other guys are getting dragged through the mud and he gets nothing. Doesn't add up to me.
There's been no info coming out on the BF and his activities that night or morning, other than texting her and getting concerned. I would certainly love to hear his alibi.

The BF may have taken a LDT and passed. Perhaps, he is already accounted for. Also, he seems to be perceived by others as of good character, versus the perception of CR's character.

I don't buy it. Whenever someone close is not considered a suspect, it always comes out in the media immediately that police do not consider so-and-so a suspect or POI.

Also, I take people's perceptions of others with a grain of salt. It really means nothing.
People have a true identity and then they have an identity they like others to see.
Usually we don't know the true identity of even those closest to us.

Money and looks also influence people's judgements way too much.
If you see some poor transient walking down the street you will probably be a little weary of passing this person, but if in the company of someone "well-respected", rich, influential/powerful, doctor, etc. you will feel safe -- but the truth is the well-off are just as morally corrupt as the poor -- they just hide it better.

I get the impression there is a distinct "divide" in Bloomington between "well off" Easterners who live in the Downtown area and have a "hard partying" Rep and the real Hosiers who live further away.

Yes, definitely. Perhaps not so much against East coast people but there's certainly a divide between townies and students. There's also some friction because there has been so much publicity about Jill Behrman and Lauren Spierer and comparatively none about locals who have been murdered in the past year. Whether or not this is because Behrman and Spierer are/were students (although Behrman grew up in Bloomington) or because of socioeconomic status (Behrman's parents live in a quite well-off, well-known neighborhood and it seems as if Spierer's parents have some money) is unclear.

Press Conference:
(not word for word)
I want to start out by saying we will transition to Capt Joe Palters Public Info officer. to address a couple of things, dive team search, was based on a tip, specific locale, did finish that yesterday...negative result. Did a check point this AM, not a traffic CP but wht we did was at 11th and College about same timeframe, same day of week, to see if anyone comes thru regularly, did make contact with 135 cars, not intrusive, just spoke w/everybody, passed out flyers, no results. May do it again.

Did some additional canine seaches last night, negative results. Put out a bit of a plea here, we appreciate video we have received from businesses, but if anyone does have any video we may have missed that may cover the area we are talking about...reach out to us, we would appreciate it very much, etc...

We know that AMW is getting ready to run Lauren's case this Sat. night, FBI helping out with that, capable of managing large quantity of tips, ususually occurs.

After a week, no we are not losing hope, concentrating completely on this case, certainly want to find her alive, hope she is...

We have checked dumpsters, negative.

We asked the drivers at CP do you usually drive this route, etc...

Any search warrants executed? Yes many have been executed.

Searching very thorougly but will gradually expand it out. Will never feel an area is completely covered, that is why we continue to go over it.

Any suspect....AH, my audio just cut out, hope someone else got that?

OK...
We don't have anybody we characterize as a suspect at this time...

cut out again...

not releasing any of it (video) at this point...

when might you?

The divide is warranted.

LS and her family deserve all the attention this story has gotten, but EVERY person/family in this situation should get it too.
The fact that some do and some don't is disturbing.

For instance, Molly Dattilo, a college student in Indianapolis, went missing in pretty much the same manner, but without money and influence, the police didn't even take her case seriously for weeks despite her family putting in A TON of effort, just like LS's family has been great for her case.

Whenever prostitutes or "high risk" people go missing, you hear in the media how these people were marginal, they tend to go missing a lot, their lifestyle gets badmouthed in the media, but then college kids are out goofing around in the middle of the night, using drugs, driving themselves into lakes or choking to death on their own vomit, and then it's "a tragic accident"...

The double standard is just offensive to a lot of people.

(Feed gone again)

I can say, nothing is standing out as new so far...

US Marshalls are helping with a particular type of search, but we don't want to do into details on that...sex offenders being checked? We don't want to go into details on that.

construction workers? We have spoken with many, yes.
We are not prepared to eliminate? anybody. So yes, everybody

Whenever prostitutes or "high risk" people go missing, you hear in the media how these people were marginal, they tend to go missing a lot, their lifestyle gets badmouthed in the media, but then college kids are out goofing around in the middle of the night, using drugs, driving themselves into lakes or choking to death on their own vomit, and then it's "a tragic accident"...

I completely agree. I remember hearing bits and pieces about Crystal Grubb's murder last fall and it was always kind of brushed off as, "Well, she lived a high risk lifestyle."

But it really looks like Lauren did as well.

I'm not judging. I was a young adult once and certainly there by the grace of God go I.

I don't buy it. Whenever someone close is not considered a suspect, it always comes out in the media immediately that police do not consider so-and-so a suspect or POI.

Also, I take people's perceptions of others with a grain of salt. It really means nothing.
People have a true identity and then they have an identity they like others to see.
Usually we don't know the true identity of even those closest to us.

Money and looks also influence people's judgements way too much.
If you see some poor transient walking down the street you will probably be a little weary of passing this person, but if in the company of someone "well-respected", rich, influential/powerful, doctor, etc. you will feel safe -- but the truth is the well-off are just as morally corrupt as the poor -- they just hide it better.

I hear you, Ven. I posted this yesterday:

...Good kids, kids that come from money, educated kids, are just as capable of poor judgement, bad deeds, etc. as other kids. IMO, the mix of alcohol, reported altercations, L's heart condition and youth lead me to suspect that this is not a stranger abduction. Could be wrong, though.

The divide is warranted.

LS and her family deserve all the attention this story has gotten, but EVERY person/family in this situation should get it too.
The fact that some do and some don't is disturbing.

For instance, Molly Dattilo, a college student in Indianapolis, went missing in pretty much the same manner, but without money and influence, the police didn't even take her case seriously for weeks despite her family putting in A TON of effort, just like LS's family has been great for her case.

Exactly. ALso I noticed, the picture they are using on the missing flyer posters looks nothing like Lauren in the other pictures we've seen. Its not a good pick to use that one.

I saw this on the news last night and it reminded me of Holly Bobo. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, may she come home safe and sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal