Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eaarly this morning there was a trailor on one of the news channels about how somewhere on the US coast there were hundreds of fish close to the shore(apparently something very uncommon) and people were speculating because of the change in current due to the tsunami. Of course the scientists were poopooing the idea. Sorry I was half asleep and can't find it anywhere . did anyone else see this or hear anything like it?

Eaarly this morning there was a trailor on one of the news channels about how somewhere on the US coast there were hundreds of fish close to the shore(apparently something very uncommon) and people were speculating because of the change in current due to the tsunami. Of course the scientists were poopooing the idea. Sorry I was half asleep and can't find it anywhere . did anyone else see this or hear anything like it?

Here's a Daily Mail article (with lots of pictures)

Incredible swarms of fish form off coast of Acapulco: But was surge caused by tsunami thousands of miles away?

The fishermen attributed the strange phenomenon to the unusual currents unleashed by tsunami that followed the earthquake in Japan.

Experts couldn't be sure.

'It would fall into that category where you would love to make the connection, but who knows?' said Rich Briggs, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

'Tsunamis can change local currents, but it's hard to make a firm connection.'

"As long as there's no meltdown of the fuel rods, ...

That's as far as it let's me go, so are they saying it won't be as bad as long as there is no meltdown of the fuel rods, or even if there is a meltdown?

"As long as there's no meltdown of the fuel rods, ...

That's as far as it let's me go, so are they saying it won't be as bad as long as there is no meltdown of the fuel rods, or even if there is a meltdown?

Yes, the language twisting is extreme. I especially appreciate the pump statements-- as though the pumps being impaired is trivial. The pumps are critical to the cooling of the rods!

Fox News has just announced that 140,000 people have been evacuated from the areas around the nuclear power plants.

I have heard all sorts of estimates on how many are without power, but the most common one is 6 million with no power, which means 6 million that might not have heat...

CNN reporting from Sendai, saying that there were many trying to get out. Fuel rationing to 10L of gasoline, very long lines at gas stations and supermarkets that are still working. petro chemical facility burning outside the area and it seems to be burning worse than it was an hour ago, because they can't reach it to put it out. The footage from Sendai is the worst I personally have ever seen.

ETA: The rationing statement is not official, but what the reporter said was "People are waiting an hour just to get their 10 L of petro." Seems like rationing to me, however do not take that as official.

International Red Cross has deployed 400 volunteers. Trouble getting to people that need help, trying for 36 hours due to roads that are out and heavy congestion on road that are working.
360 km of coastline affected, and those are the hardest to access.
Sendai has no power, 5 million in that area without light, 1 million without running water. Life in Tokyo is normal-ish.
Priority is to save lives, find those that are trapped. Others are still surrounded by water, and evacuation efforts are ongoing. Temporary centers are holding millions of people, all of whom need food clothing, water, shelter, tents have been set up. Some need medical care and many require intense psychological care. Water and food is low in areas like Tokyo.

I have heard all sorts of estimates on how many are without power, but the most common one is 6 million with no power, which means 6 million that might not have heat...

CNN reporting from Sendai, saying that there were many trying to get out. Fuel rationing to 10L of gasoline, very long lines at gas stations and supermarkets that are still working. petro chemical facility burning outside the area and it seems to be burning worse than it was an hour ago, because they can't reach it to put it out. The footage from Sendai is the worst I personally have ever seen.

ETA: The rationing statement is not official, but what the reporter said was "People are waiting an hour just to get their 10 L of petro." Seems like rationing to me, however do not take that as official.

International Red Cross has deployed 400 volunteers. Trouble getting to people that need help, trying for 36 hours due to roads that are out and heavy congestion on road that are working.
360 km of coastline affected, and those are the hardest to access.
Sendai has no power, 5 million in that area without light, 1 million without running water. Life in Tokyo is normal-ish.
Priority is to save lives, find those that are trapped. Others are still surrounded by water, and evacuation efforts are ongoing. Temporary centers are holding millions of people, all of whom need food clothing, water, shelter, tents have been set up. Some need medical care and many require intense psychological care. Water and food is low in areas like Tokyo.

I heard that estimate about power too. And apparently its going to be cold in Sendai tonight,maybe snow. It just goes from bad to worse.

You know the one thing that has struck me....how hard it is to get a simple answer about anything relating to nuclear stuff. lol. I could have told you thiS:

The different forms of radioactivity being reported at the nuclear accidents in Japan range from relatively benign to extremely worrisome.

I mean REALLY????????????????????

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/science/13radiation.html?src=twrhp Quiche's linkage.

(Reuters) - The Japanese nuclear safety agency rated the damage at a nuclear power plant at Fukushima at a four on a scale of one to seven, which is not quite as bad as the Three Mile Island accident in the United States in 1979, which registered a five. But what does that mean?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-us-fb-idUSTRE72B36C20110312

LEVEL 4 - ACCIDENT WITH LOCAL CONSEQUENCES:

A minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls and fuel melt or damage to fuel resulting in more than 0.1 percent release of core inventory and the release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high probability of significant public exposure

Here's my question. If they don't know how much material was released, how can they even begin to place a rating on it?

Bjorndal finally got an email from her mother Friday, saying she's okay, but things are challenging.

"She's out of electricity and out of heat -- she doesn't have any heat. And my mom and brothers are just eating off what they have right now because all the stores are closed," Bjorndal said.

http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=14238077

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member