Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I read the winds are heading towards tokyo but i can't cite that because I've been reading tons of links.....

Last I read the winds are heading towards tokyo but i can't cite that because I've been reading tons of links.....

Yes, winds in Tokyo, as of 45 min. ago, were out of the northwest. Better than northeast...but probably fluctuates.

FWIW they had a meteorologist on CNN about 5:00 AM - he said for now the winds were coming out of the west blowing east - which is good - that blows it out to sea but that in the next day or so the winds were going to shift and start blowing south - which is NOT good - blows it right into Tokoyo.

:shocked2:866 ngy/h ??
Researching Chernobyl the max I could find that it reached was 250 ngy/h.

I found this in regards to Chernobyl
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...1225be0ab7310f852f22cd7c6bce78b5&searchtype=a

The hazard ratio (HR) per 100 nanoGray/hour (nGy/h) was significantly increased for total malignancies and for several sites; however, contrary to expectations, an obvious and anticipated linear exposure–response relationship could not be identified. With the lowest exposure category (0–60 nGy/h) as reference, a statistically significantly increased HR for total malignancies was seen in all exposure categories, except in the highest category 96–366 nGy/h. For breast cancer, thyroid cancer and leukaemia an obvious exposure–response could not be seen.

BBM Interesting. However, when Chernobyl popped it's cookies, and the big cloud of radiation was circling the globe over and over again, my youngest daughter was not quite 7. All my kids were scared. I told them we wouldn't know for years and years what would happen.

Well, years and years went by, and my youngest daughter has thyroid cancer, an incurable, very rare kind, 12 studies ever done, mostly found in Asians. Can I prove Chernobyl was responsible? No. Can anyone else? I doubt it. Would they tell us if they did know? Do I believe the statement I bolded? NO.

as reported on cnn now we are headed towards a meltdown.. the putting sea water in is a last ditch effort, and probably will not work.

BBM Interesting. However, when Chernobyl popped it's cookies, and the big cloud of radiation was circling the globe over and over again, my youngest daughter was not quite 7. All my kids were scared. I told them we wouldn't know for years and years what would happen.

Well, years and years went by, and my youngest daughter has thyroid cancer, an incurable, very rare kind, 12 studies ever done, mostly found in Asians. Can I prove Chernobyl was responsible? No. Can anyone else? I doubt it. Would they tell us if they did know? Do I believe the statement I bolded? NO.

My aunt died from Three Mile Island exposure. She lived in Harrisburg. They never took blame for her either. She was dx a couple months after TMI and died within 6 months.

I"m so sorry sleuthster and trident ((HUGS)) for your families

omg...wow

I am digging for reliable information about exposure to 750 rads of radiation... from what I've found, it's not good. Not good at all... OMG, is right.

I'm trying to get beyond the forums.

Reminder: Using Websleuths to promote any mass campaign must go through Tricia for approval.

Everything I do of that nature is approved by her first, was there a mass campaign I missed out on? I always miss the fun, lol.

http://solarstorms.org/Sradiation.html

Quote: For radiation exposure to really make you sick and die, you have to receive a lot of it in a short time. In terms of the Rad unit where 1 Rad of X-rays equalled 1000 millirem, we can estimate the various levels of sickness and death from different radiation dosages that are administered in a short period of time over the entire body (from an atomic bomb blast for example):

then follow the list of intensities. :(

I am digging for reliable information about exposure to 750 rads of radiation... from what I've found, it's not good. Not good at all... OMG, is right.

I read it to, Quiche -- not good at all. There is speculation on the web this map is highly exaggerated (crossing fingers here). 750 rads would pretty much wipe out 50% of the west coast if levels were sustained for any length of time.

I can only hope and pray that the reactors stay intact. 5,000 miles isn't that far away looking at the big picture.

Hugs,

Mel

HOw much radiation is a person exposed to in a standard xray??

We each recieve about 500rads a year from background radiation. 750 is not that bad, and is not more than you get from some medical procedures. A VQ scan can give up to 700 rads and I've had three of them with no effects.

Everything I do of that nature is approved by her first, was there a mass campaign I missed out on? I always miss the fun, lol.
Someone tried to rally support to have you ousted from the community, but I shut it down.

Ok back on topic :) This is serious stuff.

We each recieve about 500rads a year from background radiation. 750 is not that bad, and is not more than you get from some medical procedures. A VQ scan can give up to 700 rads and I've had three of them with no effects.

Millirems, not rads. 1000 millirems equal 1 rad.

Ok - here's a thought. IF that "cloud" floats over the Pacific and into our west coast - isn't there some type of something that could be flown over and "seeded" into the air to kinda maybe disperse it? Kinda like they used to try to "seed" the hurricanes to stop them from intensifying. With all the time it would take to float over the Pacific - I would think this could be a possibility - fly over "the cloud" and seed it to disperse the potential for damage on our west coast.

Did that make any sense?

Millirems, not rads. 1000 millirems equal 1 rad.

Millirems is what we're talking about here, or millirems in regard to what I'm saying? I have the hospital sheets, stating 500 rads. That's what I'm going off of, because that's the only reference point that I personally have for radiation.

I'm not doubting you, you seem a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff than me, I'm just trying to get my head on straight.

I just can't believe it would be that strong 6,000 miles away. I'm still searching around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname