LA LA - Eugenie Boisfontaine, 34, Baton Rouge, 13 June 1997 - "Killing Fields"

This article from 2004 says they found her DL and credit cards at the lake and found her keys in the area days later. http://www.lsureveille.com/cold-case-reopened/article_5075dc3c-8ab9-5e54-9008-667aa5c030a5.html

Who goes walking or jogging with credit cards?

She was last seen by an exterminator. I hope he was ruled out.
I do. :) I walk with keys, phone, credit cards all tucked in a wristlet, but I get your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's interesting that the professor/jogger found the credit cards laid out in a circular pattern right on the path around the lakes. That could add to the notion that they were planted there, and didn't just fall out as she was being dragged away. On the other hand, since she was known to enjoy long walks along the lakes, it's possible that a friendly stranger struck up a conversation, and she was caught off guard.

Actually, I'm more curious about the bar right now, and the sketchy owner. What's up with that dude? :thinking:

https://books.google.com/books?id=o...boisfontaine credit cards in a circle&f=false

Yeah, that Owner is sketchy. My first thought is that he knows more than he is letting on.

Another thing I wonder about is the idea that Eugenie's body could not have been in that ditch for 3 months. So what is the time and date of death? Was she held hostage as a sex slave and then killed. Or was she killed and her body put in a freezer or first buried in a shallow grave, etc?

What happened to her from the moment of abduction to death? She obviously suffered (more than one DNA on underwear) and I think we owe it to her to find out how horrific of a death she had. Someone harmed and murdered her and we owe it to her to find out who that is.

A little background for the summer of 1997. Eugenie was reported missing on June 13, 1997.

World events for June 1997:

Timothy mcVeigh was found guilty of 1995 Oklahoma City bombings.
Mark McGwire hits a 538 foot home run.
Christies auctions off Princess Di's clothes for 5.5 million

And for the summer 1997:

princess Diana killed in car wreck on August 31, 1997
July 8: mayo clinic warned about diet drug fen-phen
august 1: Steve Jobs returns to apple computer
South Park debuts on comedy channel

It helps me to see the time frame in which Eugenie went missing and her body found....

I was pregnant in the summer 1997. These kids are 18 now. High school seniors or freshmen in college. That's how long ago she disappeared.

I'm not sure I see this as a stranger/boogeyman abduction. Wouldn't stats back up that this is more likely someone known to her?

The book cited above says she sometimes walked to the lake with a bottle of wine and two glasses and said it was in case she met someone who wanted a glass of wine with her. (Lonely and hopeful).

Maybe she was actually meeting up and having wine with somone.

The book above paints a pic of her as lonely and delusional. Hopeful wine. Walking around the lake in long dress and old coat.

Whether she was meeting someone for wine or was delusional and mentally ill, I still think her murderer was known to her.

I seem to come back to a scenario where she was abducted at her house by someone she let in.

Just watched first two episodes.
Liking the genuine detectives.
Alligator Bar Man - probably nervous about other illegal activities regarding his establishment and the popo.

This show has me hook, line, and sinker. Maybe it's because I was born in Baton Rouge, and despite the fact that I've been a Mississippian for 41 of my 43 years, I'm undeniably drawn to all things SE Louisiana. I love the ID channel, but a lot of it is soooo cheesy. This show is the real deal, though. The cinematography is just magnificent and the juxtaposition of old detective and new detective is just great. It's like the first season of HBO's True Detective, only real life. I can't wait to see how this one shakes out.

I did also figure the bar owner is just uncomfortable with le presence at his bar for whatever else are his reasons

I did also figure the bar owner is just uncomfortable with le presence at his bar for whatever else are his reasons
Could be, and that wouldn't be out of the norm for the owner of an out of the way, honky tonk juke joint biker bar that caters to college kids, except for those who are "protected", if you know what I mean. We are talking about south Louisiana, after all, where you pay to play. And now I have to remind myself that we're talking about real life characters. So I'll stop there, and say only that I'm with Aubry. That guy's demeanor was way over the top.

ETA: Impressive surveillance system, yet he calls out, "Who is it?" Lol.

I am sure there are dozens of stories to be told about the Alligator Bayou Bar but most will probably never be told.

I found this from 2011:

3 arrests made in murder at closed bar
Posted: Jun 21, 2011 5:15 PM PDT
Updated: Jun 28, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

http://www.wafb.com/story/14952500/two-arrested-two-wanted-for-murder-at-closed-bar

PRAIRIEVILLE, LA (WAFB) - Four people are facing charges after fishermen found the body of a 27-year-old Baton Rouge man early Saturday morning near an out-of-business bar.

The Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office said Joshua Banks was shot to death at the Alligator Bayou Bar in Prairieville.

The bar has been closed for months.​

More...

Working backwards I found some information regarding the bar at this link:

http://www.225batonrouge.com/article/gator-bar-gets-going-again

It seems that back in 1993, Jim Ragland and Frank Bonifay basically purchased the bar when they purchased the land it was on (the Alligator Bayou and Bluff Swamp area). The bar stayed open until 2006 when the popularity of the Alligator Bayou Tours exploded. Management didn't have time to maintain the bar and so they closed it. However, in 2009 with the bayou tours business apparently on hold, (for some reason) they reopened it on November 1, 2009. It was only open one night a week, Sundays from 8 to 2 with live music. And, as can be seen in the previous article, it closed again in 2011.

Adding:

It seems that in 2009, the governments of Iberville and Ascension opened a floodgate that caused the water in the bayou to go too low to operate in the Alligator Bayou.

"Alligator Bayou’s navigability could have been maintained if the water level had merely been lowered to 3.8 feet to 4 feet— what he called the historical bank level— but the opening of the floodgate drained’ the bayou and left just six inches of water."

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southcentral/2012/03/27/240895.htm

And this article from 2001:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/nov/11/travel/tr-2819

snippet

"Soon I was trotting to Cajun music--stumbling along, really, to a very upbeat rhythm--on a canopied boat called the Alligator Queen as we cruised through the Alligator Bayou, 45 minutes from Vacherie, close to Baton Rouge in the town of Prairieville. The guys who run the wackiest bayou tour in the area (it's a combination of stand-up comedy, eco-tourism and dance lessons) are actually serious environmentalists.

In 1993, Jim Ragland and Frank Bonifay learned that hundreds of acres of bottomland hardwoods from Spanish Lake (about three miles from Alligator Bayou) were going to end up in a lumber mill and that the bayou would probably be chopped up into suburban backyards. With the money they had earned as roofers (they hit it big after Hurricane Andrew in 1992), they purchased the land and created a wildlife refuge and botanical gardens.

"Come with me," Jim said, as I stepped off the boat after the 90-minute cruise up the bayou and to the flats. "I want you to meet some of my friends."

Jim's alligator "friends" live in a nearby pond. As a 12-footer slithered out of the liquid slime, Jim handed me a chicken leg and told me to drop it in the gator's maw. Still flush with my success as a dancer, I fed the beast, and only after I heard its jaws snap shut--akin to the slamming of a car trunk--did I realize how brave or stupid I had been."​

Anyhow, I am not sure which person it was that Rodie and Aubrey spoke with but I think the hesitancy was because they have recently had their land taken over by the parish.

This article from June 2014 talks about it:

Judge rules Iberville Parish allowed to expropriate Alligator Bayou property

http://www.postsouth.com/article/20140612/news/140619841

Posted Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM

PLAQUEMINE - 18th Judicial District Judge J. Robin Free ruled May 28 in favor of Iberville Parish Government in a suit to expropriate 1.16 acres of land from an Ascension Parish man.

Parish officials have attempted to obtain the land since 2011 for a project to improve drainage with an upgrade to a floodgate on Alligator Bayou. When those efforts failed a suit followed.
Free’s ruling followed a two-day bench trial and requires the parish pay owner Frank Bonifay $72,544 for the land.

Bonifay is the owner of the now defunct Alligator Bayou Swamp Tours and owns more than 1,200 acres in the Spanish Lake Basin.

His property along Manchac Road includes the parcel of land at the center of the dispute and the Frog Bayou floodgate in Ascension.

Bonifay has claimed that since the locks were opened thrice within the last five years flooding the basin, it has devalued his property and forced his swamp tours out of business.

So, with all that background, I just don't see the guy as particularly suspect. I do see him as possibly not too fond or trusting of governmental types.

I do. :) I walk with keys, phone, credit cards all tucked in a wristlet, but I get your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's interesting that the professor/jogger found the credit cards laid out in a circular pattern right on the path around the lakes. That could add to the notion that they were planted there, and didn't just fall out as she was being dragged away. On the other hand, since she was known to enjoy long walks along the lakes, it's possible that a friendly stranger struck up a conversation, and she was caught off guard.

Actually, I'm more curious about the bar right now, and the sketchy owner. What's up with that dude? :thinking:

https://books.google.com/books?id=o...boisfontaine credit cards in a circle&f=false

Thank you for the articles and book link. I haven't had time to read much. Any idea where she moved from?
I agree the bar owner looks sketchy. I didn't realize she was found so close to the bar. I'll have to go back and rewatch that part of the show. I wonder how no one else realized she was there when they walked into the bar? It's one thing to be walking out, probably drunk when they leave and not smell it but you would think they would smell her when walking in.

It's hard for me to imagine that she was attacked and all her credit cards and id fell out in one spot.

Unless I missed something and a whole purse was found, car/house keys, etc.

Hopefully the question of whether she carried a wallet or purse will be answered in coming episodes. It sounds like her credit cards were planted for someone to find.

I'm not sure I see this as a stranger/boogeyman abduction. Wouldn't stats back up that this is more likely someone known to her?

The book cited above says she sometimes walked to the lake with a bottle of wine and two glasses and said it was in case she met someone who wanted a glass of wine with her. (Lonely and hopeful).

Maybe she was actually meeting up and having wine with somone.

The book above paints a pic of her as lonely and delusional. Hopeful wine. Walking around the lake in long dress and old coat.

Whether she was meeting someone for wine or was delusional and mentally ill, I still think her murderer was known to her.

I seem to come back to a scenario where she was abducted at her house by someone she let in.

Her car was in the driveway where she usually parked it so she could have been home or walking at the lake. No sign of forced entry like the victims of Derrick Todd Lee who is ruled out. She could have also been at the bar when abducted and if she was at the bar, she would have needed a ride there.

Map link

Another thing I wonder about is the idea that Eugenie's body could not have been in that ditch for 3 months. So what is the time and date of death? Was she held hostage as a sex slave and then killed. Or was she killed and her body put in a freezer or first buried in a shallow grave, etc?

What happened to her from the moment of abduction to death? She obviously suffered (more than one DNA on underwear) and I think we owe it to her to find out how horrific of a death she had. Someone harmed and murdered her and we owe it to her to find out who that is.

I started watching it because my friend believes her sister was killed at a swamp in a different state. I wanted to get a feel for it because I don't have any experience with swamps. I wonder the same thing after what the lady that found her said because it sounds like she should have been long gone at that point.

Praying they find at least one of the men that murdered her.

Look at Hannah Graham. Her body was picked clean by animal scavengers within days IIRC. No way Eugenie's body was out there long.

To clarify where she moved from:

Eugenie was born and raised in a very wealthy family in New Orleans. She went to LSU for undergraduate degree, moved back to the greater New Orleans area...married and divorced.. Then moved back to Baton Rouge to attend LSU for graduate school.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back