LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing man's family refuses to give up hope

Shane Fell's face has been all over New Orleans for months. Since he disappeared in June, his image has been reproduced on countless fliers, signs and T-shirts. It has been etched in the hearts of family and friends attending candlelight vigils, benefit concerts and memory walks. And drivers crossing the Crescent City Connection see his photograph on an electronic billboard.

But despite all those efforts, the last clue about Fell's whereabouts was located not far from where he flipped his car near River and Marrero roads in Marrero on June 10. His brother, Brett Fell, found Fell's shoe in the mud near the wrecked car after his brother called to tell him about the crash 20 minutes after it happened and to report that he was OK.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2011/09/missing_mans_family_refuses_to.html

Family offers reward for missing man

The family of a West Bank man who's been missing since June is offering up a big reward for any information that leads them to him. Shane Fell's family has reason to believe he's alive after more than one recent tip.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/...d-for-missing-man/a1H8ALnV5UKbmh6-AT5AFw.cspx

This is such a perplexing case. Some sources indicate that he was heading home to Harvey from Rum Runners, which is on Barataria Blvd. But if he was, why would he drive from Rum Runners all the way up to River Rd to get home, wouldn't he have taken 4th St or the highway? I'd like to learn more about all this. I really hope he is safe, but it's been quite some time so it doesn't seem very hopeful.

Bumping for Shane.
I don't know why I thought of this case last night but I did. I checked the Facebook page to see if there was anything new, but sadly, there wasn't.
Praying for Shane, his family and his friends on this day.

Hello , this is my first post here and I joined because I live a few miles from where he went missing . I occasionally cruise by the area and stop out there wondering what on earth happened to this guy . I've been bouncing various theories around for a while now some of which are mentioned previously .
Yes, the river was very high , higher than usual for that time of year , and I've thought about this mostly . Now why he would've gone up to the levee around 1 AM when his car was sitting upside down is a problem though . We know that Shane was coherent immediately after the accident so I just don't think he had any major head trauma but this cannot be ruled out of course . If he did fall into the river in a daze it's certainly possible that they might have been able to find him . There are a lot of trees along this stretch of the levee on the river side but having lived around here most of my life I know how this river is . The Mississippi is much deeper south of Baton Rouge and it's deepest point isn't too far down from where Shane had his accident . The currents were amazing at the time and the river looked like a boiling cauldron practically due to the strength of the current. Many people have gone into the river never to be found no matter how thoroughly they have searched . I went to high school with a guy who fell in the river in the early 80's and they just happened to find him months later when no one was looking and about 30 miles downstream too . What I'm saying is that it's possible that he really is in the river although the experts say no. The river was certainly the most convenient and obvious choice to get rid of evidence.

Now right in this area where Shane wrecked are some streets that are rather known for a high crime rate - mainly Robinson St . It comes up every now and again in the crime section of the paper . Many years ago I knew someone who drove down one of these streets by accident and some people tried to corner him . He was lucky to get out . I mention this because people in this area would've heard something and people being naturally curious or bored may have gone over to investigate . I know that Brett Fell theorized that perhaps someone else came along and got involved somehow and this has been one of my other persistent theories . If so , it just wasn't Shane's night and could all be really bad timing for him . Most criminals don't plan anything and are totally opportunistic . Perhaps he was accosted shortly after the wreck and did end up on the levee in an attempt to escape where he just could've been hit over the head and thrown in . We know he was missing a shoe and was probably not in the shape to run or put up a fight . I know a PI was brought in but we haven't been told much of what he found except that the family wasn't happy with his conclusions . I'm wondering if the people in this neighborhood have even been thoroughly canvassed . If not , it should've been . If so , perhaps it should be done again . If someone around there knows something maybe their conscience has been working on them or it's possible that , now that almost a year has gone by , that someone may know a fact that they didn't know then . Back to the PI. I know that they call it deadman's curve but Shane knew this road as well as I know it . You just don't go screaming through there . Another theory I have is that someone was following or chasing Shane - for what reason we may never know although the PI's conclusions lead me to believe that perhaps there were other things going on in Shane's life no one knew about . I do not say this to speak poorly of Shane but this forum is to try to consider all possibilities I think . Why was he going through here so fast ? I know that I'm assuming that he was speeding but I'm having a lot of trouble just accepting this one and I believe he may very well have been trying to get away which is what caused the accident . Where I think my theory on this has a huge hole is that Shane was able to make a call but perhaps whoever was in chase (in my theory) may have continued on but then came back . My hope is that the police looked thoroughly at all of the skid marks in the area and I would assume that this is standard procedure . I know that this is where I'm really going a lot farther out on a limb but I wanted to put it out there and hopefully get some feedback .
It's my personal opinion that more of the PI results should be released to us . Boards like this with more heads being put together may lead to some more workable theories coming up . I'd also like to know more about the conclusions that the Jefferson Parish PD came to as being the cause to the accident . Thanks for reading , Jim

One year later, search continues for West Bank man

As Brett Fell pulls up to the scene where a crash happened nearly one year ago, it's apparent his life has changed a lot over the past year.

His white truck has a poster with his brother's name and picture. Inside, his two children, L, 5, and L, 3, sit patiently in the truck as he walks the tight curve on River Road.

They were very close to their uncle, Shane Fell, 36, until he disappeared after the crash.

"It has torn us apart," Brett Fell said. "We're still holding up hope that Shane is out there somewhere."

Signs still cover the fence near where Shane Fell went missing just after midnight on June 10, 2011. Deputies said Shane Fell was heading home after a night of billiards with Brett Fell and other friends.

Such a sad tragic shame....How people just disappear is beyond me....Pray the day comes where his family gets closure....:(

So sad. This is near where I grew up. I don't understand why we don't have answers.

I wish this story would receive more coverage. It's been a long time and the only reason I had heard of Shane because I'm from New Orleans originally. This story is too strange.

Mapquest of River Road and Marrero Road - I believe dead man's curve is to the right of that intersection on this map....

http://mapq.st/iENB8j

It is actually further to the left. I attached a pic of the map where it is. It is not the at curve is extremely sharp, it is that there is a concrete foundation under the pipe crossing overhead that blocks your view. When you see the curve it looks like you can take it at normal speed. but when you get past the concrete the curve tightens a little more and you may or may not be able to handle it at normal speed. If you are speeding then it's going to be worse.

Attachments

• deadmans curve.gif
    deadmans curve.gif
    161 KB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics