Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police likely wouldn't have known that so would have gone to his last known address.
As there were reputed to be some 300 sex offenders in the area, police must have found themselves pretty stretched at that time.
We only have Amaral's comment that they knocked on his door and we don't know what is behind it, if anything.

If they did, it is almost certain that it would have been the farmhouse, which he hadn't lived in for ten months.

I've also seen it reported that they tried to locate him in prison (Lagos I think). Again, he wasn't there because he'd been released five months earlier. I've looked before but I can't find the link.

Police likely wouldn't have known that so would have gone to his last known address.
As there were reputed to be some 300 sex offenders in the area, police must have found themselves pretty stretched at that time.

This is really my problem with trying to discuss the case. Much of the media reporting is inherently unreliable compared to evidence in Court. Not for any nefarious reason - it's just the nature of the beast.

e.g There was supposedly a critical confession against CB. But then the witness did that Spiegel interview and we discover the confession is an interpretation and far from unequivocal.

The claim about CB being visited by PJ is often made, yet other reporting suggests he lived in a van at the time. Where did he live? There are many factors like this. e.g the claim he was an expert burglar including of OC. Many of these claims seem to be based on hearsay reported by tabloid reporters.

CB - the man who boasted of a secret compartment within his van for hiding the drugs he traded which he claimed was large enough to hide a child, was on police radar in 2007 according to a witness.

Snip
The nanny told the Daily Mirror: 'I was shown identikits the day after they took my statement (about her time with MM).
'I recognised a few people from just being about… one guy I recognised was a known paedophile who later committed suicide.

'I am aware of his (Brueckner's) name and face from photos I was shown but I don't think I remember having seen him in real life. I'm aware police knew of guys like this in Praia da Luz at the time.'

Reactions: IDK
This is really my problem with trying to discuss the case. Much of the media reporting is inherently unreliable compared to evidence in Court. Not for any nefarious reason - it's just the nature of the beast.

e.g There was supposedly a critical confession against CB. But then the witness did that Spiegel interview and we discover the confession is an interpretation and far from unequivocal.

The claim about CB being visited by PJ is often made, yet other reporting suggests he lived in a van at the time. Where did he live? There are many factors like this. e.g the claim he was an expert burglar including of OC. Many of these claims seem to be based on hearsay reported by tabloid reporters.
It was a chaotic scene at the time with many errors made and compounded. That had a profound effect on the investigators who seemed to be out of their depth and subsequently their views as leaked to the Portuguese press set the tone for the perception of a missing child case.

CB was a resident of Luz with a record which should have alerted the authorities to him as apparently it did. The problem being they didn't keep at it until he was eliminated from the inquiry.

While checking through the statements made by the MW staff responsible for child care, it occurred to me how much of an anomaly it was to use a Luz resident whose property was yards from the MM apartment as an interpreter.

Fine if the urgency of the situation merited it. But days down the line there was enough time to have made arrangements for an interpreter without knowledge of the area to be brought in.

CB - the man who boasted of a secret compartment within his van for hiding the drugs he traded which he claimed was large enough to hide a child, was on police radar in 2007 according to a witness.

Snip
The nanny told the Daily Mirror: 'I was shown identikits the day after they took my statement (about her time with MM).
'I recognised a few people from just being about… one guy I recognised was a known paedophile who later committed suicide.

'I am aware of his (Brueckner's) name and face from photos I was shown but I don't think I remember having seen him in real life. I'm aware police knew of guys like this in Praia da Luz at the time.'
A good example of what mrjitty is talking about in post #22. IMO

A good example of what mrjitty is talking about in post #22. IMO

Right.

I am quite lost as to what are the more reliable facts established either via HCW statements or high quality MSM reporting (e.g Spiegel) vs single source reporting vs low quality unsourced reporting.

As an example Olive Press claims some things that no other MSM source has to my knowledge

And as we recently saw in the Murdaugh trial, a fair amount of pretrial reporting turned out to be incorrect or misleading and there is no way to know which elements before actual evidence is lead. In this case, we actually have far less credible reporting.

So a fundamental thing "CB was resident in Luz" - do we actually know this?

If so, where did he live?

I guess what I am saying is it could be useful to consider what we actually know via a firm source vs more speculative stuff.

39 Threads in I feel like I came to accept things as true or likely, where I don't know the foundation

(this is why I prefer to follow trials)

If he was living in his van, he may not have stayed in the same place for more than a day or two at a time. The van was pretty basic and he would need some sort of facilities for washing clothes etc and for buying food and drink, so I can imagine him moving about as the mood took him.

Right.

I am quite lost as to what are the more reliable facts established either via HCW statements or high quality MSM reporting (e.g Spiegel) vs single source reporting vs low quality unsourced reporting.

As an example Olive Press claims some things that no other MSM source has to my knowledge

And as we recently saw in the Murdaugh trial, a fair amount of pretrial reporting turned out to be incorrect or misleading and there is no way to know which elements before actual evidence is lead. In this case, we actually have far less credible reporting.

Amazingly everything about CB appears be circular even down to questions about where he lived.

He was so secretive about it that he refused to give an address to the Portuguese authorities doing jail time instead, but arranging for his friends to clear his loot from his pied a terre on the outskirts of Luz.

Now the confusion about where he lived in Germany.

Right.

BIB: I think we can infer from the appeal and charge sheet - German victim - that he was living in the farmhouse from 2000 to 2006.

I do not think he was a resident in Luz at any time during 2007 - there has been no reports that he went back to Luz once he was released from prison.

If he was living in his van, he may not have stayed in the same place for more than a day or two at a time. The van was pretty basic and he would need some sort of facilities for washing clothes etc and for buying food and drink, so I can imagine him moving about as the mood took him.
Possibly a few routine bases like Barranco, BSJ, Foral, Arade and Barragem. Some of these places would have had amenities.

I guess what I am saying is it could be useful to consider what we actually know via a firm source vs more speculative stuff.

39 Threads in I feel like I came to accept things as true or likely, where I don't know the foundation

(this is why I prefer to follow trials)
This is why a mod note was issued at the end of the last thread.
MOD NOTE:

This post lands at random.

We are a small staff and we are having to spend far too much time on this thread.

Stop the incessant debating and arguing. Websleuths is not for debate; it is for discussion of facts about a case, as best we can ascertain them via MSM, LE and other approved sources.

Members are not here to hammer their opinion into someone else's head. State your opinion and move on .. scroll & roll.

Other points to keep in mind:

- It is not necessary to address every single post
- If you can't handle what another member has to contribute, ignore the post or use the Ignore feature

It seems that the best CB's legal team can do for him is not to promote his innocence but to rely on legal loopholes - avoiding proclaiming innocence of the crime - but that he shouldn't be tried for it because of a technicality.

MM prime suspect 'trying to cleverly exploit loophole' to get out of jail​

MM suspect CB will find out in three weeks if he is likely to be released through a complex legal loophole after he was convicted of raping an American woman in Portugal in 2005
Lawyers for Brueckner appeared before a panel of five judges at the European Court of Justice, arguing that his detention is a breach of international law.

They claim because this was not the crime he was extradited for from Portugal in June 2017 he should be freed.
Very reminiscent of the present situation regarding jurisdiction in an attempt to throw a spanner into the works of the five cases with which he was charged in 2022.

BIB: I think we can infer from the appeal and charge sheet - German victim - that he was living in the farmhouse from 2000 to 2006.

I do not think he was a resident in Luz at any time during 2007 - there has been no reports that he went back to Luz once he was released from prison.

Right. So that might be interesting as regards Amaral's claim that police went to his address as part of their broad sweep. He didn't live there anymore?

Perhaps one reason for the public appeal was the hope to figure out where he actually was based?

CB's violence was instrumental in bringing him to the interest of the German police when he punched his then girlfriend down stairs rendering her unconscious.

She had questioned him about *advertiser censored* on his electronic equipment much of which featured little blonde girls. Incidentally among which were the images of a former girlfriend's child.

The assault was reported and the reason for it led to the discovery of
Snip
"391 child *advertiser censored* photographs and 68 videos, including images of CB abusing the five-year-old daughter of one of his previous girlfriends in a park"

CB's girlfriend also mentioned his reaction when MM was mentioned by friends.
Snip
She "recalled CB falling silent when the subject of MM's abduction was raised by friends during a party in early 2014 at their flat in Braunschweig, northern Germany.
‘I remember he made no answer to the question.
After they went, I asked about Maddie as I did not know anything about her,’ she said.
‘I asked him about it and he said, “I know about Maddie, I was near the hotel at the time. I was living in the area at the time. I am not going to say anything more. I am not a stupid guy, I am a businessman.” ’

Did she bother telling that to the police, or just a tabloid journalist

Right. So that might be interesting as regards Amaral's claim that police went to his address as part of their broad sweep. He didn't live there anymore?

Perhaps one reason for the public appeal was the hope to figure out where he actually was based?
Reports from June 2020 talked of a transient lifestyle including possibly linked to two houses one in Luz and another in Lagos not saying he lived there just had access, so where the door knocking occurred who knows.

CB has also been linked to the Escola Velha villa in Monte Judeu..where he is reported to have visited / stayed sometimes .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W4R_DR1V3R