Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #3

About two weeks after Rachel’s murder there was a rape in a seedy Falls Church, VA motel. That suspect has been located and arrested, in December, by the Fairfax County Police. His hair is longer than the Cali suspect, more filled in on the sides, but enough of a difference to change a person’s general description. When I first saw images of the Falls Church suspect, I felt his posture and gait resembled the Cali suspect. Then, yesterday I saw his mugshot.

The face shape, especially the mouth and chin as well as the left ear (with a small chunk missing at top) resembles the newly released suspect sketches. I’ll post links and side by side pics below. I’m not sure but I think VA only takes DNA on conviction or if they got DNA from or off the victim. Falls Church is no more than about 1.5 hours from Bel Air with Baltimore in between. I’m wondering if it’s worth contacting Hartford PD.

To my eyes ( eyes/nose /mouth) there is enough resemblance that I would submit to their rmtips@harfordsheriff.org

LE was emphatic that even if you think its nothing - submit anyway. If they have looked at this already no harm.

Just my 2 cents

To my eyes ( eyes/nose /mouth) there is enough resemblance that I would submit to their rmtips@harfordsheriff.org

LE was emphatic that even if you think its nothing - submit anyway. If they have looked at this already no harm.

Just my 2 cents
Wow! As you are saying: nose/mouth at least are similar to our killer. His upper lip is verrry similar: a little asymmetrical - faszinating to find a young criminal man just with this special upper lip!
"The suspect is described as a Hispanic man in his 20’s, thin with acne or scars on his face." <----- This I'm missing in the description of our RM-perp.

Last edited:
About two weeks after Rachel’s murder there was a rape in a seedy Falls Church, VA motel. That suspect has been located and arrested, in December, by the Fairfax County Police. His hair is longer than the Cali suspect, more filled in on the sides, but enough of a difference to change a person’s general description. When I first saw images of the Falls Church suspect, I felt his posture and gait resembled the Cali suspect. Then, yesterday I saw his mugshot.
The face shape, especially the mouth and chin as well as the left ear (with a small chunk missing at top) resembles the newly released suspect sketches. I’ll post links and side by side pics below. I’m not sure but I think VA only takes DNA on conviction or if they got DNA from or off the victim. Falls Church is no more than about 1.5 hours from Bel Air with Baltimore in between. I’m wondering if it’s worth contacting Hartford PD.

Wow!! It is worth an immediate contact, I think.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it can’t hurt to pass on the links and reasons behind the concern. When I watch the video of the Falls Church suspect walking, I see that same wonky outward turn or pull of his left foot and leg. I know FC guy looks thinner but all we have to go on was March 2023 and this video was September 2023. So, long enough to lose weight? By December, when he was arrested and photographed his hair may have sort of grown out. The September video- to watch him walk is near the bottom in this police blog:

Last edited:
I can’t get past the very low set ears on the person just arrested versus the normally set ears in the sketch. After a career in medical genetics, I know that the set of the ears can be a helpful clue in diagnosing syndromes. Generally speaking, if you draw a line from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner, then continue it out toward the ear, that line should clip the very top of the ear. The arrested person’s don’t come even close. I suppose it’s possible that the artist was given information about what the ears looked like and then automatically set them where ears usually go. Important: low set ears aren’t a problem in and of themselves. Because they can be a clue, though, the difference here catches my eye.

I can’t get past the very low set ears on the person just arrested versus the normally set ears in the sketch. After a career in medical genetics, I know that the set of the ears can be a helpful clue in diagnosing syndromes. Generally speaking, if you draw a line from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner, then continue it out toward the ear, that line should clip the very top of the ear. The arrested person’s don’t come even close. I suppose it’s possible that the artist was given information about what the ears looked like and then automatically set them where ears usually go. Important: low set ears aren’t a problem in and of themselves. Because they can be a clue, though, the difference here catches my eye.
Yes, I noticed that, too. But what do you see from the LA video? From the only actual images we have of the Morin suspect? I have screenshots but they won’t load here. From behind his ears seem to sit low, too.

Regarding a sketch...this is my personal opinion only, I have no professional experience with this. With that caveat --

There are 3 reasons I'm not surprised there has not been a sketch released.

1) Having been the victim of a crime (robbery), where I had an up close look at the perpetrators' faces, I can tell you there is zero chance I could work with a sketch artist. I told the cops when they asked ten minutes after the crime happened that I couldn't recognize them. I could identify their race. I knew there was a height difference between the two men. I could probably estimate their heights to within like a 5" or 6" range (nevermind that one was right up against me -- my memory was that he was "short" but I wouldn't trust me to put a specific number on that). That's about it. I have a vague concept in my head of what they looked like, but wouldn't trust my ability to pick them out if a lineup and I would be useless to a sketch artist.

There are a variety of reasons for this. While I looked at them in the face from a few feet away (and was then mere inches away from one of them), the interaction was as brief as I could make it and, for multiple reasons, memorizing their faces was not my priority. It is very difficult to describe someone who you don't know well. This is also why eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Then you also have the effects of trauma. And in this particular case, the witnesses may have been minors.

2) Even the best sketches are imperfect, and imperfect sketches can undermine the value of the video. Someone could think they recognize the person in the video, but then dismiss it because the person they're thinking of doesn't look like the sketch. We'll never know if the sketches hindered the Delphi case, but I think it's fair to say they didn't help.

Great points, thank you!

When we saw the video of the suspect at the LA-home, we thought about his ears and some of us meant to see "knobby ears" or at least one knobby ear (to his right side in the surveillance pic). Later on we weren't quite sure.
Idk, if it is an odd coincidence, that the new suspect's ears are looking "knobby", especially his right one.

I wonder also if that photographic image of the individual on the right, the head might be tilted back a tad? And if that might affect observations?

Some others also mentioned question about the suspect’s height. It would be helpful to know that. And if a mug shot is available, are none available also of full view of the individual? MOO

I wonder also if that photographic image of the individual on the right, the head might be tilted back a tad? And if that might affect observations?

Some others also mentioned question about the suspect’s height. It would be helpful to know that. And if a mug shot is available, are none available also of full view of the individual? MOO
Agree on all counts (Ears tilt back and need to know height).

I went back to an early Hartford press conference. They estimated the LA subject to be about 5’9” and approximately 160lbs.

"They don't have his name, but they have his DNA."

AirJordan hat is where they got the DNA from, and the hat was found in the LA home.

Hunt for Maryland Mom Rachel Morin's Killer Heats Up as Cops Release Sketch of Suspect​

Detectives in Maryland have released two new sketches of a man wearing an "Air Jordan" hat that could lead to the man who killed mother of five, Rachel Morin. Morin was found dead along the Ma & Pa Trail in Bel Air last August. Law&Crime's Angenette Levy talks with Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler about the new sketches and the nationwide search for the killer in this episode of Crime Fix — a daily show that delves into the biggest stories in crime.

The tipline is: RMTIPS@HARFORDSHERIFF.ORG

I have a feeling that all crimes like this within this radius were probably looked into and ruled out, but you never know.

The Sheriff's Update from above made clear that they have no expectations that the sketch looks exactly like the suspect. They said, if you know of a person who was in the area, and resembles the video, but there are things about the sketch that are off, do not let that be a reason that you don't tip in. They also said, please do not call about every Hispanic person.

The sketch is a guide, or tool if you will, but it is not an exact representation of the person the way the video is. Unfortunately, the video in this case doesn't show the face. I'm sure investigators debated long and hard about whether to release a sketch. Sketches can derail the investigation with useless tips but if the right person sees it and is triggered to remember - "Oh I worked with a guy at the time of that crime whose eyes looked like that. Even though the sketch as a whole doesn't look much like him, now I remember he came from LA and talked about that trail once..." That is the type of information that can solve a crime.
It is a very low crime area, they would have been able to look into crimes in that area very quickly. I know this is a cliche, but things like this really don’t happen in Bel Air. I’ve walked that trail for years and was never thinking something like this could happen, mainly due to the number of people around. The parks and recs building is not too far from there, which has a giant horse stable, they hold a farm fair there every year, on the other side is a golf course, and soccer fields that always seem to be in use. This guy got insanely lucky and I can’t see how he is from the area unless he just didn’t care to get caught.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trotski24
Back