GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen and both parents guilty* #7

Jennifer Crumbley's criminal prosecution has been a "no-win situation" from the beginning, her attorney wrote in a sentencing memorandum filed Friday.

Prosecutors have continually characterized Crumbley, the mother of Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley, as a “selfish, callous, evil person and horrible mother” who prioritized her own convenience over the safety of Oxford students, attorney Shannon Smith wrote. But that isn't true, she said.

“Mrs. Crumbley was damned no matter what she did or did not do,” Smith wrote. “At trial Mrs. Crumbley’s reactions to the tragic events and learning what her son did were criticized at every turn. The prosecution certainly tried to convey that Mrs. Crumbley did not care enough about what was going on, that she did not cry enough, and that she did not behave the way a mother of a school shooter would behave.”...

OXFORD, Mich. – The parents of the Oxford High School shooter face sentencing this week after they were each found guilty of manslaughter at their respective trials.

On Tuesday, April 9, an Oakland County judge will hand down sentences for James and Jennifer Crumbley for their roles in the Nov. 30, 2021, mass school shooting. The parents stood separate trials earlier this year, after which both juries convicted them of four counts of involuntary manslaughter each.

Prosecutors were able to convince the juries that the parents could have foreseen the shooting -- which left four students dead -- and either took actions that they shouldn’t have, or didn’t act when they could’ve. Prosecutors argued the mass shooting was preventable, and that the shooter’s parents had the best opportunities to intervene, including on the day of the shooting.

The evidence varied between the parents’ trials, which were held in February and in March. Still, both juries ultimately agreed after hours of deliberations: Guilty on all counts.

James and Jennifer Crumbley each face a maximum prison sentence of 15 years. The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office is recommending a minimum 10-year sentence for both parents.

The sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday...

Does anyone else remember after the shooting that JC texted someone telling them that her mother told her she's to blame?
JC's lover?
I remember reading that but I don't remember it being entered as evidence at the trial.

'Mother: Jennifer Crumbley wishes 'she were the one dead'​

"In closing, the father, whose name was blocked out in the letter due to continued fears for his safety, pleaded with the judge: "I am requesting that you can find it in your heart to extend some mercy."

Jennifer Crumbley's mother, also a former schoolteacher, asked for the same, stressing that her daughter — and the entire family — is heartbroken over the tragedy.

"She has spent countless hours on the phone with us devastated, crying hysterically and wishing she were the one dead, not the children," her mother wrote, noting this has taken an especially hard toll on her, given her job as a teacher.

"All of us still cannot reconcile with what Ethan did," Jennifer Crumbley's mother writes in her letter. "Jennifer, along with us, will never be the same. We will have to live the rest of our lives heartbroken for the families, community and for the students and staff for the excruciating pain Ethan has caused."

Her mother added, "She was so paralyzed with fear, and for the first time in her life, she did not have a safe place to go. We were the ones recommending for her to take the money out of the bank, so she could stay safe until they both turned themselves in the morning with their attorneys."

This latter comment challenges the prosecution narrative that the Crumbleys emptied their bank accounts after the shooting because they were fleeing to avoid prosecution, a particularly sore point with the defense.

Jennifer Crumbley's parents also told the judge that their daughter could live with them in Florida, should she be sentenced to house arrest.'

The page won't come up but I wanted ya all to see the headline that Jennifer Crumbley asks for time served- so let me get this straight, if she doesn't get to stay in her attorney's guest house, she wants a sentence of time served. All I can say is her attorney is clueless and has a lot of nerve and gall. geez Louise!

(Quote by Je's mother snipped by me)

"She has spent countless hours on the phone with us devastated, crying hysterically and wishing she were the one dead, not the children,"

Of course she's "devastated," because her life as she knew it, or hoped it to become, was over, but where was the remorse by either parent for their roles/mistakes that led to the murders?

The page won't come up but I wanted ya all to see the headline that Jennifer Crumbley asks for time served- so let me get this straight, if she doesn't get to stay in her attorney's guest house, she wants a sentence of time served. All I can say is her attorney is clueless and has a lot of nerve and gall. geez Louise!

Do those who agree with the guilty verdicts think they should both receive the same sentence?

I think they should both get the full 15 years, when you consider everything.
Chastity belts because we don't want none of that, but perhaps they ought to be housed together. As punishment. Karma. Justice. Let them claw it out.

I'm not impressed with their post-conviction positions.

JMO

Do those who agree with the guilty verdicts think they should both receive the same sentence?

Maximum sentence for both. Neither has shown remorse for their actions. I hope the Judge takes James' threats against the Prosecutor into consideration and mentions it during sentencing. JMO

Chastity belts because we don't want none of that, but perhaps they ought to be housed together. As punishment. Karma. Justice. Let them claw it out.

I'm not impressed with their post-conviction positions.

JMO
I've been wondering what the seating arrangement in the courtroom will be during sentencing. As far as I know, James and Jennifer have not been in contact during their incarceration. Will they sit together with their respective attorneys? Should be interesting...

Along with JC's relatives and pastor (lol) did Smith also get a letter from JC's best friend in jail, Megan,to write a letter in support of JC's character and beg Matthews for leniency?
Knowing Smith it actually wouldn't surprise me. lol

Jennifer Crumbley's convicted killer 'best friend' is kicked ...
The Independent
https://www.the-independent.com › ... › US Crime News

Jan 26, 2024 — Megan Imirowicz called Ms Crumbley her 'best friend' after the pair spent time together in the same Michigan prison.

Spent time together?

I knew Jennifer was exaggerating when she said she spends all her time in solitary confinement and only gets out 1 hour a day.

To spend time with Megan - enough time to be best friends - means that Jennifer was in the general population and not in segregation the entire time.

Maybe there were threats and for a time she was put in protective custody but I think she lies and exaggerates it.

2 Cents

I've been wondering what the seating arrangement in the courtroom will be during sentencing. As far as I know, James and Jennifer have not been in contact during their incarceration. Will they sit together with their respective attorneys? Should be interesting...

In front of the gallery there are only 2 tables, one for the prosecution and one for the defense.

I believe the Crumbley's will sit at the defense table with at least one attorney between them, same as they always did before their case was severed.

The families will be in the front of the gallery ready to go up and make victim impact statements.

2 Cents

A look at Jennifer Crumbley's life in jail​

Among those who hoped Jennifer Crumbley would be exonerated is her former cellmate, an 18 yesr old woman who shared a cell with Crumbley for 17 months. She wrote a letter to the judge......

.....When she arrived at the Oakland County jail Jennifer Crumbley greeted her with a basket containing snacks and other items and quickly became her mother figure, a woman who supported her when she got teased by other inmates, despite the taunts she put up with in jail herself.

She recalled seeing inmates scream threats toward Jennifer Crumbley, and Crumbley walking over to an inmate one day "in tears and expressed how sorry she was and how she wishes she could change everything her son had done."

During their time in jail together, the woman said Jennifer Crumbley — who promised the young woman's mother she would look after her — colored with her, taught her how to cook, held her as she cried and tried to help her through difficult times.

The cellmate's mother wrote.....

....."Mrs. Crumbley was there for my daughter when I could not be," the mother wrote. "If not for Mrs. Crumbley, I know my beautiful daughter would have tried to attempt suicide many times. ... I love her with all my heart."

Last edited:

A look at Jennifer Crumbley's life in jail​

Among those who hoped Jennifer Crumbley would be exonerated is her former cellmate, a young woman who shared a cell with Crumbley for 17 months.

"I loved Jenn from the moment we met," the former cellmate wrote the judge.

According to her letter, when she arrived at the Oakland County jail, she was 18, the youngest inmate at the jail. Jennifer Crumbley greeted her with a basket containing snacks and other items. The woman said she did not know what to think of the woman at first — she had friends who were affected by the tragedy at Oxford High, and she knew of Jennifer Crumbley only from the news.

But Jennifer Crumbley quickly became her mother figure, a woman who supported her when she got teased by other inmates, despite the taunts she put up with in jail herself. She recalled seeing inmates scream threats toward Jennifer Crumbley, and Crumbley walking over to an inmate one day "in tears and expressed how sorry she was and how she wishes she could change everything her son had done."

During their time in jail together, the woman said Jennifer Crumbley — who promised the young woman's mother she would look after her — colored with her, taught her how to cook, held her as she cried and tried to help her through difficult times.

For the cellmate's mother, this meant everything, as she also wrote the judge a letter, to let her know about the Jennifer Crumbley who she believes saved her daughter's life. The two women's names also were withheld.

"Mrs. Crumbley was there for my daughter when I could not be," the mother wrote. "If not for Mrs. Crumbley, I know my beautiful daughter would have tried to attempt suicide many times. ... I love her with all my heart."
That's nice. That's good that she's found a way to mother someone else's child. Behind bars. Behind bars suits her. No distractions. Like an actual child. Hers. Marriage. Bills. Horses. Boyfriends.

It's a little late and it's the wrong child, but it's a better direction than her husband seems to be going.

JMO

That's nice. That's good that she's found a way to mother someone else's child. Behind bars. Behind bars suits her. No distractions. Like an actual child. Hers. Marriage. Bills. Horses. Boyfriends.

It's a little late and it's the wrong child, but it's a better direction than her husband seems to be going.

JMO

I wonder why we don't see excerpts of letters written in James's favor?

And I wonder who wrote letters for him? An inmate friend? His olderst son? Jennifer's parents?

The prosecution is asking for 10 years, I assume because they don't think they can get more.

I think time served and house arrest for a total of 5 years would be the right outcome. So JenC would have only 2 1/2 years to go under house arrest. Perhaps probation and community service after that, for those who insist on 7 years or thereabouts.

For JamesC, I think about the same, but add in some anger management classes.

Spent time together?

I knew Jennifer was exaggerating when she said she spends all her time in solitary confinement and only gets out 1 hour a day.

To spend time with Megan - enough time to be best friends - means that Jennifer was in the general population and not in segregation the entire time.

Maybe there were threats and for a time she was put in protective custody but I think she lies and exaggerates it.

2 Cents

What happened with Megan? Did she speak at any point? Is she still in prison?

I didn’t watch the whole trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legomatica_Locate
Back