Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are clips regarding Stacy’s swimsuit and Suzie’s overnight bag.
So we can assume Stacy was traveling light, so to speak. But then it doesn't seem like Stacy's swimsuit would fit in her purse (one piece, two piece, thong bikini - they were a thing back then).

No change of clothing, not even backups?
Could she have transferred her overnight gear to Suzie's bag? If Suzie had an overnight bag ready to go, did Janelle?

The red purse looks too small for the tiniest bikini. Stacy spent time on her looks and was into clothes so it’s hard to believe she didn’t pack a bag. It would’ve been almost 3am so maybe she left her bag in her car but why would she have brought only her swimsuit inside? Strange.

Many thanks to Bartt for that link. I just listened to one of the broadcasts and one thing I am unclear about is whether Suzie was going to testify. I have argued that her statement would have had to be “authenticated.” That would have been done if she had directly testified.

In the only time I have ever been called to testify it was for that reason. As it turned out, I didn’t know who had prepared a certain document and so testified. The judge immediately ruled it out as my testimony was “hearsay.” I had not prepared it nor did not know who had prepared it. I was then dismissed.

This may be insignificant but offhand does anyone here know?

On one other matter, and it could be important, is whether Joseph Riedel was in town that night. I have seen newspaper accounts that he was but that same newspaper published that Sherrill presented herself at the APCO station at or near 2 AM that night. I believe that was later “debunked” as a lady came forward to identify herself as the customer who may or may not have been at the station that night.

These “niggling” points may be insignificant but crimes have been committed for lesser reasons or none at all.

Would anyone be so kind to set me straight on these matters, especially the matter of Joseph Riedel. Was he in town that night or in Illinois? TIA.

How could the police say that the two phone calls that Janelle answered were unrelated to the message that Stacy’s mother listened to and erased? Stacy’s mother said she couldn’t remember the contents other than that the were lewd. To me: It sounds like she remembered the contents and told the investigators; but was asked to keep it quiet.

Many thanks to Bartt for that link. I just listened to one of the broadcasts and one thing I am unclear about is whether Suzie was going to testify. I have argued that her statement would have had to be “authenticated.” That would have been done if she had directly testified.

In the only time I have ever been called to testify it was for that reason. As it turned out, I didn’t know who had prepared a certain document and so testified. The judge immediately ruled it out as my testimony was “hearsay.” I had not prepared it nor did not know who had prepared it. I was then dismissed.

This may be insignificant but offhand does anyone here know?

On one other matter, and it could be important, is whether Joseph Riedel was in town that night. I have seen newspaper accounts that he was but that same newspaper published that Sherrill presented herself at the APCO station at or near 2 AM that night. I believe that was later “debunked” as a lady came forward to identify herself as the customer who may or may not have been at the station that night.

These “niggling” points may be insignificant but crimes have been committed for lesser reasons or none at all.

Would anyone be so kind to set me straight on these matters, especially the matter of Joseph Riedel. Was he in town that night or in Illinois? TIA.

Suzie wasn’t needed , and it would be hearsay , she wasn’t a fact witness .

If JR turned on the other boys What is his motive to abduct & murder 3 women ?

As I understand , JR didn’t even have transportation . I guess he could steal a car to drive BACK to Springfield , and risk it for what ?

I don't think it matters one bit what Suzie knew or didn't know, whether it was hearsay, whether it would be allowed or not, or even if she was being called to testify.

IMO, all it took was someone (or a group of people) think she was going to possibly talk and that there was a good chance she knew something. These people weren't consulting lawyers before deciding what to so with someone who they saw as a threat.

Suzie wasn’t needed , and it would be hearsay , she wasn’t a fact witness .

If JR turned on the other boys What is his motive to abduct & murder 3 women ?

As I understand , JR didn’t even have transportation . I guess he could steal a car to drive BACK to Springfield , and risk it for what ?

She could have testified what Dustin told her. That would not be hearsay would it?

I was more interested in whether JR could have been in town to participate in the abductions. Put differently, it is my understanding he had said a number of things around Springfield that displeased some individuals in high places. He could have been told to “fix” the problem or else which could have brought him back. One newspaper article said that he was believed to be in town that night. I can look up the date of the news article if necessary. I just want to clear this up.

OMG ...other than my 3 to 5 mile daily walks and grocery shopping, I've been at home since March 1st, this is getting difficult.

I have a lot of experience with ambiguity and being unsettled by an uncertain future.

I was on a nuclear submarine where we would go to sea for 90 to 110 days but not working and staying home is beginning to take a toll on me.

Much needed distractions finally got to the point where I purchase Netflix last month... yesterday I watched the docu-series about Henry Lee Lucas and it elevated my existing jaded view of LE to a nauseating level.

It is not an easy watch, but it is eye opening.

We got Netflix and binge watched Person Of Interest and The Blacklist.

I'm on the fence about docu-dramas as they tend to be more drama than documentary, like People's show of the Springfield Three. I just want facts and in-depth interviews of the people involved.

We got Netflix and binge watched Person Of Interest and The Blacklist.

I'm on the fence about docu-dramas as they tend to be more drama than documentary, like People's show of the Springfield Three. I just want facts and in-depth interviews of the people involved.
ID does have some decent shows . Deadly recall , see no evil . It nightlights how this case in ‘92 has no technology to assist in the investigation , Phone records, traffic surveillance cameras, cell phone gps, toll tags ect .

Not much has been said of this but one tiny detail should be considered somehow in my opinion.

The Yorkie that Sherrill had would almost certainly have gone berserk at that hour of night. I have had one myself and they are incredibly loud and unwilling to entertain strangers even in the daytime. In fact, although she was otherwise a good healthy dog we surrendered her back to the adoption agency. It seems likely to me that whoever was able to have gained entry it must have been someone known to the family.

The number of such people had to be exceedingly small.

Why would any of the women have allowed anyone in there unless he was familiar to the dog?

Thoughts?

Hi all- A while back I was working on a writeup of this case but got side tracked before I could finish it. After days of trying to re-read and search through all the threads I decided it may be easier to just ask questions here. Hoping someone can fill in these holes for me.

1) Does anyone remember the George's waitress describing the women somewhere? I have in my notes something about "western wear" but forgot to write down where this came from.
2) Was it confirmed that Sherill's floral dress was missing?
3) Was the dog found loose or in a closet? I have conflicting things in my notes.
4) Do we know any details about the phone conversation Sherill had with the friend at 11pm? I'm specifically looking for information about Suzie's plans- aka whether she was invited to go with the group to Branson the following day. My personal belief is that Janelle had not initially invited Suzie to go out with the group after graduation (hence her prior plans with Nigel that were cancelled at the last minute, her supposedly being "sad" at graduation and perhaps why she would have asked people to spend the night with her- trying to get an invite).
5) Was Sherill's window open with the screen off? I'm seeing something about this in later reports but seems it would have been a big deal initially if true.
6) Were the interior lights in the house on or off according to Janelle and Mike?

edit to add additional questions I found

Last edited:
Not much has been said of this but one tiny detail should be considered somehow in my opinion.

The Yorkie that Sherrill had would almost certainly have gone berserk at that hour of night. I have had one myself and they are incredibly loud and unwilling to entertain strangers even in the daytime. In fact, although she was otherwise a good healthy dog we surrendered her back to the adoption agency. It seems likely to me that whoever was able to have gained entry it must have been someone known to the family.

Why would any of the women have allowed anyone in there unless he was familiar to the dog?

Thoughts?
I read that the dog got out twice that night. First at around 10PM. Got into the neighbors yard and they put it back out over the fence. The second time was at 3AM; it came back and woke them up barking.

I read that the dog got out twice that night. First at around 10PM. Got into the neighbors yard and they put it back out over the fence. The second time was at 3AM; it came back and woke them up barking.

I didn’t recall the 10:00 time. Thank you. I thought it was 1:30. Trying to understand why anyone who the dog was not familiar would be let in. My first impression would be to tell a stranger to leave immediately.

Who shows up at anyone’s house at 3 AM? A cop or someone well known to the resident but no one else. Besides, it would have been possible to have talked through the storm door without unlocking it.

I am fairly certain Sherrill was reported to be very concerned about security. I was told by an officer on the case that Suzie did not have a side door key to the carport because of Sherrill’s concerns. So far as I know entry was through the front door.

Thoughts?

Yorkies must have personalities as differing as humans.

My wife had a yorkie when we met and we had her with us for over ten years. The sweetest, most loving dog I ever met. She would bark when the doorbell rang, but would run and hide when a stranger came in, or come to one of us for comfort.

With a doggie door, maybe the dog ran out and only returned when it was all quiet again. There was a sighting of a yorkie around 3 am. I found it strange how it was handled. Yorkies are a purebred dog and expensive, not your average mutt, and yet the people who found the dog just put it back out on the street.

I didn’t recall the 10:00 time. Thank you. I thought it was 1:30. Trying to understand why anyone who the dog was not familiar would be let in. My first impression would be to tell a stranger to leave immediately.

Who shows up at anyone’s house at 3 AM? A cop or someone well known to the resident but no one else. Besides, it would have been possible to have talked through the storm door without unlocking it.

I am fairly certain Sherrill was reported to be very concerned about security. I was told by an officer on the case that Suzie did not have a side door key to the carport because of Sherrill’s concerns. So far as I know entry was through the front door.

Sorry about the crude map , but I wanted a Satellite view for illustration . Commercial business to the east and the south . Neighbor to the west on Delmar out of town . The closest neighbor was off of Kentwood ( red X on map ) . There is some road noise ect from Glenstone . So there was not a lot of people around to potentially hear the women screaming , dogs barking ect .

Attachments

• 31E8DAA4-5D1D-4114-BD4F-318F4AECA1DB.jpeg
    31E8DAA4-5D1D-4114-BD4F-318F4AECA1DB.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors