MO MO - Janice Younger 18, Monett, July 1981

Is there a reconstruction of the Shell Knob victim?
Thank you for sharing with us Mary, I am also shocked she's still marked as missing instead of active homicide, but I pray things will turn around for you!

Thanks, me either. I only saw lab error as a cause for less than 100% accuracy.

At least my reading list stays the same. lol.

With this case IMO there seems to be so much information still out there that could help connect a perp to this crime. I am going to start praying that the local LE will become an ally in this quest.

I have worked with DNA in the past and rapid kit lab methods for other things (like bacteria). I HAVE NOT worked with human DNA! (disclaimer).

I know that in the field of microbiology, if you process things the "old fashioned way" which requires all hands on tests over a multitude of days it is more accurate than the new rapid ident methods. Now there are machines or devices to help clean, multiply and then identify the samples in a fraction of the time. It was decided that having an occasional false positive or negative was an acceptable error in return for having a test done in 3 days rather than 10.
I don't know how they are doing the DNA comparisons. Back in the 90s when I would look at a gel to compare DNA markers for plants nearly everything was done by hand, but there have been a lot of advances since then. I would be curious as to WHY the false positives occur. It must be something to do with the testing procedure.
That being said, we would double test nearly everything, especially if something was positive we would retest immediately to check accuracy. If this test does have a high false positive I would hope they would retest to confirm.
I am going to try to look up info about this if CarlK doesn't beat me to it! Hopefully some of our clever WSers can be of use to Jan.

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a new artist rendering done?
But maybe the first step would be to acquire the appropriate paperwork that is owed to Jan's family?

I got in touch with Heather Elder. She asked me to have Mary contact her, and perhaps she can help her get all of these issues resolved. I e-mailed the telephone number to Mary.

Cynthia Day's family has had the same run around with the Missouri State Police and the University of Texas when trying to match their mom to an UID found in 1990. They have been told every excuse in the world about why they can't extract DNA from the UID... I am actually going to call Cynthia's daughter now, I have a friend that I went to high school with that is a forensic scientist that owns a Forensic Consulting Company in CA, and she has been helping Cynthia's family with questions they have about DNA, etc.

I hope Janice's family gets to the bottom of this and they get answers!

I :heartbeat: WSers! You guys are just amazing.

Janice is now listed in Charley Project.

younger_janice.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/y/younger_janice.html

Does anyone know if Mary and Ms. Elder have spoken?

Was the Shell Knob victim really her? Is she still technically missing?

It would seem that it is, but I can see no reason why LE would be so uncooperative. No DNA report, no release of the bones for proper burial (and independent confirmation of results), and no death certificate. And she is still listed on the state website as a missing person.

Apparently, Mary is supposed to just take their word for it.

If the Shell Knob bones do belong to Janice, this would be an open murder investigation. They have not identified a perp. But I can't see any reason why they would need to hold the bones for investigative purposes.

Does anyone know if Mary and Ms. Elder have spoken?

I e-mailed her last Sunday, but I didn't receive a response.

Thanks for the info Carl!
And this is very frustrating, her poor family:/

This breaks my heart...thank you everyone for all your efforts.

I hope that Mary gets the closure she and her family (and sisters children!) so deserves, and that with some support, if Jan is identified draw attention to her unsolved death.

Mary is such a wonderful example (like JudysSisterMaureen) of the loved ones of the missing and unidentified who do everything in their power to fight for resolution and justice.

Just throwing this out there, as I am always looking at Tommy Lynn Sells most of the time:
Sells has said he killed 4-5 a year from around the late 1970's through the end of 1999; by the most generous allotment of victims he has been even remotely connected with, there are only around 50 people, so obviously there are some more victims out there. TLS was between Arkansas and Missouri (although mostly SouthEAST MO and St. Louis) but even though he was but a teenager, he had already murdered. He was stealing cars and driving all over by 1979, per a letter of his I have personally read, including Missouri. If he ever starts communicating with anyone again, someone should show him Janice Younger's picture. Sure hope they find something on her.

Wondering if there are any updates?

Hi all just a quick question...does anyone know if Janice had her ears pierced or not?

Many thanks in advance.

P

Any updates on this case?

I heard from Janice's sister back in May, but there hasn't been much in terms of progress on the case. Still not even so much as a yawn from the Missouri State Police.

She was given some names from some people in the area who seemed reliable, and she has forwarded that info onto the authorities. She feels that one is a very strong lead with cause and motive.

Janice is still listed on the Missouri Highway Patrol website as a missing person.

I heard from Janice's sister back in May, but there hasn't been much in terms of progress on the case. Still not even so much as a yawn from the Missouri State Police.

She was given some names from some people in the area who seemed reliable, and she has forwarded that info onto the authorities. She feels that one is a very strong lead with cause and motive.

Janice is still listed on the Missouri Highway Patrol website as a missing person.

That is just plain unacceptable. Anyone local to this have a contact with a good, bulldog-type, investigative reporter??? Who is not afraind to investigate LE if need be?

I seen that she is still listed on the MSHP missing person website. I find that odd if there was a DNA match several years ago.

I wonder what happened to the little one she went to visit in monett in foster care there and what happened to the little one left at home with her sister.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shoegazergirl
Back