MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it frustrating and destructive that some folks would come onto a board that clearly has people who care about Kara and are trying to collectively come up with anything that could help break and insult them.

Now, I know words in e mails and posts can be distorted and we naturally place a 'voice' to the words whether it's negative, nasty, sarcastic or friendly. But accusing people of water cooler gossip and acting as though he or she is above everyone else and looking down upon us with dismissal really shouldn't take place here.

I see Kara's stepdad as a very plausible suspect. I've shared my own reasoning for that previously and the fact that people are victims by someone they know leaves it open for at least consideration.

I've been personally involved in this case since week three and several facts remain about Kara's disappearance, the character and behavior of her stepdad, their relationship, the atmosphere at home between them too and others in the family and her stepdad's behavior and actions the day of the disappearance and some curious actions afterward (including putting obstacles in front of search and publicity efforts).

That said, as I have shared with the good people here, my view is conjecture just as LE has conjectures during investigations. The stepdad may be innocent indeed but in cases such as this, it is routine to consider people close in the circle suspects.

To my knowledge, no LE has ever dismissed anyone officially including her stepdad.

I've also shared that I believe Kara's path came to someone she knew that day. That could have been a family member, friend, ex boyfriend or someone in the community that she knew but wasn't close to in anyway.

Odds are that Kara did not simply walk away on her on will. I truly believe she would have made contact one way or another with someone by this time.

There was a case that just concluded last week of a college student (male) who vanished a while ago in the north midwest. He was found in California attending another college and told LE he wanted to start a new life. But, he eventually slipped and did a few things that revealed his identity. It's only a matter of time in most cases that this happens to people who have assumed a new life or identity (unless they are in witness protection! LOL)

Anyhow, the formula of the case to me leads itself to something unfortunate happening to Kara by someone else.

I think anyone posting on WS has an interest in solving any case they work on. I personally put my heart and soul into this case, organized searches, searched at longview lake until LE kicked us out, put up flyers all over Kansas, along with hours of research.

I am not ruling anything out and looking at all angles and that includes the stepfather. I would love for you to put what information you have on the board, however since I believe it is against the rules to post on the board to private message for information I will not pm you for this information. I hope you have contacted LE with this important information.

Yes you sure did spend many hours working on this case in a very hands on way! Thank you for doing that BUSY!

There are still days when I wonder if she didn't cross paths with Kelsey Smith's murderer..the picture of the guy in the restaurant seems so similiar to Edwin Hall. But he was ruled out long ago..but does he know anyone else with his same interests who may have done this?

Someone somewhere knows where Kara is. Its time to come forward.
Bumping for Kara

Yes you sure did spend many hours working on this case in a very hands on way! Thank you for doing that BUSY!

There are still days when I wonder if she didn't cross paths with Kelsey Smith's murderer..the picture of the guy in the restaurant seems so similiar to Edwin Hall. But he was ruled out long ago..but does he know anyone else with his same interests who may have done this?

I still wonder about that too DeltaDawn.
It's not like it was every specifically ruled out, they just don't have any evidence suggesting Edwin Hall was involved, IMO.

P.S. I hope my new acct doesn't confuse everyone. I am the poster previously known as StillHoping.

i think edwin hall knows where kara is, i have thought that for a long time.
bluestarzz

This is just ridiculous. Forgive me but this is just one of those days/moments when I think of Kara's case and my blood boils that this is still unresolved completely. I mean not even theories from LE are out there and unless I've missed it, there seems to be no theories put out there by any professional investigators, officials etc.We may be a big big nation land-wise with more than 300 million people but this country is also wired more than ever before...between the Web, security cams, cell phones and their cams, MySpace, Facebook and other social sites, iPhones, Blackberry's, video cams, YouTube, ATM's, credit cards, etc. etc. etc. it isn't that easy to just disapper! But what bothers me is that maybe......it is. By choice or by becoming a victim.I happen to believe that it would be harder for someone to vanish by their own will and remain that way than if a person crosses paths with a sicko and criminal. WHAT are the odds that IF Kara left by will (I don't believe it) NO ONE would know it, eventually let it slip or put one and one together and add it up?? OR, what are the odds that Kara's unfortunate end was met by someone she knew and therefore the folks in Belton know this person too?What are the odds a total stranger...someone she didn't know did this to her? What are the odds she left willingly with someone out of Belton that NO ONE else knew about (including her girlfriends)???Just thinking aloud on a frustrating day....GOD willing....we will close this case soon.....one way or the other. I know a lot of folks feel something rotten has been connected to this case from the case and someone we all have seen/heard involved in this thing knows the answer and I believe that very much.

i think edwin hall knows where kara is, i have thought that for a long time.
bluestarzz

Edwin Hall does look like the sketch, but LE ruled him out long ago. His sentencing trial for the kidnap, rape, sodomy and murder of Kelsey Smith was today and ended just about an hour ago. He got LWOP, so he is going to be a captive audience if LE would like to question him about Kara.

One thing LE said they ruled him out..yet I never remember hearing if he was ever interviewed and questioned by Belton LE. If not ..well now would be the time..the dude has nothing to lose at this point.

Just wondering if anyone believes Kara's situation could possibly be similar to what took place to Shawn Hornbeck in Missouri. His story will be aired on CBS Saturday night on the 48 Hours Mystery program:

CBS) 48 Hours Mystery kicks off its new season with the harrowing story of Shawn Hornbeck, who was kidnapped in October 2002 at the age of 11. Over the course of the next four and a half years, Hornbeck suffered horrific abuses at the hands of his abductor, Michael Devlin, until he was rescued by FBI agents in January 2007. Hornbeck has refused to publicly discuss what happened during the time he was missing until now.

"Nobody knows the real story except for me," says Hornbeck in an exclusive interview with 48 Hours Mystery. "There wasn't a day when I didn’t think he was just gonna kill me…[sometimes] it seemed I was better off dead than living through that."

During the interview, Hornbeck describes what he endured during the years that he was missing - from the instant Devlin knocked him off his bike to the moment he was rescued. "The thing that sticks out the most is [Devlin] said, 'You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time,'" recounts Hornbeck.

For years, Hornbeck lived every day fearing for his life. "From day one, he had the gun, he had the power," Hornbeck tells 48 Hours. Threatened with death and the death of his parents, Hornbeck made a deal with the devil, in this case Devlin. He took on the life Devlin dictated, posing as his son and even making friends. Devlin wielded such terror that Hornbeck never revealed his real identity to anybody, despite numerous opportunities to ask for help. Hornbeck even expresses the trepidation he felt when he first saw the FBI enter Devlin's front door. "I knew when they came in the door, it was either going to be something very good or very bad," he recalls. "It was a new feeling for me to say who I really was."

Additionally, 48 Hours Mystery speaks exclusively with FBI agent Lynn Willett, who’s been called a human polygraph machine. In her first in-depth interview about this case, Willet describes her conversation with Devlin, which led to Shawn’s rescue. Friends, family and a child psychologist also discuss Hornbeck’s remarkable journey to hell and back. Most chilling is Shawn’s first-hand account of what happened. It is a compelling hour of survival.

Correspondent Troy Roberts reports for the season premiere of 48 Hours Mystery, this Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.

Edwin Hall does look like the sketch, but LE ruled him out long ago. His sentencing trial for the kidnap, rape, sodomy and murder of Kelsey Smith was today and ended just about an hour ago. He got LWOP, so he is going to be a captive audience if LE would like to question him about Kara.

One thing LE said they ruled him out..yet I never remember hearing if he was ever interviewed and questioned by Belton LE. If not ..well now would be the time..the dude has nothing to lose at this point.

So glad that he will never get out of prison. I wonder if he thinks it was worth it! These lame brains think they won't get caught...don't they read the newspapers or listen to the news for pity sake. Heck, he was so dumb he didn't even hardly get time to take a fresh breath before they slapped the handcuffs on him. I feel bad for his wife and little one though. I wonder if she got a divorce or is standing by him?

I don't know what kind of alibi Edwin had but I don't believe that Kara is still alive. I doubt that she lived past the first day that she disappeared. If he murdered her I wish he would just say so though.

Just wondering if anyone believes Kara's situation could possibly be similar to what took place to Shawn Hornbeck in Missouri. His story will be aired on CBS Saturday night on the 48 Hours Mystery program:

CBS) 48 Hours Mystery kicks off its new season with the harrowing story of Shawn Hornbeck, who was kidnapped in October 2002 at the age of 11. Over the course of the next four and a half years, Hornbeck suffered horrific abuses at the hands of his abductor, Michael Devlin, until he was rescued by FBI agents in January 2007. Hornbeck has refused to publicly discuss what happened during the time he was missing until now.

"Nobody knows the real story except for me," says Hornbeck in an exclusive interview with 48 Hours Mystery. "There wasn't a day when I didn’t think he was just gonna kill me…[sometimes] it seemed I was better off dead than living through that."

During the interview, Hornbeck describes what he endured during the years that he was missing - from the instant Devlin knocked him off his bike to the moment he was rescued. "The thing that sticks out the most is [Devlin] said, 'You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time,'" recounts Hornbeck.

For years, Hornbeck lived every day fearing for his life. "From day one, he had the gun, he had the power," Hornbeck tells 48 Hours. Threatened with death and the death of his parents, Hornbeck made a deal with the devil, in this case Devlin. He took on the life Devlin dictated, posing as his son and even making friends. Devlin wielded such terror that Hornbeck never revealed his real identity to anybody, despite numerous opportunities to ask for help. Hornbeck even expresses the trepidation he felt when he first saw the FBI enter Devlin's front door. "I knew when they came in the door, it was either going to be something very good or very bad," he recalls. "It was a new feeling for me to say who I really was."

Additionally, 48 Hours Mystery speaks exclusively with FBI agent Lynn Willett, who’s been called a human polygraph machine. In her first in-depth interview about this case, Willet describes her conversation with Devlin, which led to Shawn’s rescue. Friends, family and a child psychologist also discuss Hornbeck’s remarkable journey to hell and back. Most chilling is Shawn’s first-hand account of what happened. It is a compelling hour of survival.

Correspondent Troy Roberts reports for the season premiere of 48 Hours Mystery, this Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.

I watched this but it was an episode about two teen girls who were kidnapped at a popular lookout point in California. Was a good story, with a nice ending, though lots of trauma ocurred. I think the Shawn Hornbeck story was on earlier in September. Sad I missed it.

Anyway, I am thinking of Kara today and always. I pray the time is short before answers are known and Kara is home.

I don't think that Kara is being held somewhere against her will. There is always a chance that she is but those cases are few and far between. Most of those cases are kids that have been taken be pedos

If LE had started looking for Kara right away instead of labeling her a runaway she might have been found. I don't know if it started out with her running away but I have my doubts. I think she met someone and then was harmed. She could have met with someone that she knew or just happened to meet someone and they started talking and he took it from there.

I just wish this case would be resolved but I wonder if it ever will. So many missing people with no trace of any of them.

I don't think that Kara is being held somewhere against her will. There is always a chance that she is but those cases are few and far between. Most of those cases are kids that have been taken be pedos

If LE had started looking for Kara right away instead of labeling her a runaway she might have been found. I don't know if it started out with her running away but I have my doubts. I think she met someone and then was harmed. She could have met with someone that she knew or just happened to meet someone and they started talking and he took it from there.

I just wish this case would be resolved but I wonder if it ever will. So many missing people with no trace of any of them.

I have to agree with you Bobbisangel about if LE had started looking for Kara right away, she probably would have been found. Like you, I doubt that it even started out with her running away. What teenage runaway does so without their cell phone and ipod and brand new carton of smokes?

Wow, I just realized my baby is due the day after Kara's 2 year's missing anniversary. I pray she will be home by then. She will forever be in my prayers.

Does anyone know if Belton PD moved this to cold case status? I'm sure public relations-wise they would claim they are still actively investigating but I doubt it. I don't recall hearing or reading a syllable from the Belton PD in a long long time about this case.

Hmmmm...I recall something to that effect when there were found remains of another person they were called in to compare. IIRC, they did say it was a cold case...but since I am not certain...don't quote me on it. I believe they discussed having no new leads and only ones like that one would be followed up on. (Or else I dreamed it. LOL)

Personally, Search Hawk...I don't believe it could be a case such as Shawn Hornbeck's. Granted, that was a very unusual case which had the best outcome we could ever have expected...but for Kara's case, I believe there are too many things which point to foul play being involved.

Shawn didn't have turmoil at home with a step-father. Shawn didn't have an ex with a restraining order. And there are many other things in this case which would not lean towards her having been in a kidnapped/alive scenario. Sad to say. :(

SS, I agree..too many things point to foul play in Kara's case. She left things at home that obviously a runaway would take, and that should have alerted Belton PD the minute they got the case. I think this may be a crime someone takes to their grave, meaning unless remains are stumbled upon or someone comes forward with info or a confession, we may never know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80