GUILTY MO - Rowan Ford, 9, raped & murdered, Stella, 3 Nov 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge hears pre-trial motions in David Spears case for murder of Rowan Ford

by Sara Forhetz, KY3 News
Story Published: Apr 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM CDT
Story Updated: Apr 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM CDT

<snip>

The hearing is part of the pre-trial legal wrangling between defense attorneys and prosecutors. Circuit Judge Tracy Storie is hearing arguments for and against motions concerning evidence. Spears is scheduled for trial in July.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/90848764.html

This case turned me inside out when it happened-it is clear the defense tactic is to draw this out as long as possible to soften the memory of this poor baby.

Hope they sleep well at night.

The legal system of today.........the lawyers looking for any loophole to try and get these monsters off.....I could not be one of their lawyers and dont know how they do it and sleep at night......

This was one of the worst cases I have ever read about and I still feel so sad for that little girl reading this.....

yikes I have just reread my post above on this page

re the lice I sound like a snob and sorry did not want to appear that way at all...

just last night I had to do a treatment on my five year old sons "nit" problem so I understand how common they are and that having lice doesnt automatically mean she was a dirty girl....so sorry everyone I hope I didnt offend anyone whose kids have had lice.......

however what I was getting at but did not come across right...was WHERE the lice was supposedly found on her.......that to me was so sad for a little girl...

Expert: Stepfather falsely confessed in Rowan Ford murder
21 June 2010 / Joplin Globe
by Jeff Lehr

WAYNESVILLE, Mo. &#8212; Detective Brian Martin interviewed David W. Spears a day after Spears reportedly confessed to another investigator that he had participated in the rape and murder of Rowan Ford.

Martin, a Barry County sheriff&#8217;s investigator, wanted to know firsthand from the 9-year-old girl&#8217;s stepfather: Did he kill her?

&#8220;I can&#8217;t say that I didn&#8217;t,&#8221; Spears told Martin, according to a transcript of the interview that was presented at a hearing Monday in Pulaski County Circuit Court in Waynesville.

Martin pressed him to be more clear.

&#8220;Any way that you look at it, I didn&#8217;t save her,&#8221; Spears told him. &#8220;I might as well have (killed her).&#8221;
---
Richard Leo, a law professor at the University of San Francisco and an expert on police interrogations and the obtaining of false confessions, told the court that he interviewed Spears one year ago and reviewed case documents. He said he believes that Spears falsely confessed to [Chief Deputy Chris] Jennings after about a week of accusatory interrogations during which investigators used a number of coercive techniques that various studies associate with the obtaining of false confessions.

Leo said he thinks Spears gradually came to internalize a belief that he must have committed the crime even though he had no memory of it, and this produced a false confession. Leo told the court that the interview with Martin one day later shows that Spears still had no memory of committing the rape and murder of the girl, just as he had maintained all along under questioning before the reported confession.
---
There is no trace evidence of the girl&#8217;s body having been inside the Chevrolet Suburban that Spears purportedly drove to [co-defendant Chris L.] Collings&#8217; home, she said. That is significant because in his confession, Spears reportedly told Jennings that the men hauled the girl&#8217;s body in the Suburban to dispose of her down a sinkhole in McDonald County. On the other hand, [Spears' attorney Cynthia] Dryden said, there is trace evidence of Rowan having been in Collings&#8217; pickup truck.
---
Dryden told the court that only a small concluding portion of Jennings&#8217; interrogation of Spears on Nov. 9, 2007, was taped. She said the portion during which he purportedly confessed to certain details of the crime was not recorded. Nor were several other interrogations of him by investigators in the days leading up to his confession, she said.
---

and more, at
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x1...father-falsely-confessed-in-Rowan-Ford-murder

Okay. I thought he was drinking? Can anyone fast track M.E. report to me? I will start going back and looking. I thought they did have his DNA? Thank You all so much. What a horrible crime.

There is no trace in his vehicle, but the two men told the identical story of the rape with the exception that they both confessed to strangling her. With the cord from the blinds, IIRC. And there was physical evidence from both men. IIRC. I have never seen an autopsy report...

Now, it does not bother me that he claims not to remember-it is almost immaterial. It bothers me TREMENDOUSLY that the department looks like they forced him into a confession and they did not tape his interrogations. Because this is going to set off a flurry of challenges to evidence in the case based upon this. And Rowan deserves better than this-she deserves to have the men who hurt her and murdered her to pay for it.

Good God, this makes me ill.

From the previously linked article:

David Spears confessed to officers about committing the crime but his lawyers are trying to get the confession thrown out because they don't think Spears understood his right not to incriminate himself.

I say nonsense! He understood his rights. His weasel of an attorney makes me sick. I say let this maggot burn. Even if he didn't commit the "final act" of strangulation, he was clearly involved and allowed a horrific crime to occur. That's guilty in my book.

I'm new to Websleuths and grew up in the Stella area.

I had some issues with what was going to happen to the donation money collected for Rowan's funeral. It had came out that the local Clark Funeral Home was donating the funeral, so the proceeds wouldn't be needed. This was after the donation site had been set up. I had called Hometown bank where the donations were being taken and was advised that any money collected and not needed toward the funeral would be given to the mother. I had and still have issues with the mother profiting off of the death of her daughter, when she was the one that drug that into Rowan's life.

Not sure if you all know but Colleen changed her name during her divorce. She has been charged a couple of times for traffic violations and according to the Missouri court site she's on probation for at least one of those at this time.

RIP, little Rowan...you deserved so much better than what was given to you.

Welcome to WS Ellebelle and thank you for your perspective. Has Rowan's mom ever been charged in connection to Rowan's murder? I know that she evokes strong feelings in general, but I see her as a victim too, although she was indeed the beginning of my education on women who crave a partner regardless of the children she has in her life...just my view of Rowan's stepfather.

From the previously linked article:

I say nonsense! He understood his rights. His weasel of an attorney makes me sick. I say let this maggot burn. Even if he didn't commit the "final act" of strangulation, he was clearly involved and allowed a horrific crime to occur. That's guilty in my book.

Oh now I would say that David has sufficient history with LE to understand self incrimination. JMO.

The only way these guys are going to save their own lives is if they testify against each other and someone gets the better deal for doing so-if LE actually did not tape his interrogation, then they stepped in it.

Welcome to WS Ellebelle and thank you for your perspective. Has Rowan's mom ever been charged in connection to Rowan's murder? I know that she evokes strong feelings in general, but I see her as a victim too, although she was indeed the beginning of my education on women who crave a partner regardless of the children she has in her life...just my view of Rowan's stepfather.
No, she's never been charged in Rowan's death.
I've been told that she moved on to her next man pretty soon, so I assume that she is one of those that need a significant other in their lives, and I'm not going to blame her for that. I do place blame, though, on it being just any ole significant other, when she had children in her home. I think she is a victim, too, in a way, but I'm just tired of parents not being choosy about who is in their children's lives.
I just don't want her or anyone to profit off of Rowan or any other missing, abused, molested or murdered child!

Judge delays trial of Chris Collings for Rowan Ford's murder in Barry County MO

ROLLA, Mo. -- Continued challenges to possible prosecution evidence and other trial procedures caused a judge to again postpone the trial of Chris Collings for the rape and murder of 9-year-old Rowan Ford in November 2007. Rowan was the stepdaughter of Collings' friend, David Spears, who is also charged with Rowan's rape and murder.

more here

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-collings-chris-murder-trial-delay-11302010,0,6820454.story

Judge delays trial of Chris Collings for Rowan Ford's murder in Barry County MO

ROLLA, Mo. -- Continued challenges to possible prosecution evidence and other trial procedures caused a judge to again postpone the trial of Chris Collings for the rape and murder of 9-year-old Rowan Ford in November 2007. Rowan was the stepdaughter of Collings' friend, David Spears, who is also charged with Rowan's rape and murder.

more here

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-collings-chris-murder-trial-delay-11302010,0,6820454.story

This stinks ! Am hoping nothing gets thrown out as the defense would like for it to be. There was a proper search warrant with adequate probable cause to search his property. He confessed - lets just get on with the trial.

Jeez! Both of these <modsnip> should have been hung up by there <modsnip> by now. Makes me sick.

I just read this whole thread... I can't believe that I didn't even know about poor little Rowan... 8-(

I live in Potosi and I really hope that these "men" end up here while they wait for their excecution... My DH works at the prison in Bonne Terre, which is where they do the actual execution...

From your link, TM:
"Someone kidnapped Rowan from her home in Stella, which is in Newton County. Her body was found one week later in a cave or sinkhole in McDonald County. Investigators think Collings and Spears raped and murdered her at Collings home in Barry County before hiding her body."

Except they both confessed. Investigators think? They know, since both of these guys confessed.

From your link, TM:
"Someone kidnapped Rowan from her home in Stella, which is in Newton County. Her body was found one week later in a cave or sinkhole in McDonald County. Investigators think Collings and Spears raped and murdered her at Collings home in Barry County before hiding her body."

Except they both confessed. Investigators think? They know, since both of these guys confessed.

That seems to be part of the issue. From TM's article above:

"Defense attorneys challenge the introduction to the jury of a confession that Collings made. They also hope to suppress any statements Collings made, and any evidence collected during searches of his property. A hearing on that issue concluded on Monday and Sheffield took the matter under advisement." BBM

Link: http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-collings-chris-murder-trial-delay-11302010,0,6820454.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500