GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

No idea who that is/was.

Gregory Peck was just an actor--a good actor, but still an actor.

David Saacks is the real deal! And best of all, he's alive! :)

We need to petition the DA's office to give Saacks a huge raise to encourage him to stay there forever. I would honestly break down and cry if I heard he was leaving for another ADA position or to go into private practice. Wake County needs David Saacks and his brilliance. He surely shines brightly in comparison to some of the others in that office.

Oh my, Gregory Peck. My forever and ever first love.
I'm sorry Glee, I don't know the other fellow you mentioned. But I can tell you about my fantasies and Gregory Peck's beautiful lower lip :)

Gosh, I wish I could find another court tv *old-timer*. :please: I've tried googling this man to no avail. :( IIRC, I think it might have been a medical malpractice case. At the time it was a high profile case. I think NY city, but could have been Boston. It might have been that case where the parents took their young adult daughter to the ER for a sore throat, and within a few hours she was dead. I seem to recall the dad getting this case in the media. Am I ringing any bells with anyone?

Saacks recently got a raise to bring him up to a comparable amount for Wake County, but he deserves another bump.

Cummings should be retiring at some point soon-ish like in the next few years, and my vote would go to Saacks for that vacated spot.

Gosh, I wish I could find another court tv *old-timer*. :please: I've tried googling this man to no avail. :( IIRC, I think it might have been a medical malpractice case. At the time it was a high profile case. I think NY city, but could have been Boston. It might have been that case where the parents took their young adult daughter to the ER for a sore throat, and within a few hours she was dead. I seem to recall the dad getting this case in the media. Am I ringing any bells with anyone?

I used to watch Court TV back in the 90s and early 2000s. Stopped and didn't watch it any more until the CA trial last year when it was Tru TV. So I probably missed the case you are trying to remember. I will google around and see if I can come up with anything. So sorry I can't help you.

"He's controlled, he's respectful..."

ORLY?????? Frack you lady. Twice. Newsflash: ONCE an alcoholic, ALWAYS an alcoholic.

bbm -

Can you imagine, seachiq, being one of KT's sons or daughters, sitting there in court and hearing THAT? Makes me want to scream...

Yeah, he's controlled & respectful, with 2 WCSD deputies and a bailiff within 3--10 feet of him and under about a million mm of lithium.
icon8.gif

They better not let him work in the prison kitchen.....or garden if they grow zucchini. I hadn't heard about the prison wine infraction. Hmmmm

He won't need cucumbers in prison... He's supposed to be on one of the lowest rungs of the inmate ladder, according to Aiken, so he'll probably always be on the bottom of the prison pile.

And that's all I'm going to say about that...

:twocents:

Oh yeah, that was the other thing I disagreed with Aiken. Other prisoners don't care about a crime like what JW committed. Maybe if it was on a child then yes...maybe. JW won't have power because he isn't part of a gang. And if JW gets sexually attacked...well...he'll like it, that's kind of what he was trolling Craig's List for, so that's not going to scare him. Prisoners haven't cared when wife killers have gotten to prison, and they're not going to care about the murder of Kathy Taft either.

All this "prison justice" we hear about doesn't really exist. If there's a beating or attack it's not because of the crime someone committed on the outside, it's because of some power structure/gang thing/racial thing on the inside.

I was extremely disappointed the DP wasn't handed down in the Channon Christian crime, can't recall the name of the poor guy? And those Wichita home invaders/rapists/killers, were they the Carr brothers? I'm sorry, some days I'm so bad with remembering names. :banghead: But I usually remember 'the worst of the worst' crimes.

Newsome or something similar, IIRC, glee.

I just listened to David Saacks' closing again. Really one of the best and he's a great orator. Had I been in the gallery I would have wanted to give him a standing ovation.

Me, too, Mad74! He was brilliant & passionate. While listening, l'il ole LWOPpy me was thinking, well maybe he does deserve the Death Penalty. Man-oh-man Saacks is The One. I hope CW and the State of NC can keep him happily on the PT side until HC is ready to retire... and then CW can do the same, eventually, with a smile 'cause he knows Wake County will be in gr-r-r-reat shape. Oh we can't let him slip over to the Big Money side of the courtroom....

I agree with the practicality of LWOP -- no more headlines, no future days when out-of-town defense attorneys come rolling in here to save day and JW's azz, and maybe just a little photo-op or two and a tad of er, um, publicity perhaps... Better to lock him up, feed him, medicate him if/when he needs it, and let him fade into the grey walls....

But then, I listen to Saacks... Wow, huh?

Oh my, Gregory Peck. My forever and ever first love.
I'm sorry Glee, I don't know the other fellow you mentioned. But I can tell you about my fantasies and Gregory Peck's beautiful lower lip :)

Yes, and, East and Glee:crush:, those eyes....oh, those eyes.... :bateyes:

OT///// I saw this article in the Greenville Reflector online and thought it was interesting. It's about a law taking away TV privileges from death row inmates.

http://www.reflector.com/ap/staten/nc-house-panel-votes-bar-death-row-tvs-1093007

Ohhh, that's bad, IMO. We don't want them to be pampered and treated like guests and to eat bon-bons all day, but you got to admit, TV is a great baby-sitter. It keeps them still & not either looking for or running into trouble. The programs that they are allowed to choose are reviewed so that the inmates can't see -- probably -- young children (no Andy Griffith, no Little House), no babes (oops, there goes Dukes of Hazzard, and nearly half the shows on tv), no shows with violence, etc., etc. Probably some game shows, maybe "I Love Lucy," baseball, and other non-violent sports, IDK.

I sure would dread making that announcement and having to deal with that aftermath....

Let me ask you all a question....now that we know that Kathy's daughters want for him to get the death penalty, does it change your mind in the direction of DP or reinforce any beliefs you had before about the sentence of death?
Speaking for myself, I have not had a strong opinion about what his sentence will be. I am just happy to know he'll never get out of prison. I've always been on the fence about the death penalty, under any circumstances, but my one hang up has always been that if the family of the victim wants the death penalty, I feel like their feelings should be taken into consideration. Their feelings will not be taken into consideration in this case, in front of the jury. While Jason's family and friends all got on the stand to plea for his life, none of Kathy's family was given that opportunity. I think the State has done a good job but not a great job. Saacks is an ace and Jacobs is, too. But, I feel there is one huge error in their case: they didn't have anyone from Kathy's family to speak for her, her family and from their perspective. She's had zero advocacy while Jason's entire defense was about people taking up for him. She was a great gal who did a lot of important, awesome things. She was a mother, a grandmother, a sister and an extraordinary citizen who worked hard to help others. Jason was a drunk and a loser. Yet, somehow, he got to tell his story, to the point that it made me sick and I had to shut it off. Kathy Taft, or her family members, didn't get the chance to tell us all about what a wonderful woman she was and all the great things she did. And they never will. That bothers me. Nobody has ever stood up for this woman, who was the longest-standing member of the State Board of Education before she was murdered, giving nearly twenty years of her life to help kids and anyone else who wanted to improve their lives. That's just the tip of the iceberg of what this woman did for the people of the State of North Carolina. It bothers me that the State never really told her story. It bothers me a LOT!
Having said that, I don't expect it but if, somehow, he's sentenced to death, I feel like I'll be at peace with it. I'm just being honest in saying that I've gone from saying that if I were on that jury, I would've undoubtedly voted "Life In Prison, No Parole" to (with what I know now,) "death might be an act of mercy to him and Kathy's family wants this." I understand it's a terribly expensive thing to have an inmate on death row, with all of the appeals, etc. I also have moral qualms with a state-ordered killing. But, if Kathy Taft's family wants a death sentence, shouldn't we, as a society, take that into consideration? We can't honor Kathy's last wishes. Shouldn't we honor her and her legacy, by way of enforcing the wishes of the people who loved her? Help me out here. I'm really struggling with this.

It does seem like Kathy's story got lost a bit in the mix. Testimony has necessarily focused on proving the facts of the crime and getting all of that into the hands of the jury so they could render a legal verdict. Kathy's sis was supposed to testify but couldn't. Kathy's friend JG (whose house she was in) died last year so his perspective on KT was lost. One of Kathy's daughters testified, but again it was to focus on facts of KT going to Raleigh and her general movements. The point was to secure testimony about the crime itself and events leading up to and then after.

If the family chooses to make victim impact statements that will be the time they can talk about KT's life and accomplishments and legacy. For whatever reason they did not testify during the sentencing phase.

As for the other topic you raised, I'm for the DP in general. However, in this particular case I don't have a strong feeling for or against it. I can make an argument in either direction. Whatever the jury decides is fine with me; it's a tough decision for anyone to have to make even when the person "deserves" it.

It does seem like Kathy's story got lost a bit in the mix. Testimony has necessarily focused on proving the facts of the crime and getting all of that into the hands of the jury so they could render a legal verdict. Kathy's sis was supposed to testify but couldn't. Kathy's friend JG (whose house she was in) died last year so his perspective on KT was lost. One of Kathy's daughters testified, but again it was to focus on facts of KT going to Raleigh and her general movements. The point was to secure testimony about the crime itself and events leading up to and then after.

If the family chooses to make victim impact statements that will be the time they can talk about KT's life and accomplishments and legacy. For whatever reason they did not testify during the sentencing phase.

As for the other topic you raised, I'm for the DP in general. However, in this particular case I don't have a strong feeling for or against it. I can make an argument in either direction. Whatever the jury decides is fine with me; it's a tough decision for anyone to have to make even when the person "deserves" it.
I appreciate your matter-of-fact approach and thoughts, Madeleine. I would say that your statement that Kathy's story "got lost a bit in the mix" is a big understatement, though. Kathy was a mother of four children and grandmother to 7 or 8 babies. She was also an extraordinary citizen and a strong advocate for the people of this state, especially children. While I understand the State wanted to put on a factual, streamlined case, I disagree that she was a "bit lost in the mix." Kathy Taft, her life, her family and her accomplishments were almost completely ignored by both sides. Kathy's sister's testimony may have been a problem, given the issues she apparently had/has with booze and pills. John Geil wasn't even here when it happened and was no longer romantically-involved with Kathy at the time of this murder. He may have had some wonderful things to say but we'll never know because he passed away a long while ago. The State put her daughter up on the stand and basically asked her nothing of any weight or value. I see that as a HUGE lost opportunity. Through her daughter, they could've really shown what this woman was about and who she was. They didn't. The State could've made a much stronger case for Kathy, rather than letting the whole trial be about Jason, his problems, how much his family loves him, mitigating this-or-that, etc. Don't get me wrong. I think the State has done a good job. Not a great job, though. They could've and should've done more, in my opinion.
I should add that I feel like the defense lawyers have been mostly despicable and really annoying throughout this trial. I don't like any of them. Not that they had a leg to stand on to begin with, but what tiny bit of defense they've presented has been lame and to say the least, they've gone at it, ad nauseam. Their treatment of Jessica and Mary Jo was disgusting to me.

In restrospect, I think it's just typical of the defense to pull out all the stops with whatever they can dig up to elicit some sympathy from the jury. It's not right, it's just the way it is. The job is to win no matter what process is used. As far as giving Kathy more time to be talked about, I'm sure the prosecutors did not feel the need. It really wasnt' necessary because everyone already knew she was a top notch person, and she doesn't need legions of folks to get up there and talk about it. it's a fact. So, the defense can say whatever they want, bring in all kinds of witnesses, shed tears, and love JW, but the crime is what it is, a beautiful life was taken. The facts really do speak for themselves.

Well, of course I'll give my :twocents: on this, uknow! (bbm)

We know that the State does not throw the DP at every murder case, even those coupled with rape. Nothing against doing it in this case, certainly, but I have read on other far less IMO respected venues, comments like, "How come this is a DP case? Because she was some big buddy of the governor?" and "I'm all for the DP, so why didn't they have it in the ~so-and-so~ case?" and the like.

And now we know that at least some of KT's folks were in favor of the DP.

Just my opinion, but I still think the addition of the DP was at least in part a politically-driven decision. (I will say here for the record, for better or worse, that I am a die-hard Democrat and a liberal, OMG!! so I have no adverse agenda about the folks who may have encouraged the DP element of this case). There it is.

Here's my quandary: Is KT and who-she-is and what-she-did having to be soft-pedaled because the DP is in play here? Again, we do hear comments about why the DP in this case & not in cases where the victim was just a "regular" citizen? Could this be part of it? In other murder cases which would and would not qualify for capital punishment, we do hear much more about what a good mother and/or wife she was, how much church/volunteer work she did. Witnesses testify about what a good friend/mother/wife/professional she was, etc., etc., and we have indeed had none of that. And I would ASSUME that the jurors were asked about how much they knew about KT...

Just my thoughts. Please know that I have no agenda here other than justice. And I am certainly not trying to rouse babble or point fingers at anyone or anything, but I do wonder about it a bit. JMHO. :waitasec:

I'm just waking up, and sisters laces and borndem are already making sense, wtf :coffeews:

These are excellent comments and questions. I would recommend sending them to the DA's office, no1 and borndem.

I'm just waking up, and sisters laces and borndem are already making sense, wtf :coffeews:

:coffeecup: We out here on the East Coast have a cup or four of caffeinated coffee :cup: :cup: instead of milk. Maybe you should try that, my little coffee-bean. :coffeeup: It may help as well that we have a 3-hour head start! Or do you prefer that we Stop Making Sense?

Oh, yes, almost forgot!! Good Morning, sea-chiq! , :cup:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xsealtm1
Back