New developments in unsolved Jennings murders

Perhaps I should have posted that the other way around. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to indicate race was "the" deciding factor. Whichever way it goes, it seems *to me* that a way of life, or perhaps, a role in life that was not chosen but was, IDK, *assumed*? means that these women were not taken seriously as victims, at first. Then, the pearl-clutchers don't want to know, that these women "weren't one of us" kicks in, so they are overlooked.

Does that make sense? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly, without resorting to stereotypes too much. All I see from this thread is that to be poor, perhaps involved with drugs, perhaps to be involved in prostitution, perhaps to be from the "wrong side of the tracks" seems to be an excuse for the murder of all these women and *someone* got away with it, because no one really cared.

This makes me incredibly sad.

I hope I explained myself better.

I know how you feel. I've just come to the point where I don't think there will ever be a legal resolution for these women. :( Hopefully I'm just jaded and there will be.

It is good to have some movement on the Jennings thread and new eyes on the case, though! :)

Crazy to think that there wouldnt be.

I mean it isnt the 70's .
we have dna,fingerprints, forensics. Not to mention the public responds well to rewards and often without them will call in tips. Also one never knows where a camera might be. We are not talking one murder here.

I truely hope that a legal resolution is coming.

Perhaps I should have posted that the other way around. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to indicate race was "the" deciding factor. Whichever way it goes, it seems *to me* that a way of life, or perhaps, a role in life that was not chosen but was, IDK, *assumed*? means that these women were not taken seriously as victims, at first. Then, the pearl-clutchers don't want to know, that these women "weren't one of us" kicks in, so they are overlooked.

Does that make sense? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly, without resorting to stereotypes too much. All I see from this thread is that to be poor, perhaps involved with drugs, perhaps to be involved in prostitution, perhaps to be from the "wrong side of the tracks" seems to be an excuse for the murder of all these women and *someone* got away with it, because no one really cared.

This makes me incredibly sad.

I hope I explained myself better.
Speaking as a 'pearl clutcher' as you call us, I respectfully disagree. Not all of us feel the same about this tragedy. As you no doubt see, & as the Mickey Shunick case shows, the more vocal the socio-economic group, the more things can move. It's been a while since these deaths occurred. Yes, they were from the same 'socio-economic' group, but someone does care: there's a sign now in an empty lot on Zigler avenue just before Stine lumber about these girls. I doubt that it will get solved. And I believe that many people in town, 'pearl clutchers' included, have their own theories. Ive heard many of them. But as the passing of time fades memory, & these deaths are no longer fresh in locals' minds, motivation is experiential.

Speaking as a 'pearl clutcher' as you call us, I respectfully disagree. Not all of us feel the same about this tragedy. As you no doubt see, & as the Mickey Shunick case shows, the more vocal the socio-economic group, the more things can move. It's been a while since these deaths occurred. Yes, they were from the same 'socio-economic' group, but someone does care: there's a sign now in an empty lot on Zigler avenue just before Stine lumber about these girls. I doubt that it will get solved. And I believe that many people in town, 'pearl clutchers' included, have their own theories. Ive heard many of them. But as the passing of time fades memory, & these deaths are no longer fresh in locals' minds, motivation is experiential.

Forgive me for not knowing, but what in the world is a 'pearl clutcher'?

http://www.kplctv.com/story/2459426...rom-2009-special-report-on-jeff-davis-murders

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 4:46 PM CST
Lake Charles, LA (AP) -
Investigators in Jeff Davis Parish continue to look for leads in eight unsolved murders between 2006 and 2009, and they believe unaired video from KPLC-TV may help them. Until recently, that video was thought to be lost forever.

More than four years after a special report aired on KPLC-TV profiling the murders, Jeff Davis Parish District Attorney Michael Cassidy asked a court to order the station to hand over raw video from the interviews of Tracee Chaisson and Frankie Richard.

KPLC-TV decided not to turn over the unedited footage, arguing that is was not in compliance with state or federal law, including the U.S. Constitution.

Despite the legal battle between prosecutors and the television station, another challenge was presented: station personnel could not locate the unedited video.

KPLC-TV News Director Charlie Haldeman explained the raw video wasn't believed to exist any longer.

"In the digital age, field video is recorded over, and the video that was there before it is often erased," Haldeman said.

Haldeman said the files were found on a unmarked hard drive recently.

"I plugged the drive in to my PC and saw several folders with what appeared to be video from our special report. That's when I remembered the court order from 2012," Haldeman said.

The 2012 subpoena was at least the second attempt by prosecutors to see raw video. KPLC-TV reported in 2009 that prosecutors had asked for the same video.

The drive contains seven video clips of Chaisson and Richard's interviews with KPLC's Theresa Schmidt and Lee Peck.

Five years after a series of unsolved murders shocked the region, little is known about who committed the crimes.

Chaisson said in 2009 that she knew some of the girls, but denied knowing anything about their deaths. Richard said he also knew most of the victims, and was initially called a person of interest by investigators.

While the station fought the court order, Haldeman said the decision to release the unedited video will satisfy the court and the public.

"I think that now we've found it and reviewed it, there's no reason not to post it on kplctv.com for everybody to see. Investigators will be able to see it too."

You can view the video clips by clicking HERE or by going to www.kplctv.com/category/278184/jeff-davis-outtake-video-landing-page

More information on the unsolved murders is available HERE or by going to www.kplctv.com/category/154324/jeff-davis-mystery-deaths

I just find it very odd that the drug bust of 6 (4 actually apprehended & 2 are wanted), the story of JD8 is picked up by the NY Times and a body turns up in L.A. all in the same week?!

Is the surface finally being scratched?! Has a can of worms been opened and the truth is crawling out?!

I just wanna know if the sudden spotlight on JD8 has caused the suspect(s) to act out in vengeance to keep this "game" up! Because, it seems that it's a game being played with people's lives.

Here is a very good write up by a true crime author. (Ethan Brown, wrote "Shake off the Devil" about a horrific post Katrina murder). Ethan went to Jennings and spent quite a bit of time there, getting to know all of the people involved in the case. Here is is his article

https://medium.com/p/d1b813e13581

I hope this link will show up. It is not main stream media but rather a forum of LSU alumnae and sports fans. So their posters are fairly educated people from all over Louisiana and beyond and they usually have a pretty good base of information to contribute to any conversation. Granted, some of it is just them being funny or smart @ss. But quite a few posters there are from the Jennings area and I think it adds some new viewpoints and background info to the case.
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/47980960/Jennings-8-Murders.aspx

Also, i find this quote absolutely appalling "The murder statistics of this rural stretch of Acadiana are sobering. The eight killings, along with nine other unsolved murders in the area since the first body was discovered, give Jefferson Davis Parish one of the lowest clearance rates for homicide in the country. According to the FBI, the parish has a clearance rate of less than seven percent, compared to a national clearance rate of 64 percent." Source: http://www.wwltv.com/news/eyewitness/mikeperlstein/Jennings-8-242812251.html

The nation rate for solving murders is 64%. Less that 7 percent of murders are solved in this parish! I would have thought that the state or the feds would have taken over at this point.

Thank you, Swamp Mama. We have a separate thread Brown's piece, but the other links are fine here. TD is okay for now.

Thank you, Swamp Mama. We have a separate thread Brown's piece, but the other links are fine here. TD is okay for now.

Thanks Bessie! I wasn't aware of that thread but I will find it and go check it out.

ETA: Found it. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233350"]Who Really Murdered the Jeff Davis 8? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I would love to get my hands on that 109 page report that is mentioned in the articles. I wonder if the if it is available to the public or if Ethan Brown will put the information from it online, perhaps in a dedicated website for this case. Such a website might even encourage people to be able to reveal things anonymously, or attract those who no longer live around Jennings and haven't been interviewed.

" a 109-page report by a multi-agency task force created in 2008 to solve the killings contains dozens of interviews in which witnesses suggest police involvement. The document, obtained by WWL-TV, has been heavily researched by author and private investigator Ethan Brown. " ( http://www.wwltv.com/news/eyewitness/mikeperlstein/Jennings-8-242812251.html)

I have known about this case but hadn't really read in depth about it but now I am reading all that I can about it. The murder rate in JD parish is rather high for such a small town, rural area. In comparison, the area I live in (also a rural small town Louisiana parish), has about 1 murder a year and they are almost always a case of family or roommates fighting.

Since the going theory is that there is more than one killer, I wonder if the killers are in cahoots with each other or if they don't know who the other killer(s) is/are.

I also wonder why the investigators feel there is more than one killer? The manner of deaths may be different and there may be other differences but couldn't it just be that this is not someone who kills solely for the kill but rather simply wants to ensure that they do not reveal what they knew.

Also, this "Gary" guy, who was a police officer, knew the murdered girls and was conducting some shady things on the job... When did he leave town and did the murders stop then? If they didn't, is it possible that he came back to town secretly, just to kill again to throw the suspicion off of him?

Has anyone ever constructed a timeline all of the killings and surrounding activities and people?

I'm off to go some more reading on this.

I'm sure these must have been posted before but I wanted to post them so they are easy for me to find.

This is a timeline from the "Murder in Jeff Davis Parish"
http://jdpkiller.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/jdp-violent-crimes-synopsis/

On the above link I noticed that they mentioned a forum for discussion that had been moved (with a link on the left of that page) . I clicked the link and there are hundreds of posts on all aspects of the killings in Jeff Parish. I don't know if it is ok to post that link but is looks really interesting.

I'm trying to play catch up with ya'll. I have lots of reading to do

Haven't had the chance to see the uncut videos yet, will do that this weekend. I've seen the previously published ones.

Never seen the tiger site before either. Just finished it. One odd observation, although probably nothing at all, on January 31st one poster mentions the last name of the girl found that day. She had not been identified yet. A few posts later someone posts the news article about a female found. I realize it could mean nothing, just odd.

Swampmama; if you check through here on some of the older threads, once you are caught up, there are even older places with news clippings going back further about it all. It is incredibly intricate putting all the characters together.

I do hope each time renewed interest comes up that some resolution will be found for all these girls and their families. I know they all probably "know" the answers anyway, but the girls deserve justice of some sort.

I had to check it out. lol Just a coincidence. It's an extremely common name in south Louisiana, and those guys were just trying to figure out if their families were acquainted.

I had to check it out. lol Just a coincidence. It's an extremely common name in south Louisiana, and those guys were just trying to figure out if their families were acquainted.

Oh thank you! That is what I thought, but needed confirmation. :blowkiss:

The remains of a 27 year old woman that were found in Lake Arthur (very close to Jennings) have been identified as belonging to Lacie Fontenot.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/24610146/lake-arthur-residents-speak-out-on-body-found

The sherrif doesn't think that Lacie's murder connected to the Jennings killings.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Body-found-in-Jeff-Davis-Parish-243030961.html

I'm not so sure of that yet.

I've had no luck finding a COD for Lacie yet. I'm wondering if they are not releasing it....and if so, that really makes me wonder about whether this could be connected to the other killings...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back