NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has RT who owned the real estate company been talked to? Her Linkedin profile indicates that she is/was a missionary, even in South America. Also, definitely not too old; reasonably attractive.

Also, why would Steven have changed his Linkedin account location to "Las Vegas area?" This was discovered soon after he went missing, but has been ignored/glossed over. It clearly indicates an intent to permanently relocate to the area. Perhaps he did, but, for whatever reason, did not feel like telling his family.

PIs should be checking his SS # and run credit checks periodically. He will pop up soon enough, unless he obtained fake ID, which would be unfortunate. His former roommate probably knows who to get into contact with for fake papers.

Has RT who owned the real estate company been checked out? Her Linkedin profile indicates that she is/was a missionary, even in South America. Also, definitely not too old; reasonably attractive.

Also, why would Steven have changed his Linkedin account location to "Las Vegas area?" This was discovered soon after he went missing, but has been ignored/glossed over. It clearly indicates an intent to permanently relocate to the area. Perhaps he did, but, for whatever reason, did not feel like telling his family.

PIs should be checking his SS # and run credit checks periodically. He will pop up soon enough, unless he obtained fake ID, which would be unfortunate. His former roommate probably knows who to get into contact with for fake papers.

"Las Vegas area" is the linkedin default for St George, Utah.
We discussed it here, and a few of us even signed up and tested it.

Everything else you've suggested, has been/is being done.

Thank you Laytonian. Your work on this case has been commendable.

Was a complete, forensic workup ever done on the computer? I am talking an FBI-type deep search that can find any website ever pulled up, any IM that flashed for only a moment, any email from any secret account, etc.

I can't help but think there has to be answers on that computer.

I'm beginning to think the same thing. But even at that, it's a strange place to meet up to be whisked away in another car.

I think it's a perfect place. It's not in a retail area where you'd expect security cameras, it's hidden behind the sound wall, and it's not in front of anyone's home. It's about as good as you can get, for miles around.

I wonder if, when they reviewed the surveillance tapes, they ever really focused on the other cars passing by. Of course, the other car may never have made it to Evening Lights. It could have been waiting on Portsmouth Creek (?) and never passed within camera range at all.

Very true.
But as KC told us long ago, the family reviewed the security videos - as did the police and PI. Lots of them, looking for anything.

THANK YOU for thinking of further than "the next house up the street" ;)

Remember how, when we walked up EL, we naturally crossed the street due to the curvature -- and how short that street really is?
I think it would be an amazing coincidence for him to have only walked to one of those few homes....when there's about 250.

Thank you Laytonian. Your work on this case has been commendable.

Was a complete, forensic workup ever done on the computer? I am talking an FBI-type deep search that can find any website ever pulled up, any IM that flashed for only a moment, any email from any secret account.

I can't help but think there has to be answers on that computer.

LE subpoenaed the computer, and it was examined forensically.
Nothing was found.

I think, IF he was hiding anything, it would have been on the library computers. Remember, he didn't even have internet access at the house -- and I doubt he took his laptop to the library, when he could use theirs.

His library card would show when he logged on/off the system - but I don't think those computers were ever subpoenaed.

Thank you. I wonder if they even could subpoena those computers, being public. I guess if they could establish with certainty that he was using a certain computer at a certain time. But would LE even do it? Are they adequately engaged in this case?

Thank you. I wonder if they even could subpoena those computers, being public. I guess if they could establish with certainty that he was using a certain computer at a certain time. But would LE even do it? Are they adequately engaged in this case?

I don't know, and I've been unable to find out.
My guess is "no".

It could possibly shut down the entire internet system in the Washington County Library. MAYBE if the case heats up, but we're talking 18 months ago. The shadows of data could have been overwritten several times by now.

What is your current theory, Laytonian, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be more informed than anyone. Thank you in advance.

What is your current theory, Laytonian, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be more informed than anyone. Thank you in advance.

I'm no more informed; I've just organized a lot of information into a form that's produced no results at all.

I started out thinking he walked away, perhaps in an "inappropriate" relationship. That's not welcomed by the family, even though it's the only scenario that would result in him being alive.

Now, I believe he was a crime victim. Not because of the family's feelings.
I do not believe the perpetrator is anyone in SCA; my suspect may have links there, but I've not found them.
My suspect is not GW, either.

The remains found near Southern Highlands have not been ID'd yet.

Been looking but I am finding dead links to hear his song. Anybody have a link, or better yet the complete lyrics?

I feel that if we solve the northern Utah/ Nevada trip we will solve the Vegas trip. Too much strange stuff going on in too short of a time period for them not to be related. Steven had a purpose on the previous trip. What was it and what would the motive be for someone to harm him?

The only connection between RV and LV, that I can recall, is a girl SK knew and he had gone to her parents ranch at one time - before showing up there briefly before his disappearance. The female, AN, had been known to be in LV previously also. Saying that, I think AN and her family may have been an attempt at diversion in his leaving, as well as many other aspects that have come to light. Sacramento, etc. Things are too deliberately scattered in an attempt to confuse. To me, if you look at all this thru that light, it seems to make sense...if he chose to leave, which, I think he did. He had nothing holding him down ie: job, wife, etc. He had already separated himself from his family, physically. No reported calls or communication with family telling them he made the trip to RV....even tho, IIRC, he had talked on the phone with a family member while he was on that trip. JMO

Very true. It's not illegal to disappear

But....remember if he did get a job under his own name, he'd likely show his own SSN. That would generate a W-2 at the end of the year -- and that would have arrived at his parent's home (his official address).

Credit checks have been done; there's no activity.

From your other post:

The "interview" is just speculation; there's no proof that anyone was holding interviews that day....and if they were, where were all the other job applicants? There'd have been other vehicle traffic, strange cars on the street, etc. The videos have been reviewed, and nothing suspicious was spotted.

To me, IF he went to an SCA address, all that makes sense is that he'd been there before (maybe just the day before) and was told to come back "about noon tomorrow".

Has his social security number been run to see if its been used? Another thought if he was a victim of crime they sometimes use their victims identity including SSN. Lets say something happened and they stole his wallet a lot o times crimminals use others identities. Identity theft is a much bigger issue then people think, if I had a penny for every background check I ran that had several names, birthdates, soc numbers I would be rich. Mind you I have done background checks on a few people convicted of murder. I've also have done background checks of victims of identity theft and many times we have to have them fingerprinted, it really affects their life. If he got employment and left willingly I doubt he would give his parents address to the employer. The employer would send it to whatever address he gave them. I agree with you he had to have been there before as he seemed familiar with area somewhat and seemed to know where he was going.

LE subpoenaed the computer, and it was examined forensically.
Nothing was found.

I think, IF he was hiding anything, it would have been on the library computers. Remember, he didn't even have internet access at the house -- and I doubt he took his laptop to the library, when he could use theirs.

His library card would show when he logged on/off the system - but I don't think those computers were ever subpoenaed.

Depending on how the St. George library is set up, i.e. if they have a wireless network, he might well have taken his laptop there to use the library's internet. Our library here is set up that way and there are often a dozen people in the room with their own laptops or iPods.

believe09:
It is one of those agree to disagree moments...

I think Steven arrived in heaven before his dad and welcomed him with open arms when he arrived.

I absolutely believe that Mr. Koecher knows where his son is now. No question in my mind.

O/T, if you check out the Anthony Wayne Holland MP thread here on WS, they found his body just a few weeks ago, 21 months after he disappeared. OSBI is calling it a suicide-they found he had hidden himself in a small crawl-space cave like area and shot himself. This area was within 2 miles of where his truck and cell phone were located. Searchers and dogs had been all over the spot, and yet had never located him. As for motivation, Anthony had absolutely no obvious reason for killing himself. He was in a very sucessful place in his life. Go figure.

Not to discourage all of you, but I can still see why suicide is on the table.

I think Steven jettisoned his life completely and started again. JMVHO. And I have to assume LE is periodically doing status checks to see if anyone, or if he, is using his ID and SSN.

Welcome back!

To me, the Christmas presents left in the car, are what say "goodbye". Why buy them on Dec 12th, when he told his family he'd be home for Christmas in Bountiful on the 23rd?

But it wasn't a visitor parking place; it was actually no different than any other no-parking area in the subdivision (where people park only for short times). That's why the car was ticketed by the parking patrol.

BBM
Not sure I understand - my wife buys Christmas gifts even in the summer if she sees a bargin, or something she likes, figuring it's best to get things when it's easy to do so.

I agree that suicide is still on the table. He may have felt ashamed of his decision to commit suicide and purposefully not wanted his body to be found. People who make a decision to commit suicide are not thinking rationally and are not thinking about how their actions are going to hurt their loved ones.

I still lean toward the feeling that foul play was involved, but that's just me. If there weren't so many theories and items for discussion we wouldn't be on the 19th forum.

Laytonian, I completely respect your right to not share who your suspect is, but boy do you have me intrigued!

I'm no more informed; I've just organized a lot of information into a form that's produced no results at all.

I started out thinking he walked away, perhaps in an "inappropriate" relationship. That's not welcomed by the family, even though it's the only scenario that would result in him being alive.

Now, I believe he was a crime victim. Not because of the family's feelings.
I do not believe the perpetrator is anyone in SCA; my suspect may have links there, but I've not found them.
My suspect is not GW, either.

The remains found near Southern Highlands have not been ID'd yet.

Welcome back!

To me, the Christmas presents left in the car, are what say "goodbye". Why buy them on Dec 12th, when he told his family he'd be home for Christmas in Bountiful on the 23rd?

But it wasn't a visitor parking place; it was actually no different than any other no-parking area in the subdivision (where people park only for short times). That's why the car was ticketed by the parking patrol.

Are you saying he knew he would be walking into something to cause him to be a crime victim?

Also, thank you for your patience to all of the more seasoned sleuthers! I have tried to become acquainted with the case, but I know that me and some other newbies are rehashing theories that have already been discredited. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us and bringing us up to speed. I've done some research and read quite a few of the threads, but 19 is a lot to read!

I agree that suicide is still on the table. He may have felt ashamed of his decision to commit suicide and purposefully not wanted his body to be found. People who make a decision to commit suicide are not thinking rationally and are not thinking about how their actions are going to hurt their loved ones.

I still lean toward the feeling that foul play was involved, but that's just me. If there weren't so many theories and items for discussion we wouldn't be on the 19th forum.

Laytonian, I completely respect your right to not share who your suspect is, but boy do you have me intrigued!

I think everyone here has their own theory, or a suspect.

For me, everything's on the table.....and the only thing that keeps suicide from being at the top of my list, is the phone's travels. Why park on the outskirts of town and then go to one of the most heavily-populated areas -- and take your traceable phone with you?

BBM
Not sure I understand - my wife buys Christmas gifts even in the summer if she sees a bargin, or something she likes, figuring it's best to get things when it's easy to do so.

I also know people who do that.
But does she leave them in the back of the car, even though she went home right after purchasing them?
In St George's climate, decorative cookies would get kinda icky in a locked-up car (in the sun).
Does she use the last money available to the family, to buy them that early?

...and the biggie for me: he bought the *entire* family their gifts, not just things he found on sale in one area. Baby bibs are seldom located closely to decorated Christmas cookies.

I might be completely wrong.
But that Christmas purchase sounds like the big signal that he knew he was leaving (on his own) -- and is opposite of a crime victim scenario.

Although I lean towards him being a crime victim, there's space for him walking out of his current life.
That's the only optimistic scenario in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1