NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange case!
No mention of checking surveillance cams. Should be some around train stations -no?

One would think there were cams; however, everything I have read in media and on the FB site is that there are no cams at the train station where car was found.

You're right if the destination was NYC - I have never been but I do know you don't need a car!

I wonder why the wallet was in the garage to begin with. I wonder if he parked his car in the garage. Could be possible to set it down and forget it, otherwise makes no sense to me.

Why go from Brooklyn to Huntington then back to NYC though?

family and friends did a search today, wonder if anything was found

Just want to say that if he went on a Huntington train instead of a ronkonkoma line train, if there was no one at home to pick him up, there are taxis at Huntington station. It is done all the time.

Boy I hate to even mention this but my first thought upon hearing the wallet was left at home was that maybe he had a reason for not wanting his identification on him? Either wanting to "make a clean break", or had some kind of suicidal ideation (sorry) and didn't want to be identified right away? I hope I'm wrong, that leaving the wallet was simply an oversight, and that he will make contact with his family soon.

Maybe he was gonna meet someone. He switched off his phone, drove to the railway station and changed into the other person's car. Who, why, I don't know. Just trying to make sense of the few facts we have.

so he leaves brooklyn in his car (we assume) after lunch. His phone pings at 1:45 near Huntington, which is near home. I dont understand enough about pings...would the phone have pinged again if it traveled out of that area to another tower? or can we assume by this that the phone remained in this area until it went dead?

Boy I hate to even mention this but my first thought upon hearing the wallet was left at home was that maybe he had a reason for not wanting his identification on him? Either wanting to "make a clean break", or had some kind of suicidal ideation (sorry) and didn't want to be identified right away? I hope I'm wrong, that leaving the wallet was simply an oversight, and that he will make contact with his family soon.

not a bad theory, but in that case why go to work at all?

The latest article 6/17 from local news source News 12 (usually only available via subscription ) allows you to leave comments via Facebook. There are several comments from his wife including thanks, pleas for help, and clarifications (not sure how and if appropriate to cut and paste.)

The wife says that R.M. did NOT ride the LIRR that day, she says he hates the train and would never leave his car there (says she does not believe he left it in Deer Park where it was found.) She also says his last cell phone signal was picked up at 1:45 p.m. on Route 110 (main thoroughfare) in Huntington.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/f...ssing-man-robert-mayer-of-dix-hills-1.5499513

Looking at what I believe to be the "Deer Park LIRR station where RM's red car was found, a couple things to share for considerations. Not being familiar with LIRR system and typical stations and being from a city where all train stops are manned brick & mortar stations - I had my visual of the train station type. After Googling for the station, I realize it is significantly different than my visual. It appears to be basically an open air platform stop surrounded by a very large parking lot.

See this youtube link of a video of the parking lot (video is about parking there, not RM's case specific).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3yZ8MxDaU

On a Friday afternoon (the Friday before Father's Day) - one could expect there to be more people traffic in the lot than on a typical Friday. It is more likely that someone "saw" the red car arrive, park, or someone getting out of the car. They may not realize that they observed. Hopefully the fliers they are putting at the station and local media can help - esp since flier had pic of what the car looked like.

It could be helpful if LE released/identified where in the large lot RM's car was found.

JustyThoughts - if he drove there at 2 PM, the train station would most likely be filled with a whole lot of cars and not a lot of people. Most people who work in the city take a 7ish AM train in and arrive back in Deer Park at about 7ish PM. My car was stolen in broad daylight at a LIRR station in the 80s.

And, if he did take the train to work during rush hour, it's not likely anyone would have noticed him among the throngs of people.

Seifert79 - Wife SAYS he didn't take the train because he doesn't usually and doesn't like to. However, do we know for a FACT that he didn't take the train?

I still don't understand why, if he really did not like to leave his car at the train station, he would drive there after work and leave it there if he didn't take the train. A safer place to leave a car would be the nearby Arches mall

JustyThoughts - if he drove there at 2 PM, the train station would most likely be filled with a whole lot of cars and not a lot of people. Most people who work in the city take a 7ish AM train in and arrive back in Deer Park at about 7ish PM. My car was stolen in broad daylight at a LIRR station in the 80s.

And, if he did take the train to work during rush hour, it's not likely anyone would have noticed him among the throngs of people.

Seifert79 - Wife SAYS he didn't take the train because he doesn't usually and doesn't like to. However, do we know for a FACT that he didn't take the train?

I still don't understand why, if he really did not like to leave his car at the train station, he would drive there after work and leave it there if he didn't take the train. A safer place to leave a car would be the nearby Arches mall
http://longisland.news12.com/news/f...rt-mayer-of-dix-hills-1.5499513?firstfree=yes

According to this report, Robert's co-workers saw Robert *and* his car, at 12:30 the day he was last seen.

to which:

not a bad theory, but in that case why go to work at all?

Reminds me of the case of Curtis Aukshunas who went to work and left at lunch time and appears to sadly have jumped off the GW bridge:
http://www.onenewspage.com/n/US/74vuecrnq/Englewood-Man-Found-Dead-in-Hudson-River.htm

to which:

Reminds me of the case of Curtis Aukshunas who went to work and left at lunch time and appears to sadly have jumped off the GW bridge:
http://www.onenewspage.com/n/US/74vuecrnq/Englewood-Man-Found-Dead-in-Hudson-River.htm
Only why drive the car all the way back to Deer Park Train Station? Even if he chose to leave, for some reason, after being seen in Brooklyn at the end of his workday, (12:30pm), why drive back to Deer Park and leave the car there?

Re the BBM items:
My thinking was that there would be more peeps in the lot around 2 -3 on a Friday before a "holiday" weekend (Father's Day); folks getting off work early to leave for a trip.

He drove to work on the 14th? I am going by the media report that his co-workers reported seeing him and his car at the work site on the 14th.

I sure hope someone at the lot saw something about the red car and that seeing a missing flier will jog a memory.

so he leaves brooklyn in his car (we assume) after lunch. His phone pings at 1:45 near Huntington, which is near home. I dont understand enough about pings...would the phone have pinged again if it traveled out of that area to another tower? or can we assume by this that the phone remained in this area until it went dead?

Another WS sleuther posted a very helpful explanation of how pinging works in laymen terms on another thread.

Read here:Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased TN/NC - Holly Fischer, 39, Newport TN to Charlotte NC, 27 May 2013

snipped for space

Only why drive the car all the way back to Deer Park Train Station? Even if he chose to leave, for some reason, after being seen in Brooklyn at the end of his workday, (12:30pm), why drive back to Deer Park and leave the car there?

Like I suggested earlier, maybe he wanted to meet someone and that person was waiting at the parking lot at the train station. Once there he got into their car. This is the only explanation that makes sense to me if we take it as fact that he did not take the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox