NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original post RTBM:
I, too, wish we knew if Sylvia was actually clinically depressed-I don't know how common it was to be diagnosed that way in those days. Now, they understand it better, but then you might have been instructed to "snap out of it".

BBM

Even though mid 1970s, believe many still referred to vast majority of mental health problems, including depression, as the individual had or was having the generic "nervous breakdown."

Yeah, I think you're both right. It's not that they didn't recognize it, but they didn't understand it, and didn't know what to do about it. I think if they could pinpoint a cause for a person's depression -- IOW, a situational depression -- that was the best case scenario. Help with the problem = help with the depression. But for those who struggled with biochemical depression, forget it. It went away when it went away. And they prescribed a whole lot of valium!

IMO, Rand doesn't appear to have had any boundaries. Sure, he may have had a preference or perhaps simply easier to satisfy his desires (ie. children, a petite female, fragile child or fragile young adult.).

Given the opportunity, I think he would have snatched up a young adult female if he could get away with it.

Boy, I really agree with this. To me he seems like the walking definition of "voraciousness," the epitome of the term "predatory." The man had appetites. And he wasn't fussy about how he filled them -- except perhaps for that inclination toward "easy prey."

Boy, I really agree with this. To me he seems like the walking definition of "voraciousness," the epitome of the term "predatory." The man had appetites. And he wasn't fussy about how he filled them -- except perhaps for that inclination toward "easy prey."

Me, too. We'll never know how many victims this creep had-I really think his only "type" was any vulnerable human being.

Poking around NAMUS (above case) made me try to recall whether or not we know:

What kind of shoes was Sylvia wearing that night? Yes, brown, but platform sandals...what kind of brown shoes in early September?

Did she polish her nails and/or toenails, and if so, what colors did she paint them?

Know we will disagree here, but not a bit dressed up for simply the movie theater? No dinner plans after film at a restaurant? No stopping anywhere after film for a drink (I believe, according to MMQC).

Bit O/T...Was poking around NAMUS and bumped into this unidentified and near complete but unrecognizable skeleton found in Heckscher State Park in Suffolk, LI in April 1978. Est death within 3 years.

The point...look when it was entered into NAMUS: mid Nov 2013 though discovered in 1978.

Glass half full...something may turn up one day when we least expect it.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11774

Interesting find Epiphany- I wonder how many others are in various unidentified local catalogs/databases yet to be entered in Namus.

And this UID that you spotted is close to time frame, age, height, light brown hair (sometimes very close to dark blond), the dentals are available, and the location is not far from SI.

So with this time frame, a clavicle fracture could have happened and healed after she went missing but before she died or was was found? Or, maybe an accident in childhood, sports, fall, etc. Clavicle, like ribs usually have to heal in place on their own.

This one - I would definitely look further into the dentals...

Interesting find Epiphany- I wonder how many others are in various unidentified local catalogs/databases yet to be entered in Namus.

And this UID that you spotted is close to time frame, age, height, light brown hair (sometimes very close to dark blond), the dentals are available, and the location is not far from SI.

So with this time frame, a clavicle fracture could have happened and healed after she went missing but before she died or was was found? Or, maybe an accident in childhood, sports, fall, etc. Clavicle, like ribs usually have to heal in place on their own.

This one - I would definitely look further into the dentals...

Yeah, I had a bad break in my shoulder when young>no cast. Son very bad break upper arm near shoulder>no cast. May have been when very young like my experiences with.

Also, the other medical info re the case I posted above: need someone more knowledgeable than I to speak to!

I do believe though that medical examiner often finds medical anomalies (?) after death or upon examination of the remains that were previously unknown even to the deceased and family (even when autopsy is asked/paid to be performed by a family member).

What kind of shoes was Sylvia wearing that night? Yes, brown, but platform sandals...what kind of brown shoes in early September?

Did she polish her nails and/or toenails, and if so, what colors did she paint them?

Know we will disagree here, but not a bit dressed up for simply the movie theater? No dinner plans after film at a restaurant? No stopping anywhere after film for a drink (I believe, according to MMQC).

Bbm: Brown leather belt, if thin, could be strap from brown purse with long strap?

Bbm: Brown leather belt, if thin, could be strap from brown purse with long strap?

Or Mom and BF/F missed that she was wearing a belt.

Another question: I know we discussed in prior threads, but SL does look quite different in all 3 photos of her available.

Face much fuller in her blonde (I think no makeup) photo versus the newspaper/engagement and other photo wearing dress that wraps around neck (love that dress, by the way).

It doesn't even say if she was wearing a skirt or pants that night, I've often wondered about that part. I also wish we knew what type of shoes because there is a section on Namus that shows just articles of clothing, there was one with a wedge type shoe, brown. But we don't know if she was wearing heels, or flats or wedge type shoes, none of that type of searching really helps.

It doesn't even say if she was wearing a skirt or pants that night, I've often wondered about that part. I also wish we knew what type of shoes because there is a section on Namus that shows just articles of clothing, there was one with a wedge type show, brown. But if we don't know if she was wearing heels, or flats or wedge type shoes, none of that type of searching really helps.

Maybe "white sweater" and "green shirt" as NAMUS states. But BF/F would have stated even if SL's Mother was unsure whether SL left wearing skirt or pants.

Why not correct on NAMUS, then?

Grumble...

I believe more than my Mother would have noticed re clothing I was wearing.

EL was an interesting and intelligent woman and mother, IMO.

Or Mom and BF/F missed that she was wearing a belt.

Another question: I know we discussed in prior threads, but SL does look quite different in all 3 photos of her available.

Face much fuller in her blonde (I think no makeup) photo versus the newspaper/engagement and other photo wearing dress that wraps around neck (love that dress, by the way).

I think there's a bit of the lens angle thing going on with the photos - To me, out of the three, she looks most different in the newspaper photo (much different). And I agree, she looks thinner in the one with the green top (top looks like it could be a 70's Halston - yes beautiful).

Just curious, what do you think the photo differences suggest?

It doesn't even say if she was wearing a skirt or pants that night, I've often wondered about that part. I also wish we knew what type of shoes because there is a section on Namus that shows just articles of clothing, there was one with a wedge type shoe, brown. But we don't know if she was wearing heels, or flats or wedge type shoes, none of that type of searching really helps.

I read somewhere-I think it was on the police report-that it was a white sweater and green SKIRT Sylvia was wearing, not green shirt. Let me go back to the police report and check. I wish we knew the type of shoe she had on, too.

Ok-I just looked at the police report, and in the box marked "trousers or skirt", "trousers" is crossed out, and the officer wrote "light green", so we do know, in spite of what they have on her NAMUS page, that she was wearing a light green skirt, but no description of the shoes, other than "brown"

I think there's a bit of the lens angle thing going on with the photos - To me, out of the three, she looks most different in the newspaper photo (much different). And I agree, she looks thinner in the one with the green top (top looks like it could be a 70's Halston - yes beautiful).

Just curious, what do you think the photo differences suggest?

I'd have to go back to the approximate dates of the photos which may or may not be in the threads.

I've always been slender (not skinny nor thin)...a drop of only 5 pounds is often noticeable (in the face) and may or may not be significant.

Could be the blonde/no makeup/fuller face photo is when she entered college versus the other 2 photos...maturity, etc. I dunno.

I read somewhere-I think it was on the police report-that it was a white sweater and green SKIRT Sylvia was wearing, not green shirt. Let me go back to the police report and check. I wish we knew the type of shoe she had on, too.

Yes, that's it.

Then, why not correct it on NAMUS? Damn. In that case, what's the big deal?

What size shoe (about) did she wear?

Who knows if and when that might be useful.

MMQC?

Oh I think this is a bulls eye observation. -These two went out for two years - favorite restaurants? hang outs? music spots? night clubs?

I had wondered in the beginning if they had gone out to dinner and maybe argument started there - he's driving her home - argument escalates maybe a break up...

Ok-I just looked at the police report, and in the box marked "trousers or skirt", "trousers" is crossed out, and the officer wrote "light green", so we do know, in spite of what they have on her NAMUS page, that she was wearing a light green shirt, but no description of the shoes, other than "brown"

Ohhh...so light green shirt as NAMUS states/lists?

Or was she wearing a light green SKIRT since "trousers" is crossed out on PR?

Ohhh...so light green shirt as NAMUS states/lists?

Or was she wearing a light green SKIRT since "trousers" is crossed out on PR?

No-I had a typo. It said light green skirt on the police report-no mention of a shirt.

Thanks, Moose...IF I download PR one more time...Not directed at you, but should have been corrected on NAMUS when we noted that discrepancy early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brightshelby