NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean, Rose-we don't know this girl, and yet some of us (you and me, anyway) feel this compulsion to come here and see if there is something, anything new. I don't doubt that she is dead at this point-but wouldn't it be amazing to have someone else who knew her visit this thread and shed even a little light on what may have happened to her? It's been such a long time (41 years), but come on, there has to be somebody who cared about this smart, beautiful girl. Sylvia, where are you?

I wish the family and friend would tell more of what they know, I don't feel they were telling everything. Sorry that is just how I feel. Otherwise I would be one her more often, but because of the silence I feel there will forever be a roadblock in her case. Think it has to do with pride.

"Pride"-Skeet, could you elaborate, please? This interests me...

Skeet, good to hear your thoughts.
Yes, wouldn't it be incredible to learn more...

I just find her whole case very strange. From the start I felt something big had to have happened to upset the cycle her life had previously taken. I remember when the thread first opened, I think I asked, "did she lose a job, was she pregnant", etc etc. Something that would have been a life changing event. I had questions like, why was the boyfriend not at her graduation party? Why would she be so upset that her father was showing off in front of her friends? Who were the friends at the party and why didn't the best friend excuse herself from guests as soon as she was aware her BF was missing to go look for her then? Why were pictures burned by the BF, why were holes cut out of pictures? What I am saying is that no family is perfect, I have even talked about my family in a way that states "no I am not proud of what a family member might have done but it's ok to talk about it. That is what I mean by proud. Afraid to say something about any of your loved ones that might put them in a bad light. I know there has only been one theory with the family but I think if it were me I would explore/exhaust every possibility.

Thanks for elaborating, Skeet; I think we all probably agree with you (although I really shouldn't speak for anyone else). I think there is a reason other than the usual reason for why Sylvia's brother thinks what he does about Sylvia's disappearance. I'm certain there is something specific which he either can't, or won't get into publically. I wish I knew what he and MMQC know; as it stands now, any of a number of things might have happened to her. Still, I think about the boyfriend saying they had a fight, and she disappeared immediately after. How many cases here start with a man and a woman fighting, and end up with her disappearing forever...and in which direction do most people's minds travel when this happens? Of course, it could be just some really bad luck for Sylvia that she loses both a fiance, and her life in two completely separate events. This is, unless she killed herself after the fight with her fiance, and managed to hide herself completely in the process. This possibility seems to be completely unimaginable to Sylvia's brother and best friend, but most people resist this notion as it regards to a loved one, so what are we to think?

I just find her whole case very strange. From the start I felt something big had to have happened to upset the cycle her life had previously taken. I remember when the thread first opened, I think I asked, "did she lose a job, was she pregnant", etc etc. Something that would have been a life changing event. I had questions like, why was the boyfriend not at her graduation party? Why would she be so upset that her father was showing off in front of her friends? Who were the friends at the party and why didn't the best friend excuse herself from guests as soon as she was aware her BF was missing to go look for her then? Why were pictures burned by the BF, why were holes cut out of pictures? What I am saying is that no family is perfect, I have even talked about my family in a way that states "no I am not proud of what a family member might have done but it's ok to talk about it. That is what I mean by proud. Afraid to say something about any of your loved ones that might put them in a bad light. I know there has only been one theory with the family but I think if it were me I would explore/exhaust every possibility.

Bbm: this is really true, Skeet. And the difference is every "normal family" who has deep secrets and pride which would never come to light in a normal lifetime. So, someone goes missing and there is a microscope. And there are choices under that microscope. Perhaps pride is indeed an indicator because it silences and edits. It edits good and bad choices. Whether it be long term or spontaneous. If we had more of a portrait of the situation then it would quite possibly point to a direction. Where was Sylvia in this context? Is it cut and dry? Is it more complex? This is why, like all others we wish for more answers for her... What was in Sylvia's experience? What would she say? What would she want us to know?

I guess what I wonder is was Sylvia vibrant, or meek and mild at the time of her disappearance. I know there are the elements of a firery reaction to her father but how did this translate down into her life? And there was her wedding, her engagement? You know sometimes "The other" is either the savior or the downfall. (Was her firery reaction at pool party used against her.?) Was there jealousy? What I do sense is that something big was happening. And this is not about "That night" necessarily. In fact she may have been trying to save or sever something, that night... And maybe, just maybe her family had no idea.

You know, I think youthful jealousy is different than a more mature understanding and thoughful jealousy... (Which is more lethal, imo). As I look a her bros reaction it may be an indicator of the times. --Messy!! "I knew I always didn't like him, etc." I think, or I know, there is more to it?...

I guess what I wonder is was Sylvia vibrant, or meek and mild at the time of her disappearance. I know there are the elements of a firery reaction to her father but how did this translate down into her life? And there was her wedding, her engagement? You know sometimes "The other" is either the savior or the downfall. (Was her firery reaction at pool party used against her.?) Was there jealousy? What I do sense is that something big was happening. And this is not about "That night" necessarily. In fact she may have been trying to save or sever something, that night... And maybe, just maybe her family had no idea.

I think it's entirely possible that there was much about Sylvia that her family did not know; I feel this way about my own children sometimes, in fact, there are things I don't want to know about their lives.

Could be that the engagement was winding down at the time of the party at Sylvia's, where she exploded at her father, and the subsequent date finished it off, leaving at least one of them upset enough to do something that might be against their typical nature. What that would be is anyone's guess, and only one of them made their way home that night. Some have expressed surprise at the idea that the fiance first went to MMQC's house to ask her to try to find Sylvia, and then went to Sylvia's home to talk to her parents. Could it be for the purpose of an alibi, or because he thought she might have returned there in the meantime? I wonder if he told the Lwowskis that he stopped at MMQC's house to ask her to look for Sylvia-and this is why Eva was so suspicious of her, thinking that MMQC was hiding her. Or if he didn't tell them, and if not, why not? This, we will never know.

Seems like this case could be an abduction related to the shootings of two girls in Statesville, North Carolina, very early on the morning of the sixth. (Pamela Denise Mayhew, 15, died; the other girl, 17, was raped but survived her gunshot wounds after having been critically injured by them.) The girl who survived was picked up by an elderly motorist at about 6:30am after having hidden for a while and then walking "for what seemed like hours". A strangeness is that the survivor initially described her attacker as a black man, but according to the article a white man later was tried and acquitted of the crime, and so I imagine she wasn't very sure of what he looked like. Sadly an unidentified innocent black man may have been murdered by vigilantes after the crime.

Even more likely, the case could be related to the stabbing death of Terry Cornell, 20, in Syracuse, NY. Miss Cornell was last seen alive at about 3:20am on the seventh.

I mostly think it would have been possible (but stressful) to drive from Statesville to Staten Island to Syracuse to commit all three crimes. I doubt a black man was responsible for the Lwowski or Cornell cases.

Seems like this case could be an abduction related to the shootings of two girls in Statesville, North Carolina, very early on the morning of the sixth. (Pamela Denise Mayhew, 15, died; the other girl, 17, was raped but survived her gunshot wounds after having been critically injured by them.) The girl who survived was picked up by an elderly motorist at about 6:30am after having hidden for a while and then walking "for what seemed like hours". A strangeness is that the survivor initially described her attacker as a black man, but according to the article a white man later was tried and acquitted of the crime, and so I imagine she wasn't very sure of what he looked like. Sadly an unidentified innocent black man may have been murdered by vigilantes after the crime.

Even more likely, the case could be related to the stabbing death of Terry Cornell, 20, in Syracuse, NY. Miss Cornell was last seen alive at about 3:20am on the seventh.

I mostly think it would have been possible (but stressful) to drive from Statesville to Staten Island to Syracuse to commit all three crimes. I doubt a black man was responsible for the Lwowski or Cornell cases.

Bbm: seems the very distance and disposing of a body might be an issue here with the timeline. How is someone who goes missing late evening 11:00 pm Sept 6 1975 Staten Island related to "last seen" Syracuse 3:20am Sept 7 1975?

Not saying it couldn't happen but is there any evidence to show a connection?

Bbm: seems the very distance and disposing of a body might be an issue here with the timeline. How is someone who goes missing late evening Sept 6 1975 Staten Island related to "last seen" Syracuse Sept 7 1975?

IIRC the police report says Miss Lwowski was last seen at 6pm. Still, I don't believe it was established on this board whether she vanished before the movie or afterward (I think before). Even if she saw the movie, and the movie started at, say, 6:30pm, then she probably would have been out by 9pm. (If she was seeing Jaws, that lasts 2hr 4min). At the least the perp would have had over six hours to get to Syracuse. At the most, about nine hours. Either way, there would have been time for what is now about a four and-one-half hour drive from Heartland Village, Staten Island, to Syracuse (256 miles per Google).

Miss Lwowski may have been alive, presumably restrained or stashed in the trunk, until after Terry Cornell was taken.

The drive from Statesville, NC, to Heartland Village, SI, is nowadays (per Google) nine hours (590 miles).

Happy New Year to Sylvia's nearest and dearest, and to her peeps here on Websleuths.

Maybe 2017 will be the year we find her. :praying:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member