OH - Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation, Cuyahoga Co., June 2023

A Cleveland mother is facing a murder charge, accused of leaving her 16-month-old child alone while she went on vacation, and the child died.
[snip]
The complaint says the mother was gone from June 8 to June 16, and on June 16, she found her daughter unresponsive.
Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation

WHAT?????????

Kristel Candelario is currently in jail after being charged with murder, officials say.

The mother’s bond was set at $1 million Tuesday morning.
[snip]
Candelario will be back in court June 28 for a pre-trial
Cleveland mom arrested following the death of her child

Police said the child's Pack N Play "consisted of soiled blankets and a bottom liner saturated with urine and feces," according to court records.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office hasn't said what the child's official cause of death is, but court records state she was "extremely dehydrated."
Toddler dies after being left home alone while mother goes on weeklong vacation, court docs state

This is unbelievable! No one in her family, circle of friends or co-workers inquired about the toddler before or during the trip?

i can’t help but think this was a premeditated murder. She is 31 years old so she had to know the child could not survive while she was gone, right!?!?

A Cleveland mother is facing a murder charge, accused of leaving her 16-month-old child alone while she went on vacation, and the child died.
[snip]
The complaint says the mother was gone from June 8 to June 16, and on June 16, she found her daughter unresponsive.
Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation

WHAT?????????

Kristel Candelario is currently in jail after being charged with murder, officials say.

The mother’s bond was set at $1 million Tuesday morning.
[snip]
Candelario will be back in court June 28 for a pre-trial
Cleveland mom arrested following the death of her child

Police said the child's Pack N Play "consisted of soiled blankets and a bottom liner saturated with urine and feces," according to court records.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office hasn't said what the child's official cause of death is, but court records state she was "extremely dehydrated."
Toddler dies after being left home alone while mother goes on weeklong vacation, court docs state
I really need to stop reading these reports about children. I'm sitting here crying for this sweet baby left alone. I can only imagine her confusion, hunger and pain. I'm not a hateful person but I hope this woman ROTS in prison.
I have twin boy & girl grandbabies that are the same age..........

I can hardly believe this, and I've seen everything on this forum. Did she enjoy her lovely vacation, while her baby was slowly dying a painful death, all alone?

Did mom not know the child was going to be dead when she returned or did she just not give a schitttz?

Older case but similar -- 'mother' left her baby in a closet on a military base:

Apparently 5 months pregnant when sentenced! Wonder where that child is now?

33 year sentence in 1993 -- seems she will be out soon?

Wait, she actually called 911, then admitted it to LE? Did she not think what she did was wrong? WTH? Incomprehensible :mad:
This caught my attention too. It made me wonder if there was more to the story, like she had expected someone to show up and take care of her child while she was gone? I mean, obviously I am grasping at straws here, but I can’t get my mind around the basic lack of understanding of cause and effect.

This caught my attention too. It made me wonder if there was more to the story, like she had expected someone to show up and take care of her child while she was gone? I mean, obviously I am grasping at straws here, but I can’t get my mind around the basic lack of understanding of cause and effect.
Yes, I thought of that too, but there’s been no mention of that right? Also thought she might be mentally challenged in some way? Has there been any mention of family or a father at all?

“We were absolutely heartbroken. We loved Jailyn a lot,” said Suleym.

Suleym and her mother Iris didn’t want to share their last name. They said they first met Jailyn in August 2022 when her Calendario asked if they would watch her for the weekend.

Days turned into weeks, they said, and Calendario wouldn’t pick up the phone or would “make excuses” for why she hadn’t returned to pick up Jailyn.

“I was the one calling her saying, ‘Look I need milk. I need money. I don’t have money to buy milk for your baby.’ What am I supposed to do?” Iris remembers saying.

She said it got to the point where Jailyn was calling her “mama”. They cared for her for a month and a half and watched her several more times since then.

Suleym, 13, said she loved Jailyn like a sister.

“Jailyn really didn’t deserve what happened to her. She was amazing and really adorable and I miss her a lot,” she said.

The neighbors wish Calendario would have asked them to watch Jailyn, rather than leave her home alone as court records state.
Cleveland police: 16-month-old girl dies after mother left her alone for more than a week to go on vacation

This mother apparently has a history of dumping her child off and disappearing. Wish she'd dumped her off with someone this time. At least Jailyn would still be alive.

(CNN) – A 31-year-old Cleveland mother is charged with murder after allegedly leaving her infant daughter home alone for eight days while she went on vacation.

Authorities say Kristel Candelario told them she went on vacation to Puerto Rico and Detroit from June 8 to June 16, then returned to find her daughter unresponsive on Friday.

According to the preliminary investigation, the 16-month-old child was extremely dehydrated.

A neighbor said this isn't the first time she left the baby home alone.

"We keep telling her not to leave her by herself, not just me, my friend across the street too, but she always leave her by herself,"
the neighbor said.

Neighbors said Candelario lives in the house with her two daughters and her parents. According to neighbors, her parents recently went on vacation and took Candelario's older daughter with them. "There were so many people here; she could have knocked on any of our doors and asked us to take Jailyn," said another neighbor.
Neighbors of woman accused of leaving toddler home alone heartbroken

But none of you thought to call and report that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back