OH - Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation, Cuyahoga Co., June 2023

Jailyn Calendario.

Neighbors of the mom and child told the station that Candelario had asked them to take care of Jailyn in the past and didn't understand why the suspect hadn't reached for their help again.

“Jailyn really didn’t deserve what happened to her. She was amazing and really adorable and I miss her a lot,” a 13-year-old neighbor told WKYC

18 March Sentencing

Negotiated Plea to Aggravated Murder

Trigger Warning :: Graphic Text

Sixteen (16) Month-Old Child :: Left Alone for Ten (10) Days

OSHA:

Last edited:
18 March Sentencing

OSHA:

Life term for this defendant, and the one in the UK got 9 years??

18 March Sentencing

OSHA:

That is absolutely horrific!

Kristel Candelario

An Ohio mom pleaded guilty Thursday to aggravated murder in connection with the death of her toddler, who she left alone and unattended for 10 days while she went on a vacation last summer.

Kristel Candelario, 32, entered guilty pleas for one count of aggravated murder and one count of endangering children, according to online Cuyahoga County court records. She was acquitted of two counts of murder and one count of felonious assault

“We were absolutely heartbroken. We loved Jailyn a lot,” said Suleym.

Suleym and her mother Iris didn’t want to share their last name. They said they first met Jailyn in August 2022 when her Calendario asked if they would watch her for the weekend.

Days turned into weeks, they said, and Calendario wouldn’t pick up the phone or would “make excuses” for why she hadn’t returned to pick up Jailyn.

“I was the one calling her saying, ‘Look I need milk. I need money. I don’t have money to buy milk for your baby.’ What am I supposed to do?” Iris remembers saying.

She said it got to the point where Jailyn was calling her “mama”. They cared for her for a month and a half and watched her several more times since then.

Suleym, 13, said she loved Jailyn like a sister.

“Jailyn really didn’t deserve what happened to her. She was amazing and really adorable and I miss her a lot,” she said.

The neighbors wish Calendario would have asked them to watch Jailyn, rather than leave her home alone as court records state.
Cleveland police: 16-month-old girl dies after mother left her alone for more than a week to go on vacation

This mother apparently has a history of dumping her child off and disappearing. Wish she'd dumped her off with someone this time. At least Jailyn would still be alive.
Thank you for providing these details. I clicked on so many versions of this story and had missed this part.

My son used to have a best friend whose mom would dump him on us like this. The last time was on his birthday. I didn’t know what to do. In a way I’m glad she’s found another “babysitter,” but I still worry about that kid.

There are few words I can use for this horror.

Sounds as if this beautiful little one made an impact on others, in her very short life.
The 13 year old who's family was caring for her sounds so compassionate, although the sorry excuse for a 'mother' can be glad they didn't call social services on her, but just kept caring for Jailyn !
Someone would have been happy to adopt this baby, and she could've been safely placed into foster care in the interim -- the perp had other choices.

Rest and fly with the angels, dear Jailyn !
Omo.

In one image shared three days into her daughter's 10-day fatal abandonment, she is seen smiling on a white sandy beach in sunglasses and a white shirt, which she captioned: 'The time that is enjoyed is the true time lived.'

At the same time, her 16-month-old baby lay dead in a pile of her own filth, and the Cayuhoga County medical examiner's office determined that the toddler had died of starvation and severe dehydration.

At the conclusion of her plea deal this week, prosecutors described her actions as 'one of those truly unimaginable cases that will stick with me for many years to come.'

Kristel Candelario, 32, beamed as she posed on a Puerto Rican beach in an image posted three days into her daughter's ten-day abandonment which she captioned: 'The time that is enjoyed is the true time lived'

What this story doesn't mention is the man who must have taken her to PR, and took the photo.

In similar cases I've seen before, the woman is chasing after a man who doesn't want her child. If he even knew she had a child, she probably lied to him that someone was looking after her.

Sometimes it's neglect and abandonment, sometimes it's direct murder, like Susan Smith and, allegedly, Casey Anthony.

Sadly, it happens. Biology does not pick and chose, and only give children to psychologically fit mothers.

JMO

@Cedars :
Take this article with the proverbial grain, it might answer a few questions :

She made the trips with her older daughter, and it is unclear why Candelario did not ask anyone to help her care for her child while she was traveling.
There will be mitigating issues that come up at sentencing that we will address. Hopefully, people will realize that
she is not the monster that some see her as.'

The defense attorneys said Candelario
suffered from mental health issues but refused to provide further information.
Candelario had previously worked as a building substitute at Citizen Academy Glenville, an elementary school in Cleveland.

She had been in that role since November 2022, but was fired after her arrest.
Red bolding mine.

First bolded : A bit too late for that !
Imo.

Second bolded : Had any of her issues been evident during her employment ? Or not ?
I feel it's important to know if KC functioned competently with no diagnosis of any health issues and is only now is claiming mental health medical issues ?
Possibly as in ; "I forgot I even had a baby.", or, "I thought I'd left her with someone to care for her but my memory is faulty.", etc.

Also wondering what she told her daughter, if the article is correct ?

And where is the father of Jailyn ?
Was he involved at all ?
I'm guessing maybe not, as he didn't raise the alarm, even when KC essentially left Jailyn with neighbors. :(
Omo.

A neighbor said this isn't the first time she left the baby home alone.

"We keep telling her not to leave her by herself, not just me, my friend across the street too, but she always leave her by herself,"
the neighbor said.

Neighbors said Candelario lives in the house with her two daughters and her parents. According to neighbors, her parents recently went on vacation and took Candelario's older daughter with them. "There were so many people here; she could have knocked on any of our doors and asked us to take Jailyn," said another neighbor.
Neighbors of woman accused of leaving toddler home alone heartbroken

But none of you thought to call and report that?
I know, right?!

A neighbor said this isn't the first time she left the baby home alone.

"We keep telling her not to leave her by herself, not just me, my friend across the street too, but she always leave her by herself,"
the neighbor said.

Neighbors said Candelario lives in the house with her two daughters and her parents. According to neighbors, her parents recently went on vacation and took Candelario's older daughter with them. "There were so many people here; she could have knocked on any of our doors and asked us to take Jailyn," said another neighbor.
Neighbors of woman accused of leaving toddler home alone heartbroken

But none of you thought to call and report that?
Red emphasis mine.

Wait... there were the perp's parents living there, as well as the older girl ?
They (babies' grandparents) don't have anything to say about all of this ??
Sorry I'm confused here.
Omo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn