OH - Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation, Cuyahoga Co., June 2023

Red emphasis mine.

Wait... there were the perp's parents living there, as well as the older girl ?
They (babies' grandparents) don't have anything to say about all of this ??
Sorry I'm confused here.
Omo.
my understanding is that the perp's parents and other household members were out of town when Ms. Candelario decided to take an impromtu trip of her own.

Neighbours also noted that Candelario’s parents recently went on vacation and took her older daughter with them.
Mum's holiday snaps on social media after leaving infant at home alone to die

Candelario is being sentenced today (2024-03-18). The prosecution is going over the evidence. It's brutal. They have shown the neighbor's doorbell camera as well as traffic cameras, her boarding passes from her trip, police interview, 911 call, photos of the child's crib. *warning* the doorbell camera includes audio and you can hear the child crying.

Candelerio is addressing the court and she said that her daughter and God have forgiven her. WTH. She is asking for forgiveness from her other daughter and her parents. Not a day goes by that she doesn't think of her. She prays to God that one day she will see her again.
Prior to this Canelerio's mother spoke to the court and blamed her daughter's depression. Not once did the court hear from a psychologist or a psychiatric report about the defendant's mental state.

Kristel Candelario was sentenced to LWOP. She received time for her other charges but that will run concurrently.

Prior to this Canelerio's mother spoke to the court and blamed her daughter's depression.

Then WHY did her mother leave her alone with the baby ????? I understand most don't think these things would happen but they should, when someone isn't "right" ANYTHING can happen. I say this as a grandmother who has custody of her grandchild because I didn't like how my daughter was behaving and I feared she'd remove the child out of our home. I Did not want to raise this child....but I couldn't live with myself if he was harmed in any way

Since Candelerio's parents shared a residence with her and her two children, knew of her alleged depression, why then did they take the 6 year old daughter on vacation with them but leave behind their depressed daughter and 16 month toddler at home? Why not take all with, I mean if Candelerio's depression was so pronounced as to be a mitigator to her crime?

I'm not buying it. Glad the woman received LWOP. Her baby may or may not forgive her, but the self serving nature of that statement tells me she will be going exactly where she belongs.

Kristel Candelario sentenced to life without parole in daughter's death after leaving 16-month-old girl home alone in Cleveland to go on vacation

"I am not trying to justify my actions, but nobody knew how much I was suffering and what I was going through."
I need her to cry me a river.

Kristel Candelario sentenced to life without parole in daughter's death after leaving 16-month-old girl home alone in Cleveland to go on vacation

I need her to cry me a river.
" nobody knew how much I was suffering and what I was going through". Yes, pretty hard to tell by your strolls on the beach.

81653789-13119675-Kristel_Candelario_32_beamed_as_she_posed_on_a_Puerto_Rican_beac-m-3_1708731147532.jpg

Kristel suffering in Puerto Rico :rolleyes:

I have a lingering problem accepting that BOTH grandparents and no other relatives seemed concerned about the child. I could not bear to listen to the grandmother in court rationalize the torture her granddaughter went through for days and days on end ...

I have a lingering problem accepting that BOTH grandparents and no other relatives seemed concerned about the child. I could not bear to listen to the grandmother in court rationalize the torture her granddaughter went through for days and days on end ...
Neighbors were concerned, one neighbor had the child for an extended period of time. If the family lived together they Must have known the child was being neglected. While the mother is responsible for the child, those that witness neglect need to report, step up etc.

I just watched her sentencing. IMO, she is not remorseful for what Jailyn suffered. There is some taking of accountability in her pleading guilty.
Yet, I can't imagine warning bells not going off as she packed her suitcase, planning to run off. No warning bells nor heart strings being pulled as she woke and went to bed each night of her trip, as she ate some good food, maybe something she she hadn't even ate before?
I believe her parents never held her responsible for her actions, other than caring for Jailyn. For all those days, her parents never asked to speak to Jailyn or video chat with her? Where did they think both Jailyn and mom were during the the time they vacationed? I pray for healing andnin-going support for Jailyn's sister.
*I noticed the judge said he would appoint her a lawyer. Does this state have an automatic appeal for life sentences?
Despite mom's claimed mental health issues, she had a support system right in the home. Something, many other single mothers, suffering from mental issues don't have.
Thank God Jailyn had people that loved her, and spoke for her, even if it was in death.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roller Derby
Back