GUILTY OK - Kelsey Briggs, 2, beaten to death, Meeker, 11 Oct 2005

This story just breaks my heart. Little Kelsey was so beautiful and had such a sweet smile. In every picture I've seen of her she is smiling and seemed so happy. Who would have guessed that she was living a nightmare of abuse.

I thought that most of the pictures of Kelsey were taken when she was with her dad and gramma. She was always dressed so cute and seemed so happy. That picture of her looking up at her dad and him looking down at her just rips my heart out. What a beautiful picture of the two of them. Love just shines between them.

I'm glad that the mother got 27 years in prison. She won't be received well. She doesn't deserve to raise her baby boy. She might have met another loser and let him beat the baby to death and rape it while she turns a blind eye. She has to pay for what she allowed to happen to Kelsey. She knew those "accidents" weren't accidents yet she didn't say a word but lie about it. Who knows, maybe Kelsey put a crimp in her life after she met her loser husband. Justice has been served in a part of the case...now lets hope the husband gets LWOP.

Great news. I so wish that this whole thing never happened in the first place. This one haunts me.

None of the links work to any photos of Kelsey. I wanted to see them. I guess the links are too old. I couldn't get her site to load, justiceforkelseybriggs.org.

Can anybody post the pics here so we can see them, I want to see her pretty face. Also the pic discussed with the mother and child.

TIA.

Try this link to the photo page at her site. She's so beautiful and the love between her and her dad is so evident. It's painful to look at these, especially the one with her and her dad in his fatigues.

Kelsey Briggs

Michael Porter wasn't the only abuser. The mother abused Kelsey too. Both of them did. i'm not positive she wasn't the main one either. On kelsey's site i think the trial link is there. I haven't read it nor know if it gives gavel to gavel coverage so I don't have alot of evidence to base this opinion on other than there is no way this mother wasn't involved.

It was too long a drawn out process. Now if a boyfriend/step father did it in a spur of the moment event, then she wouldn't have known. You can't be with someone 24/7, see them daily and not reconize changes in them.

I never did see the bruised pics of kelsey, any of the mother or step father. I would like to see them too.

Her website is very nice and informative. Haven't read it all though.

This case breaks my heart. :( What a beautiful little angel Kelsy is. :angel:

I'm happy to hear that the so called "mother" has been sentenced. Can't wait to hear that the man is sentenced also. :furious: :furious:

I agree that the mother was an abuser too. If she wasn't then she was very aware of what the husband was doing to Kelsey. I would imagine it was both of them though. The abuse and death of this little girl has really gotten to me. Just like baby Dean Springstube who was hung by a noose in his crib and his mother beaten to death and strangled. Both cases are heartbreaking.

This case breaks my heart. :( What a beautiful little angel Kelsy is. :angel:

I'm happy to hear that the so called "mother" has been sentenced. Can't wait to hear that the man is sentenced also. :furious: :furious:
Porter initially was charged with sexual assault and first-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to enabling child abuse and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Porter testified last week that he believed Smith was responsible for the girl's death.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289849,00.html

Lots of links to news clips, etc. Very nice site.

JusticeForKelseyBriggs.org

... Michael Porter, the stepfather, was arrested Thursday morning on October 20, 2005 for the death of his two-year-old stepdaughter, Kelsey. The bond has been set for $1 million after he pleads not guilty in court on October 21, 2005, Friday morning to charges that he killed the toddler, Kelsey Briggs. The judge in the case has issued a gag order for everyone in the case. However, later on Michael Porter bond was reduced from one million dollar to 250,000 bond and was able to bond out of jail, his next court date is in April 21st of 2006. The Stepfather stands accused of striking the little girl in the abdomen earlier in the week causing blunt force trauma and inflicting deadly wounds....

The little girl was described as having significant bleeding in her intestines and bruising on her ribs, the front of her chest, side and back...

oh god why do these things happen??!! . this breaks my heart!! .that poor little angel...

I wonder if sometimes it isn't best to take matters into your own hands. Kelsey's grandparents did everything possible to save their granddaughter. We are taught to follow the rules and laws...but just who are these rules and laws protecting? So now a child is dead...and the mother and stepfather will probably be punished. But folks, at least they still have their lives - Kelsey doesn't. It just isn't fair.

We all know what a mess CPS and DHS is in about every state. Their goal is to get kids back with their parents regardless of the threat to the child's life.

I think there is a time that grandparents and the parent without custody like dad's with joint custody or visitation should just take the child and run. If Kelsey's daddy had been home maybe he would have taken her and disappeared. It would have saved her life whether the law agreed or not. There are several dead children that would still be alive if a relative would have had the courage to just take them and run as they were aware of what was going on in their poor little lives. Our judicial system is a mess and I doubt that it is going to get any better any time soon. Think of the judge that handed little Kelsey right back to her mom and stepdad and he said to do it that day. Didn't he read the medical reports on that beautiful little girl. Glad he isn't on the bench any longer. Charges should have been filed against him along with the mom and stepdad. Yes, sometimes a person just has to decide what is best for a child and then do it regardless of what the law says.
If one of my kids was abusing one of my grandchildren I wouldn't think twice about going and taking my grandchild. I would dare my kid to try and stop me.

This link has a picture of Kelsey with what appears to be a bruise on her cheek. Poor little baby, and her website just breaks my heart.

Kelsey's Case Focuses New Attention On Child Abuse In Oklahoma

I see that bruise on that baby's face. Looking at her pictures just breaks my heart. That article says that a DHS worker was at Kelsey's house two hours before she died!!! That little girl should never have been given back to her mom and stepdad. I don't blame Kelsey's dad for filing suit against DHS and he should file one against that judge too. He is the one that said to give Kelsey back and do it NOW! Seems like everyone failed little Kelsey. Her dad and stepmom should have been raising that baby. Now she is gone and nothing can bring her back.

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's the mother's family website
Only thing there is a picture and a not so nice statement by Kelsey's mother.

I cried for this little baby reading this, how could they let her go back, I hope the father wins and shows them how messed up the system really is. I saw a move on Lifetime once about and underground group that helps people kidnap there own children who are being abused, I wish this family had found them and got help to run away with her. I would if it was my child or grandchild.

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's the mother's family website
Only thing there is a picture and a not so nice statement by Kelsey's mother.
The statement bothers me to no end. If nothing else, she should understand the anger and grief of the father's side of the family.

One comment on that site:

ED Says:
February 20th, 2007 at 9:14 pm
Where are any pictures after Raye took custody back of Kelsey? Are there none because you don’t want to show the world her battered body? Prove me wrong.

Other posts then go on to say that she didn't have a battered body; all children get bruises, etc. I suppose some do - mine have had many ... none on their faces like that though.

The statement bothers me to no end. If nothing else, she should understand the anger and grief of the father's side of the family.

One comment on that site:

ED Says:
February 20th, 2007 at 9:14 pm
Where are any pictures after Raye took custody back of Kelsey? Are there none because you don’t want to show the world her battered body? Prove me wrong.

Other posts then go on to say that she didn't have a battered body; all children get bruises, etc. I suppose some do - mine have had many ... none on their faces like that though.

I'll bet your children never had both legs broken and in casts either. That whole family makes me sick. In my opinion they protest to much. They need to look at the facts. Those are what matter. I'll bet the members of Kelsey's jury will have nightmares for years to come after looking at the pictures of that baby after she died. I'm so glad her mother didn't get away with the abuse or at the least...ignoring it. That's some love for your child when you allow her to be beaten to death and abused in every possible way before her death. Probably another woman that didn't think she could live without a man and so she just let him abuse Kelsey instead of kicking his butt out. I think she was abusive too though. They are both exactly where they should be.

Kelsey's Purpose

A site created for Kelsey by her paternal grandparent.

"My granddaughter Kelsey was born after her parents were divorced. I wondered why this child would be put on this earth after the two people who were not meant to be together had already gone their separate ways. I knew she had a purpose, but what could it be?

When my son was called to active duty and sent to Iraq I was sure that I knew. God was giving Kelsey to us because her father was not coming home.

I was wrong. Kelsey was the one who did not make it. She died just days before her dad was to return. After nine months of abuse, she joined the other little angels in Heaven. It was then that I knew her purpose...

She was put here to make a difference - to make sure other children are protected."

oudaily.com - Group gathers to raise child abuse awareness

... The Kelsey’s Purpose Program, founded by grandmother Kathie Briggs, is in memory of the 2-year-old Meeker Oklahoma toddler, Kelsey Briggs, who died as a direct result of child abuse on Oct. 11, 2005.

The program currently has over 950 registered members in Oklahoma, the United States and countries around the world, according to a press release.

Members provide support and encouragement to families by organizing different events and rallies...

Kelsey’s stepfather, Michael Lee Porter, was charged with first-degree murder, and her mother, Raye Dawn Porter, has been charged with enabling child abuse and child neglect, according to Lincoln County District court records...

this makes me incredibly sad and numb.
That poor little girl :(

I just can't stop thinking about her. Look at the picture in this link of her leaning on her Daddy's legs with her face in her hands. What a beautiful, beautiful child. My heart truly aches for her. Kelsey's Law is too late for Kelsey. :( :( :(

KSBI-TV - Home - Senate Approves Kelsey's Law

The bill would significantly reform the way courts and the state Department of Human Services handle cases related to child abuse and neglect...

The bill would give DHS and judges the authority to request investigative resources from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Additionally, the measure would establish stronger review procedures allowing for greater input by those acting as advocates for a child’s safety, health and welfare. Under the legislation, Court Appointed Special Advocates would also be required to meet national training standards...

Oh my God ... :(
KelseyandDad.jpg

This is so heartbreaking.
That picture is just so adorable with her daddy.
I don't understand how people can hurt their own children!!!
Makes me so mad and so sad.

God bless little Kelsey. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen