PA PA - Ranee Gregor, 15, Robinson Township, 21 Oct 1977

pghlady said:
There are alot of victims from pa. beaver co and ohio this man is involved in. one lived in moon twp.her name was donna she had a husband and 2 kids.
PGHLADY, Please post any information that you have about these cases, such as names, dates, locations... I am interested.

Hollow said:
I posted a link for missing in Pennsylvania on the " Barbara Rowan" thread, there are indeed a lot of girls of the same age missing in the years right before and following the disappearance of Ranee. Also I found these four girls all shooting victims. Debra Jean Delozier (found in the Tinicum Marsh), Denise Seaman 17 (found in the Tinicum Marsh), Mary Ann Lees 15 (found in the Schuykill river) and Layne Dorothy Spicer 16 (found in the Schuykill river). These girls were all found around 1975 I believe and also there was another girl that was never found Elizibeth Landie. Her boyfriend Robert T. Nauss was actually convicted of her murder but they never found her body. Police back then seemed to be connecting all of these deaths as well as some of the missing girl cases (Wendy Eaton, Edna Christine Thorne) to the Warlock Motorcycle gang, although I'm not really buying into that theory. Nauss, at the time he was convicted was the ex-president of the gang. There was mention of a few other members in connection also, but no one was ever convicted for these murders that I have found.
I also found an article saying that police had connected 4 of the deaths debra, Dorothy, Denise and Mary as being done by the same weapon. They were all shot in the head.

There were actually several murders that occured in the area that started around 1976. One common theory was that a police officer was involved. Women would be taken from their car or home and found nearby. I have meant to fully investigate these cases to look for a connection. I strongly believe that a serial killer was operating in Western Pa but eventually moved away. Some cases that I feel could be connected with Ranees are Susan Rush, Brenda Lee Ritter, Barbara Jean Lewis, Roberta Ann Elam, Edna Thorne, and Cheryl Iacovone.

I would also like more information on Edward Surrat. This guy is an obvious dangerous predator to women and LE should be working hard to discover his victims.

Pghlady, I am so sorry for your loss and want you to know that people on this board are here to help you!

Hi Pghlady,

I looked at Ranee's picture and she sure was a beautiful girl. I am glad you are here but terribly sorry we have to meet under these circumstances. I have tried to put together some info on Edward Surratt for you... it may all be something you already know but here it is... just incase.

Edward Surratt: was an ex-Marine and Army soldier who served 4 terms in Vietnam, at one time worked for a trucking firm in Charlotte, N.C. but was from Aliquippa, PA. He was finally caught in St. Augustine, Fla., and charged with raping a teenager and her mother.

Killings that Surratt has been charged with but not tried in are:
The murder of John Shelkons 46 and the aggravated assault of his wife. Kathern in their Baden, Pa. home. The charges were filed by the state police, Surratt confessed to the murder on tape.

The beating death of Katherine Flicky a 80-year-old widow whose nude body was found in the bathroom of her home near Youngstown, Ohio.

The slaying of Luther Langford 66 and the baseball bat beating of his 58-year old wife Nell in West Columbia. S.C.

The murder of William E. Adams 31 shot to death in his trailer home. His wife Nancy 29 is still missing.

Police have also question Surratt in connection with the following murders:

The shotgun slayings of Guy Mills 64 his wife Laura 65 Breezewood Pa.
Joel M. Drueger 36 in Breezewood. Pa.

The beating deaths of paraplegic Joseph Weinman 30 and his 30-year-old wife Katherine in Marshall Township.

The shotgun killing of Richard Hyde of Moon Township. Hyde's wife Donna, was bludgeoned to death and her body was found two miles awav.

The shooting death of Frank Ziegler 23 of Kittanning who was gunned down in his tanker truck in Marshall Towhship.

The Oct. 22, 1977, slaying of John Feeny, 17, who was shot to death on a lover's lane in Findlay Township, near the Greater Pittsburgh airport. His girlfriend, Ranee Gregor, 16, was apparently abducted and presumed killed but her body has never found.

Surratt has also been questioned concerning other murders in the Pittsburgh area but no evidence could be linked to him in the cases but he is still the prime suspect.

The best evidence against Edward Surratt is in the June lst, 1977 baseball bat murder of Luther Langford of West Columbia, S.C. This will be the best hope of conviction. But it is unlikely he will ever be released from the Florida Prison.

Edward Surratt’s DNA was taken to compare with DNA evidence in numerous cases. As of June 1, 1979 I can find no other information concerning the outcome of the DNA testing.

Another possible suspect in Ranee’s death is: Kenneth G. Taylor, 37 of Beaver Township PA. he was charged with the murder, armed robbery, auto theft and two traffic violations in connection with the fatal shooting of David Willie, 36, of Nashville. He led LE to David Willie's body after he was stopped for traffic violations. This man claims to have killed numerous people, 12 in PA, 2 in Ohio on the way to Nashville and 3 in the Nashville area. He also claimed to have killed a man at the Tennessee Welcome center on Interstate 65 in Robertson County. I could find no other info on this man. He was interviewed by LE from several states but only gave general answers to their questions… he was not taken too seriously. I don’t think he is a likely suspect but worth mentioning… I think he was known to have mental problems.

Yaya said:
... Killings that Surratt has been charged with but not tried in are:
The murder of John Shelkons 46 ...

The beating death of Katherine Flicky ...

The slaying of Luther Langford 66 and the baseball bat beating of his 58-year old wife Nell in West Columbia. S.C.

The murder of William E. Adams 31 shot to death in his trailer home. His wife Nancy 29 is still missing.

Police have also question Surratt in connection with the following murders:

The shotgun slayings of Guy Mills 64 his wife Laura 65 Breezewood Pa.
Joel M. Drueger 36 in Breezewood. Pa.

The beating deaths of paraplegic Joseph Weinman 30 and his 30-year-old wife Katherine in Marshall Township.

The shotgun killing of Richard Hyde of Moon Township. Hyde's wife Donna, was bludgeoned to death and her body was found two miles awav.

The shooting death of Frank Ziegler 23 of Kittanning who was gunned down in his tanker truck in Marshall Towhship. ...
What are the dates of these mentioned murders? I notice that murders of couples seem to often involve the quick murder of the man and the more drawn out murder of the woman.

There is also a 1976 case of the double murder of two hitchhikers (possibly brother and sister), believed by some to have been killed by an unknown trucker in South Carolina. Both of the victims are unknown and there is a thread on them here in cold cases.

I wonder if there might be a connection between that murder and some of these. Although there wasn't much forensic evidence, there were bullets obtained that might be compared with any bullets found in these PA murders.

I read an old article last night that police had stated they had also found by John Feeny's (Ranee's boyfriend) van a copy of the book "The Green Eyed Monster". It said it was a book dealing with the subject of jealosy as a mental illness. They fail to tell who the author of this book was and when it was published. PGHLADY, do you know anything about this or if Ranee was likely the owner of this book?
Also I read that Feeny was killed by a single shotgun blast to the neck. Police, at the time were connecting it to others at the time, some already mentioned above.

December 8th 1977, Moon Township, Pittsburgh PA
Richard and Donna Hyde
Richard killed by single shotgun blast to abdomen
Donna abducted and beat to death by a blunt instrument, body found along Flaugherty run rd.

November 20th, 1977 Fallston, PA
William E. and Nancy Adams
William killed by shotgun blast to the chest
Nancy still missing

September 30th 1977, Marshall Township, Allegheny County
Joseph and Kathy Weinman
Joseph, a parapalegic, and his wife Kathy were beaten to death in their home. Coroner Cyril H. Wecht said Kathy was raped and subjected to sadism, threats, and torture.

September 20th 1977, Lima, Ohio
David and Linda Hamilton
David Hamilton shot 3 times in the head
wife Linda still missing
killer used 38 caliber revolver

September 27th, 1977 Kittaning, armstrong County
Frank Zeigler
found in his tanker truck shot 3 times in the head with a 38 caliber revolver.

Police also mention in the articles I found that three women, ranging in age, from 17-21 had been abducted, sexually assaulted and strangled with their own clothing within a fifty mile radius of Washington, PA from November 1976 on. A fourth woman had been found beaten, she had also been raped. I will try to get more information on these. Has anyone looked at PA maps to see how close all of these events mentioned on this thread took place? I did, and it's all in the same portion of PA.

I wonder if Frank Zeigler had a lady with him in his truck, just out of curiosity. All these other cases had women abducted from the scenes.

Hollow said:
I wonder if Frank Zeigler had a lady with him in his truck, just out of curiosity. All these other cases had women abducted from the scenes.
Hollow,
I think this is an excellent point. It would not be unusual for a trucker to have picked up a lady of the evening (not that all do). She could have been in the truck with him and no one would have known. His family or his employer would not have reported anyone should have been with him.

Yaya said:
Hollow,
I think this is an excellent point. It would not be unusual for a trucker to have picked up a lady of the evening (not that all do). She could have been in the truck with him and no one would have known. His family or his employer would not have reported anyone should have been with him.
That's excactly what I was thinkin, YaYa

Richard said:
What are the dates of these mentioned murders?
Richard I will post these dates ASAP. I am not feeling so good, think maybe I should lie down.

Or maybe if Hollow doesn't mind he/she will post those for you.

Yaya said:
Richard I will post these dates ASAP. I am not feeling so good.

Or maybe if Hollow doesn't mind he/she will post those for you.
I thought I already did. LOL!!!:waitasec:

Surrat Crime Dates

January 7th 1977
Baden, PA
John shelkons and wife
John killed from single shotgun blast to chest
wife severely beaten

March 27th, 1978
Boardman, OH
Katherine Filicky, 70 year-old widow beaten

June 1st, 1978
West Columbia, South Carolina
Luther and Nell Langford
both severely beaten with baseball bat, Nell survived

Surrat was also charged in Florida with holding a St. Augustine family hostage and raping a woman and her 17-year old daughter on July 1st, 1978 and with holding a Vilano Beach family hostage and raping a woman and her 18-year old daughter on July 5th 1978.

Also, the murdered young women ages 17-21 that police had thought to connect to Surrat that I had mentioned in an earlier post, was only because another killer was at work in that area, at the time. His name was David Robert Kennedy and he was convicted for the murder of deborah Jeanette Capiola, 17 of Findlay, PA in 2000 by DNA. She had been on her way to the school bus stop on St Patricks Day, 1977, her body was found 10 days later in an abandoned strip mine. She'd been raped and strangled with her jeans. Her body was found in Imperial, PA , Allegheny County. The only reason police were connecting this to Surrat was because one of the surviving wives of Surrat crimes said the composite drawing they had released of a man seen in the area of one of the abductions/clothes stranglings looked just like the man who killed her husband. I have newspaper photos of Kennedy and Surrat and they could pass for twins. No lie. Here are two more clothes/stranglinging victims that were never connected to Kennedy yet or solved:

May 18th 1977, North Sebane, PA
Brenda Ritter
18 year old secretary
Dropped off boyfriend, he made sure her car doors were locked.Body found deep in the woods, her clothes 50 feet away, her car 3 quarters of a mile away from the murder site. She was strangled by her panties wrapped around her neck and twisted with a stick.

Nov 1976, Charleroi, PA
Susan Rush, 21 year old cashier
Found in the trunk of her parents car that she was driving.
She'd left work from G.C. Murphy Store in the Washington Mall Shopping Center. She was raped and strangled with her shoestring.

Another murder was thought to be connected at the time was Mary Irene Gency, Fallowfield Township, North Charleroi. she was said to have been last seen getting in a car with a suspect who was later charged and then charges were dropped due to no evidence. Her body was found a week after she was last seen in desolate woods raped and clubbed to death. Personally, I don't think Kennedy did this one. Mary was last seen Feb. 13th, 1977.
One other case the police had thought possibly tied into all of these was the murder of Barbara Jean Lewis in November 1976 from Penn Hills PA. Her body was found in Churchill PA, Allegheny County. Raped and strangled.

1977 -78 Boardman Ohio and other towns trying to solve recent murders attributed to a serial killer.march 27 1978 corporal Harry Husk made a traffic stop on a green buick crusing us rt 224. Husk cited the man. Edward Surratt, for a small traffic violation. Surratt was on his way, but his business in boardman was anything but routine. he was on a killing mission, the tenth one so far as authorities can piece together.The article goes on about how he prowled hitchcock rd and glenwood ave began breaking into houses beat a 70 year old widow catherine Ficky to death with a frying pan and drove back to his home in Aliquippa,Pa. When police vacuumed the crime scene, they found a few hairs from a black man. Never found anything until the Pa authorities asked if boardman had any unsolved murders. the evidence that linked Surratt to the crime was the traffic ticket Surratts wife turned over to the FBI.By that time he was already in jail in Florida so they didn't think it was worth it trying a man who was sentenced to life. the closed the case in 1991. The thing is so many familys don't have answers.
The Florida prison web site. Yes that is the man. If you read he escaped from there and was found in S.C. Polk co. This man is very, very evil.
Ther was a girl named Debbie Capiola of Findlay Twp. who dissappeared 10 days befor Ranee. Recently the cold case dept of Washington Co. solved her case. There is a story in the Allegheny Times paper. Beaver County Times. Monday,March 22, 1999 read it an it will tell you alot about the case . Ranees case i know they found pop can, paper cups,bullet caseing, alot of cig butts outside the van.They said at the time they had something they would not tell anyone because only the person who did it would know. They won't even give missing and exploted persons any information. I'm trying to to get help to have her files released. I tried to get alleghney co to let wasington co police review Ranees case and they wouldnot give it to them.

there are other papers that tell some of Surratts victims in Pa. march 21,1999 and march 23, 1999. Beaver county times

pghlady said:
there are other papers that tell some of Surratts victims in Pa. march 21,1999 and march 23, 1999
PGHLADY, did you read my question about the book found at John Feeny's murder site?? Do you think it was likely that it belonged to John or Ranee?

Names of unsolved murders linked to Surratt.
sept,20 1977 david a. Hamilton,28 and his wife Linda,28. David was shot in his house in beaver township, Ohio home with a .38-caliber handgun. Linda was never found
Sept. 27,1977 Frank Ziegler,28 of kittanning. Ziegler a driver for taylor milk co. in ambridge, was shot along warrendale-bayne rd. in marshall twp. with the same caliber handgun that killed David Hamilton
Sept.30,1977 joesph Weinman 30, and his wife,Katherine 28. Joseph was a paraplegic and was beaten to death in his secluded single story marshall twp. home.Katherine wasbeaten raped and stabbed to death.
Oct.21,1977 John Feeny 17 of coraopolis and Ranee Gregor,15 of robinson twp. Feeny was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun in his van parked near the airport in findlay twp. Ranee was never found.
Nov.10 1977 john j. Davis 64, and his wife, Mary,61 Both were shot with a 12 gaude shotgun and set afire in ther secluded single-story home. Mary was left in a position that indicated sexual assault, but her condition left police unable to make a determination
Nov.20,1977 William Adams,31 and his wife Nancy,29. Willeam was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun in fallston mobil home. Nancy's remains were found in bradys run park in 1985
Dec.3,1977 richard Hyde,34 and his wife Donna,34. richard was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun in there home in moon twp. police found Donna two days later in a nearby wooded area, partially nude and beaten to death.
Dec.31,1977 Guy Mills,64 and his wife, Laura,65 and Joel M Drueger,36. the millses were shot with a 12 gauge shotgun in there home in Brezewood in bedford co. and Druegar was found shot to death in his vehicle with the same weapon at a nearby rest stop.
Jan. 7, 1978 John J. Shelkons, 56 and his wife Catherine,48 John was shot with a12 gauge shotgun in his Baden home Kay was severely beaten, but survived. Her attacker likely fled when he heard her daughter returning home.
he escaped an on his way south june 1 1978 south carolina Luther Langford 66, and his wife Neil, 58 were attacked in there home in columbia, s.c. Luther was beaten to death Neil was beaten, raped and left for dead, but she surived
July 1 1978 in St. John's co. Florida wife and teen daughter were repeatedly raped by Surratt in front of bound husband. when Surratt drunk and on drugs fell asleep, the husband escaped, and police caught him in the house.
Sept20,1978 in Florida Surratt was convicted by a jury on three charges of sexual battery and one charge of burglary. he was sentenced to two life sentences and 100 year sentences to run consecutively. he escaped once from the prison he is in and went to south carolina and was caught there in polk county.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back