PA PA - Ranee Gregor, 15, Robinson Township, 21 Oct 1977

About the book, I remember the police asking me about that and i wasn't sure if it was hers or not. At the time I was having problems with her dad and thought maybe she was reading it, but never looked into what the book was really about. I was very confused then.Had alot to deal with but am going to see if i can find out anything.As i talk about things I remember more. Like a few weeks befor that happened a man in a green car had followed Ranee home from school and i called the police and reproted it. They did a stake out to see if they could see the car again but nothing came of it. They only did it one time.Looking back i wonder if it was him. We lived very close to the school. One block to the entrance so she sometimes walked.

Hollow said:
I thought I already did. LOL!!!:waitasec:
Sorry about that Hollow... I said I wasn't feeling good :D I don't know how I missed those dates... yes I do... a fever and coughing my head off. If I wasn't so addicted to this site I would be in bed right now. :eek:

Yaya said:
Sorry about that Hollow... I said I wasn't feeling good :D I don't know how I missed those dates... yes I do... a fever and coughing my head off. If I wasn't so addicted to this site I would be in bed right now. :eek:
I'm addicted too Ya Ya , Hope you feel better soon!!!

I did not yet do a thorough search.
You may already have these links but here they are just in case they help:
Edward Surratt

Stalking the Strangler
http://www.post-gazette.com/neigh_washington/20030928wacover0928p1.asp

Opinions and PCAs Released the Week of August 2, 2004
PCAS (6th from the bottom of page)
5D04-2290 Edward Surratt v. State
http://www.5dca.org/Opinions/Opin2004/080204/filings080204.htm

Darkside article
http://www.planethuff.com/darkside/archives/001147.html

Looking for links in a dozen deaths
Police need more than just similarities to determine if a serial killer has been targeting city prostitutes since the '80s
Sunday, October 24, 1999 . . .
http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19991024serial4.asp

Edited to add:I added the bold below:
. . .If 1977 seemed mundane, 1978 was an intense year for police investigation as Boardman was linked with countless other towns trying to solve recent murders attributed to a serial killer. On 27 March, 1978, Corporal Harry Husk made a routine traffic stop on a green Buick cruising US Route 224. Husk cited the man, Edward Surratt, for a small traffic violation. Surratt was soon on his way, but his business in Boardman was anything but routine. He was on a killing mission, the tenth one as far as authorities can now piece together

Surratt was looking for a quiet area to prowl, finding Hitchcock Road the perfect area. He parked his car at a church on Glenwood Avenue, walked through the woods between the two roads, and began breaking into houses on Hitchcock Road. Finding no one home in the first three, he broke into the last house in the row of four. Then he beat to death 70-year-old widow, Catherine Flicky, with a frying pan, and drove back to his home in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania (DeLauter 1999, n.p.). . .
http://www.boardmantwp.com/police/police_abad_history.asp

I found a book published in 1968 called " The Green Eyed Monster" by Arthur H. Stockwell. I'd sure like to know if this book was left at this scene as sort of a clue as to why this murder/abduction happened or if it belonged to one of the teens and just got inadvertantly knocked out of the van. I read an article last night about the search for Ranee afterwards and the police said if she was in the area around where the van was found that they would have found her, I guess it was quite an extensive search. Weren't most of the women that Surrat abducted found pretty close to where they were taken??? I'll have to read back.

Usher737 said:
Jenn, what is Edna's last name? I can't seem to find information about her case. Also, is Cheryl Iacovone the one that you are referring to?

I am trying to put together a complete list of possible vicitims from this area from the lates 70s.
Hey, how's that list going usher????

Usher737 said:
There were actually several murders that occured in the area that started around 1976. One common theory was that a police officer was involved. Women would be taken from their car or home and found nearby. I have meant to fully investigate these cases to look for a connection. I strongly believe that a serial killer was operating in Western Pa but eventually moved away. Some cases that I feel could be connected with Ranees are Susan Rush, Brenda Lee Ritter, Barbara Jean Lewis, Roberta Ann Elam, Edna Thorne, and Cheryl Iacovone.

I would also like more information on Edward Surrat. This guy is an obvious dangerous predator to women and LE should be working hard to discover his victims.

Pghlady, I am so sorry for your loss and want you to know that people on this board are here to help you!
I have read in several articles that the police were tying Roberta Ann Elam into this areas little problem with disappearances and deaths. I haven't made the connection myself though I have read about the case. Does anyone know why???

The Gettysburg Times
Thursday July 6th, 1978
Gettysburg, PA

PITTSBURGH (AP) Allegheny County Sheriff Eugene Coon says he and several other law enforcement officials from Western Pennsylvania will travel to question Edward A. Surratt, 36, in connection with a series of local killings.
Surrat, an unemployed truck driver from Aliquippa, was taken into custody Sunday in St. Augustine, FLA charged with 10 counts of sexual battery in an attack on a family.

Surrat also has been charged with the March 28 murder of Katherine Filicky, 70, of Boardman Township near Youngstown Ohio.
In addition, Columbia S.C. authorities say they'll try to extradite Surratt to prosecute him for the slaying of Luther Langford, 62, of West Columbia. Langford was killed and his wife was seriously injured when they were beaten with a baseball bat.
"What's important right now is that all the jurisdictions understand what direction the prosecution plans to take. Plus who wants to be responsible for handling evidence in future cases." said Coon.

Nearly 40 violent deaths in Southwestern Pennsylvania over the last two years remain unsolved, but authorities say they want to question Surratt on only a few of them.
"The Adams case and the Shelkons case" said Beaver County Detective Townsend Smith, referring to two shotgun slayings in that area.
Steelworker John Shelkons, 54, was shot to death in his Baden home early this year and his wife Kathryn, 48, was beaten and left for dead.
Less than a mile away, William Adams, 31, was killed with a shotgun Nov. 20 at his Fallston Borough mobile home, his wife Nancy is still missing.

Pennsylvania police almost apprehended Surratt a few days after the West Columbia killing when they staked out Langford's car in an Aliquippa parking lot, but Surratt jumped down a steep embankment and escaped, police said.
Williams said Surratt was arrested after he allegedly tied up a suburban St. Augustine man and then raped his wife and daughter.
The arrest was made after the man broke his bonds and phoned authorities while his family's attacker slept.
Surratt was charged with 10 counts of sexual battery, a count of burglary and a gun law violation in last weekends attack.

I know the above article I posted was an old one, but I thought it was a good one. I hope they hailed that Suburban Husband and father as a hero for taking this idiot off the radar.

Hi Hollow, I am still working on the list. It seems you are finding the same good articles as me. So far it looks like sloppy police work. Some of these suspects should have been investigated more. I just know there is a connection here.

The only thing I think is a problem with Surratt being a suspect in this case is it almost seemed like he preyed upon older folks, entering homes in almost all of the crimes he comitted. I'm not saying it couldn't have been him, but John and Ranee were in a vehicle in a remote spot, so I don't know. And that book being left outside the van bugs me. Makes me think it was someone who wanted Ranee, that knew her or had been following her.

There were also 3 very similar cases to these couple murder/abductions in Ohio from 1979 (after Surratt was incarcerated) to, I think 1983. Maybe a real similar serial killer was operating in this area.

Hollow said:
I read an old article last night that police had stated they had also found by John Feeny's (Ranee's boyfriend) van a copy of the book "The Green Eyed Monster". It said it was a book dealing with the subject of jealosy as a mental illness. They fail to tell who the author of this book was and when it was published. PGHLADY, do you know anything about this or if Ranee was likely the owner of this book?
Also I read that Feeny was killed by a single shotgun blast to the neck. Police, at the time were connecting it to others at the time, some already mentioned above.

December 8th 1977, Moon Township, Pittsburgh PA
Richard and Donna Hyde
Richard killed by single shotgun blast to abdomen
Donna abducted and beat to death by a blunt instrument, body found along Flaugherty run rd.

November 20th, 1977 Fallston, PA
William E. and Nancy Adams
William killed by shotgun blast to the chest
Nancy still missing

September 30th 1977, Marshall Township, Allegheny County
Joseph and Kathy Weinman
Joseph, a parapalegic, and his wife Kathy were beaten to death in their home. Coroner Cyril H. Wecht said Kathy was raped and subjected to sadism, threats, and torture.

September 20th 1977, Lima, Ohio
David and Linda Hamilton
David Hamilton shot 3 times in the head
wife Linda still missing
killer used 38 caliber revolver

September 27th, 1977 Kittaning, armstrong County
Frank Zeigler
found in his tanker truck shot 3 times in the head with a 38 caliber revolver.

Police also mention in the articles I found that three women, ranging in age, from 17-21 had been abducted, sexually assaulted and strangled with their own clothing within a fifty mile radius of Washington, PA from November 1976 on. A fourth woman had been found beaten, she had also been raped. I will try to get more information on these. Has anyone looked at PA maps to see how close all of these events mentioned on this thread took place? I did, and it's all in the same portion of PA.
Bumping this thread to go along with the Barbara Rowan thread. Has anyone noticed that Nancy Adams is not listed on doe network ?? She was never found that I've read.

BODIES 'UNRECOVERABLE'
Surratt was certified as a legal clerk by the Florida Department of Corrections, assisting fellow inmates with their legal matters. He lost the certification, however, when he had a conflict with a law library staff member.
He's considered a loner, who spends his time reading, exercising and lifting weights.

In 28 years, he's had only one visitor, an unidentified woman three years ago. An inmate friend felt sorry for him and asked his girlfriend to have one of her girlfriends visit Surratt. He said he enjoyed it. She never came back.

He receives and sends no mail.

He said he is still a practicing Hindu, which teaches that life on earth is hell from a previous life. He believes that the people you meet in this life are the only people you have had contact with in previous lives.

So, he said, he and Matthews must have known each other in a previous life.

As Matthews asked him about the various crimes, Surratt offered up small details.

The Hamiltons had a gold car, Surratt said. When pressed on the location of Linda Hamilton's body, he said, "It's unrecoverable."

Later, when Matthews mentioned missing Ranee Gregor, 15, of Robinson Township, who disappeared from another murder scene in Findlay Township on Oct. 21, 1977, Surratt repeated, "unrecoverable."

He told Matthews that a gas can used to set the Davises on fire came "from out back."

He blamed his behavior on his Vietnam experience and the United States not providing him counseling upon his return. Death and time had no relevance to him, he said.

Matthews told Surratt he was a sociopath, and he would have to give him more information if he wanted to go to South Carolina. He mentioned a few young girls who were killed during the same time period. "I'll give you a (expletive) carrot," Surratt said. "You can mark off your list all the young kids that I am accused of killing. ... You look back at all the murders and you will see the ones I committed: There were no kids hurt. If a kid was there, I protected them. There's your (expletive) carrot."

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17894827&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

THE DREADED NEWS
Darlene Rudolph was baby-sitting her 4-year-old granddaughter Thursday afternoon when her phone rang with news she'd dreaded for nearly 30 years.

But even though she'd imagined it every day, come up with every possible horrific scenario, it still struck her hard in the gut.

She called her daughter and told her to come immediately to get the child. She couldn't hold it together much longer.

When her daughter arrived, Rudolph told her: Her oldest sister, Ranee Gregor, missing for nearly 30 years, was dead. Police said Edward Surratt had killed her and told investigators Ranee's body was unrecoverable.

Mother and daughter broke down in tears for the 15-year-old girl who disappeared on Oct. 21, 1977, days short of her 16th birthday.

Ranee had been with her boyfriend, John Feeny, 17, of Coraopolis that night. Police found Feeny's body the next day, shot with a 12-gauge shotgun in his van parked on a secluded road near the airport in Findlay Township. Ranee never was found.

A short while after talking to Frost, Rudolph, 62, sat alone in her Robinson Township home, still in shock, and worried about how to tell Ranee's two other sisters.
"I think in my heart, I knew she was dead," she said. "But as hard as it is to hear, it's better to get closure."
Worse was the news that her killer said Ranee's remains are "unrecoverable."

"Everybody's meaning of unrecoverable is different, even if we could get something," Rudolph said. "That really upsets me. It hurts a lot. If we at least had something to bury in a place, if there was something ... Not to have something of her is hard."

Rudolph does have Ranee's scarf, her mittens, books from her room, her baby dolls and favorite records, a copy of the yearbook that should have contained her senior picture. She keeps it all in a box she sifts through.

There was some small measure of relief, she said, because she was always afraid she would die and her three remaining daughters would someday have to deal with this news alone. The family kept Ranee alive, she said. "We talk about her all the time, all the time," she said. "You can't help it. She was a part of our lives. I thought about her every day."

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17894878&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Rle7 said:
... Later, when Matthews mentioned missing Ranee Gregor, 15, of Robinson Township, who disappeared from another murder scene in Findlay Township on Oct. 21, 1977, Surratt repeated, "unrecoverable." ...

He blamed his behavior on his Vietnam experience and the United States not providing him counseling upon his return. Death and time had no relevance to him, he said. ...
Typical sociopathic dirtbag, thinking at all times ONLY of himself. Any excuse is a good excuse as far as he is concerned. But as a former military member, he knows the old saying about what Excuses are like...

Maybe with a little more work on him, he will eventually give up more information. This is a good start.

"When Suratt is transferred to the other Florida prison in the next several days, Matthews and Hunker plan to continue to talk with him. Surratt has promised more information. Once Surratt sees proof that he's being sent to South Carolina, Surratt is supposed to spill everything he knows.

If he doesn't, Matthews told him he will be sent back to Century."

Hopefully, he does give the details.

Can anyone tell me whether most [or all] of these case occurred on week days, or week-ends? If they were week days, does anyone know approximately what time ..... I'm looking for 'evening or night kills' on week days, between 7pm and midnight or 1 am. And week-end kills would probably be between 8 pm on Friday and 8 pm on Sunday.
The ones that were shot: Does anyone know what type of gun they were shot with? I'm looking for -- .357 magnum / .22 caliber / .410 shotgun.
Are there any cases that fit into this same theme prior to 1975?
If I'm on the right track here, the murders began in August of 1975, and haven't let up since. I believe there is a serial killer operating within a 300 mile radius of Washington County, Ohio [and yes, that's where he lives.] In the early days of his career, he was attracted to young girls -- 8 to 15 or so. As he matured, so did his victims. Eventually he swung from kids over to hookers. Then he swung back a little in the mid 1980's and his fantasies involved married women between 25 and 45 years of age. By the early 1990's he was looking back at the young kids again, possibly because he was going through a mid-life crisis and had to know he could still pass for 20 something [only to an inexperienced kid.] By the end of the 90's he didn't care what he could get hold of .......kids, married women, hookers, store clerks, didn't matter, because he had a whole new game that he was acting out, and he'd found the one woman in all the world that he couldn't buffalo, couldn't bribe, and he couldn't kill because she would be his end.
http://users.1st.net/mwells/SymbolicCases.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77
Back