Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought.....

The writing on her hand never goes anywhere but in light of the immigration thing I was thinking: a)a note to herself would have likely been in her native language, or, b) a note about something here like a bus/train/plane/etc would have been perhaps in English to properly describe it.

I wish we knew more about that. Like if it was in script or print.

Rory Kesinger

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26809/0

rorykesinger.jpg

Age last seen
24 to years old (Would be 2 years older than Beth's max age)

Date last seen
May 27, 1973 00:00

Height (inches) - Good

Weight (pounds) - Good for pre-pregnancy

Hair color is the same. I don't count eye color due to changes in decomposition but it is different from Beth's stated color.

No dentals available, fingerprints are available elsewhere, DNA from her mom is available per other reports.

From what I'm reading Rory was long considered to be the Lady of the Dunes but was ruled out on DNA in 2002.

By Felix Carroll,
Cape Cod Times

PROVINCETOWN -- An ominous, thick fog shrouded St. Peter's Cemetery around 6:30 a.m. Thursday, as fog would be expected to do when a casket holding the remains of a murder victim is being unearthed.
Gravedigger Maurice "Moe" Gonsalves, with gloved hands, had his shovel in the earth. Working alone, he piled dirt onto the bed of a truck. He then covered the hole with a wooden plank and waited for the unmarked sedans to arrive.

He said people sometimes lay flowers at the small, Bible-size headstone that reads only, "Unidentified Female Body Found Race Point Dunes July 26, 1974." That gravestone lay to the side yesterday like a discarded mystery.
"I haven't seen flowers here for a while, though," Gonsalves said.
Nonetheless, the bones that lay beneath his feet -- zipped in a plastic body bag and set inside a cheap, steel casket -- are far from forgotten.
What has been known for 26 years simply -- and cryptically -- as the "Body in the Dunes" was exhumed for the purpose of taking genetic samples.
Law enforcement sources say they are trying to match the victim's DNA to a saliva sample given to investigators by a woman in Colorado who may be the mother.
The identity of the dead woman has confounded state and local police since the body was discovered by a 13-year-old girl walking her dog in the dunes about a mile east of the Race Point ranger station in the summer of 1974. The naked woman's hands had been severed and were not found at the scene. Her head was barely attached.
The unsolved murder, along with the mystery identity of the woman, is the oldest case in the state police Cold Case Unit.
Copies of the woman's dental records have been sent all over the country. Police once followed a lead into Canada and came up empty.
Investigators have suspected since the late 1980s that the unidentified woman was Rory Gene Kesinger, who ran away from home at 15, robbed banks, used five aliases, took hard drugs and escaped from prison in Plymouth. But until now, they have been unable to verify that.
One police source said the woman in Colorado is the mother of Rory Gene Kesinger, who has been missing since 1974, when she was 25 years old.
The body, between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-8, matched Kesinger's height. The decomposed corpse was determined to be dead in the dunes anywhere from five days to three weeks. Forensic tests put her age between 25 and 35.
Although there is no direct evidence linking the dead woman to convicted killer Hadden Clark, investigators say he may have been on the Cape at the time she was killed.
Clark, 47, is serving time for killing a 6-year-old girl and a 23-year-old Maryland woman in 1992.
He told investigators that he killed at least 11 other women and buried some of them on the Cape -- in the National Seashore and near his grandparents' former home in Wellfleet. Investigators are expected to resume the search for these bodies sometime next month.
Clark and his brother Bradfield, now serving time in California for the dismemberment murder of a co-worker, both lived on the Cape as children.
Hadden Clark also lived and worked on the Lower Cape before joining the Navy. He was discharged in 1985.
Nine unmarked state and local police cars pulled into St. Peter's Cemetery around 10 a.m. yesterday.
Investigators held a tarp around the grave to block it from view as they lifted the remains from the casket and placed into a hearse owned by McHoul Funeral Home in Provincetown. The body was taken first to the funeral home on Harry Kemp Way, and later to the medical examiner's office in Pocasset.
David McHoul, director of the funeral home, said the body was not embalmed when it was first buried in the donated casket. He said the casket was made of light steel and suspected it might have taken in water over the years.
He said the body was dug up 20 years ago for blood samples. That was before DNA sampling became a key tool for crime investigators.
"Obviously," State Police Sgt. James Plath said at the cemetery, "respecting the privacy and
the sacredness of the deceased, this is not something we would do unless we thought it was necessary to do."
He said it could be months before investigators have any definitive answers regarding the identity of the dead woman. Though the case has remained open all these years, he said, investigators have been working "a little more intensely" in the past several months.
When asked whether Clark is being considered a suspect, he said, "We're not going to go into anything about the investigation at all."

Paper: Cape Cod Times (Hyannis, MA)
Title: Dune mystery continues
Date: March 6, 2002

PROVINCETOWN - The "body in the dunes" is not Rory Gene Kesinger,
according to recent DNA testing performed at a Boston University research
lab.A DNA sample from the body did not match a sample taken from
Kesinger's mother.

"We're back at square one," said Provincetown Police Sgt. Warren
Tobias, who has led the investigation for more than a decade. "But at least
we have a good DNA sample for future testing."

The mutilated body was found on July 26, 1974, by a young girl walking
her dog about a mile east of the Race Point ranger station.

Investigators determined the woman was dead in the dunes anywhere from
five days to three weeks. Forensic tests put her age between 25 and 35,
her height from 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches.

Investigators had suspected since the late 1980s that the unidentified
woman was Kesinger, a woman with a rough past, including robbery, drug
use and prison time.

"She fit the physical description of the body, had recently escaped
from the Plymouth house of corrections and had a direct connection to
Provincetown," said Tobias

But science has spoken from the grave, ruling out Kesinger, who has not
been seen since 1974.

"Now a question is, 'What happened to Rory Gene Kesinger?' " said
Tobias. "A lot of people want to know the answer to that."

They also want to know the identity of the body in the dunes. "The
investigation is still open," said Tobias. "It's still a win in that we
have something now we didn't have before. We know who it isn't. And we
have a good DNA test from the body."

Until recently, it appeared that even obtaining a DNA sample from the
body would be impossible. But according to Tobias, advanced techniques
at the Boston University lab allowed scientists to get a working sample
from an upper arm bone.

Tobias was able to track down Kesinger's mother in Colorado and obtain
a DNA sample for the test.

Another interesting item I found (someone on a different site actually found it and I found their post) was a ship's log for a transport ship in the Pacific. It transported civilians and military families. The Rory Gene Kesinger on there was born in Fort Leavenworth Kansas so perhaps, if this was Beth, her isotope attachment to Europe was that she was stationed with her family there until the age of 12.

RoryKessinger.JPG

According to local news (Boston area) at the time, everyone involved was absolutely astonished that Rory came up as no match for Lady of the Dunes. They were absolutely convinced it was her and I think they even did a second test to rule out some sort of chimeric condition.

Born in Europe and moved to southeast US at age 12 could certainly describe a military child. She wouldn't have to be an immigrant.

This case has been intriguing me from the moment I heard about it. So, here and there I would check for news on the case. Today I found an interesting article with few more information about what has been recently done.

Snippet:
The practice, known as chemical stable and heavy isotope analysis, has been used for years by archaeologists and anthropologists. Its application in forensics is newer, and it has given McAndrew new hope.

A few months ago, McAndrew sent some of Beth Doe's tooth enamel, bone and hair samples, taken when investigators exhumed the body in 2007, to the University of South Florida for analysis.

The university recently presented McAndrew with the first new information about the Beth Doe case in decades.

If the findings are correct, Beth Doe was born and spent her early childhood in western or central Europe. She moved to the United States as a child or a teenager. She spent at least five to 10 years in the United States before her murder.

She also most likely became pregnant in this country. And she probably lived in the Southeast, possibly somewhere in eastern Tennessee.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting article... Here is the link for the rest: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-carbon-county-beth-doe-20141129-story.html#page=2

(Snipped)
She also most likely became pregnant in this country. And she probably lived in the Southeast, possibly somewhere in eastern Tennessee.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting article... Here is the link for the rest: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-carbon-county-beth-doe-20141129-story.html#page=2

Not Trenny Gibson? :O

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gibson_trenny.html She went missing October 1, 1976 in the Smoky Mountains and while no mention of pregnancy, running away with the father would be one explanation for why a 16-year-old would disappear from a field trip. She's the right height. She's from Knoxville, which looks like eastern Tennessee. Can't find much more than that about her; they seem to assume she was lost on the hike, and for good reason. I would never have though to look at her without the Tennessee mention.

She's got DNA in the system so she should have been ruled out.

As I have mentioned already, this case has been intriguing me for some time. But the thing is, and this is MOO, that is not going to be easily solved. There are so many known details, but still identity of this victim is missing. Somehow, I think that Beth Doe had never been reported and until somebody who really knows something steps up, I think it will be hard to identify her.

There are some missing persons who to some extent fit the profile, but then it is not mentioned if they are of European origin. And then when we come to European background, we are getting more different info - from Mediterranean origin to Western/Central European.

I hope and wish that this case would be solved...

Not sure if you have this info - I'm updating her album on Never Forget Me; the FB page Still Seek Answers & I run - Beth Doe and baby Doe-December 20, 1976

Carbon County PA "Beth Doe" changed their profile picture.
November 11 - look at the top reply Carbon County PA "Beth Doe" Just a little note on the "new" profile pic. This was after Beth Doe and her daughter were exhumed. DNA profiles were done on both, new dentals for Beth (which revealed that her previous dentals were incorrect - the lower jaw reversed on charts). They were then reburied in a new coffin, one that, unlike the first, was made to withstand burial, one that could be moved should her family be found.

On the top on the coffin are two roses. I had spoken to Cpl Tom McAndrew about the exhumation and reburial. I couldn't be there but I asked him if he could please get a rose and place it on the coffin. Tom did me one better...he got two: one for Beth, one for the baby.

This pic always brings a tear to my eye ... and a smile. Well, done, Tom and colleagues. This shows the true character of our PSP troopers. Like · Reply · 1 · November 15 at 12:09am

Carbon County PA "Beth Doe" Good question. I honestly don't know. I have a list of over 100 girls that were looked at going back to '76. (and that's an old list - there's many more who've been submitted since I got the list). Of all those girls, only around 1/2 dozen were ruled out by dentals. Some were ruled out by fingerprint comparison, some by physical description. A few were located (alive and/or deceased). A LOT have no rule out info. So the thing is, how many of those had/have no dental info available for comparison? And could those records be found today? I think DNA has become the primary means of ruling out. Case in point, Valarie Cuccia was initially ruled out by dentals (before the corrections). She's now in NamUs with DNA and listed as a rule out. Betting dollars to donuts it was a DNA rule out. Like · 1 · 10 hours ago

Given the information that she may have been living in the southeast before she went missing, and more specifically, eastern Tennessee, it would be helpful if news outlets there would pick up this story and print her photo. Do we know if any of them have? Someone must recognize this face - she may have gone to school, she may have been someone's next door neighbor - either way, someone has seen her before. It's great the story is getting press in the area that the bodies were found, but now given the geographical specification, I'd think a key next step would also be getting this out to as many people as possible in that area who can potentially identify her. I hope that happens.

Given the information that she may have been living in the southeast before she went missing, and more specifically, eastern Tennessee, it would be helpful if news outlets there would pick up this story and print her photo. Do we know if any of them have?

Working on this with a colleague of mine who is in Tennessee. I've also been contacted by another reporter here in PA who wants to do a story on her.

I'd think a key next step would also be getting this out to as many people as possible in that area who can potentially identify her. I hope that happens.

Lot of folks visiting her fb page but I'd really like to see everyone Liking and SHARING the page. Newspaper articles are great but social media is a powerful thing.

17 days from now will mark 38 years since she was found.

Rory Kesinger

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26809/0

View attachment 63898

Age last seen
24 to years old (Would be 2 years older than Beth's max age)

Date last seen
May 27, 1973 00:00

Height (inches) - Good

Weight (pounds) - Good for pre-pregnancy

Hair color is the same. I don't count eye color due to changes in decomposition but it is different from Beth's stated color.

No dentals available, fingerprints are available elsewhere, DNA from her mom is available per other reports.

From what I'm reading Rory was long considered to be the Lady of the Dunes but was ruled out on DNA in 2002.

Another interesting item I found (someone on a different site actually found it and I found their post) was a ship's log for a transport ship in the Pacific. It transported civilians and military families. The Rory Gene Kesinger on there was born in Fort Leavenworth Kansas so perhaps, if this was Beth, her isotope attachment to Europe was that she was stationed with her family there until the age of 12.

View attachment 63899

Does anyone know if Rory has been ruled out?

When you immigrated here from Europe in that time frame, was fingerprinting part of the process?

Florida had something like 8% foreign born population circa 1970 and a good amount are European. Most of the other states ran 2% or less from what I saw. Why the jump for Florida? Did European immigrants pick oranges?

Do you have a link? My parents came over in the late 50's; settled in NJ with a lot of others that came over. My dad has been deceased almost 9 years; wish I could turn back time to ask him more questions.

Working on this with a colleague of mine who is in Tennessee. I've also been contacted by another reporter here in PA who wants to do a story on her.

Lot of folks visiting her fb page but I'd really like to see everyone Liking and SHARING the page. Newspaper articles are great but social media is a powerful thing.

17 days from now will mark 38 years since she was found.

I see you're friends with Todd & that you are tagged in a post on his wall. He can give you a lot of TN news media sites to contact.

Beth's album on Never Forget Me has been shared almost 200 times. Feel free to tag yourself on the album so you get notifications when people reply.

You should share the story in the TN missing FB group

Attachments

• BethDoeCover.jpg
    BethDoeCover.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 185
Does anyone know if Rory has been ruled out?

I don't know. I will send her name in. I was trying to find out more info but I haven't found anything of value since I posted that.

Do you have a link? My parents came over in the late 50's; settled in NJ with a lot of others that came over. My dad has been deceased almost 9 years; wish I could turn back time to ask him more questions.

This was one of them: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/10/us/20090310-immigration-explorer.html?_r=0

I can't find the others. I had searched ' historic immigration interactive maps' or something to that effect.

I see you're friends with Todd & that you are tagged in a post on his wall. He can give you a lot of TN news media sites to contact.

Beth's album on Never Forget Me has been shared almost 200 times. Feel free to tag yourself on the album so you get notifications when people reply.

You should share the story in the TN missing FB group

The owner of the TN group shared her. She also posted on our FB page; I asked if she knows news media she said yes. Crossing my fingers.

The owner of the TN group shared her. She also posted on our FB page; I asked if she knows news media she said yes. Crossing my fingers.

I messaged the info with link to the article to her and she posted in the group. I also saw where she and Todd became friends so I'm really hopeful that, between the two of them, Beth Doe will get some much need attention in TN.

CCJD, do you know whether Trenny Gibson was formally ruled out? She's from east Tennessee and went missing the October before Beth was found.

Last Thursday I had my sixth grandchild, a little girl, days later while holding her I thought about how excited Beth would have been to hold her baby, waiting, suit case packed with an outfit, nervous, that everything would be ok. That sick monster took that all away from her.

Current Rule Out List

Iris Brown 1948 Vermont
Valarie Cuccia 1953 New York
Trenny Gibson 1960 Tennessee
Anna Leatherwood 1921 Tennessee
Denise Sheehy 1954 New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online