Skyla Whitaker, 11, & Taylor Placker 13 - Found Murdered - #21

waltzingmatilda, Thanks so much for the link.

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that LE is releasing the serial number of the Glock. The fact that there has been a ballistic match between this specific Glock and the Weleetka case means:

1) there also had to have been a ballistic match between this specific firearm and another crime or

2) LE got ballistics from the manufacturer (GLOCK) or the original owner of the firearm.

Am I off base with this thought process?

You are not off base flossie. There was a poster on the theories thread who gave a tip to OBSI and told us to watch for new developments. He apparently found some stuff about KS online. Then, Susan Murphy Milano posted those photos of KS holding 2 guns on her journal, one of the guns looks like a glock. The poster who gave the tip hasn't posted again, which I don't blame him as it could compromise the case if he gave more details at this time.

Another possibility is that KS sold the glock after the girls were murdered and the person who purchased it in turn sold it at a gun show. Then when KS was arrested for murdering his fiance, this person recognized him as the one who sold him the glock and he put 2 and 2 together.

IDK how it is in OK but here in NC persons who purchase guns at gun shows are not required to go thru the registration and waiting period as opposed to buying one at a store. This may be why OSBI is putting up posters at gun show as there is no record of who bought the glock. Would a seller at a gun show keep the serial number of the guns he buys and then sells?

Just a theory and JMO. I am so happy there is forward movement in this case. Our girls need justice!

wm

wm

You are not off base flossie. There was a poster on the theories thread who gave a tip to OBSI and told us to watch for new developments. He apparently found some stuff about KS online. Then, Susan Murphy Milano posted those photos of KS holding 2 guns on her journal, one of the guns looks like a glock. The poster who gave the tip hasn't posted again, which I don't blame him as it could compromise the case if he gave more details at this time.

Another possibility is that KS sold the glock after the girls were murdered and the person who purchased it in turn sold it at a gun show. Then when KS was arrested for murdering his fiance, this person recognized him as the one who sold him the glock and he put 2 and 2 together.

IDK how it is in OK but here in NC persons who purchase guns at gun shows are not required to go thru the registration and waiting period as opposed to buying one at a store. This may be why OSBI is putting up posters at gun show as there is no record of who bought the glock. Would a seller at a gun show keep the serial number of the guns he buys and then sells?

Just a theory and JMO. I am so happy there is forward movement in this case. Our girls need justice!

wm

wm

IIRC, the poster was Jackamw (or something to that affect) he has been doing a lot of research on the death of an Oklahoma business man - Joe Neff. His info has been credible.

Here is my belief in what has occured - The Glock was stolen. The original owner, reported the theft and the serial number. The stolen Glock was used in the commission of a crime. (I would love to know what crime) The ballistics were entered into the system for (possible) future crimes. When the ballistics matched the original crime as well as the murders of Skyla and Taylor, OSBI began delving further into the whereabouts of the stolen Glock. Somehow, OSBI matched the serial number with the stolen Glock. I am guessing the original owner, was able to provide them with a bullet to match the ballistics or perhaps, the manufacturer was able to help.

The problem is going to be - whoever stole the gun, did not sell it where the serial number would be recorded. This in and of itself is not illegal but, it will make finding the firearm difficult.

There is a large gun and knife show being held in my town of residence. (I live near Oklahoma) I have just finished printing flyers regarding the reward / Glock info. I am going to go hand out the fliers as well as give them to law enforcement that are always present at the front doors. This will be my first foray into a gun show. I hope it goes well. :)

IIRC, the poster was Jackamw (or something to that affect) he has been doing a lot of research on the death of an Oklahoma business man - Joe Neff. His info has been credible.

Here is my belief in what has occured - The Glock was stolen. The original owner, reported the theft and the serial number. The stolen Glock was used in the commission of a crime. (I would love to know what crime) The ballistics were entered into the system for (possible) future crimes. When the ballistics matched the original crime as well as the murders of Skyla and Taylor, OSBI began delving further into the whereabouts of the stolen Glock. Somehow, OSBI matched the serial number with the stolen Glock. I am guessing the original owner, was able to provide them with a casing to match the ballistics or perhaps, the manufacturer was able to help.

The problem is going to be - whoever stole the gun, did not sell it where the serial number would be recorded. This in and of itself is not illegal but, it will make finding the firearm difficult.

There is a large gun and knife show being held in my town of residence. (I live near Oklahoma) I have just finished printing flyers regarding the reward / Glock info. I am going to go hand out the fliers as well as give them to law enforcement that are always present at the front doors. This will be my first foray into a gun show. I hope it goes well. :)

Dang flossie, you rock!!!!:rocker:

Good luck and please update us with details!

wm

Great theory, BTW!

Hello All ~
At the fore-mentioned gun show, I passed out quite a few fliers.
Looking for this particular Glock is a bit disheartening but, maybe with time, it will be found. I pray for justice for Sklya and Taylor.

Flossie

OSBI: Gun used in Weleetka murders sold in Tulsa

TULSA - New information has been released involving the gun used to kill two Weleetka girls more than three years ago.
---
The serial number on that gun is EKG463US and an intense investigation has revealed the gun may have been sold at a gun show in Tulsa this past March, according to officials.
---
a bit more at link above

If LE knows the gun was sold at the gun show, of course, they need it for the case, but wouldn't they also know who the seller is and be tracing back from the dealer who sold it as to where he bought it from? They sure need to promote this info heavily...in northwest Arkansas as well.....
I may be wrong but I thought dealers had to keep some sort of records.
I so hope this leads to a break in this case. It haunts me.

Wooohoooo! This case is finally moving!

Please Lord let them find that gun and identify who used it to take the lives of Taylor and Skyla.

Wow! This is on the front page of AOL today. Glad to see LE hadn't given up on this case.

Prayers they find what they're looking for. Someone knows what happened to these two sweet children.

fran

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-murder-oklahoma_n_1009774.html?ncid=webmail2

Taylor Paschal-Placker And Skyla Jade Whitaker: Police Discuss Weapon Used In Oklahoma Murders

<<<<<<<<<<< article at link >>>>>>>>>>>>

If LE knows the gun was sold at the gun show, of course, they need it for the case, but wouldn't they also know who the seller is and be tracing back from the dealer who sold it as to where he bought it from? They sure need to promote this info heavily...in northwest Arkansas as well.....

Hi justathought! I prolly don't know a thing about which I type since i have never been to a gun show. My understanding is that the reason gun shows are so popular is because they are 'private' and firearms can be bought and sold without any record of the sale without the burden of the national waiting and verification period. Perfect for someone with a criminal record or nefarious intentions. Don't get me wrong, I know that many who attend these shows are honest people who are true collectors.

I would like to think that the sellers at these shows are required to keep receipts for income tax purposes. Unless.......they also enjoy a loophole with the government that doesn't require them to report their sales.

If I were a gun collector, I would want a receipt for my purchase, JMO. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this subject can chime in here.

wm

Wow! This is on the front page of AOL today. Glad to see LE hadn't given up on this case.

Prayers they find what they're looking for. Someone knows what happened to these two sweet children.

fran

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-murder-oklahoma_n_1009774.html?ncid=webmail2

Taylor Paschal-Placker And Skyla Jade Whitaker: Police Discuss Weapon Used In Oklahoma Murders

Thanks for posting this fran! Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do as individuals (not WS members) to help get the word out? Can anyone advise me how to get the reward poster in my siggy line. I would sure appreciate the help! It is a start and worth a try!

Blessings to our flossie for handing out flyers at that gun show a few weeks ago!

wm

ETA I just posted the article to my FB page. :)

fran

Great development! I think I may know how LE got the serial number of the gun. If the gun was previously used in a crime, and LE had to fire the gun to "ballistic fingerprint" it and record details like the serial number, the ballistics would eventually be stored in a ballistics database called NIBIN. Details are here: http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/ATF/a0530/app8.htm.

So OSBI could then submit the ballistic images on the rounds they found at the scene to NIBIN. When NIBIN matched those rounds to its one of its national ballistic records, it was instantly able to provide the serial number of the gun.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what happened, but I can't think of any other plausible way where OSBI can definitely link a missing murder weapon to a serial number.

Well, OSBI needs to get specific about the date and the name of the gun show and ask for time on the network morning shows...all of these shows..ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox and CNN are pretty generous about giving time to law enforcement agencies for this type of thing....i would think odds are pretty good that some unsuspecting gun collector now owns the weapon ...at least as good as a criminal type....and that it can be recovered. My ex used to own a glock just like that....he sold it years ago though when he divested his gun collection.....

Have any of our locals heard any news on KS? Has a trial date been set for his fiance's murder? TIA

wm

This case has haunted me ever since it occurred. Especially since they hadn't caught the perp. Somehow, I just knew he either had done it before or would kill someone else. This case of Kevin Joe Sweat and his arrest for the murder of his fiance, Ashley Taylor, is what might have cracked this cold case.

I'm not privvy to any inside info, but after snooping around the internet, I think I might have figured out, at least part of why LE is now looking at him. Plus, it appears a poster here on WS may have sent in a tip that brought the FBI's interest onto this suspect.

Kevin Joe Sweat is now 25, and he would have been 22 when this crime occurred. The perp was described as 6', with long dark-brown hair in a pony-tail down the back. He was said to be in mid 30's or something like that. With this description you wouldn't really look at this guy. PLUS,he MAY NOT have actually lived in the area at the time. I don't know.

You look at his picture from his recent arrest, and you wouldn't connect him because of that appearance. Here's a link with his mug shot:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110804_12_0_OKMULG302259

...and he's only 25, not in mid 30's as originally reported. But I've seen the description be wayyy off, ie the Joseph Duncan case for Anthony Martinez, years ago here in Cali. (the description said 6', and IIRC, he was only 5'9", but little boys gave the eye-witness account) Eyewitness testimony is more inaccurate than not, imho.

Here's a link to photos taken of him previously. They were on his website 'deviant art' or something like that.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=KevenJoeSweat-fromDeviantArt.jpg

Now, compare it to the sketch of the perp in the murders:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2319857&postcount=3"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Photos, maps, other images ***NO DISCUSSION***[/ame]

He's also 6'. His parents and I believe his grandparents, or step grandparents have property, so I read from a commentor on a news article on or by County Road 5425 in Weleetka, which this poster said, and I'm not SURE, is close to where the girls were found. One news article said the girls were found on "County Line Road."

IIRCC, Ashley's burned remains and some id'ing items were located on his grandparent's property, close to where Taylor and Skyla were located. The photo of KS on his 'diviant art' link shows him with at least two guns, a rifle, or is it a shot gun? and a hand-gun. Is that a 'glock?'

LE has the serial # of the 'glock,' 40 caliber. LE knew early on this was a 40 caliber and they had around 25 or so out of 40 people in the area registered with 40 caliber glocks come in for testing to compare id'ing marks. They then had to find the others. As they know the serial # I'm thinking either this guy or his family MAY have had a 40 caliber glock and sold it at a gun show. LE is now looking for it and asking anyone who bought it at a gun show to please bring it in. They want to compare the marks. The person in possession of the gun is not under suspicion, imho, but Kevin Joe Sweat is!

This guy fits EXACTLY the type of person I thought may have done this horrible thing to these two sweet young girls. I think he MAY have done it, if not him someone else, just to see what it was like. I believe it was just a random act and the opportunity. :(

JMHO
fran

PS...here's a link to them looking for the gun. They say the person may have it "UNKNOWINGLY."

http://www.fox23.com/mostpopular/st...der-still-missing/ZwYKR8C0nEa1_-nv5ZyHuw.cspx
Gun used in Weleetka girls' murder still missing

"I know somebody has it out there," says Whitaker. "All you got to do is open that gun cabinet and look at the serial number."

But that's what state investigators are saying. Someone in Tulsa might unknowingly have the murder weapon in their gun cabinet. For those in Weleetka who are trying so hard to heal that weapon can't be found soon enough

pps

http://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=35610&MemberID=1991

Murder case files reveal gruesome details

OSBI agent believes remains found in burn pile are Ashley Taylor

On August 5th and August 6th, 2011, OSBI Agents along with Okmulgee Police Officers conducted a search at Pat Sweat's property near Weleetka, Oklahoma. OSBI Agents recovered several fragmented pieces of adult human bones. pieces of prescription eye glasses, and pieces of female clothing from a burn pile on the north side of the house. The glasses were consistent as being the prescription glasses of Ashley Taylor.
Agent Titsworth believes that the human bones along with other items that were found in the burn pile are consistent to be evidence of Ashley Taylor's body.

This case has haunted me ever since it occurred. Especially since they hadn't caught the perp. Somehow, I just knew he either had done it before or would kill someone else. This case of Kevin Joe Sweat and his arrest for the murder of his fiance, Ashley Taylor, is what might have cracked this cold case.

I'm not privvy to any inside info, but after snooping around the internet, I think I might have figured out, at least part of why LE is now looking at him. Plus, it appears a poster here on WS may have sent in a tip that brought the FBI's interest onto this suspect.

Kevin Joe Sweat is now 25, and he would have been 22 when this crime occurred. The perp was described as 6', with long dark-brown hair in a pony-tail down the back. He was said to be in mid 30's or something like that. With this description you wouldn't really look at this guy. PLUS,he MAY NOT have actually lived in the area at the time. I don't know.

You look at his picture from his recent arrest, and you wouldn't connect him because of that appearance. Here's a link with his mug shot:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110804_12_0_OKMULG302259

...and he's only 25, not in mid 30's as originally reported. But I've seen the description be wayyy off, ie the Joseph Duncan case for Anthony Martinez, years ago here in Cali. (the description said 6', and IIRC, he was only 5'9", but little boys gave the eye-witness account) Eyewitness testimony is more inaccurate than not, imho.

Here's a link to photos taken of him previously. They were on his website 'deviant art' or something like that.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=KevenJoeSweat-fromDeviantArt.jpg

Now, compare it to the sketch of the perp in the murders:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Photos, maps, other images ***NO DISCUSSION***

He's also 6'. His parents and I believe his grandparents, or step grandparents have property, so I read from a commentor on a news article on or by County Road 5425 in Weleetka, which this poster said, and I'm not SURE, is close to where the girls were found. One news article said the girls were found on "County Line Road."

IIRCC, Ashley's burned remains and some id'ing items were located on his grandparent's property, close to where Taylor and Skyla were located. The photo of KS on his 'diviant art' link shows him with at least two guns, a rifle, or is it a shot gun? and a hand-gun. Is that a 'glock?'

LE has the serial # of the 'glock,' 40 caliber. LE knew early on this was a 40 caliber and they had around 25 or so out of 40 people in the area registered with 40 caliber glocks come in for testing to compare id'ing marks. They then had to find the others. As they know the serial # I'm thinking either this guy or his family MAY have had a 40 caliber glock and sold it at a gun show. LE is now looking for it and asking anyone who bought it at a gun show to please bring it in. They want to compare the marks. The person in possession of the gun is not under suspicion, imho, but Kevin Joe Sweat is!

This guy fits EXACTLY the type of person I thought may have done this horrible thing to these two sweet young girls. I think he MAY have done it, if not him someone else, just to see what it was like. I believe it was just a random act and the opportunity. :(

JMHO
fran

PS...here's a link to them looking for the gun. They say the person may have it "UNKNOWINGLY."

http://www.fox23.com/mostpopular/st...der-still-missing/ZwYKR8C0nEa1_-nv5ZyHuw.cspx
Gun used in Weleetka girls' murder still missing

"I know somebody has it out there," says Whitaker. "All you got to do is open that gun cabinet and look at the serial number."

But that's what state investigators are saying. Someone in Tulsa might unknowingly have the murder weapon in their gun cabinet. For those in Weleetka who are trying so hard to heal that weapon can't be found soon enough

pps

http://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=35610&MemberID=1991

Murder case files reveal gruesome details

OSBI agent believes remains found in burn pile are Ashley Taylor

On August 5th and August 6th, 2011, OSBI Agents along with Okmulgee Police Officers conducted a search at Pat Sweat's property near Weleetka, Oklahoma. OSBI Agents recovered several fragmented pieces of adult human bones. pieces of prescription eye glasses, and pieces of female clothing from a burn pile on the north side of the house. The glasses were consistent as being the prescription glasses of Ashley Taylor.
Agent Titsworth believes that the human bones along with other items that were found in the burn pile are consistent to be evidence of Ashley Taylor's body.

Fran,
That is great insight to this case. I was wondering how you thought LE was turned onto Sweat being a possible suspect in the deaths of Skyla and Taylor. Do you think it came strictly from a tip or do you think they had forensic evidence?

I have a tendency to think in the interrogation process of Ashleys murder, Sweat may have said something that brought the investigators attention to him. I think the next step was forensic evidence found on Kevin or his parents property. Again, that is all suppostition on my part.

Flossie

It is my understanding that if a gun is purchased at a gun show and the purchase is made in cash, there does not have to be a record of any purchase or transaction. Of course for tax purposes the seller would have to record the sale but he/she would not have to record info on the buyer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaarqueiro
Back