Staton confident this case won't end up in the cold case file

This didn't happen, as far as I know? They did not call her a suspect. The writer of the article said they suspect her, I believe.

I am confused about the duffle bag-like object they could not pull up-was that the same object that turned out to be a carpet roll or a different item that they still never found?

Again, poorly written in my opinion but what I gathered is that is they never found the duffle bag like object but found other things such as the carpet etc.

Again, poorly written in my opinion but what I gathered is that is they never found the duffle bag like object but found other things such as the carpet etc.

That is what I gathered too...but the way it was left hanging in the article, something that sounds rather important becomes mundane...I mean a duffle bag in the bay...mightn't that be important? What poor writing...very frustrating when, like us folks, one is trying to glean any new little fact or clue in the morass of reprinted stuff...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I feel LE believes TH is a suspect. I do not feel they are naming her as "THE" suspect.

this is completely different from saying that LE officially named terri a suspect. what i understood from the article, le didn't name any suspect, the suspect or otherwise and that everyone is still under suspicion.

this is completely different from saying that LE officially named terri a suspect. what i understood from the article, le didn't name any suspect, the suspect or otherwise and that everyone is still under suspicion.

BBM

sniped from article

"They're a lot further along," Staton said. "They started out with a long laundry list. ... They've gradually been able to eliminate people who they can say are absolutely not involved. This investigation has narrowed it down significantly."

To me, there still seems to be something "off" about this whole thing. Thinking that more than one person is involved because of not being able to account for time during that 6 hours, not having any evidence, and the parents not coordinating conferences with LE. Even the time period mentioned up until 3:45. I know that Kyron wasn't actually discovered missing (except by little schoolmates) until then, but something just doesn't seem quite right. I'm kind of wondering if everyone isn't suspecting a totally wrong person, but maybe the right person who helped. Terri wasn't actually mentioned in this latest, but it seems they are alluding to Dede as an accomplice.

BBM

I completely agree that there is something "off" about this case. I think you're right, there is something they are not getting right.

As for the comment I bolded, I think it's pretty common for families of unsolved disappearances or homicides to come out of the initial "honeymoon" period with LE about six months out.

At first, the family sees LE as the people who will do the most to help them; they often seem to have a "hero worship" attitude towards LE. Then, as time goes on and very little or nothing happens, the family starts to show some discontent with LE, starts to have disagreements with LE as to what to do next, etc.

For one example, Elizabeth Smart's family went against LE advice in releasing the sketch of "Emmanual" about six months after Elizabeth was abducted.

To me, this just seems like a natural progression. When a loved one is missing, the family wants them back RIGHT NOW and if one method of finding them (cooperating with LE) doesn't seem to be producing results, they're naturally going to start thinking about and employing other options.

Staton says that while investigators have been doing everything they can, he does wish he could go back to that first day Kyron disappeared.

“At first, we thought it was a child who walked away from school,” Staton said.

He believes that if somehow they could have figured out earlier that it was an abduction, they would have done things differently.

“The opportunity to catch people was greater when things were fresh,” he said.

Instead, it wasn’t until two days later that they started bringing teachers, students and parents back to the school for interviews.

“That hurt us,” he says. “Once the days passed, people began to lose their train of thought and what they did or didn’t see.”

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Sheriff-confident-about-Horman-case-even-after-6-months-111327254.html

Not sure why they didn't interview the people anyway because someone might have known where and when the child could have wandered to... but I wonder if Terri saying Kyron had absence seizures and a tendency to wander away without saying anything had anything to do with their conviction that he just walked away. Did someone else say he was a potential wanderer?

"Six-hour window"

Kyron disappeared June 4. His stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, had driven the 7-year-old to school early that morning for a science fair. She told authorities that she last saw him walking down the hall toward his classroom about 8:45 a.m.

He never made it there, but he wasn't reported missing until the afternoon, after his father, Kaine Horman, and stepmother discovered he was not aboard the school bus. They went to the school to find him, prompting the school secretary to call 9-1-1 at 3:46 p.m.

Investigators interviewed about 300 students, their parents, and all faculty and staff, and determined that Kyron was not seen at the school after 8:45 a.m., but the school never called anyone to report his absence.

"That six-hour window -- a lot was lost," Staton said. "That's still frustrating to me because I think that's one of the things that really hurt. That six hours ... I wish we could regain those six hours."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

What does he mean by a six hour window? By my reckoning it's a seven hour window from 8:45 am to 3:46 pm.

Kaine says he got home around 1:45, and he says Terri and the baby were there with Terri online. So, if they believe him, they should only be concerned about Terri for 5 hours. Maybe even less since the gym girl saw her at a grocery store and she also went to the gym.

This didn't happen, as far as I know? They did not call her a suspect. The writer of the article said they suspect her, I believe.

I am confused about the duffle bag-like object they could not pull up-was that the same object that turned out to be a carpet roll or a different item that they still never found?

From the article:

Divers recently searched the Multnomah Channel off the island to check out a tip: A group fishing for sturgeon with sophisticated sonar gear detected something they hadn't encountered before. They tried to hook on to it, but their line broke, and they estimated its dimensions as similar to a duffel bag. Divers turned up only river debris. Last month, a dive team clearing access to a waterway found a large bundle of carpet that seemed to be weighed down. Turns out, it was discarded carpet and rocks.

It sounds to me like it was two different incidents. The incident of the fisherman who reported detecting a duffel-like object with their sonar gear happened "recently" but resulted in divers only finding river debris. By river debris, I would imagine they mean the sorts of objects that fall out of boats or natural objects that get carried downstream. What the fishermen saw could even have been an aggregation of objects that had temporarily come to rest together to look on sonar like a single object.

The incident of the roll of carpet happened "last month."

So, two different incidents.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

What does he mean by a six hour window? By my reckoning it's a seven hour window from 8:45 am to 3:46 pm.

SBM

I thought he meant the period of time between the official roll call at 10 am (when Kyron was marked absent) and 3:46 pm, when LE was called.

I really don't expect that the perpetrator, whoever they may be, would make it clear exactly when they took Kyron, so 10 am was the earliest that a non-perpetrator noticed him missing.

Which is just a bit over six hours.

SBM

I thought he meant the period of time between the official roll call at 10 am (when Kyron was marked absent) and 3:46 pm, when LE was called.

Good point, that could be it I guess.

I really don't expect that the perpetrator, whoever they may be, would make it clear exactly when they took Kyron, so 10 am was the earliest that a non-perpetrator noticed him missing.

This I'm not sure of. IMO the teacher should have and most teachers would have kept track of how many children came to class and left with the chaperons to tour the fair, even before the official roll call. If she didn't pay any attention to how many children there were or weren't, how does she even know that she didn't see Kyron after 8:45?

I did not see, in any of the articles, the statement that Terri is the last person, or last adult, to have seen Kyron...unless I missed it?

This I'm not sure of. IMO the teacher should have and most teachers would have kept track of how many children came to class and left with the chaperons to tour the fair, even before the official roll call. If she didn't pay any attention to how many children there were or weren't, how does she even know that she didn't see Kyron after 8:45?

EXACTLY!!! This is what is so nagging about things like LE saying Terri was the "last known adult to see Kyron" and TP's interview.

This is why it is so infuriating that we don't have the basic timeline of that morning. When was roll called? When were the kids put into groups? Who was in charge of Kyron's group? What other kids were in that group? Did any of them ever see Kyron that day, and when? Where did the group go and when? Were they all close together looking at individual projects, or just moving from place to place at the same time?

What did the teacher really say about the dr. appointment? Or where she thought Kyron went? What did the kids say?

Seriously, it's crazy making stuff. I do not comprehend how releasing that info after 6 months could possibly affect anyone's memory. I do not see how sharing those details could do anything but help remind someone of a conversation or person from that day.

It's time to release some more info (and not the divorce drama BS that isn't helping Kyron or Baby K at ALL) and see what shakes out.

I did not see, in any of the articles, the statement that Terri is the last person, or last adult, to have seen Kyron...unless I missed it?

Yes, there are numerous "direct" quotes, although I do not recall the "last known adult". There are threads as well on this. After this was mentioned it hasn't been changed TMK Cluciano. I believe it was in one of the pressers from late June or in July if you want to search for the actual tape.

Yes, there are numerous "direct" quotes, although I do not recall the "last known adult". There are threads as well on this. After this was mentioned it hasn't been changed TMK Cluciano. I believe it was in one of the pressers from late June or in July if you want to search for the actual tape.

No, I meant this last batch of articles, today and yesterday?

It is older information. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.katu.com/news/local
/108352154.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/terri_moulton_horman_appears_i.html

Since this article says Terri saw him at about 8:45 am and goes on to say that the police have determined that no one saw him at the school after 8:45 it does not leave much room for any other adults, or persons for that matter, to see him after Terri anyway.

Unless they now know of someone who saw him somewhere outside the school later on.

The OL article – strikes me as, well, odd.

1) The interview with Staton and – presumably -- the tour of the Task Force center occurred a week before publication of the article. It was an “exclusive” interview, a six-month retrospective of the Kyron Horman case. Maxine Bernstein was, apparently, the only reporter “on” this retrospective story until her article broke.

Odd #1. My guess is other reporters sought access, but didn’t get it.

2) Then – after the Bernstein article appeared online (a day AHEAD of its hard-copy publication) -- KGW followed suit. KGW was the only PDX media, aside from OL, to gain an interview (by phone) with Staton. All other outlets apparently quoted The Oregonian article.

Odd #2. KGW is tied into Northwest Cable News. Did the KGW/NWCN assignment editor suddenly do an “oh, duh” on Dec 4? Did a regional news organization – at the last minute -- realize they’d missed a news opp for a six-month retrospective?

Again, IMO, MOO *pure speculation* … interviews by other reporters were sought and denied. Maxine was allowed access. Why? For starters, Maxine Bernstein has long-standing associations with LE and the DAs in the PDX area. That’s her beat. Now, on to:

Odd #3: The Oregonian article is the first time LE admits, "Investigators suspect more than one person was involved in Kyron's disappearance ..." and that "... persons of interest had emerged whose alibis on where they were during the six crucial hours before Kyron was reported missing didn't stack up."

But … “They point to one undeniable fact: They lack any physical evidence of Kyron, or physical evidence that links anyone to his disappearance.”

And finally, the reason for this post is to ask:

Odd #4: Is The Oregonian article an avenue for LE to say, “We know others are involved in Ky’s abduction. We have no (physical) evidence tying you (the others) to Ky’s disappearance. So …

… bring him home.

Just sayin’.

No physical evidence, that is exactly why this investigation has stalled. IMO LE has done a thorough investigation, and they probably have an excellent working THEORY, but NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE, which is what cases such as this are based on. The monetary cost involved in the largest search in Oregon history cannot and will not be brought before a court until there is at least some minutae of physical evidence to present to a jury. I believe LE is just waiting for that one extra special lead that can be substantiated with physical evidence and then they will proceed. We can only hope that happens.

Should we make anything of the (apparently recent) change in the MCSO sheriff's reward fund? As recently as a few weeks ago there was still a streaming banner on their Breaking News/public info page saying anyone who had info about Ky's whereabouts should call.... But, today I noticed the banner is gone.

And if you click on the Donate button on that page (Bank of America) the notice that comes up says the fund is to help offset search costs and to help with efforts for other missing/endangered children.

How recently did these things change? And do the changes relate to the status of the investigation, as summarized in the Oregonian article?

I also did not get the impression that LE was naming Terri a suspect, rather that the reporter said that they suspect Terri, etc...

I think they are at the same place as months ago...they do suspect Terri but have no proof. Not even of what the crime is.

I didn't get that impression either. It's odd how some writers add their own spin.
I don't think LE knows exactly who Kyron left that day.
If it was TH, surely someone saw them leave.

I think LE has a good idea on exactly who Kyron left school with that day. I further think they have a good idea on what happened. I am interested in their statement that February would be the time to look for this to be wrapped up. I think this may coincide with JG dates, with the prosecutor, and with a personal deadline they may have for moving forward without a body.

IMHOO... yes my honest opinion only.. I think they will go for murder one.. with plan in place a la Terri.

MOO
MOO
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member