Staton confident this case won't end up in the cold case file

cluciano63: That thing about Terri being the last adult seen with Kyron is really old news, and the police have said it more than once, so I'm not sure why they need to bring it up in every interview. IMO, they clearly they have no other suspects unless it is DeDe or someone else connected to TH.

To me that's just one of the basic facts of the case that hasn't changed since the first weekend Kyron was missing.

I think LE has a good idea on exactly who Kyron left school with that day. I further think they have a good idea on what happened. I am interested in their statement that February would be the time to look for this to be wrapped up. I think this may coincide with JG dates, with the prosecutor, and with a personal deadline they may have for moving forward without a body.

IMHOO... yes my honest opinion only.. I think they will go for murder one.. with plan in place a la Terri.

MOO
MOO
MOO

I totally agree! Maybe they are hoping to find the boy by February just to have that extra evidence, but surely they have a solid circumstantial case.

The February date is because that is the next time that Staton has to meet with the money people...I don't think it has any other meaning in this case.

Also I am not questioning whether or not LE still thinks that Terri was the last person to see him...I just find it odd that they have not said that lately. They did not have any problem saying it for the first few months. So it does stand out to me.

I'm wondering if Stanton's six hour window is going by the 8:45 last sighting by an adult at the school and the 2:45 time that the neighbor Kelly saw a white pickup idling outside his property. There's got to be more to those two pickup idling incidents than we've been told. I just can't see how they'd be starting with the 10 oclock roll at the school, because the teacher and helper knew that Kyron wasn't there to go on the tour with his class. He was supposedly seen before but not after, so they'd have to start the timeline with before. Has it been actually verified that any adult really saw him at the school that morning? The timeline could even be from when Kaine last saw Kyron at home and then returned home six hours later.
The timeline should be from when a verifiable adult last saw Kyron until another first found out he was gone, and that wouldn't be Terri.

I'm wondering if Stanton's six hour window is going by the 8:45 last sighting by an adult at the school and the 2:45 time that the neighbor Kelly saw a white pickup idling outside his property. There's got to be more to those two pickup idling incidents than we've been told. I just can't see how they'd be starting with the 10 oclock roll at the school, because the teacher and helper knew that Kyron wasn't there to go on the tour with his class. He was supposedly seen before but not after, so they'd have to start the timeline with before. Has it been actually verified that any adult really saw him at the school that morning? The timeline could even be from when Kaine last saw Kyron at home and then returned home six hours later.
The timeline should be from when a verifiable adult last saw Kyron until another first found out he was gone, and that wouldn't be Terri.

I think the six hour window is exactly as GrainneDhu mentioned above. Roll call at 10:00 and LE getting the 9-1-1 call approximately 3:45pm. But after going down that road myself, I DEFINITELY think the truck sightings at Mr. Kelley's house are very much a part of this case.

I think the six hour window is exactly as GrainneDhu mentioned above. Roll call at 10:00 and LE getting the 9-1-1 call approximately 3:45pm. But after going down that road myself, I DEFINITELY think the truck sightings at Mr. Kelley's house are very much a part of this case.

I think I saw someone's pictures of that road - was that the sort of overgrown two tire rut path looking road? You think it was part of it because no one would have gone down that road unless they were visiting someone there or lived there?

Off topic and intended solely as humour:

That road sounds so unlikely to be travelled by strangers, I wonder if YOU are now part of the tips file in the case! "Strange vehicle sighted at X o'clock, did not stop, may have been casing the houses..."

I think I saw someone's pictures of that road - was that the sort of overgrown two tire rut path looking road? You think it was part of it because no one would have gone down that road unless they were visiting someone there or lived there?

Yes, several of us have all been down the road. The chance that someone would mistakenly go all the way down to Mr. Kelley's house not once but twice in a day (the day a little boy is missing) has got to be connected to this case. :cow:

Free's pictures are in the resources link I believe. But the pictures don't even do it justice. It's not even what I would describe as a street.

P.S. We probably should put this over in another thread.......?

I think LE has a good idea on exactly who Kyron left school with that day. I further think they have a good idea on what happened. I am interested in their statement that February would be the time to look for this to be wrapped up. I think this may coincide with JG dates, with the prosecutor, and with a personal deadline they may have for moving forward without a body.

IMHOO... yes my honest opinion only.. I think they will go for murder one.. with plan in place a la Terri.
MOO
MOO
MOO

I disagree. They can't indict anyone for murder without some evidence that a murder took place. They said they have no physical evidence and don't even know whether he is dead or alive. And if they have no proof of death, then they certainly have no proof of who killed him.

I disagree. They can't indict anyone for murder without some evidence that a murder took place. They said they have no physical evidence and don't even know whether he is dead or alive. And if they have no proof of death, then they certainly have no proof of who killed him.

Agreed. I'm not sure how many more times or different ways the LE sources quoted in the article could have said that they have no evidence and no clear suspects - all they have is a plan to keep investigating. I'm not sure how you reconcile the statements of Staton and other LE quoted in the article with a conclusion that this case is nearly wrapped up. I suppose every case is always just one piece of evidence away from being wrapped up - if that piece of evidence is the fabled smoking gun - but that's not saying much, is it?

I disagree that physical evidence is needed for a charge of murder. Circumstancial cases have been presented before and I see that happening again without finding Kyron. Will it be enough to convict? That's the problem. I think they have evidence but maybe not enough right now which is why it's seemingly stalled. Personally, I think there will come a time when they have to make a decision to go forward with what they have. Sounds like February is that time.

Wasn't it Stanton that said,
(paraphrase) "We found out things we wish we hadn't."

By now, they must have a clear picture of who Terri Horman is from her computer, cell phone, books, movies, etc.

It's just a matter of finding the WHO and WHERE that is also involved.

IMO the WHY is to hurt Kaine & Desiree...A failed ransom demand by Terri & accomplice?

I disagree that physical evidence is needed for a charge of murder. Circumstancial cases have been presented before and I see that happening again without finding Kyron. Will it be enough to convict? That's the problem. I think they have evidence but maybe not enough right now which is why it's seemingly stalled. Personally, I think there will come a time when they have to make a decision to go forward with what they have. Sounds like February is that time.

So from this:

"The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports back to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 2."

you get that they are going to go ahead with a Circumstancial case in February?

It sounds to me that February is only a status update about the money, how it is being spent and where the case is.

I don't think magically there will be charges brought against anyone in February.

I agree that Feb. is not any magic date...just the next time they have to meet with the committee about the status and cost of the case. Of course they hope to be at a point to make an arrest then, but they won't be, if something new doesn't come in.

I'm not sure they could ever charge anyone with first degree murder in a case without any signs of a crime (i.e.blood, etc) even if they believe he is dead; they won't have any idea how he died, everything would be speculation. I'm not sure they could determine cause of death by now even if he is found.

I guess people are taking away different things from the articles last week. I did not read anything that led me to believe they are close to making an arrest. But I suppose it is possible that they may decide to try a circumstantial case once they feel there is no more evidence to be had.

As most of us, Terri was a fan of CSI television show.

We have Kyron in front of "Terri's Frog Exhibit" wearing a CSI t-shirt.
We have a family photo in front of CSI's "Monster in the Box" exhibit at the science museum.

Could Terri be sending clues?

Monster in the Box vs. Boy in the Box? (true story) http://americasunknownchild.net/

CSI's Monster in the Box is about a miniature crime scene....Terri's shoe box for Red Eyed Frogs?

So from this:

"The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports back to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 2."

you get that they are going to go ahead with a Circumstancial case in February?

It sounds to me that February is only a status update about the money, how it is being spent and where the case is.

I don't think magically there will be charges brought against anyone in February.

Oh I agree with you that it's budget driven. I just think they will need to make lots of decisions about the direction of the case that unfortunately go hand in hand with resources and budgets. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

We might not be hearing so much about the cost of this case if the economy was in better shape, and so many services, etc. were not being cut...(also if they had found Kyron...cost would not be such an issue...)

I was reading old articles and the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation cost $1.7 million for the first five years of the case---1996 to 2001. Do missing person cases generally cost a lot more than homicide investigations? I was pretty surprised by the difference between the figures.

It also looks like it took five years before we found out how much LE had spent on the JBR case as I think that was the first time the figures were released. Why are getting constant updates about how much LE is spending for Kyron's case just a few months after it happened? Is there another case where we were learning just months later, how much LE had spent?

The investigation has nothing to lose by waiting the 120 days & arresting a suspect without a body. TMH might be smart in her own mind ,but there are a lot of LE much smarter than she imagines herself to be. Mark my words.! Next year is the year!!

I was reading old articles and the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation cost $1.7 million for the first five years of the case---1996 to 2001. Do missing person cases generally cost a lot more than homicide investigations? I was pretty surprised by the difference between the figures.

It also looks like it took five years before we found out how much LE had spent on the JBR case as I think that was the first time the figures were released. Why are getting constant updates about how much LE is spending for Kyron's case just a few months after it happened? Is there another case where we were learning just months later, how much LE had spent?

Some of it is probably time passing. Everything costs more now.

But I would imagine that a missing person case with no known crime scene would cost vastly more than a homicide case with a contained crime scene. I mean, it's not even like with JBR that they were searching a field or parking lot for forensics; my guess is that they searched the house and right around it.

Also, the sheer number of people who looked for Kyron in the first week is probably more than the number of people who've worked on the JBR case since it happened. Imagine all those searchers combing fields and woods, the dogs and supplies...feeding and housing them all. Just the paper and ink would be a LOT! Even if some or all of them donated their services at first, I don't know how anyone can afford to do that for long. Interviewing 300+ people from the school, maybe multiple times, plus neighbors and family members and friends would take a lot of cop hours.

With JBR, as emotional as it was, there wasn't that feeling of panic and time slipping by when she might be saved. There probably was a lot more control over overtime - harder to say no to overtime when you feel like you might save Kyron at any moment, with just one more hour of searching. My guess is that the overtime pay from that first couple of weeks is a big chunk of it.

It's so overwhelming when you think of everything that had/has to be done. It must be disheartening at times that Kyron still hasn't been found after so much effort and time and emotion and, yes, money. I hope the searchers and LE have some sort of support network or counseling to cope with those emotions.

Sad but true that money is the issue on everyone's mind these days...
It does have to come from somewhere, and whether they say so or not, it comes from taking away from something else. So people are going to ask questions and wonder why they are not seeing a result...whether it is logical or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back