The Last Happy Hour, book by Charles Joseph Hackett

I have a question please... It's been reported over & over that CPH falsified time sheets...BUT...how? I mean, considering his responsibilities then, wouldn't that have been a salaried position? Or hourly? If salaried, how did he falsify time sheets? I guess I'm confused bc any administrator would have a salary I'd think. No?

I have a question please... It's been reported over & over that CPH falsified time sheets...BUT...how? I mean, considering his responsibilities then, wouldn't that have been a salaried position? Or hourly? If salaried, how did he falsify time sheets? I guess I'm confused bc any administrator would have a salary I'd think. No?

possibly he still had to check in through a system?

Something else... JS that was mentioned previously - is he part of the same crime family from Chicago that is linked with multiple robberies & murders or is it just coincidental that they share the same surname? I'm of Italian heritage & have numerous Joseph, Michael, Paul, etc relatives, so I know the first name is a common theme...just wondering about his surname though. If so, it would be highly ironic that somebody with mob ties to a murderous robbing group would speak out against somebody else. So far I haven't seen a direct connection but wanted to be thorough.

One more thing, does anyone know how HealthGrades and how Vitals gets their background info on doctors?

possibly he still had to check in through a system?

Thank QG. I wonder what the procedure would have been for him to show his time? I mean, time sheet implies a paper track of his hours. If he was expected to handle emergency situations on top of administrative duties, I'd think computer login would be easier to track times. Plus wouldn't there be a magnetic I'd card assigned to him fir the times he'd have to enter the medical establishment? That would also keep track. So if in fact he were a salaried employee, it would be utterly ridiculous to keep a time sheet. Which makes me wonder if he's being accused of falsifying his time OR other people's time sheets...

Something else... JS that was mentioned previously - is he part of the same crime family from Chicago that is linked with multiple robberies & murders or is it just coincidental that they share the same surname? I'm of Italian heritage & have numerous Joseph, Michael, Paul, etc relatives, so I know the first name is a common theme...just wondering about his surname though. If so, it would be highly ironic that somebody with mob ties to a murderous robbing group would speak out against somebody else. So far I haven't seen a direct connection but wanted to be thorough.

One more thing, does anyone know how HealthGrades and how Vitals gets their background info on doctors?

Here is a link to a previous post I did about vitals.com:

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7567853&postcount=691"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #13[/ame]

Link to the thread the above post is in:

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7565432"]NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #13 - Page 28 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Newsday (Melville, NY)
September 13, 1997

Edition: NASSAU AND SUFFOLK
Section: NEWS
Page: A27

Topics:
Index Terms:
OBITUARY.
Charles Hackett, Administrator
Author: John J. Giuffo. STAFF WRITER
Article Text: Charles Joseph Hackett, a retired administrator at Hempstead General Hospital, died Tuesday at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, West Islip. He was 87. Mr. Hackett had been admitted to Good Samaritan Hospital for four days in early August after suffering a stroke. Mr. Hackett had a wide variety of occupations throughout his life, including that of banker, tugboat captain in World War II, hospital comptroller, poet, author and administrator. Mr. Hackett was born in Flatbush in 1909. He attended Columbia University and worked as a banker at Brown Brothers Harriman in Manhattan before enlisting in the Army in 1941. While in the Army, he rose in rank from a private in field artillery to a major in military intelligence. Before leaving the Army, he served as a trial judge advocate and as provost marshal of the 11th Airborne, where he prosecuted German war criminals, among others. Having served in the European theater for four years, he stayed in Biarritz, France, after the war to pursue graduate study at the American University there. He returned home in 1946, attended Columbia's graduate program in hospital administration in 1952, and was soon employed as the comptroller of the Hackensack Medical Center in Hackensack, N.J. It was there during the early 1950s he met his future wife, Maryellen. They were married in February, 1955. She died a year later from complications arising from the birth of their only son, Charles Peter. Mr. Hackett later moved to Marysville, Ohio, where he was the vice president of the Scott Lawn Seed Company. He left Ohio a year later and moved to Ogunquit, Maine, in 1960, where he lived for two years as he wrote a novel, "The Last Happy Hour," about a hospital administrator bringing up a son by himself. "My father would never admit that any of it was anything but fiction," said his son, who lives in Point Lookout. In 1962, Mr. Hackett moved to West Islip, and to Point Lookout in 1969. In 1991, he moved to Oak Beach, where he remained until his death. He was the executive director of Hempstead General Hospital from 1962 to 1986, and a professor of hospital administration at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University from 1974 to 1984. "He was a consummate gentleman. A man of very old traditions," his son said. Mr. Hackett would often attend the yearly Breadloaf Conference in Middlebury, Vt., where he would study poetry with the likes of Robert Frost and Jack Kerouac. He also ran five to 10 miles a day until the age of 80. "He was very dedicated to the quality of health care, both in the region and in the country," said his son, and he often spoke out for equal access to health care for all Americans. He was Hofstra University's Man of the Year for 1977. Mr. Hackett was also president of the Hempstead Chamber of Commerce from 1972 until 1974. In addition to his son, Mr. Hackett is survived by two granddaughters and a grandson. Services were held Wednesday at the O'Shea Funeral Home in Wantagh. Mr. Hackett was buried Thursday at the Maryrest Cemetery in Mahwah, N.J.
Copyright (c) 1997 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 964427837

when it comes to the authenticity of this obituary, you may want to read my previous post.

BBM, How does one who is in the United States Army become a tugboat captain??? His specialty was field artillery, then military intelligence.

Something ain't right here.:what:

I've been reading this thread (along with more sleuthing) for the past couple days. I felt like I should say hello before I get into posting info I've gathered. Great finds on the Newsday pieces found! I've enjoyed reading your opinions, the basis for those opinions, questions and disagreements on this thread!

I've been reading this thread (along with more sleuthing) for the past couple days. I felt like I should say hello before I get into posting info I've gathered. Great finds on the Newsday pieces found! I've enjoyed reading your opinions, the basis for those opinions, questions and disagreements on this thread!

Welcome to the party pal.

We have it all here. From innocent chit chat to deep rooted political scandals. Enjoy your stay.

I'm afraid you will have to check the deceased's military service record if you want the truth as the author is a confirmed pathological liar.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

I did find a BIRLS death file on the deceased. It got me looking into the other info in the obit to confirm or deny claims by the obit's author. I've been unsuccessful in finding any marriage/divorce records for CPH's mother (even using her maiden name). It wouldn't surprise me if CPH's mother was never married and there may be a fabricated story given to the doctor (considering his father also enjoys telling stories). Has anyone been able to find an obit on her from NJ? I'm rather interested on getting the circumstances around her death. If they married in '55, CPH was born in '56, then she died from complications from the birth a YEAR later? That's awfully suspicious to me considering Sr was a doctor and she a nurse... and in her early 20s.

I did find a BIRLS death file on the deceased. It got me looking into the other info in the obit to confirm or deny claims by the obit's author. I've been unsuccessful in finding any marriage/divorce records for CPH's mother (even using her maiden name). It wouldn't surprise me if CPH's mother was never married and there may be a fabricated story given to the doctor (considering his father also enjoys telling stories). Has anyone been able to find an obit on her from NJ? I'm rather interested on getting the circumstances around her death. If they married in '55, CPH was born in '56, then she died from complications from the birth a YEAR later? That's awfully suspicious to me considering Sr was a doctor and she a nurse... and in her early 20s.

Sr. (cjh) was not a doctor and his S.O. who died wasn't a nurse that I know of. The interesting circumstances around her death IMO are that the father (and husband?) who was a hospital administrator refused an autopsy even though the doctors couldn't determine the cause of death.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there are unanswered questions that are somewhat relevant and may become much more relevant in the future. I find it "curious" (that word again) that a loving husband whose wife died a week after childbirth possibly from complications refused the doctors request for an autopsy, especially when the man was a combat veteran (ptsd?) who wrote, "like soldiers who die in battle, woman who die from childbirth go straight to heaven".

Additionally, and contrary to claims, CJH isn't actually on record as being buried at Maryrest Cemetery in Mahwah, NJ. SCPD, get out your shovels again I think you may have an illegitimate vet's memorial in and around the OB area.

queue spooky theremin music now...

Attachments

• where is CJH.jpg
    where is CJH.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 28
Sr. (cjh) was not a doctor and his S.O. who died wasn't a nurse that I know of. The interesting circumstances around her death IMO are that the father (and husband?) who was a hospital administrator refused an autopsy even though the doctors couldn't determine the cause of death.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there are unanswered questions that are somewhat relevant and may become much more relevant in the future. I find it "curious" (that word again) that a loving husband whose wife died a week after childbirth possibly from complications refused the doctors request for an autopsy, especially when the man was a combat veteran (ptsd?) who wrote, "like soldiers who die in battle, woman who die from childbirth go straight to heaven". Additionally, and contrary to claims, one of them isn't actually on record as being buried at Maryrest Cemetery in Mahwah, NJ.

Thanks for the clarification! The obit states his wife died a year after childbirth, which would coincide with the one buried in Mahwah, NJ. Would it not? Have you found info otherwise? I would love to find the identity of CPHs mother (info on circumstances of her death, her life, education, etc). It may shed some light on the case.

Thanks for the clarification! The obit states his wife died a year after childbirth, which would coincide with the one buried in Mahwah, NJ. Would it not? Have you found info otherwise? I would love to find the identity of CPHs mother (info on circumstances of her death, her life, education, etc). It may shed some light on the case.

I updated my post, please refresh.

I updated my post, please refresh.

That's the same info I had found on CJH's wife. I had no information that would validate the claim made in the obit that CJH was buried there. I may have the correct info, but I'll have to scroll through my screenshots to find it.

Jan 24, 1956 is CPH's DOB. The deceased in Mahwah says 1956 was the year of death. Obviously I was tired while reading CJH's obit because now I see that it states she died a year later... after marriage in 1955. I haven't been able to find an obit on her, though.

Also, doesn't CJH book state they were never married, yet the obit states they married in 1955?

I have had friends who have died in obvious and tragic ways. Some of their parents did not have an autopsies done. But it was obvious how they died. Self inclicted gun shot wound was one of them.

Now, my example is a little extreme but can you see my rationale and possible reasoning for an autopsy to find cause of death? My friend did it with a 12 gauge and left numerous suicide notes to different people (he left mine on my windshield wiper). No need to cut into his torso to try to determine cause of death. Like I said, this may be extreme but I am sure you can see what I mean.

I have had friends who have died in obvious and tragic ways. Some of their parents did not have an autopsies done. But it was obvious how they died. Self inclicted gun shot wound was one of them.

Now, my example is a little extreme but can you see my rationale and possible reasoning for an autopsy to find cause of death? My friend did it with a 12 gauge and left numerous suicide notes to different people (he left mine on my windshield wiper). No need to cut into his torso to try to determine cause of death. Like I said, this may be extreme but I am sure you can see what I mean.

I understand not needing/having an autopsy done. I don't understand how a young, first time, mother who dies of complications from child birth doesn't have an obit. I understand they can be expensive, but someone must have loved her or were close enough to her that it was worth memorializing her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost
Back