The Last Happy Hour, book by Charles Joseph Hackett

This is The Sydney Morning Herald July 27, 1989, courtesy of Google News archives. CPH was actually 33 at the time, and the article says he was 40. Maybe he wasn't completely honest about his age? I don't know if this is THE CPH, just seems like a minor probability. There's mention of Amputee Games in Japan.

Attachments

• Image-1264117447.jpg
    Image-1264117447.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 44
Newsday (Melville, NY)
September 13, 1997

Edition: NASSAU AND SUFFOLK
Section: NEWS
Page: A27

Topics:
Index Terms:
OBITUARY.
Charles Hackett, Administrator
Author: John J. Giuffo. STAFF WRITER
Article Text: Charles Joseph Hackett, a retired administrator at Hempstead General Hospital, died Tuesday at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, West Islip. He was 87. Mr. Hackett had been admitted to Good Samaritan Hospital for four days in early August after suffering a stroke. Mr. Hackett had a wide variety of occupations throughout his life, including that of banker, tugboat captain in World War II, hospital comptroller, poet, author and administrator. Mr. Hackett was born in Flatbush in 1909. He attended Columbia University and worked as a banker at Brown Brothers Harriman in Manhattan before enlisting in the Army in 1941. While in the Army, he rose in rank from a private in field artillery to a major in military intelligence. Before leaving the Army, he served as a trial judge advocate and as provost marshal of the 11th Airborne, where he prosecuted German war criminals, among others. Having served in the European theater for four years, he stayed in Biarritz, France, after the war to pursue graduate study at the American University there. He returned home in 1946, attended Columbia's graduate program in hospital administration in 1952, and was soon employed as the comptroller of the Hackensack Medical Center in Hackensack, N.J. It was there during the early 1950s he met his future wife, Maryellen. They were married in February, 1955. She died a year later from complications arising from the birth of their only son, Charles Peter. Mr. Hackett later moved to Marysville, Ohio, where he was the vice president of the Scott Lawn Seed Company. He left Ohio a year later and moved to Ogunquit, Maine, in 1960, where he lived for two years as he wrote a novel, "The Last Happy Hour," about a hospital administrator bringing up a son by himself. "My father would never admit that any of it was anything but fiction," said his son, who lives in Point Lookout. In 1962, Mr. Hackett moved to West Islip, and to Point Lookout in 1969. In 1991, he moved to Oak Beach, where he remained until his death. He was the executive director of Hempstead General Hospital from 1962 to 1986, and a professor of hospital administration at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University from 1974 to 1984. "He was a consummate gentleman. A man of very old traditions," his son said. Mr. Hackett would often attend the yearly Breadloaf Conference in Middlebury, Vt., where he would study poetry with the likes of Robert Frost and Jack Kerouac. He also ran five to 10 miles a day until the age of 80. "He was very dedicated to the quality of health care, both in the region and in the country," said his son, and he often spoke out for equal access to health care for all Americans. He was Hofstra University's Man of the Year for 1977. Mr. Hackett was also president of the Hempstead Chamber of Commerce from 1972 until 1974. In addition to his son, Mr. Hackett is survived by two granddaughters and a grandson. Services were held Wednesday at the O'Shea Funeral Home in Wantagh. Mr. Hackett was buried Thursday at the Maryrest Cemetery in Mahwah, N.J.
Copyright (c) 1997 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 964427837
when it comes to the authenticity of this obituary, you may want to read my previous post.

We know of his granddaughter, the artist/ranger (ME H) and his snow boarding/sportsman grandson (CPH Jr) but who was/is the other granddaughter. Am I forgetting someone or does she no longer exist or was she/is she someone else's child? (As in, the daughter of a half sibling to the good doc?)

We know of his granddaughter, the artist/ranger (ME H) and his snow boarding/sportsman grandson (CPH Jr) but who was/is the other granddaughter. Am I forgetting someone or does she no longer exist or was she/is she someone else's child? (As in, the daughter of a half sibling to the good doc?)

CPH and his wife have two daughters and one son. They are their own biological children.

Sr. (cjh) was not a doctor and his S.O. who died wasn't a nurse that I know of. The interesting circumstances around her death IMO are that the father (and husband?) who was a hospital administrator refused an autopsy even though the doctors couldn't determine the cause of death.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there are unanswered questions that are somewhat relevant and may become much more relevant in the future. I find it "curious" (that word again) that a loving husband whose wife died a week after childbirth possibly from complications refused the doctors request for an autopsy, especially when the man was a combat veteran (ptsd?) who wrote, "like soldiers who die in battle, woman who die from childbirth go straight to heaven".

Additionally, and contrary to claims, CJH isn't actually on record as being buried at Maryrest Cemetery in Mahwah, NJ. SCPD, get out your shovels again I think you may have an illegitimate vet's memorial in and around the OB area.

queue spooky theremin music now...

There are far too many conflicting statements between the book, the obit, and reality that makes it hard to decipher which is which.

If they were never married, the plot in Manwah, NJ, "Mary Ellen Hackett: b. 1931 d. 1956" wouldn't make sense that it is the same person.

On the other hand, CPH was born Jan. 1956, so it would make sense she is the correct mother of CPH.

Although the obit states CJH is buried in Manwah, and we know he is not there, MEH is there, so maybe that was CPH's piece of truth?

If this is the correct MEH, that would make CJH (CPH's father) 22 years her senior. At the time of their supposed marriage, CJH would have been 46 and MEH would have been 24.

If it is NOT the correct MEH, where is she?

There are far too many conflicting statements between the book, the obit, and reality that makes it hard to decipher which is which.

If they were never married, the plot in Manwah, NJ, "Mary Ellen Hackett: b. 1931 d. 1956" wouldn't make sense that it is the same person.

On the other hand, CPH was born Jan. 1956, so it would make sense she is the correct mother of CPH.

Although the obit states CJH is buried in Manwah, and we know he is not there, MEH is there, so maybe that was CPH's piece of truth?

If this is the correct MEH, that would make CJH (CPH's father) 22 years her senior. At the time of their supposed marriage, CJH would have been 46 and MEH would have been 24.

If it is NOT the correct MEH, where is she?

You need to verify that you have the right person, before putting anymore information here. Please be sure who you are talking about.

Thanks,

Salem

Newsday (Melville, NY)
November 24, 1997
Page: A04

Topics:
Index Terms:
SUFFOLK COUNTY.C PETER HACKETT.EMERGENCY.COUNSELING.

Suffolk's Trauma Care Bruised / Disputes still swirl around ex- director
Author: Elizabeth Moore. STAFF WRITER

Article Text:
...........snipped..........
"That version of his departure is "odd," Bradley said, considering Hackett asked to keep his job on a part-time basis, without pay if necessary, in combination with the Central Suffolk job. She said no."

Good job slug you are on the right snail trail now, just keep reading Newsday until November, 24 1997 when you will find the above article and quote where his boss in detail states that he was "let go". "She" was Acting Health Commissioner Clare Bradley. Are you going to accuse Bradley of lying? One of them must be telling an untruth. Funny how 2 months after the article where CPH lied and said he resigned the reporters dug deeper and uncovered he was let go. Those reporters seem to keep uncovering CPH's lies from Sept 97, April 2011, .....

So he WAS fired, just not the year I was thinking. I'm not good at remembering dates.

Newsday (Melville, NY)

November 24, 1997

Topics:
Index Terms:

Article Text:

Five hours after TWA Flight 800 exploded off Long Island's South Shore, Suffolk County's former emergency medical director said, he asked why the trauma counseling team he had called hadn't arrived.

Dr. C. Peter Hackett said he was told his order had been countermanded by David Fischler, the county's fire, rescue and emergency services commissioner. Furious, Hackett said, he got police to let the team past roadblocks, and in the next several days they debriefed hundreds of traumatized recovery workers in a marathon effort that won the county's emergency medical system a state award Nov. 15.

Fischler, who was in overall command of the scene in those first hours, said he only wanted the counselors to stand by until he could take charge of a chaotic situation. His communications director, Miles Quinn, admitted he may have "miscommunicated" Fischler's order but denies Hackett's account of the conversation between them - "I never spoke to him."

"I think he did a great job," said Dr. Mark Henry, chairman of emergency medicine at University Medical Center in Stony Brook. "He was a patient advocate . . . a physician who was willing to get involved."

"He was an innovator and a progressive person," said Roy Fries, president of the Babylon Central Fire Alarm system. "Maybe the county was going too slow."

<modnsip>

Hackett's departure was the culmination of two years of increasingly ugly conflict
that worsened after Hibberd, his strongest ally, was pushed out last spring in a dispute with County Executive Robert Gaffney. By the end, officials confirm, Fischler was meeting with senior county officials to air allegations that Hackett had abused his cellular phone, falsified his time sheets, and even caused spinal injuries to three men he helped to rescue from the wreckage of a caved-in water tank at Long Island MacArthur Airport.

<modsnip>

- Defibrillators: By August of this year, Hackett was complaining to Bradley about a "dreadful lack of cooperation" from volunteers in his highly praised, county-financed program to equip Suffolk police with defibrillators. The program aims to speed help to heart-attack victims in the critical first minutes; by the time Hackett left, some 60 cars were so equipped.

<modsnip>
Caption:
Newsday File Photo by John H. Cornell Jr.-Dr. C. Peter Hackett,

Record Number: 963248187

This article is one that really shows his considerable lies and the backlash that followed.

One thing I gotta give CPH credit for is the defibrilators. That was a good idea.

This article is one that really shows his considerable lies and the backlash that followed.

One thing I gotta give CPH credit for is the defibrilators. That was a good idea.

You are reading that article with the intentions of looking for negativity about CPH. Try reading that article again, but this time try looking for only negativity about Dave Fischler.

Once again, unless you were there, you cannot possibly know how damaging politics can be and how much they can distort the truth.

You are reading that article with the intentions of looking for negativity about CPH. Try reading that article again, but this time try looking for only negativity about Dave Fischler.

Once again, unless you were there, you cannot possibly know how damaging politics can be and how much they can distort the truth.

I read between the politics because they do distort the truth. What that shows is CPH's tendency to embellish the truth in his lies.

Which brings us back to this case and his lies about treating SG and his phone calls to MG.

Newsday (Melville, NY)

November 24, 1997

Topics:
Index Terms:

Article Text:

Five hours after TWA Flight 800 exploded off Long Island's South Shore, Suffolk County's former emergency medical director said, he asked why the trauma counseling team he had called hadn't arrived.

Dr. C. Peter Hackett said he was told his order had been countermanded by David Fischler, the county's fire, rescue and emergency services commissioner. Furious, Hackett said, he got police to let the team past roadblocks, and in the next several days they debriefed hundreds of traumatized recovery workers in a marathon effort that won the county's emergency medical system a state award Nov. 15.

Fischler, who was in overall command of the scene in those first hours, said he only wanted the counselors to stand by until he could take charge of a chaotic situation. His communications director, Miles Quinn, admitted he may have "miscommunicated" Fischler's order but denies Hackett's account of the conversation between them - "I never spoke to him."

"I think he did a great job," said Dr. Mark Henry, chairman of emergency medicine at University Medical Center in Stony Brook. "He was a patient advocate . . . a physician who was willing to get involved."

"He was an innovator and a progressive person," said Roy Fries, president of the Babylon Central Fire Alarm system. "Maybe the county was going too slow."

<modnsip>

Hackett's departure was the culmination of two years of increasingly ugly conflict
that worsened after Hibberd, his strongest ally, was pushed out last spring in a dispute with County Executive Robert Gaffney. By the end, officials confirm, Fischler was meeting with senior county officials to air allegations that Hackett had abused his cellular phone, falsified his time sheets, and even caused spinal injuries to three men he helped to rescue from the wreckage of a caved-in water tank at Long Island MacArthur Airport.

<modsnip>

- Defibrillators: By August of this year, Hackett was complaining to Bradley about a "dreadful lack of cooperation" from volunteers in his highly praised, county-financed program to equip Suffolk police with defibrillators. The program aims to speed help to heart-attack victims in the critical first minutes; by the time Hackett left, some 60 cars were so equipped.

<modsnip>
Caption:
Newsday File Photo by John H. Cornell Jr.-Dr. C. Peter Hackett,

Record Number: 963248187
There are ALWAYS two sides to politics... ALWAYS.

In this article, every rumor is countered with facts to show they were false rumors.

In this article, every rumor is countered with facts to show they were false rumors.

Agreed.

So what do you make about the claims from locals and MG that CPH said he treated SG, but to others he denied saying so? What about the lies he didn't call MG, but then admits it?

I gotta say the defibs. is a great idea. I know of four kids who died on the Lacrosse and baseball fields as a result of being hit in the chest by a ball. The energy of the ball hitting the chest is not just an impact, it sends an electric pulse. The pulse at a certain time during the heart cycle (I think it is in between "beats") knocks it out of wack and shuts it down. All it takes is a quick shot from a defrib. and the person is back to normal. Without the machine, they lay and die.....terrible terribe thimg especiially when the fix is so easy. After I graduated High School there was a kid from West Islip that died and a kid up at UMASS Amherst that died and a kid from Comseqogue. The goalie was hit by a shot, the kid from UMASS was standing on the sideline when a shot went astray and hit him, and a catcher was hit in the chest by a pitch and a batter was hit in the chest by a pitch. Terrible. We did not really know about it when we were in High School.

I just wish CPH would be straight and honest with himself and everybody else. I think like all of us he has a good points and bad points in his personality.

I think he is involved with SG's death and I believe MP plays a strong part as well.

Assuming CPH has a lawyer I would think now would be the time CPH went to LE and tried to make a deal, reduced charges for CPH to testify against MP.

It could be a win win for CPH.

MOO

I just wish CPH would be straight and honest with himself and everybody else. I think like all of us he has a good points and bad points in his personality.

I think he is involved with SG's death and I believe MP plays a strong part as well.

Assuming CPH has a lawyer I would think now would be the time CPH went to LE and tried to make a deal, reduced charges for CPH to testify against MP.

It could be a win win for CPH.

MOO

If, like in these cases he elaborated, he stated to others that he treated SG just to make himself like a hero, I think it is far too late to retract those statements. I think even if he did, it would be hard to believe. :/ I don't think he's stupid, but even before SG's body was found, he still put himself in the middle of a missing persons case... why? To sound like a hero?

At least!
Checks and balances is good, but throw politics in the mix and it can get downright vicious.

If, like in these cases he elaborated, he stated to others that he treated SG just to make himself like a hero, I think it is far too late to retract those statements. I think even if he did, it would be hard to believe. :/ I don't think he's stupid, but even before SG's body was found, he still put himself in the middle of a missing persons case... why? To sound like a hero?

Whatever his motivation, I believe CPH tried to do what he thought was right at the time. Things swirled out of control and CPH began to look like the fall guy.

Imagine that CPH did try to render assistance that evening to SG, and released her to MP with instructions for MP to take SG to rehab or emergency or a clinic. As a good doctor, he calls MG to say he sent SG to rehab.

MP returns two days later to tell CPH that SG has died, and say nothing or MP will incriminate CPH. CPH now realizes MP can make it look like CPH is criminally responsible, and is terrified, because all the good he has accomplished in his life will be swept away.

CPH knows from his police contacts that they do not consider him a POI, but the John Ray law suit is making CPH uncomfortable.

I can only suggest CPH goes to LE and does a deal before he loses control of events.

MOO

I'm still not willing to convict anyone of our usual suspects here in our web jury room with the little info we have, but I definitely believe that their questionable actions should not be dismissed. I am still under the impression where there is smoke there is fire.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back