Tupac Shakur murder in Las Vegas, 1996 *arrest in 2023*

Duane "Keffe D" Davis, the suspect accused of orchestrating the 1996 drive-by killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, pleaded not guilty to murder during his arraignment on Thursday.

Davis' arraignment had been delayed twice as he sorted out his representation.

Davis -- who was handcuffed and dressed in a blue jumpsuit -- said in Las Vegas court on Thursday that he had not retained his own counsel. He was appointed a public defender and waived his right to a speedy trial. He is next scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 7.

Tupac Shakur murder suspect Duane Davis pleads not guilty during twice-delayed arraignment

November 2, 2023, 1:03 PM

Tupac murder suspect Duane Keith 'Keffe D' Davis is now claiming he made up his previously aired story about the legendary rapper's 1996 death.

Davis, 60, was arrested this past September - after boasting about his alleged role in the Las Vegas killing in a series of videos and a supposedly self-penned book.

Davis was allegedly inside the car suspected of firing the fatal shot at the then 24-year-old Shakur - and is currently facing a trial slated for June 3.
[snip]
In a 33-page bail application filed this week, he insisted he only spoke about Shakur's shooting for entertainment purposes and to profit from the now decades-old case.
[snip]
The self-described gang member's lawyers wrote: 'The most compelling evidence that Duane was not involved in the murder of Shakur comes from the mouth of the surviving victim and only living eyewitness, Marion "Suge" Knight.

'Knight is currently incarcerated in a California prison,' the bail request continues, mentioning the 58-year-old's recent sentence to 28 years in prison for mowing down and killing a Compton businessman in 2015.

The attorneys go on to cite how Knight - once one of the most feared names in the music industry - was interviewed over the phone by TMZ after Davis' September arrest, and told the tabloid his rival was innocent.
Tupac suspect claims he made up story about the rapper's death

Tupac murder suspect Duane Keith 'Keffe D' Davis is now claiming he made up his previously aired story about the legendary rapper's 1996 death.

Davis, 60, was arrested this past September - after boasting about his alleged role in the Las Vegas killing in a series of videos and a supposedly self-penned book.

Davis was allegedly inside the car suspected of firing the fatal shot at the then 24-year-old Shakur - and is currently facing a trial slated for June 3.
[snip]
In a 33-page bail application filed this week, he insisted he only spoke about Shakur's shooting for entertainment purposes and to profit from the now decades-old case.
[snip]
The self-described gang member's lawyers wrote: 'The most compelling evidence that Duane was not involved in the murder of Shakur comes from the mouth of the surviving victim and only living eyewitness, Marion "Suge" Knight.

'Knight is currently incarcerated in a California prison,' the bail request continues, mentioning the 58-year-old's recent sentence to 28 years in prison for mowing down and killing a Compton businessman in 2015.

The attorneys go on to cite how Knight - once one of the most feared names in the music industry - was interviewed over the phone by TMZ after Davis' September arrest, and told the tabloid his rival was innocent.
Tupac suspect claims he made up story about the rapper's death

I certainly wouldn't take Suge Knight's word on ANYTHING. Also, Suge is in prison for murder so I don't think he'd want to give evidence or testimony against Keffe D, especially in one of the most well known unsolved murders of the past 50 years. That information would surely make it inside and make his life a living hell for the next 28 years.

I also don't think LE brought charges all these years later with no evidence other than him speaking about the case for "entertainment purposes". JMO

I certainly wouldn't take Suge Knight's word on ANYTHING. Also, Suge is in prison for murder so I don't think he'd want to give evidence or testimony against Keffe D, especially in one of the most well known unsolved murders of the past 50 years. That information would surely make it inside and make his life a living hell for the next 28 years.

I also don't think LE brought charges all these years later with no evidence other than him speaking about the case for "entertainment purposes". JMO
yeah, I wouldn't trust Sug' any further than I could throw him. Agree, there must be more for LE to have finally brought charges. Keffe's been hinting at his own involvement pretty publicly for years.

Edit: I always thought Sug' was responsible for Tupac's death until Keefe started claiming he was there and hinting at involvement.

Last edited:
yeah, I wouldn't trust Sug' any further than I could throw him. Agree, there must be more for LE to have finally brought charges. Keffe's been hinting at his own involvement pretty publicly for years.

Edit: I always thought Sug' was responsible for Tupac's death until Keefe started claiming he was there and hinting at involvement.

I always thought he had something to do with it as well, even if indirectly. I hope it goes to trial. I'm looking forward to it and hoping cameras will be allowed in the courtroom.

Authorities are investigating jailhouse phone calls from the man charged with orchestrating the killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, after hearing remarks they say indicate he might have been conspiring to harm witnesses cooperating with the prosecution, law enforcement officials tell ABC News.

Wed, January 10, 2024 at 10:50 AM EST

Pending posting bail, he remains in the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas, where he's been held since his arrest on Sept. 29, 2023. His trial date is set for June 3. He has pleaded not guilty.

If he can afford 750,000 for bail, surely he can afford to get his own attorneys? Why should the state of Nevada be on the hook for him? I thought he had his own until I watched Crime Talk with Scott Reicsh.

I think that "Sugar Bear" may have had something to do with Tupac's murder. I think Suge may have felt that Tupac may have disrespected him somehow. Everyone knew that Tupac was starting his own record label, but that would be under Death Row Records, so Suge would still get paid. Suge did owe Tupac a lot of money at the time of the murder, and I think that was a bone of contention between them. What better way to off Tupac than to hire a Crip to do the job, since Suge is a Blood?

LAS VEGAS – A former Los Angeles-area gang leader jailed in Las Vegas in the 1996 killing of hip-hop music icon Tupac Shakur has hired a private attorney who pointed Monday to what he expects will be a historic murder trial.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis dismissed court-appointed lawyers and hired veteran criminal defense lawyer Carl Arnold, who said in a statement that his office was "honored by the opportunity to represent Mr. Duane Davis in what will be one of the most historic trials of the century."

Read on...

Updated: January 22, 2024 at 4:15 PM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjane99