GUILTY TX - Riley 'Baby Grace' Sawyers, 2, brutally murdered, Spring, 24 July 2007

she did not say, except they have looked at her, and she said keep looking. that was all that was said. very short

They are currently doing tests with similar boxes to see if it could have been tossed from the Galveston bridge and currents carried it to the location where it was found. (from Houston area to Galveston Island proper.) The place where the little girl was found is a tiny island itself. She was most likely tossed from a boat or from the bridge itself.

The Causeway is no where near Houston if that is what you are talking about. And wreckers have free tow rights to any vehicle that stops on the causeway as to do so endangers others. So at night they sit on either side waiting.

shipman_deonna_n.jpg
311xInlineGallery.jpg

I don't see how they can readily discount this one.

She did not say to me that it was ruled out, she just said keep looking. and thank you, goodbye. the whole conversation maybe lasted 2 mins.

Probably a total waste of time, but I emailed the information from here about Deonna to AMW. Haven't heard anything back yet.

The Causeway is no where near Houston if that is what you are talking about. And wreckers have free tow rights to any vehicle that stops on the causeway as to do so endangers others. So at night they sit on either side waiting.

Well, froggier, I would disagree, the causeway is south-ish of Houston, if anyone is not familiar with the area as obviously you are, then that is the nearest point of reference. There's about a forty minute area between Houston and Galveston, if that, that is neither one nor the other, but I don't agree that the causeway is no where near Houston. I-45 from 59 goes straight into Galveston, with plenty of cheap motels near Hobby Airport along 45.

I personally also think anyone pulling off the side of the bridge and throwing something off would be rather noticeable, but I defer to the police on that, if they think it worth trying to replicate.

Latest article not sure if it has been posted....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5271222.html

I posted it on the Madeleine thread since it said in the article she hasn't been ruled out completely and got everyone over there all upset for even suggesting that I was wondering if it could possibly be maddie.....I stepped on everyone's toes over there......I said I was sorry and then deleted my message over there.....I hope I don't get that reaction here.....whew.......

Kel

dimples37398, where did you step on toes???? The link over to the Houston Chronicles site had peopel who essentially seemed to have the same sentiments as us, i.e., let US have the person responsible instead of LE. Jellogirl over there even suggested the sketch should be posted all over the world. The Madeleine case should be looked at in terms of this case, as should every case of a small child with blondish hair who is missing. I personally think she looks a lot more like Deonna Shipman than Maddie, but experience has proven that ALL "close" matches should be examined. Dimples, don't let anyone make you feel bad for caring enough for trying to find a match. That is what WE do. What is who WE are. :blowkiss:

I still don't think Maddie can be completely ruled out unless they do DNA tests.
We have no idea what really happened to Maddie. If she was abducted, no one has any idea who took her. Why not an American who took her back to the USA? Someone really evil who did unspeakable things to her and then killed her and put her in a storage container and dropped her in Galveston Bay? And remember, Maddie WAS still 3 when she was taken, only about to turn 4.

I think they need to rule Maddie out scientifically, as well as Deonna.

Here is a bit more specific information about where Baby Grace was found:

"The body was found on a marshy sandbar in an area known as Greens Cut near Greens Lake, where there is a break in the barrier separating West Galveston Bay from the Intracoastal Waterway, he said.
Tuttoilmondo estimated that the cut is about five miles southwest of the Galveston Causeway.
Investigators in the sheriff's office are studying Galveston Bay's tides to determine the possible drift of the plastic storage container from another location, Tuttoilmondo said.
"I don't think there is any indication that where she was found is where she was killed," he said. "That's a foregone conclusion.""

Taken from this link:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5266950.html

Well, froggier, I would disagree, the causeway is south-ish of Houston, if anyone is not familiar with the area as obviously you are, then that is the nearest point of reference. There's about a forty minute area between Houston and Galveston, if that, that is neither one nor the other, but I don't agree that the causeway is no where near Houston. I-45 from 59 goes straight into Galveston, with plenty of cheap motels near Hobby Airport along 45.

I personally also think anyone pulling off the side of the bridge and throwing something off would be rather noticeable, but I defer to the police on that, if they think it worth trying to replicate.

Yes and you pass several towns and along the way. It isn't exactly next door. I was mostly wondering if that was the bridge you were referring to but realize it couldn't be because of location so it doesn't matter anyway. Sorry if I said something that offended you.

I wonder if investigators have had any luck tracing the origins of the Sterlite container. I know that Wal-Mart has a central computer that tracks every purchase made. If a container of that size was sold in any of the Wal-Mart stores recently, maybe there's footage of the transaction.

Oh wow, another mother who understands what it's like to have a small baby walking about :) My oldest started toddling around at 8.5 months when he weighed a few ounces over 15lb. Yes, creepy! So odd to see his tiny & skinny body moving like that! (he was a late talker though). He is nearly 10 now and finally hit 65lb., but those first 4 years were very slow.

Back on topic, I agree with others that Baby Grace was probably abused by her family, or killed in an accident - whoever put her in the box obviously cared very much for her; even her shoes look new (I assume someone bought new clothes to 'bury' her in). I seriously doubt she's Madeline McCann, that's a little far fetched, but anythings possible.

Marie, Creepy but funny at the same time. My daughter spoke in complete sentences at 11 months and looked like a 6th month old. People would look at me and say " tell me she didn't just say that."

I agree this dear girl is the victim of some form of abuse be it by a family member or a stranger.

This may be totally insignificant, but it keeps popping in my mind. The factory that makes those Sterilite containers is located in Waxahachie, Tx., which is just south of Dallas, a couple of hours northwest of Houston. Like I said, probably doesn't matter, but when I first saw it on the news, I thought about that connection.

The body was found on a marshy sandbar in an area known as Greens Cut near Greens Lake, where there is a break in the barrier separating West Galveston Bay from the Intracoastal Waterway, he said. Tuttoilmondo estimated that the cut is about five miles southwest of the Galveston Causeway.
My husband's best friend lives in a bay house that directly faces Greens Cut. I am very familiar with this area of the bay, known as West Galveston Bay, as we have fished here many times. Google maps has an excellent satellite image of the area, type in "Tiki Island, Galveston" but stay in the map view at first. Tiki Island is right at the causeway bridge (I-45). Zoom out 1-2 times & you can see Greens Lake to the southwest of Tiki Island. Switch to satellite view & you can see the sandbar(s) where she was found very clearly. The zoom feature is better on Google Earth if you have that, but Greens Lake is not marked there like it is on Google maps.

I grew up in Houston & my parents retired to Galveston about 15 years ago so I am all too familiar with that un-scenic stretch of I-45 from Houston to there as well as the causeway bridge. Froggierintexas was correct, there are no shoulders on the bridge & it's illegal to pull over. Tow trucks & police cars are usually parked on both sides of the bridge for this reason, which also makes it a lovely speed trap as well. I suppose someone throwing a large container off the bridge could happen, maybe even while in a moving vehicle, but I just can’t see it. Also, Galveston Bay is an average of 7-9 feet deep. The bay between the causeway & Greens Lake is super shallow & there are sandbars everywhere in between, boaters not familiar with the channels are always getting stuck. I can't wrap my head around the container being thrown from the causeway bridge & floating to where it was found. I would think that the container would wind up on one of the sandbars before Greens Lake if that were the case, but then again I am not an expert on the tides. Also, the causeway bridge is rather high. I’m not an expert on plastic storage bins either, but how sturdy could the locks & lid on this thing be that it wouldn’t break open upon impact with the water from that height?

Now there is the possibility that the container entered the west bay via the West end of Galveston Island. This entrance from the Gulf of Mexico is known as San Luis Pass and there is a bridge there as well that connects Galveston Island & the mainland. This is not a populated area & would be the more a more obvious entrance point IMO, although again I am not a tide expert. I wonder if the container were disposed of in the Gulf of Mexico & not the bay, if it could float through San Luis Pass & end up where it did. That being said, the San Luis Bridge is not high at all, that inlet is not very wide (maybe 2000 ft across) & there are always tons of people fishing from the beaches on both sides.

That had me wondering too. Trying to wrap my head around where it could be thrown from. I haven't been out on the San Luis Pass Bridge for years , but at one time they had a toll booth and then I went through one day and it was removed. Do you know if they ever replaced it?

I wonder about many things. Like Sterlite containers are sold in Dollar Stores too. So I wonder if it could be pin pointed. Especially with Galveston County Pd in charge.

I know if you go to the areas left and right of the causeway prior to entering the causeway to go to Galveston, there are houses, but one would be noticeable driving those neighborhoods.
It is easy enough to stop on either side for 'fishing'. But at the bait camp on the Galveston side, the people that own it live there so someone is around at night. I know we used to sit and watch people at night when I was a teen. You wouldn't believe the things we saw. Well, maybe you would. But for a good Baptist girl, stuck in Catholic School, it was shocking to me then.

I also thought about it being tossed in the Gulf. I know there are plenty of places that you can toss something and remain unseen, but I just can't see someone coming from Houston to drop something in the water or it floating from Houston. I just can't wrap my mind around it. And I could be totally wrong. I have been many times in my life. And I am sure I will be many more times before I die.

Latest article not sure if it has been posted....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5271222.html

I posted it on the Madeleine thread since it said in the article she hasn't been ruled out completely and got everyone over there all upset for even suggesting that I was wondering if it could possibly be maddie.....I stepped on everyone's toes over there......I said I was sorry and then deleted my message over there.....I hope I don't get that reaction here.....whew.......

Kel

Awwww Dimples! It could be Maddie. Every possibility has to be checked out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freedomfinders
Back