UK UK - Joshua Clayton, 23, homicide or ?, Tresco Island, Isles of Scilly, 13 Sept 2015

ash_uk@somebody

Verified family member - Joshua Clayton discussion
Reaction score
Hello

I am posting about a personal case. My younger brother (then 23) went missing after attending a privately held party on a 2 mile square island. Josh worked for a company that owns this island on a forever lease and they operated a tourism and hotel business. It was Sept 2015.

He was found nearly two weeks later on an adjacent island (uninhabited) washed on the rocks.

This case quickly brought about much media attention locally (Television) and nationally (Newspaper and even some major TV news).

We had a long wait to get to inquest. It was then thrown out because of a witness testimony.

Another longer wait before the second inquest, some three years later. No witnesses allowed at the second inquest.

As a family we have no answers, only questions. The police were really obstructive and didn’t really investigate anything at all. It was so frustrating.

I have put together a website that you can find easily (link below or Google “somebodyknows Tresco Josh Clayton”). There are two pages, the first outlines some of the case. The other page goes into some detail about the witness testimony that halted the first inquest. There is a lot more I have for this witness that I have not published in full.

Shortly before Covid struck I started to begin my own fresh investigation and have gathered a large amount of the statements together into a spreadsheet to compare ALL witness testimony. I think I might publish this spreadsheet if there is interest in the case.

https://www.somebodyknows.co.uk

I’m happy to discuss my experiences living through this ordeal on this forum.

Thanks for taking any time to read this and anything you dig into further. The case is potentially quite huge, I could write a whole book on it!

Welcome to the WS forum, ash_uk@somebody. I am very sorry to hear about your brother.

I am bringing forward some links and msm references about Josh’s case:

St Mary's lifeboat recovers body near Tresco in search for Josh Clayton
Sept. 24, 2015

https://www.stjohnschambers.co.uk/news/tom-leeper-advises-at-inquest-of-josh-clayton
Jan. 30, 2017

Man's body found on Isles of Scilly after party, inquest hears
Dec. 10, 2018

Josh Clayton Tresco death: Bloodied T-shirt not examined
Dec. 11, 2018

Josh Clayton: Tresco death was accident, inquest concludes
Dec. 12, 2018

Family vow to fight on after accident verdict of son's Scilly death
Dec. 12, 2018

https://www.thisisscillynews.com/si...osh-claytons-mum-appeals-for-tresco-witnesses
Dec. 13, 2018

Josh Clayton's mother blames police for 'three years of torment'
Dec. 13, 2018

Mum of man found dead at 23 launches her own witness appeal
Dec. 19, 2018

Mystery over Josh Clayton's death and last moments remain
Updated Feb. 27, 2019

Copper with 'Britain's cushiest beat' on Scilly Isles blasted for his handling of Taunton man's death
May 2, 2019

'Scilly sergeant' criticised for handling of investigation into death
May 2, 2019

Josh Clayton: Police criticised over young man's death
May 2, 2019

Scilly Isles policeman criticised for seeking divine inspiration over Josh Clayton death | News | The Times
May 3, 2019

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8993188/scilly-isles-cop-slammed-murder-investigation/
May 3, 2019

Devon and Cornwall Police apologise to mother of barman Josh Clayton who disappeared on Scilly Isles | Daily Mail Online
May 23, 2019

Devon and Cornwall Police apologise to mother of barman Josh Clayton who disappeared on Scilly Isles | Daily Mail Online
13879980-7064453-image-m-25_1558643541618.jpg

Josh Clayton,
13879982-7064453-image-a-26_1558643548759.jpg

Pictured: Mr Clayton's body was found on rocks off the Isle of Tresco 11 days after he disappeared

Scilly Isles barman's death 'no accident', says mother
''The coroner told the force to investigate after new claims emerged of a row at the party Mr Clayton was at before he went missing.

He had been at a staff event at The Shed venue organised by Tristan Dorrien-Smith, son of island landlord Robert.

Partygoer Leroy Thomas said Mr Clayton had been arguing with a group of foreign workers at the party.

Following the inquest Devon and Cornwall Police said in a statement it was the "first time" the force had been made aware of the claims and "further investigations will be carried out as a result".

Last edited:
Hello

I am posting about a personal case. My younger brother (then 23) went missing after attending a privately held party on a 2 mile square island. Josh worked for a company that owns this island on a forever lease and they operated a tourism and hotel business. It was Sept 2015.

He was found nearly two weeks later on an adjacent island (uninhabited) washed on the rocks.

This case quickly brought about much media attention locally (Television) and nationally (Newspaper and even some major TV news).

We had a long wait to get to inquest. It was then thrown out because of a witness testimony.

Another longer wait before the second inquest, some three years later. No witnesses allowed at the second inquest.

As a family we have no answers, only questions. The police were really obstructive and didn’t really investigate anything at all. It was so frustrating.

I have put together a website that you can find easily (link below or Google “somebodyknows Tresco Josh Clayton”). There are two pages, the first outlines some of the case. The other page goes into some detail about the witness testimony that halted the first inquest. There is a lot more I have for this witness that I have not published in full.

Shortly before Covid struck I started to begin my own fresh investigation and have gathered a large amount of the statements together into a spreadsheet to compare ALL witness testimony. I think I might publish this spreadsheet if there is interest in the case.

Thanks for taking any time to read this and anything you dig into further. The case is potentially quite huge, I could write a whole book on it!
Sorry about the loss of your dear brother.
There is hope!
This recently re-opened case reminds me of your brother minus the possible racial undertones.
This young man went to a party and was later found inexplicably deceased, his family always suspected that he was murdered.
Well, the case has been looked at again, and lo and behold, the death has now been declared a murder.
KS - KS - Alonzo Brooks, 23, found dead after party, La Cygne, 3 April 2004

Hello

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, in such dreadful circumstances.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention....I will certainly read everything available & follow with interest.

Are there any podcasts highlighting Josh’s case? This seems to be an effective way of raising awareness nowadays.

Thank you for the messages so far.

I have so much yet to compile and put together clearly on the website. I have this huge spreadsheet that covers 23 different statements. Some of these were taken around the time Josh went missing and the others are later.

These statements from the witnesses who went to the party are really concerning when you compare them next to each other. I really want to upload this to the website but the trouble I have (being a normal guy, no experience in publishing) is how to present all this stuff for digest.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, in such dreadful circumstances.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention....I will certainly read everything available & follow with interest.

Are there any podcasts highlighting Josh’s case? This seems to be an effective way of raising awareness nowadays.

I had some interest from this guy who does the UK True Crime Podcast. However i found it really difficult to provide him with the narrative since he asked me to write all of it, once I got to giving an overview of the comings and goings of the party it's where I hit this wall.

The 20 statements do not align. There are really big problems with who went home with who, nothing corroborates. How could this serious flaw exist in the police investigation on such an important area such as the timeline of the night.

https://www.somebodyknows.co.uk/
"He walked the beach way home"

Aerial imagery of the area around the shed and the suggested way Josh walked.

We don’t know how Josh got to the beach. Nobody saw him go that way, yet he ended up in the water fully clothed with his backpack covering his face not to be found until 1o days later.

Visiting the scene it is incredibly difficult to understand how somebody could chose to go this way home, also alone when everybody was leaving around the same time.

Searches were conducted mainly on the land to find Josh. Because a bicycle and some other articles thought to belong to Josh were found near the Shed, the focus was on him being in a hedge, outbuilding or other small and sheltered space. I will cover details about these items in a further page posting very soon.

That night there was a New Moon (so no moonlight whatsoever!) and a lack of artificial light with no urban built up areas locally to cause light pollution. It would have been very dark indeed. The tide was low around 11pm, just several hours before Josh disappeared. Would you be walking the beach way home, also all alone, when there are perfectly good pathways and others to go with?

Tresco-Map-Shed-Closeup-Aerial-1024x635.jpg

Aerial view of Tristan's Shed, narrow tracks and surrounding area.
Tresco-Map-Shed-looking-to-Tean-Aerial-1024x629.jpg

Tresco Map Shed looking to Tean (where Josh's body was found)Aerial
Tresco-Map-Suggested-Route-1024x629.jpg

Looking west over the outcrop.
Tresco-East-Coast-1024x726.png

Coloured routes to show timings of different ways back to the accomodation.''

Hello

I think one thing that would be helpful here going forward is to get you set up as a Verified Insider for your brother’s case. This is a process that family members, and others personally associated with cases here on WS, routinely undergo.

Here is a link which explains the process more - as I understand it, it is a fairly quick process:

Verified Professional and Insider Members

There are benefits of being a “VI” - the content of your posts can be allowed without msm verification...I need more coffee to explain better.

Here is an example of a “VI” - see @Colorado303 , she was a close friend to victim Shannan Watts. You can see how she has her VI status listed under her name. She is able to post freely without requiring links for her content.

eta: Here is another example of a VI, @mocity, sibling to victim Cheryl Henry.

There are many others, @stryker57, son of Cheryl DeBoer,
@Zach Verified Family AJ Hadsell...

List of Verified Professionals and Verified Insiders

Last edited:
I think one thing that would be helpful here going forward is to get you set up as a Verified Insider for your brother’s case. This is a process that family members, and others personally associated with cases here on WS, routinely undergo.

Here is a link which explains the process more - as I understand it, it is a fairly quick process:

Verified Professional and Insider Members

There are benefits of being a “VI” - the content of your posts can be allowed without msm verification...I need more coffee to explain better.

Here is an example of a “VI” - see @Colorado303 , she was a close friend to victim Shannan Watts. You can see how she has her VI status listed under her name. She is able to post freely without requiring links for her content.

eta: Here is another example of a VI, @mocity, sibling to victim Cheryl Henry.

There are many others, @stryker57, son of Cheryl DeBoer,
@Zach Verified Family AJ Hadsell...

Thanks I’ll look into this and contact the necessary through next week.

I’ve also flagged a moderator to also update the title of this thread to include your brother’s name and other pertinent information to the thread title, as is standard.

Perfect, thanks! I couldn’t find how to edit it after noticing I’d not titled as per standard!

I’ve applied to get verified, thanks again for your help. It seems straight forward enough. My information is pretty public anyway but yeah you guys need to know I am definitely Josh’s brother.

Cheers

Perfect, thanks! I couldn’t find how to edit it after noticing I’d not titled as per standard!

I’ve applied to get verified, thanks again for your help. It seems straight forward enough. My information is pretty public anyway but yeah you guys need to know I am definitely Josh’s brother.

Cheers

Happy to help.

Yes, once you start a thread, there is no way to edit the title once posted. I’m constantly bugging the moderators to edit my thread titles lol.

https://www.somebodyknows.co.uk/
"
That night there was a New Moon (so no moonlight whatsoever!) and a lack of artificial light with no urban built up areas locally to cause light pollution. It would have been very dark indeed. The tide was low around 11pm, just several hours before Josh disappeared. Would you be walking the beach way home, also all alone, when there are perfectly good pathways and others to go with?

(Snipped by me)

If Josh did get lost after a drink or just want to be on his own, that new moon/pitch darkness could be a causal element of an accident.

It's brave @ash_uk@somebody to bring your brother's case to this forum. If it generates an active ongoing discussion you'll no doubt get lots of valid theories and possibly new solid lines of investigation, but you'll also get a lot of quite intelligent and searingly honest people pointing holes in everything!

(Snipped by me)

If Josh did get lost after a drink or just want to be on his own, that new moon/pitch darkness could be a causal element of an accident.

It's brave @ash_uk@somebody to bring your brother's case to this forum. If it generates an active ongoing discussion you'll no doubt get lots of valid theories and possibly new solid lines of investigation, but you'll also get a lot of quite intelligent and searingly honest people pointing holes in everything!

You can’t get lost on this island. Especially if you have been there any longer than a day or two. It’s so small, only some 170 permanent people live on Tresco. There are two main areas of residences and other small hamlets around.

Nonetheless you can’t get lost. It’s near impossible to think Josh would walk the beach way home. He was last seen outside the shed with others as people were leaving in groups. Around 1:30/1:45am.

One thing that came up was his friends said he invented a buddy system so people never walk home alone. There are no vehicles except service ones on the island. Only golf carts for general getting around, it’s that small.

I can’t wait to post a better narrative of the night here... but please do keep asking questions or make suggestions.

I’ll post the podcast I started writing here for you guys to read, it goes up to the point where people are leaving the shed. After that no statements make sense together. Leroy Thomas (see his page please on the site!) is so important to this, but so are others.

I’m really humbled to find this website and really invigorated again to start picking this case up from where I left off pre Covid 19!

Mystery over Josh Clayton's death and last moments remain
27 FEB 2019
''A young man who died alone on the island of Tresco after a staff party was so concerned about his workmates he had created a “buddy system” so no one walked home alone at night, an inquest heard.

The jury at the inquest of Josh Clayton, which is being held at the Plymouth Coroner’s Court, heard how the 23-year-old had begun working as a bar manager on the Isles of Scilly island in March 2015 and that by September 13 when he went missing he was considering working another month before taking up work in Japan with his boyfriend, Sam, who lived on the mainland.''

''Today the jury heard a recording from the last inquest where Tess Hillier, restaurant manager at the New Inn, gave evidence. She had worked with Josh since he arrived on the island in March 2015 and had become good friends with him, saying he was “someone who always helped others” and was “protective of friends”.

She said how at the party Josh had been drinking and was “noticeably stumbling”, but no more than anyone else.
She revealed how Josh had previously “invented” a buddy system so that someone would always go home with another person so as to be safe. She said it was “really abnormal” for him to go home on his own, adding “I don’t think he would have done that.”

''She explained how she had found the portable phone charger and a packet of unopened Lambert & Butler cigarettes on a path, and about 50m further a bicycle crashed into a thicket with its seat twisted 180 degrees around, the chain off and a pedal caked in mud.''

''She noted how Mr Dorrien-Smith had asked Leroy Thomas to leave the party after complaints from a number of females he had been bothering and groping.''

''He said he saw a man, who he later identified as Leroy Thomas, “acting generally like a dick” at the party. At one stage Mr Thomas attempted to dance with a young woman in their group who “made it clear” she was not interested.

Mr Gigg said that when he gave Mr Thomas a “disapproving stare” Mr Thomas “stepped towards me” and there was an exchange of swearing.''

Last edited:
Often it seems, fights start over girls- wondering if Joshua had a girlfriend with him on the island, or if there were any other interesting women at the party? imo

Josh was quite proudly out.

However there was trouble with an older guy (Leroy) grabbing girls. There was some scuffle (not clear if inside the shed or outside, or both - depends on who’s statements you read!).

It’s very helpful to read the Trouble with Leroy page. It’s not got everything he said on it, but a good chunk. There are some bits I kinda need to leave out...

I could just post the statements and interview transcripts of his but that might be far too much for now in these early days (so much content to read through).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back