WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it fairly obvious that no one was "picked up" where the car was abandoned? They know someone left the car there, by the quotes from LE, and they MUST have footprints walking away from the vehicle, which is why they were asking for the public to remember if they saw anyone walking that route on the night in question.

I can really see a benefit to walking out of there, (no accomplice needed), but I see many drawbacks as well. I don't think it is clear from LE statements. They were covering their bases asking if anyone saw anyone walking out of there.

Here's the thing, it should have been close to daylight/dusk when the vehicle was dumped. People are getting off of work and heading home. If this person is walking he has to go alittle over 2 miles just to get to the intersecting at Squilchuck. Granted there aren't many homes on Pitcher the first half-mile of his walk/jog.

Idea: Is our suspect in good enough shape to jog?

From intersecting at Squilchuck who knows how much farther but the roads only get busier. Yet, as far as we know, LE never got a tip from ANYONE who said they saw someone walking along the road. That hints towards him getting a ride out of the canyon.

It's up in the air for me.

SO anyone know who drives the BLACK pick up SIENNA CT -licence B15_ _ _ _

I think you may actually mean Sierra? GMC has a truck model called the Sierra Classic Denali.

ETA: Sienna is the name of a Toyota mini-van

Here's the thing, it should have been close to daylight/dusk when the vehicle was dumped. People are getting off of work and heading home. If this person is walking he has to go alittle over 2 miles just to get to the intersecting at Squilchuck. Granted there aren't many homes on Pitcher the first half-mile of his walk/jog.

From intersecting at Squilchuck who knows how much farther but the roads only get busier. Yet, as far as we know, LE never got a tip from ANYONE who said they saw someone walking along the road. That hints towards him getting a ride out of the canyon.

It would have been pretty dark around 6 PM back on February 9th. By the time the person walked down the canyon to Squilchuck road- it would have been completely dark. Squilchuck road is pretty much a rural highway and someone would have noticed a person walking, no matter what. It's not a road folks would walk on and not been seen.

And yes, there'd be a decent amount of traffic, especially heading up the road from town between 4:30 through 6:30 or so with folks driving home who live up the hill. That road stays pretty busy.

With all this in mind, I just do not think anyone would have risked walking back and being seen. It would be nearly impossible to have walked back and not be noticed. I gotta think they were picked up somewhere- likley by the pavement end- on Pitcher canyon road.

Isn't it stated somewhere the dogs lost the scent at the pavement? This leads me to belive the suspect was picked up. Which tells me more than one person is involved and leads to this being premeditated, as it would take planning for everything to occur between roughly 4 PM and 6 Pm and have a pick up. Just my thoughts...

I can really see a benefit to walking out of there, (no accomplice needed), but I see many drawbacks as well. I don't think it is clear from LE statements. They were covering their bases asking if anyone saw anyone walking out of there.

I'm thinking a ride, either from a direct accomplice or from an after-the-fact accomplice, who followed the car up and picked up the driver. Let's see:

3:00 - Mackenzie leaves beauty school.

By 3:40 - Mackenzie is at the park.

Let's just say--all speculation below:

4:30 - 5:00 - Mackenzie killed at primary crime scene. Phone is off at this point. Body left at primary scene.

5:30 - 6:30 - Car is dropped on PCR and killer is given a ride. Coming down from PCR, killer turns on phone and then turns it off before removing battery/sim card/destroying it. Why turn it on and off? To check to see if an associate/friend/family member of the victim and murderer has called? Maybe accidentally turned it off and on trying to get the back cover off the phone?

Sometime after 7:30 - Mackenzie's body is moved from primary crime scene to secondary crime scene. Killer and accomplice put her out by river, then, go to house to wash up before leaving, leaving possible blood evidence at the scene. (Kitchenette on back deck has a built-in sink... perfect place to wash up.)

Ok... with the above, here's my glaring problem.

For the phone not to ping, wouldn't the battery have to be removed? So did the perp remove the battery sometime shortly after Mackenzie got the text message from her boyfriend? Then the perp would have to put the battery BACK in the phone to power it up so that it pinged off a tower, before powering it back down/destroying it.

Just makes NO SENSE!

It would have been pretty dark around 6 PM back on February 9th. By the time the person walked down the canyon to Squilchuck road- it would have been completely dark. Squilchuck road is pretty much a rural highway and someone would have noticed a person walking, no matter what. It's not a road folks would walk on and not been seen.

And yes, there'd be a decent amount of traffic, especially heading up the road from town between 4:30 through 6:30 or so with folks driving home who live up the hill. That road stays pretty busy.

With all this in mind, I just do not think anyone would have risked walking back and being seen. It would be nearly impossible to have walked back and not be noticed. I gotta think they were picked up somewhere- likley by the pavement end- on Pitcher canyon road.

Isn't it stated somewhere the dogs lost the scent at the pavement? This leads me to belive the suspect was picked up. Which tells me more than one person is involved and leads to this being premeditated, as it would take planning for everything to occur between roughly 4 PM and 6 Pm and have a pick up. Just my thoughts...

I remember reading that the dogs did not get a scent. I believe it was rumored they did, but we had this conversation a few days ago and I am pretty sure there was no confirmed scent.
Bloodhounds failed to pick up a scent...http://www.scentevidence.com/2010/02/search-for-mackenzie-cowell-missing-17.html

Yet, as far as we know, LE never got a tip from ANYONE who said they saw someone walking along the road. That hints towards him getting a ride out of the canyon.

Again- as far as we know...

I found the timeline listed earlier in this thread to be very beneficial. As a companion- for speculation- think it would be interesting to compile a list of all aspects of this case that LE has info on that has not been shared. Not speculation (what evidence exactly, etc.) but what type-

Examples I can think of, briefly:

-location of last cell ping
-all cell phone activity
- other film sitings of the car/Mac
-every item and type of evidence found in the car
-evidence at Pitcher Canyon site where car was dumped
- wounds, evidence on body and cause of death
-evidence at CB location where MK found

There are dozens more. If we compiled a list of all they know and are not telling, I think it points in a pretty specific direction

I remember reading that the dogs did not get a scent. I believe it was rumored they did, but we had this conversation a few days ago and I am pretty sure there was no confirmed scent.
Bloodhounds failed to pick up a scent...http://www.scentevidence.com/2010/02/search-for-mackenzie-cowell-missing-17.html

That would be consistent, then, with 1) her not being there, and 2) someone quickly hopping out of the pontiac and into the second vehicle.

The keys must have been found in the car, since there's been no word of them missing. Like I have said before, pontiacs that year model have an auto-lock feature, so that may account for the doors being locked.

So 3:40 to 7 PM - that's almost 3 1/2 hours. Only a phone blip reported between 3:40 and 7. Plenty of time to do the deed, drive up to PCR, dump the car.

That would be consistent, then, with 1) her not being there, and 2) someone quickly hopping out of the pontiac and into the second vehicle.

The keys must have been found in the car, since there's been no word of them missing. Like I have said before, pontiacs that year model have an auto-lock feature, so that may account for the doors being locked.

So 3:40 to 7 PM - that's almost 3 1/2 hours. Only a phone blip reported between 3:40 and 7. Plenty of time to do the deed, drive up to PCR, dump the car.

can you show me a link to the fact that footprints stop at the gravel/dirt/area of the road. I can not find anything like that. I thought that was a rumor as well. I can only see that footprints were leading AWAY from her vehicle.

As a concerned parent, I've been lurking here for a few days and first of all I want to compliment all of you on your courtesy to each other. Very refreshing after reading the comments on the WW articles. I came up with a question so I finally got brave and decided to register (seemed to take a while to actually get confirmed, is that normal?). Anyway, regarding the brothers in jail, has anyone else noticed that they might possibly be the brothers of the woman who was found dead in a vacant lot in January, as a result of "acute intoxication" (meth and vicodin)? Maybe you've already determined they were not connected to the mom's BF, I don't know. I just thought it is interesting that the street the woman was found on is at the end of Squilchuck canyon so if they have any connection and live nearby, that would be within walking distance of PC.

Del Rio, You probably already know this, B construction co is the same one that added or matched the reward fund. $38,000.

I believe the B construction company that owned the property (according to tax records) is not the same as the company that pledged the $38,000.

As a concerned parent, I've been lurking here for a few days and first of all I want to compliment all of you on your courtesy to each other. Very refreshing after reading the comments on the WW articles. I came up with a question so I finally got brave and decided to register (seemed to take a while to actually get confirmed, is that normal?). Anyway, regarding the brothers in jail, has anyone else noticed that they might possibly be the brothers of the woman who was found dead in a vacant lot in January, as a result of "acute intoxication" (meth and vicodin)? Maybe you've already determined they were not connected to the mom's BF, I don't know. I just thought it is interesting that the street the woman was found on is at the end of Squilchuck canyon so if they have any connection and live nearby, that would be within walking distance of PC.

First off I wanted to say welcome to WS. We are so glad you finally registered! Yay!

I personally did not know that the two brothers in jail were related to the woman that they found dead of acute intoxication. Wow, that is very interesting. Hmmm, gonna have to think about that for a bit.

Again- as far as we know...

I found the timeline listed earlier in this thread to be very beneficial. As a companion- for speculation- think it would be interesting to compile a list of all aspects of this case that LE has info on that has not been shared. Not speculation (what evidence exactly, etc.) but what type-

Examples I can think of, briefly:

-location of last cell ping
-all cell phone activity
- other film sitings of the car/Mac
-every item and type of evidence found in the car
-evidence at Pitcher Canyon site where car was dumped
- wounds, evidence on body and cause of death
-evidence at CB location where MK found

There are dozens more. If we compiled a list of all they know and are not telling, I think it points in a pretty specific direction

Location of last ping - Why would LE not tell us the tower location of the final ping?

Cell phone activity between text message and final ping - Why would LE not want us to know who Mackenzie called or received calls from, from 3:30 to 5:40?

Evidence found in the car? - First LE told us that nothing unusual was found in the car. Later they told us that evidence WAS found and sent to the crime lab. Why would LE withhold what kind of evidence was sent to the crime lab?

Evidence at PCR? - I think LE accidentally let the cat out of the bag with this one, by telling us that someone left the car there and then asking for anyone to report anyone seen walking out of that area. We know the person left footprints from the car to asphalt. Is there any other elvidence?

Wounds/trauma to body? - This is the one I really don't get. Why not tell the public HOW she died--at least whether it's budgeoning, stabbing, shooting, suffocation. They said that she was not sexually assaulted--I don't get why they told the public this, and nothing more.

Evidence at CBR location? - This one I kind of understand not telling the public.

I don't know any other reason to hold all of this info except that the evidence ties to an obvious suspect, and LE is waiting on DNA results before making the arrest...that if the evidence were leaked, it would point to one person, and there would be public outrage that someone so close to Mackenzie was getting away with murder.

Eager to hear everyone else's opinions on Sherlock's list.

I'm not sure I'm following the connection. Her last name was Melcher-DeChenne. Which, of course, does not mean that she didn't happen to have stepbrothers or half-brothers. IDK if there is really any correlation to these two deaths?

Interesting coincidence you found!

Also- On the WW obit it lists the brothers as being from Puyallup...

Obit from newspaper: removed it

I think the guys in jail may have different first names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oma13