WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
outofthedark said:
I wrote a poem for my english class about how much Lyle took with him, what probably happened with him emotionally and what we probably thought in connection with the story character, where I described Lyle [Stevick] as someone who's "stuck with what he's got and mute to who he is around"

Are you going to post it? I would love to read it Outofthedark!~

Scandi

He came from a lonely spot, on top of a high hill,
Looked around for the spirits, trying to break his will,
He left without them, knowing what he had to do,
And was like a staight line, firm, steadfast and true.

Up around Gray's Harbor he tethered himself,
Sat in the darkness, no longer concerned about his health,
It took a few days and pacing up and down the street,
He maybe stopped to wonder if his maker he would meet.

Nothing could lift him up to weather the storm
He was helpless and lost and wanted to be where it is warm,
So he took care of business and cloaked himself in gloom,
And the maid found him praying, kneeling on the far side of the room.

To those who loved him we wish them God speed,
For they had to know he was thinking of this perilous deed,
In their hearts they still love him and carry him along,
Knowing there will not be a day that his song is unsung.

. . .

. . . . . .

annemc2 said:
To me, it looked like the clerk wrote in "Meridan, Id" after Lyle wrote only "ID" for the state. Apparently Lyle was filling in the blanks for the clerk's request for name, address, and state. So he wrote "ID" for state and then the clerk asked "In which city do you live in Idaho?" and he responded "Meridian" and he/she wrote down "Meridan." Make sense?
I think you could be right but maybe a handwriting person could better tell which words are his and which are someone elses. Maybe the clerk could have told which words were her/his own at the time it was all fresh in memory but now so much time has passed that I am unsure the memory would be there. Still it might be worth asking the clerk who wrote the town name. Maybe if shown the pic of the writing he/she could tell own writing.

Thanks for thinking of the possibilities. Good work.

scandi said:
Are you going to post it? I would love to read it Outofthedark!~

Scandi

He came from a lonely spot, on top of a high hill,
Looked around for the spirits, trying to break his will,
He left without them, knowing what he had to do,
And was like a staight line, firm, steadfast and true.

Up around Gray's Harbor he tethered himself,
Sat in the darkness, no longer concerned about his health,
It took a few days and pacing up and down the street,
He maybe stopped to wonder if his maker he would meet.

Nothing could lift him up to weather the storm
He was helpless and lost and wanted to be where it is warm,
So he took care of business and cloaked himself in gloom,
And the maid found him praying, kneeling on the far side of the room.

To those who loved him we wish them God speed,
For they had to know he was thinking of this perilous deed,
In their hearts they still love him and carry him along,
Knowing there will not be a day that his song is unsung.

. . .

. . . . . .
Here's mine:

Hard to find a reason and hard to know why you fell with a thud into the blackhole below
The world has obviously abandoned you in some way
as you evaporated without a trace
Your emotions split open and swallowed you whole
As something had taken it's toll
What you meant you made it CLEAR
But you threw it in the trash
You may have seen yourself as a fictious person who is stuck with what he's got and mute to who he is around
You are swirled with thought, probably hell bent on finishing what you want

Goodbye forever Lyle Stevik, we may never know who you are, but your memory never lives far...

The bolded line was not added in my good copy for English class

I liked that, Outofthedark. Very good! Hope you got a good grade. I like the asymetrical verse, or whatever you call it. Hard to do ;)

Scandi

coldcaseman said:
I was able to get Mr. Morra run through NCIC, in order to get his dental information, and I learned he is not in their database. There are some states that do not "belong" to NCIC (for whatever reason) and I don't know if LA is one of them. I e-mailed the Sheriff of Jefferson Parish, and asked him if Mourra had any tattoos and if they have dental records.
That's a good idea

gardenmom said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/gardenmom/A200300405S_846-1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/gardenmom/mourra_salvatore.jpg

This guy Mourra is who I think looks a lot like Doe. I think the eyebrows are the same, the nose looks similar, but its hard to tell with the shadow. The lips look different, but Doe is lying down, so maybe the lips are distorted. The chin on Mourra does not look squared like Doe, but Mourra is heavier, probably 30 pounds or so, its too hard to compare. There does seem to be a sort of dimple on both chins, same shape. Mourra looks to have attatched earlobes. In the pic the left (our right) ear looks pierced, but its too hard to tell from the shadows. The left eye shape is similar, and both men have dark circles. Mourra was said to have been suicidal when he disappeared in 2000. This would have given him time to lose weight before killing himself in 2001.

I just wanted to post these side by side to see what you all think.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mourra_salvatore.html
I was able to get Mr. Morra run through NCIC, in order to get his dental information, and I learned he is not in their database. There are some states that do not "belong" to NCIC (for whatever reason) and I don't know if LA is one of them. I e-mailed the Sheriff of Jefferson Parish, and asked him if Mourra had any tattoos and if they have dental records.

If anyone is still having trouble posting you might try logging out of websleuths by using the "log out" link in the upper right corner of the page and then hopefully you will see a log out message that says your cookies were cleared. Then go to websleuths again and log in if you need to (if you have auto login turned on you won't need to log in when you go to a websleuths page) and you should be able to post. That's what I did. Maybe they happened to get the posting fixed just as I tried it or maybe the cookies needed to be cleared. I don't care as long as I can post again. :D

docwho3 said:
If anyone is still having trouble posting you might try logging out of websleuths by using the "log out" link in the upper right corner of the page and then hopefully you will see a log out message that says your cookies were cleared. Then go to websleuths again and log in if you need to (if you have auto login turned on you won't need to log in when you go to a websleuths page) and you should be able to post. That's what I did. Maybe they happened to get the posting fixed just as I tried it or maybe the cookies needed to be cleared. I don't care as long as I can post again. :D
Thanx for the tip :angel: :)

coldcaseman said:
Thanks for doing this. Even if it is not him, it is a step in the right direction.

In the meantime: I believe we are waiting on some more info to hopefully develop re the belt and we can always hope someone recognizes his handwriting or the pic of his face. I may be able to get the face pic a little more exposure when I get my good comp back up and running. Until then I am using my old slow back up comps.

Has anyone else used any of the contact numbers linked in a previous post to contact national TV shows to ask for them to show his picture?

In the meantime: I believe we are waiting on some more info to hopefully develop re the belt and we can always hope someone recognizes his handwriting or the pic of his face. I may be able to get the face pic a little more exposure when I get my good comp back up and running. Until then I am using my old slow back up comps.

Okay that's good :)

I don't think he ever learned block lettering like is taught for drafting classes.
His lettering on some printed letters is totally contrary to it.

docwho3 said:
I don't think he ever learned block lettering like is taught for drafting classes.
What do you mean? I'm just curious

Block lettering has no frills to it, but it does have it's own style. You can always tell the writing of a draftman or architect.

Scandi

outofthedark said:
docwho3 said:
What do you mean? I'm just curious
Two quick examples:
1.The "F" in "F"or the Room. The two horizontal lines of the F are the same length or nearly so and this is a no no for block lettering of that type. The second or lower horizontal line of the F should be quite a bit shorter than the top line.

2. The E in SUCID"E" has a top line longer than the bottom line and that too is a big no no. If done correctly, the top line of the E is very short compared to the bottom line. Yet the word "suicide" has the "E" with the bottom line which should be the longest line, becoming the shortest horizontal line.

Then I could also mention the shape of the "U" in "suicide" and a couple other small things such as the "E" in "for the room."

I just figured out that I share the some of the same type of facial features as Lyle- I have the exact same nose and lips as he does- and I also have a medium complexion. I have a fuller face than he does for the time being though...:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: = My 4 cents

what leads, if any, are there back to ID? Coldcaseman: did you find out the bus company names and routes to see if one could have come from ID area? Even if drivers tend to tune out their passengers and can't recall a face, it doesn't mean he wasn't on one of them. Nodameen?
What's with the addy he gave, was it a hotel? He didn't pick that out of thin air just like he didn't his alias from the book.
Also, the handwriting, IMO, looks like mine. I tend to like to write in a style that's mostly print with some hints of cursive, letters connecting but still 'blocky'. My Dad influenced me there. He was USAF and worked for FAA. Very meticulous, clarity was important in his line of work. So i sorta adopted the style. I tend to write things with thinking about how others are going to read it. Lyle's looks like that. Perhaps a person of military background. Someone who fills out many forms perhaps. It also looks like mine in that he's practiced in writing like that with speed. For some, printing is laborious. I can write just as fast both ways. My cursive looks like crap. Would love to have an expert "read" my writing. Ok, last query...
What kind of readers read this book, or Oates for that matter. How much is this book an influence? What famous killer had the 'Catcher in the RYe'?
A person who's sinking into a depression can lose touch with reality and some paranoid individuals have been known to obsess over a story or book and relate to characters because this world sucks to bad. Just a thot.
Any feedback? Coldcaseman? Anybody up>?
kk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members