Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be, do they need a PI though?

All Budd has to do is sign a release of his records?

If he's been in the US for 8 years; so possibly another state.
O.K. it's kind of a standard thing to strengthen the Defense's case; he'll go through everything LE has as evidence and try and find 'holes' in the Prosecution case.

Last edited:
It’s interesting isn’t it?

He could have said “ya I followed her, asked her out and she said get lost”

I think they may have scared him by saying they had more video of him than they had and he felt he had no way out.

Yes that could be. My imagination takes me a scenario involving him admitting to his first name - Cristhian. Good interrogative detectives want to know as much as they can about the suspect so they can use that personal information to get them to roll, by getting up close and personal.

The Spanish translation of his first name is “follower of Christ; the annointed.” The majority of Mexicans are Catholic and maintain very strong ties to the church. Anyone who travels through the interior of Mexico will notice cities, towns and village with a public square dominated by a grand Catholic Church where locals gather in the evenings. So I’d bet CRs parents named him Cristhian because they were followers of the church and he was also baptized and a member of the church until at least 16 years of age.

Therefore I can truly imagine a ding, ding, ding happening in that interrogation room and that a detective could hardly wait to dive into the opportunity of severely shaming CR into a confession, based solely on the definition of his first name, Cristhian.

This is just my opinion.

I checked the Iowa Courts Online Search just now. There are two events with today's date under the Filings. There is a motion for "APPLICATION FOR APPOINTMENT OF PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR AT PUBLIC EXPENSE" and "other event" "FINANCIAL AFFIDAVIT" (excuse the all caps, I was lazy and just did Ctrl C/Crtl V from the website)

ETA: events were filed by one of CR's attorneys

Yup. He’s going to ask the court to pay his attorneys.

If he's been in the US for 8 years; so possibly another state.
O.K. it's kind of a standard thing to strengthen the Defense's case; he'll go through everything LE has as evidence and try and find 'holes' in the Prosecution case.

Yuppers and he’s going to get it. The financials are to request
Next motion today his lawyers. Watch.

Yup. If you have herds of milk producers you’re considered Dairy. But let me explain. Farmers often insulate themselves from disaster. Crop failure, milk borne infections drought, etc. there are a thousand things a farmer knows to well that can go wrong. Many diversify and if they have accumulated land every acre possible is planted. Many utilize government programs to help pay either to grow or not grow certain crops.

Farming is and over decades has become a complicated business for the educated. Not only formal education but historic education which is handed down generation to generation.

At age 10 I drive my ailing grandfather around vast farmland in Michigan to observe fields of crops. If we saw another farmer out working we often stopped to talk even more crops.

I remember some stories and I learned to appreciate them as lessons. Some days some visits became an invitation for lunch and stories morphed into humor. I learned pretty fast I was a young sister in a historical brotherhood of people who learned by doing. And everyone had their stories of mistakes. While I never broke anything that we couldn’t fix, many did worse flipping tractors and even cracking connections between the head and the power train on a harvester ( I know it to be a Combine). My mistakes, while time consuming were in the realm of normal. However I certainly observed some of the worst when farmers died with their beloved equipment.

My guess is CR, after a year with Yarrabee was entrusted to tending crops as well. If I remember correctly he stated he was familiar with the land he placed Mollies remains. He very well could have worked the ground he placed her on and knew full well her body would be difficult to find. He might have know what rain would do to and evidence of the car or the dragmarks left as evidence getting her into and under the protective canopy of mid July growth. There would be nothing to detect after the hard rain the night he hid her body.

The odor would not begin for days, and little probability of a visit by anyone. After the old addage of “thigh high by the 4th of July”, corn. Fields are left alone. Tenders stay close to home, a welcome break and catch up on things that have to be fixed and maintained. It’s a time when plants grow, the dirt giving its most precious nutrients to produce the grain or feed needed to feed our nation or parts of our world.

And CR knew the corn hides secrets. Shoes, shirts and even condoms from parties past were in the fields. And he chose the perfect place to hide her. Covered by thick corn reaching for the bright Iowa sun. And there her physical remains would stay until harvest. It was part of his plan. Well thought out he didn’t consider being caught, or questioned by anyone.

Hiding in plain sight he had played dumb and well. In August 18, driving into Brooklyn to buy pizza, CR felt a high like never before.

After living in the USA for 7 years, foiling everyone, especially his employer, CR had fooled local cops, the bigger FBI and the other Federalies. Hiding in plain site for more than a month, he had committed the perfect crime.

He had driven past his hiding spot more times than he could remember to see if it had been disturbed. And thought it curious then funny the pig farmer had almost been arrested. CR hadn’t planned on him. But it was a good distraction. The red shirt tossed out a riders side window was his last minute afterthought to mislead searchers. He found it in the laundry at the ramshackle house Yarabee “gave” the poorly paid worker a place to sleep. Investigators didn’t react as he’d hoped. Instead of confusing the search and incriminating Mr. pig farmer, they had quickly dismissed it as having been exactly what it was, planted.

As he neared the store, he was feeling pretty smug. CBR had fooled them all, and felt darn smart. Until the car passed and stopped directly in front of him. As he looked in his rear view mirror lights flashed and in one last moment his freedom was gone as he heard the unbelievable “ Stop the vehicle and place both hands out the window where they can be seen.”.

Yes, he chose it all. I enjoyed reading your post, and yes CR has a story other than the one he told LE, which may have had bits of truth in in with his fabrications.

Why did CR tell LE where the body was? It was all going so well for him. So guess they caught me better give them the body? IDK why he caved, he killed Mollie, that’s tough, that’s heartless, no remorse, so why not ask for lawyer during custody to stop interrogation and keep the evidence to himself?

Does anybody know if CR’s attorney’s are public defenders? If not, and they are hired privately, why should the public pay for them?
They were hired privately

I’m pretty sure the financial affidavit is to make sure his family can pay for them, they said they family hired all 3 attorneys so far

Its surprising how many murderers actually leave the bodies at the scene and never even bother to cover them up. Many of those killers never got caught or it took years to connect them to the crime. I believe Rivera had that particular spot in mind to both carry out the crime and have the perfect hiding spot. He was just waiting for the right time. He probably didn't think there was any need to bury her. Or maybe he was too lazy or wanted to get out of there fast.

Wow that really jumped out at me in your post, “ He was waiting for the right time”... yes, he knew a timeframe for his crime “a blocked out period, days or particular week in Mid July, based on his farm work with the crops. The right season and spot for his victim to be assaulted and killed and location for the body, to place body for it to be truly covered.

Why did he tell LE, why not get lawyer and not answer questions. They hadn’t found Mollie and really didn’t have anything’s but the car, no body. Why lead them to her? I sure am grateful he did obviously but legally he could have been like so many others that have killed, silent.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if CR’s attorney’s are public defenders? If not, and they are hired privately, why should the public pay for them?

There’s now a strategy to hire private. And if indeed some third party isn’t footing the bill, to be represented for a while declare yourself broke and file for court to pay attorneys you hired.

Usually works.

Yup. If you have herds of milk producers you’re considered Dairy. But let me explain. Farmers often insulate themselves from disaster. Crop failure, milk borne infections drought, etc. there are a thousand things a farmer knows to well that can go wrong. Many diversify and if they have accumulated land every acre possible is planted. Many utilize government programs to help pay either to grow or not grow certain crops.

Farming is and over decades has become a complicated business for the educated. Not only formal education but historic education which is handed down generation to generation.

At age 10 I drive my ailing grandfather around vast farmland in Michigan to observe fields of crops. If we saw another farmer out working we often stopped to talk even more crops.

I remember some stories and I learned to appreciate them as lessons. Some days some visits became an invitation for lunch and stories morphed into humor. I learned pretty fast I was a young sister in a historical brotherhood of people who learned by doing. And everyone had their stories of mistakes. While I never broke anything that we couldn’t fix, many did worse flipping tractors and even cracking connections between the head and the power train on a harvester ( I know it to be a Combine). My mistakes, while time consuming were in the realm of normal. However I certainly observed some of the worst when farmers died with their beloved equipment.

My guess is CR, after a year with Yarrabee was entrusted to tending crops as well. If I remember correctly he stated he was familiar with the land he placed Mollies remains. He very well could have worked the ground he placed her on and knew full well her body would be difficult to find. He might have know what rain would do to and evidence of the car or the dragmarks left as evidence getting her into and under the protective canopy of mid July growth. There would be nothing to detect after the hard rain the night he hid her body.

The odor would not begin for days, and little probability of a visit by anyone. After the old addage of “thigh high by the 4th of July”, corn. Fields are left alone. Tenders stay close to home, a welcome break and catch up on things that have to be fixed and maintained. It’s a time when plants grow, the dirt giving its most precious nutrients to produce the grain or feed needed to feed our nation or parts of our world.

And CR knew the corn hides secrets. Shoes, shirts and even condoms from parties past were in the fields. And he chose the perfect place to hide her. Covered by thick corn reaching for the bright Iowa sun. And there her physical remains would stay until harvest. It was part of his plan. Well thought out he didn’t consider being caught, or questioned by anyone.

Hiding in plain sight he had played dumb and well. In August 18, driving into Brooklyn to buy pizza, CR felt a high like never before.

After living in the USA for 7 years, foiling everyone, especially his employer, CR had fooled local cops, the bigger FBI and the other Federalies. Hiding in plain site for more than a month, he had committed the perfect crime.

He had driven past his hiding spot more times than he could remember to see if it had been disturbed. And thought it curious then funny the pig farmer had almost been arrested. CR hadn’t planned on him. But it was a good distraction. The red shirt tossed out a riders side window was his last minute afterthought to mislead searchers. He found it in the laundry at the ramshackle house Yarabee “gave” the poorly paid worker a place to sleep. Investigators didn’t react as he’d hoped. Instead of confusing the search and incriminating Mr. pig farmer, they had quickly dismissed it as having been exactly what it was, planted.

As he neared the store, he was feeling pretty smug. CBR had fooled them all, and felt darn smart. Until the car passed and stopped directly in front of him. As he looked in his rear view mirror lights flashed and in one last moment his freedom was gone as he heard the unbelievable “ Stop the vehicle and place both hands out the window where they can be seen.”.
I don't know. I'm not so sure the red shirt was a plant. Someone might have lost it and not realized they'd lost it, maybe a road worker left it behind by mistake or just didn't want to bother going back for it, and maybe someone else was jogging/biking and tossed the red shirt because they got too hot and didn't bother going back for it. I remember running a 5k and seeing a sign about discarded clothing. Before that, I didn't realize it was a thing. It just doesn't seem respectful to me. Maybe someone stopped for a flat and didn't realize that their kid had dropped the shirt out of the window. And some people are just disgusting. There are shoes and shirts and even couch cushions down by the river where I live. I don't think any of them were planted. I'm calling the red shirt by the pig farm a coincidence. If it was the same design as her work shirt, then I'd bite.
What Happens to the Tons of Discarded Clothing at the NYC Marathon? | Runner's World

There’s now a strategy to hire private. And if indeed some third party isn’t footing the bill, to be represented for a while declare yourself broke and file for court to pay attorneys you hired.

Usually works.
yeah, but the retainers on a case like this could be astronomical. no retainer, no representation "for a while".

That’s true, it’s possible rural video of the black Malibu would’ve led LE a more precise search area and so they convinced CR he may as well show them the location.

Beyond that though, CR could’ve denied driving the vehicle. “Oh my gosh, somebody took it while I wasn’t home, it wasn’t me!” So I’m interested to learn the reason he was cooperative with LE in not only directly implicating himself, but also leading LE to the exact location of her body (as opposed to “somewhere, I just don’t remember”) A confession ruins any hope of getting away with a perfect crime and typically deny, deny, deny seems to have become the standard.
I was just thinking, even if CR didn't show them where the body was, his cell phone was likely pinging in the same location as hers. They could have tracked his pings maybe, and maybe his pings would have showed that he lingered in the corn.

Hey all - I’m not really following anymore so I apologize if this has been covered, but did we ever establish what was going on with the reports of a Black SUV on the night Mollie disappeared?

Hey all - I’m not really following anymore so I apologize if this has been covered, but did we ever establish what was going on with the reports of a Black SUV on the night Mollie disappeared?

There is speculation pertaining to a mix up of the auto they were looking for.

Black SUV vs Black MALIBU.

SEEMS POSSIBLE.

Regardless he murderdered her
in the first hour. She was already deceased.

I’m in and out as well. Might declare a sabattical on myself.

Last edited:
I think Israel Keyes was definitely an intelligent killer. He was towards the end of his "career" when they tend to start slipping up. He knew he was making careless mistakes. I think the urge took over rational planning in his last murder. He also had a young daughter, like Rivera. Maybe this was just Rivera's first time. Guess we will never know. Jmo

Probably with loads of research, past crimes in the areas may point to CR.
Look at East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer: for years, and not suspected.
I know my analogy is extreme, but we don't know, if this is CR's first murder.o_Oo_O

<modsnipped quoted post>

<modsnipped response to removed post> 1994 or 1997, egal, he's still not a minor and will be tried as an adult, so I don't see how it makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member