Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The side doors of the van were open, and the glass on the back window was smashed from the inside out, and glass strewn outside the vehicle (according to road worker, Trevor Pierre).
The glass could have been outside the vehicle but we do not know for certain if the backdoor was open or closed when the window was broken. Both is a possibility.

On July 16? What would the message say? RCMP is investigating 2 suspicious deaths on hwy 97?

Was he in the Dease Lake area from July 15 - 19?
A cautionary message could have been displayed after 9AM on July 15. Amber Alert folks can provide suggestions on appropriate wording.

Haven't been able to catch up so sorry if this info was posted already (nothing new, just interesting to me). Not sure there's more to the comments below about LD's injuries, I thought just gun shot, but the comment eludes to more? (BBM)

Injuries of Leonard Dyck will not be revealed out of respect for the family, he added.

“There is significant evidence linking the two events together,” Mr Hackett said. Evidence also linked the two suspects to the two crime scenes, but he declined to give details.

Several mystery objects led to the discovery of the bodies of the fugitives.

Canada highway murder suspects dead: Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod’s bodies found

Haven't been able to catch up so sorry if this info was posted already (nothing new, just interesting to me). Not sure there's more to the comments below about LD's injuries, I thought just gun shot, but the comment eludes to more? (BBM)

Injuries of Leonard Dyck will not be revealed out of respect for the family, he added.

“There is significant evidence linking the two events together,” Mr Hackett said. Evidence also linked the two suspects to the two crime scenes, but he declined to give details.

Several mystery objects led to the discovery of the bodies of the fugitives.

Canada highway murder suspects dead: Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod’s bodies found

Strange that this information about LD's death hasn't even been revealed to LD's family, according to his cousin Eric Friesen.

Last edited:
Thank you. I would call those pictures inconclusive, unfortunately. It sort of looks like there might be glass there, but it's not definite.
I’ve always wondered what is there blurred out in the gravel? Like the bodies are blurred out but a part of the road/gravel is as well. What is that?

I've been waiting for those texts to come out since I first saw the interview with him. He showed the reporter his phone in it and I always assumed it would eventually come out.

Thanks for linking that.
Me too! Looks like BS went radio silent that very day, which is interesting. It wasn't just that he didn't respond--he didn't even view his dad's messages!

Yep, I used to work in a public library. A lot of gamer teens hung around for the free internet. They'd be about KM and BS's age, actually, now that I think about it. And there were a handful whom I used to tell my coworkers, "We'll all be on Dateline or 48 Hours talking about that one one day." If one of those kids went on a murder spree, I would not be surprised at all. And based on the recurring issue of people mentioning BS being creepy, I imagine he gave off a similar vibe.

But there were others who were sweet kids. They were polite and always a pleasure to talk to. They were often friends with the ones we all thought were ticking timebombs, and who knows what they chatted about on their own. I can't even say I knew them well, but if one of them went on a murder spree, I couldn't wrap my head around it. I can't even imagine it while typing this. I'm sure KM's family and friends are in that category. But the fact remains, KM could drive, he was the one with the car--if he didn't want to be there, he didn't have to be. I guess no matter how well you think you know somebody . . . doesn't mean you really know them.

The thing is, most of those "creepy" kids end up growing out of it. Maybe they'll still be weird, but not Dateline weird. Even when it comes to complete remorseless sociopaths, the majority of sociopaths are non-violent. So I think that's what we have to figure out, what tips the scales one way or the other? How can we identify people who are at risk and help them before this happens?

I know you guys are probably tired of me talking about this but I really feel like this case is a microcosm of deeper issues in our society and larger stuff that we have not addressed as a society. I just keep feeling like none of this would have happened if just a few things went right, and of course that has implications for the next time something like this may happen. It's easy to just write them off as "they were monsters, rot in hell" but I think (and research shows that) human beings are way more complicated than that, and also that doesn't help us for preventing this next time.

This article talks about school shootings but this is kind of a similar perpetrator profile and age group, and I think there's a lot that's relevant here. I recommend reading the whole article but I excerpted it. I also bolded stuff that seems particularly relevant to either one or both of these two. So I guess we can kind of make a guess as to what may have been going on in Kam's head based on what the research shows about these general shooter profiles.

School Shooters: What's Their Path To Violence?

Most shooters in these cases had led difficult lives, the studies find.

"Adolescent school shooters, there's no question that they're struggling and there have been multiple failures in their lives," says Reid Meloy, a forensic psychologist who has consulted with the FBI.

Many struggle with psychological problems, Meloy says.

"We know that mental health issues are very much in the mix," he says. "The child might be just, you know, very depressed. We also found in one of our early studies that you've got this curious combination of both depression and paranoia."
[...]
But mental health problems are a risk factor, he says, because they can decrease one's ability to cope with other stresses. And studies have shown that most school shooters have led particularly stressful lives.

Many, though not all, of the perpetrators have experienced childhood traumas such as physical or emotional abuse, and unstable families, with violent, absent or alcoholic parents or siblings, for example. And most have experienced significant losses.
[...]
Feeling like an outcast at school may also play a role.

"A lot of these people have felt excluded, socially left out or rejected," says Van Dreal. Studies show that social rejection at school is associated with higher levels of anxiety, depression, aggression and antisocial behavior in children.
[...]
"People who do these kinds of targeted attacks don't feel very good about themselves, or where they're headed in their lives," says Van Dreal. "They may wish someone would kill them. Or they may wish they could kill themselves."
[...]
So what makes a small minority of kids who have mental health issues and thoughts of suicide turn to violence and homicide?

Meloy and Van Dreal think it's because these individuals had been struggling alone — either because they were unable to ask for help or their cries went unheard when the adults in their lives didn't realize the child needed support.
[...]
When someone has been struggling alone for a while and failing, their despair can turn into anger, the researchers say.

"There's loss. There's humiliation. There's anger. There's blame," says Meloy.

That sort of anger can lead to homicidal thoughts, Van Dreal says.

They start out fantasizing about revenge, says Meloy.

"So the fantasy is one where the teenager starts to identify with other individuals who have become school shooters and have used violence as a way to solve their problem," he says.

These days, Meloy adds, it's easy for a troubled kid to go online and research how previous shooters planned and executed their attacks.

Easy access to guns — one of the biggest risk factors — then turns these fantasies into reality.

Psychologists say these attacks can be prevented — they are often weeks or months in the planning.
[...]
But sometimes, even professionals who see the signs miss their significance.
[...]
Sue Klebold says she never realized how deep the problem was.

"The piece that I think I failed [in] is, we tend to underestimate the level of pain that someone may be in," Klebold tells NPR. "We all have a responsibility to stop and think — someone we love may be suffering, may be in a crisis."
[...]
"Anyone contemplating getting a gun and killing people needs to be seen as a person in crisis," says Langman. "And that's why it's so important to reach out and connect with that individual."

Time and time again, psychologists and educators have found that surrounding a young person with the right kind of support and supervision early on can turn most away from violence.

Connecting with these students, listening to them and supporting them, getting them the help they need, these researchers say, can help prevent future attacks and make schools a safer place for all children.

Strange that this information about LD's death hasn't even been revealed to LD's family, acording to his cousin Eric Friesen.

I thought a strange thing as well. A gunshot wound is a gunshot wound I thought! Makes me wonder if they mean injuries by animals, but I doubt that. Maybe the teens beat him as well or did something gory, not sure what to make of this...

Based on something a trucker said? RCMP weren't even at the scene at 9AM on July 15.
Preliminary messages could have been displayed based on Trevor Pierre's analysis of the crime scene.

Since you are thinking like RCMP, I will provide a scenario. Mr. Pierre found a bomb by the roadside. An immediate alert on nearby road signs will save lives.

RCMP wants to wait until an officer arrives at scene, and the officer isn't sure what kind of explosive is inside the bomb, who put the bomb there, etc. The message is displayed 3 days later, asking drivers to send dashcam videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3