4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS NEW.

They had BK under visual surveillance.

I don't think they specified when... but they're talking specifically about cell towers in the Idaho and Washington.

(AT asked why they don't have cell data for certain areas, if I understand her correctly. Witness said they didn't need then because they knew where BK was, had a million dollar truck . Eyes on him

JMO

Can an attorney help an idiot like me here? Thanks in advance if so.

The case has not gone to trial or been scheduled yet, correct?

So if so - isn’t it the case that only sufficient evidence need be used, given, or sworn by Affidavit to charge the defendant and bring the case to trial? And that not all evidence be disclosed to defense until another point in the proceedings?

This may have already been asked and answered……. but I won’t be able to find the thread or link.

And I wish the defendant was having to pay for this from his funds…… and not on the public ‘dime’ as it were IIUC. Might make it more expedient and efficient. MOO
I'm no lawyer but I think you're exactly right. AT is fishing for loopholes because she has to find a way to draft a convincing motion for an alibi defense.

She'll create an exhibit showing BK at ANY place where LE doesn't have any data. Fun, fun, LE canvassed the entire area and knows where BK was and was not, they aren't required to turn all of that over!!!

It's not the State's job to give BK an alibi!

They're not withholding relevant data, not withholding exculpatory data.

Clearly BK has not provided AT with a credible alibi so she's left swimming in molasses trying to figure out just how saturated LE's collection is so she doesn't alibi BK to a place LE can prove he wasn't!

JMO

Can an attorney help an idiot like me here? Thanks in advance if so.

The case has not gone to trial or been scheduled yet, correct?

So if so - isn’t it the case that only sufficient evidence need be used, given, or sworn by Affidavit to charge the defendant and bring the case to trial? And that not all evidence be disclosed to defense until another point in the proceedings?

This may have already been asked and answered……. but I won’t be able to find the thread or link.

And I wish the defendant was having to pay for this from his funds…… and not on the public ‘dime’ as it were IIUC. Might make it more expedient and efficient. MOO
MOO This is discovery phase which is supposed to be when both sides share all of their evidence in preparation for trial so IMO everyone has a level playing field for trial.

@BrianEntin

Sy Ray - Kohberger defense expert in cell phone data - is still on the stand in pre-trial hearing. He says 2-3% of cell phone data in the case is missing. "Some of the most significant locations in the case are missing data," Ray says during defense questioning.

2:54 PM · May 30, 2024

Not spot on. Not even close, IMO. Far too generic and includes no real identifying information that could be used by anyone to identify the subject out of thousands of similarly built men with bushy eyebrows. Legally the detective should not have identified the intruder himself. <modsnip - not victim friendly> IMO, this "identification" is weak, problematic in its lack of detail and the fact DM apparently never pointed BK out in a lineup of any kind and Brett Payne actually made the identification, not the eyewitness, makes it unusable in court, IMO, and should the prosecutor use this in court, it will not play well before a jury.

That's not a lab report. Considering all the wrong things in documents in this case, I don't think we can trust this without seeing the actual facts from the lab reports.
DMs statement does not "identify" BK. It's not exclusionary for BK.

Last edited by a moderator:
@dugganreports

He says 6 months of cell data was collected from Kohberger’s phone and the FBI “mapped” 6% of that total“It is a terrible practice to justify probable cause for these very detailed call records… and not map it.”

He says when he gets the rest of the data he would be able to change his mind. What’s missing is benefitting the defense. Says that it’s possible more info would help the state, or not. Who knows.

Here's where I have a problem with this. BK did NOT match DM's description. She said the man was 5'10" or taller with bushy eyebrows. BK is 6'. IMO, compared to at least 50% of men, BK's eyebrows are about average. Not extremely bushy, not thin or sparse just kind of average. What I don't see in the PCA is evidence of a photo lineup or actual physical lineup where DM identified the man she saw. Brett Payne did not see the man DM saw, so he is in no way qualified to identify BK yet that is the method of identification in the PCA. That's just not a legal identification by any stretch of the imagination. What is needed would be for DM to identify the man she saw. It will be hard since she apparently only saw stature and eyebrows. Seems like she didn't know stuff like hair color, eye color, race, skin tone, etc. The PCA doesn't say the man had dark eyebrows and there's no description of his eyes or even his approximate age. But DM would be the ONLY person who can identify the suspect and it appears that still had not happened prior to arrest. If DM has not said, "Yes, that is the man I saw, " we basically have zero identification of the man she saw. I wonder if this will go to court and DM will be asked to point out the suspect and she just won't be able to identify him because she is not 100% certain. It is a death penalty case and I'm sure she would want to be absolutely certain and not point out the wrong person as that would weigh on her conscience for the rest of her life. But this really makes me question what the police were doing. Why no lineup? That's standard in a case where there is an eye witness. This makes no sense.

How can it be that defense was not given the recordings and notes from Payne's interview with BK as of May 4, 2023? Are they lost on someone's laptop at MPD? Where are these materials normally stored? Is there no case file retention system???? Has BT even asked Payne where these materials are? Again this makes no sense.

Getting Discovery in a 4 month time frame is normal for multiple murder cases. Actually, it normally takes much longer than this to receive all Discovery.

The point of the witness description is that it doesn't rule Kohberger out. It is not definitive, but the defense can't use it to say ....

"A short stocky guy was in the house this can't be Kohberger."

If you are innocent .....

What are the odds that the witness description is enough like you to not rule you out?

What are the odds the killer drove a car that looks like yours including the color.

What are the odds that you were out star gazing at 4:00am giving you the opportunity to drive to King Rd?

What are the odds you are innocent but after 17 months you still can't come up with a solid alibi?

What are the odds your phone is pinging on area towers and stops connecting durring a 2 hour murder time frame?

Why would you refuse to try to get out on Bond? I never heard of any innocent person refusing a Bond hearing. If BK wants one he can ask for one.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Ha! Defense is saying that it's a snow globe, discovery coming to them swirling around them. They want help organizing discovery?! Ha.

JMO

It is expensive adding in a Discovery Coordinator, the defense on another multiple murder case tried to get this, complaining about too much Discovery to manage. Judge had them meet with prosecutors instead.

But, apparently the People of the State of Idaho have unlimited funds for Kohberger so it wouldn't surprise me if more money gets spent.

2 Cents

@dugganreports

Once again, defense says they need certain things, state says “we can’t turn over what we don’t have.”

State: We turned over 71 subpoenas, detailed what they were for and who.

This “we gave it to you” and “we don’t have it” argument has been happening for a hot minute now.

3:32 PM · May 30, 2024

Reading between the lines, the Defense REALLY wants to know the split second timing of when LE engaged IGG.

Defense representing that motions to suppress are coming.

Of course. They want everything thrown out.

JMO

That's all they have.. trying to throw out the line of how BK was identified.

Long shot but all she has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member