TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of my branches of theories, Sergio was co-conspiring with a Legion member to mishandle some of the donation funds.

Liz discovered this (or knew nothing of it but the shooter was paranoid about it) and was ultimately killed for it. Hence, why Sergio quickly walked back the name he immediately threw out when Liz was shot. He realized he had a lot to lose by outing this person.

It's one of my legs of a tree of a theory for this case. I have a couple of other ones too for sure.

Also, the media seemed to intentionally portray Sergio as a chubby nerd with no social skills. Some of the footage of him from the crime scene makes him look dazed, and some of the pictures of him with Liz make him look like the stereotypical nerd.

This seems like it is not the case at all when you look more into it. When he is speaking to the officers in the dashcam footage, he seems like a pretty cool and down to earth guy you could conversate with on a variety of topics. He didn't really have the nerd lack of social skills persona.

Also, in some recent pics of him, he has nice styled hair, button down short sleeve shirts, tattoos, and does not appear to be chubby.

I don't personally think Sergio is the typical nerd who married just for companionship and a female to hold his hand through everything. Many people seem to think that but it just doesn't come off that way to me.
I think many people automatically think Star Wars Fan/cosplay = “nerd”

In one of my branches of theories, Sergio was co-conspiring with a Legion member to mishandle some of the donation funds.

Liz discovered this (or knew nothing of it but the shooter was paranoid about it) and was ultimately killed for it. Hence, why Sergio quickly walked back the name he immediately threw out when Liz was shot. He realized he had a lot to lose by outing this person.

It's one of my legs of a tree of a theory for this case. I have a couple of other ones too for sure.

Also, the media seemed to intentionally portray Sergio as a chubby nerd with no social skills. Some of the footage of him from the crime scene makes him look dazed, and some of the pictures of him with Liz make him look like the stereotypical nerd.

This seems like it is not the case at all when you look more into it. When he is speaking to the officers in the dashcam footage, he seems like a pretty cool and down to earth guy you could conversate with on a variety of topics. He didn't really have the nerd lack of social skills persona.

Also, in some recent pics of him, he has nice styled hair, button down short sleeve shirts, tattoos, and does not appear to be chubby.

I don't personally think Sergio is the typical nerd who married just for companionship and a female to hold his hand through everything. Many people seem to think that but it just doesn't come off that way to me.

We know brilliant and very successful nerds; I am looking at the whole package here. CB works at his dad’s business, dad’s checks bounce… Not independent for his age, that is. Wife has to wake up early and have a yard sale because they have to be frugal to afford that anniversary trip. That, too.

As to being nerdy/not nerdy. My problem is, I don’t know how to read his first interview with the police. It can come as “an anxious, introverted person has just found out about his wife’s death, and his reaction is very typical for his group”, or “he is a very bad actor”. If I didn’t suspect high anxiety/introversion, I’d say “a bad actor.” By the same token, for a person scoring highly on anxiety/introversion, this type of reaction would be very normal. Detached, but panicky. So I don’t know what to think.

About the husband. With his personality, he is of no interest unless he is rich. Sorry. I think Liz chose him for his perceived loyalty and she must have trusted him…

We know brilliant and very successful nerds; I am looking at the whole package here. CB works at his dad’s business, dad’s checks bounce… Not independent for his age, that is. Wife has to wake up early and have a yard sale because they have to be frugal to afford that anniversary trip. That, too.
Seriously? I see Liz and Sergio being a very compatible match based on personality and interests, and frankly appearance and social status as well. I find these posts directly tearing at Sergio as a person fairly strange as to me he seems to be a completely typical man at his age. I am not sure the age of many of you commenters, but if you weren't aware, nerd culture is very common with people in the Barraza's age group and there are all types of people within it. They are not antisocial. In fact, I would say the type of people in cosplaying groups would largely be outgoing as you have to have a level of confidence to do that in public. And what happened to judging based on appearances? I don't know about everyone else, but I learned not to do that as a child, and I have encountered all types of personalities of adults in all sorts of presentations. Nerdy looking guys can be well-spoken and friendly, shocker!

I also think "working for his dad's business" is not the same as "not independent for his age." That's ridiculous. Do you know how many people end up working for their parent's business? Or get a job through a connection? Many many people, especially in their 20s.

Seriously? I see Liz and Sergio being a very compatible match based on personality and interests, and frankly appearance and social status as well. I find these posts directly tearing at Sergio as a person fairly strange as to me he seems to be a completely typical man at his age. I am not sure the age of many of you commenters, but if you weren't aware, nerd culture is very common with people in the Barraza's age group and there are all types of people within it. They are not antisocial. In fact, I would say the type of people in cosplaying groups would largely be outgoing as you have to have a level of confidence to do that in public. And what happened to judging based on appearances? I don't know about everyone else, but I learned not to do that as a child, and I have encountered all types of personalities of adults in all sorts of presentations. Nerdy looking guys can be well-spoken and friendly, shocker!

I also think "working for his dad's business" is not the same as "not independent for his age." That's ridiculous. Do you know how many people end up working for their parent's business? Or get a job through a connection? Many many people, especially in their 20s.
The point I was trying to make is that I think Sergio appears to be a normal dude, not a neckbeard like the media tends to present him as.

what the heck is a neckbeard?
A typical overweight gaming type that has poor personal hygiene and no social skills.

Wiki's defenition: ""Neckbeard" is a pejorative term and stereotype for an adult man or teenage boy who exhibits characteristics such as social awkwardness, underachievement, or pretentiousness.[1] The term is derived from the neck beard style of facial hair stereotypically associated with young men of more introverted and cerebral dispositions,[citation needed] who may neglect social facial grooming and identify with nerd, gamer, or geek subcultures.[2] The term has also been associated with anti-feminist internet users.[3]"

OK, I don’t know Sergio, and in general, wouldn’t care about his personal qualities were it not for my question.

In his first conversation with the police, something rubs me the wrong way. I would give him a break if he had “nerdy qualities”, though, because I have seen such reactions in nerdish people.

So if the gist of your post is, “Sergio is a completely typical man of his age,” and I don’t know him - maybe you do - then I come to my instinctive feeling of “something is not right with his first interview”, that’s all.

OK, I don’t know Sergio, and in general, wouldn’t care about his personal qualities were it not for my question.

In his first conversation with the police, something rubs me the wrong way. I would give him a break if he had “nerdy qualities”, though, because I have seen such reactions in nerdish people.

So if the gist of your post is, “Sergio is a completely typical man of his age,” and I don’t know him - maybe you do - then I come to my instinctive feeling of “something is not right with his first interview”, that’s all.
The dashcam footage at his house or a different interview?

You have posted a number of times concerning donation funds and you thought Liz may have witnessed someone taking money from accounts or funds. I have already several times, with documentation, shown how it works. None of them had any control or access to donation funds. They did volunteer work at hospitals, their primary activity is to make public appearances (as Storm Troopers) to draw in more people to charity events, only after being authorized, which results in more donations for that specific charity. They are not there to personally collect cash for their Storm Trooper activates, it is for the charities that asked for them to make an appearance. They stand around and get photos taken. Sometimes they do a little march or act like they are responding to threat.
501 Legion Headquarters' are in California. It is a tightly controlled organization.

I don't agree with calling this activity "cosplay", this organization was founded to take advantage of fans/collectors of StarWars to raise money for charities. They don't publicly appear unless it is an authorized event.

Last edited:
You have posted a number of times concerning donation funds and you thought Liz may have witnessed someone taking money from accounts or funds. I have already several times, with documentation, shown how it works. None of them had any control or access to donation funds. They did volunteer work at hospitals, their primary activity is to make public appearances (as Storm Troopers) to draw in more people to charity events, only after being authorized, which results in more donations for that specific charity. They are not there to personally collect cash for their Storm Trooper activates, it is for the charities that asked for them to make an appearance. They stand around and get photos taken. Sometimes they do a little march or act like they are responding to threat.
501 Legion Headquarters' are in California. It is a tightly controlled organization.

I don't agree with calling this activity "cosplay", this organization was founded to take advantage of fans/collectors of StarWars to raise money for charities. They don't publicly appear unless it is an authorized event.

I have scoured over the Legion website and posted also posted their operating procedures and reporting problems, as well as how moneys are handled.

The theory (one of many) is not super specifically about that. It is simply an idea of why Sergio named a suspect right away and backed off of it quickly.

Another idea was that the shooter had some compromising material (pictures, etc) on Liz, Sergio, or both.

-- Did it get scrapped for parts/taken to a junkyard?
My guess is "no".

The truck would be too valuable as a running unit for out right scrapping for parts. If sold to a junk yard (unusual in the case of later model, high value vehicles), the junk yard would very likely re-sell it as a complete, working truck.

I have scoured over the Legion website and posted also posted their operating procedures and reporting problems, as well as how moneys are handled.

The theory (one of many) is not super specifically about that. It is simply an idea of why Sergio named a suspect right away and backed off of it quickly.

Another idea was that the shooter had some compromising material (pictures, etc) on Liz, Sergio, or both.
You said "In one of my branches of theories, Sergio was co-conspiring with a Legion member to mishandle some of the donation funds" end quote

You posted their policies on mishandling funds/fraud/embezzlement etc, I have read the same and addressed that also. The foundation, which has paid employees, who control, administer, distribute, oversee grants, etc, for major funding of the organizations that the Legion sponsors. Of course anyone caught doing anything illegal or unethical will be kicked out, employees and volunteers. This has nothing to do with volunteers/members that have no access to accounts.
They are an attraction, donating their time and investment in the required Storm Trooper costume to help other charities. Where do you see that Sergio could have his hand in the pot to steal from what account? MOO but if one is going to repeatedly bring this up, especially when you name Sergio, who has been cleared by an exhaustive investigation, a reasonable question is how could that happen? There is no funds he controls or has access to. If you understand what their activities are, where do see this happening?

MOO but if one is going to repeatedly bring this up, especially when you name Sergio, who has been cleared by an exhaustive investigation, a reasonable question is how could that happen?
Though I agree with the validity of your question, I don't think the police have cleared anyone.

Last edited:
Though I agree with the validity of your question, I don't think the police have cleared anyone.
Hopefully we can agree- he isn't cleared, he never will be until another person is caught...but...he did get a lot of scrutiny, wasn't arrested, and still stands up next to the police chief and with her family when an appeal is made.

Safe to assume nothing came up to lead police to think he was involved??? Yes. Possible something will come out later??? Also yes.

My guess is "no".

The truck would be too valuable as a running unit for out right scrapping for parts. If sold to a junk yard (unusual in the case of later model, high value vehicles), the junk yard would very likely re-sell it as a complete, working truck.
100% agreed! moo

Last edited:
The shooter in a truck is caught on camera in a dark 4-door truck (Nissan Frontier) circling the neighborhood before and after the shooting. The shooter is dressed in what apparently is a disguise - Is the disguise so that Liz won’t recognize the shooter or is it to avoid being seen on all the camera(s) in the neighborhood or both?

- Apparently, the shooter knew about the morning events before killing Liz? How did the killer know about the garage sale? Did they know about the garage sale?

Was shooter & accomplice surprised to see Liz out on the driveway and not leaving for work that morning?

Did the shooter know about the anniversary trip?

One day all of these questions and more will be answered.

Go back to the first 20 pages of an investigation and all the answers are right there. Build your case from there. Did something get overlooked?

moo and speculation

Edit: all a matter of opinion

Last edited:
You said "In one of my branches of theories, Sergio was co-conspiring with a Legion member to mishandle some of the donation funds" end quote

You posted their policies on mishandling funds/fraud/embezzlement etc, I have read the same and addressed that also. The foundation, which has paid employees, who control, administer, distribute, oversee grants, etc, for major funding of the organizations that the Legion sponsors. Of course anyone caught doing anything illegal or unethical will be kicked out, employees and volunteers. This has nothing to do with volunteers/members that have no access to accounts.
They are an attraction, donating their time and investment in the required Storm Trooper costume to help other charities. Where do you see that Sergio could have his hand in the pot to steal from what account? MOO but if one is going to repeatedly bring this up, especially when you name Sergio, who has been cleared by an exhaustive investigation, a reasonable question is how could that happen? There is no funds he controls or has access to. If you understand what their activities are, where do see this happening?

It is nothing more than an idea that explains why Sergio would name someone and back down from that name almost immediately.

We can talk about Legion fund handling all day and all night if you would like, or not.

Some of my ideas or theories in other cases have been explained easily and/or proven I misinterpreted the information.

I will agree to drop Legion funds as the source of Sergio's motivation to name the person and take it back right away. I will even agree to not use a mix of logic and imagination to try and explain it. Even so, it did happen and it intrigues me. I cannot help but feel there is more to that.

FWIW, I don't think Sergio is involved or is a suspect. His particular actions of naming and backing down right away sets off a small alarm. It makes me think hes caught in a "prisoner's dilemma" situation. It makes me think the shooter knows or possess something that Sergio would not want to be put out publicly.

That, or I am just overthinking it all. It could be something as simple as Sergio named this person right away and then after a few moments of clarity, realized they were nowhere close to Texas that morning.

IMO, its a possible thread to pull on. It could go nowhere and I acknowledge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98