Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I am not going to try and guess what it is. :)

But I have been wondering what the tool is in the male police officer's hand. I wish I knew what equipment they use in forensic investigations.

View attachment 510485

is it a luminol torch? if there is such a thing?

is it a luminol torch? if there is such a thing?

There are forensic light sources which do all kinds of things. I looked into a bit further.
They contain ultra-violet, visible, and infra-red components. There are handheld models.
I have looked at pics of lots of models of them (there are many manufacturers) but haven't seen that model yet, and I am tired of looking.
But that would be my best guess at what it is. imo

A forensic light source is a crime scene investigator’s and lab technician’s tool for enhancing observation, photography and collection of evidence including latent fingerprints, body fluids, hair and fibers, bruises, bite marks, wound patterns, shoe and foot imprints, gun shot residues, drug traces, questioned documents, bone fragment detection, etc.

It provides more sensitivity than traditional methods thus increasing the amount of evidence uncovered and the quality of the evidence photographed and collected.

This lack of cctv is very strange :oops:

How come another runner initially thought to be Samantha was captured on somebody's camera,
and not Samantha?

I guess the runner went the other way than Samantha.

And the route Samantha took when she left her home was not covered by anybody's cameras.
Because there were no cctv cameras?

I have no idea what properties she ran next to when she left home and if these properties have cameras overlooking a public road.

JMO
Lack of cctv or lack of cctv released? They have a lot of cctv from the sounds of it, so the question is probably why they don’t need to release it.

“Investigators have continually made pleas for dashcam or CCTV footage, and have been wading through 12,000 hours of footage, and following up 500 separate pieces of information from the public.”

Lack of cctv or lack of cctv released? They have a lot of cctv from the sounds of it, so the question is probably why they don’t need to release it.

“Investigators have continually made pleas for dashcam or CCTV footage, and have been wading through 12,000 hours of footage, and following up 500 separate pieces of information from the public.”

But why wouldn't Police release cctv of Samantha???

After all,
they showed a cctv video of another runner saying it was Samantha.

Until the true runner announced it was her,
and not missing Mum.

It would be an important picture to jog somebody's memory from that Sunday.

The victim's clothes, her route, etc.

JMO

Last edited:

After all
they showed a cctv pic of another runner saying it was Samantha.

and not missing Mum.

The victim's clothes, etc.

JMO
They may not have any.
Or, they may not need to or they don’t want to.

The photo of Samantha in her driveway on that morning is well known, and her clothing has been well documented. Other photos of her have been released so her image is familiar.

“Wearing a maroon running shirt, black leggings, and an Apple watch, the last sighting of Ms Murphy was a snippet of CCTV footage from outside her own home.”

They may not have any.
Or, they may not need to or they don’t want to.

The photo of Samantha in her driveway on that morning is well known, and her clothing has been well documented. Other photos of her have been released so her image is familiar.

“Wearing a maroon running shirt, black leggings, and an Apple watch, the last sighting of Ms Murphy was a snippet of CCTV footage from outside her own home.”

If they have a still photo of her from CCTV, they must have more. As I have said, that still photo has Sam walking up the driveway and not going down, so she has either gone for a run earlier than 7am, and she is coming home from that run, looks like the police will not release anymore, and that's understandable.

After all,
they showed a cctv video of another runner saying it was Samantha.

and not missing Mum.

The victim's clothes, her route, etc.

JMO

Maybe the other CCTV (of her leaving) just shows the back of Samantha, which is less useful.

Or maybe it shows Samantha with a hydration pack or a cap or sunglasses, and that is hold-back information. Something that only the alleged killer would know.

imo

If they have a still photo of her from CCTV, they must have more. As I have said, that still photo has Sam walking up the driveway and not going down, so she has either gone for a run earlier than 7am, and she is coming home from that run, looks like the police will not release anymore, and that's understandable.
Police have consistently stated that Sam left home around 7am for her run and that she reached Mt Clear about an hour later. There’s no reason to not believe that. The police haven’t said much but what they have shared is measured and purposeful.

Maybe the other CCTV (of her leaving) just shows the back of Samantha, which is less useful.

Or maybe it shows Samantha with a hydration pack or a cap or sunglasses, and that is hold-back information. Something that only the alleged killer would know.

imo
Very true and good points.
The other thing I've been contemplating is if LE received witness accounts of seeing SM, dash cam footage, CCTV footage, ring doorbell footage and so on they aren't obligated to release that, we don't know just how much data and evidence they received when asking for such things from the public, there's every chance they did obtain footage of SM further along in her run/jog (or even the alleged) but of course this is Australia and not America, none of that stuff will be released or known to us outside of LE unless this goes to trial and or unless its crucial to the investigation to release it. They don't want to show all their cards and they quite possibly did obtain evidence she definately made that route up until Mount Clear.

There are forensic light sources which do all kinds of things. I looked into a bit further.
They contain ultra-violet, visible, and infra-red components. There are handheld models.
I have looked at pics of lots of models of them (there are many manufacturers) but haven't seen that model yet, and I am tired of looking.
But that would be my best guess at what it is. imo

A forensic light source is a crime scene investigator’s and lab technician’s tool for enhancing observation, photography and collection of evidence including latent fingerprints, body fluids, hair and fibers, bruises, bite marks, wound patterns, shoe and foot imprints, gun shot residues, drug traces, questioned documents, bone fragment detection, etc.

It provides more sensitivity than traditional methods thus increasing the amount of evidence uncovered and the quality of the evidence photographed and collected.

There is a better image of the light in this older article SA,
I may be wrong but it seems to emit a green light.
1718545252561.png

The item in the female officer’s hand looks quite a lot like the back of an Apple AirPods case, in my opinion.
1718548765004.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a better image of the light in this older article SA,
I may be wrong but it seems to emit a green light.
View attachment 510783

The item in the female officer’s hand looks quite a lot like the back of an Apple AirPods case, in my opinion.
View attachment 510793
The article was published before the suspect was arrested and refers to a very specific search at Mt Clear.

“Police, including forensic officers, scoured a small patch of land in Mount Clear on Friday, less than 10 minutes' drive from the Murphy home, following new intelligence from phone data.
It's understood police were looking for smaller items that may have been left behind in a potential struggle.“

Note: This article is from 4 months ago.

Remember though she was training for a marathon, so she wouldn't be wanting to walk too much into her run, she was an experienced runner, a very slow runner can do that in 46 min, so Sam being a regular runner should have done it around the 20 m mark, even 27 mark. One hour is slow for that run, and not really what Sam had set out to achieve that morning. Unless, as I previously said, It was a set-up by someone else to make out Sam had done that run and that she was not murdered elsewhere, to keep police searching the bush.
<modsnip: personalizing>

Because yes, walking is actually an important part of training, and runners walk a lot. Almost every single runner I know, myself included, warms up with a brisk walk ranging from 10-30 minutes. Running cold is a good way to get injured.

ETA: A new world record was recently set for the women’s 10k. In that race 7k was run in 20 minutes. Beatrice Chebet breaks world record at 10,000m, first women under 29 minutes in 28:54.14!

Last edited by a moderator:
This lack of cctv is very strange :oops:

How come another runner initially thought to be Samantha was captured on somebody's camera,
and not Samantha?

I guess the runner went the other way than Samantha.

And the route Samantha took when she left her home was not covered by anybody's cameras.
Because there were no cctv cameras?

I have no idea what properties she ran next to when she left home and if these properties have cameras overlooking a public road.

JMO
IMO there's not necessarily a lack of CCTV footage - there may (or may not) be quite a bit.

Vicpol IMO would not be releasing footage unless it's beneficial to the investigation to reveal further details.
I think they'll be doing their best to maintain the integrity of the investigation, and here and there, there may be some red herrings as a strategy to trigger a response from someone.

(As mentioned by several posters in the previous thread, the most recent press conference (regarding discovery of Samantha's phone) may have been purely for strategic purposes.

JMO

IMO there's not necessarily a lack of CCTV footage - there may (or may not) be quite a bit.

Vicpol IMO would not be releasing footage unless it's beneficial to the investigation to reveal further details.
I think they'll be doing their best to maintain the integrity of the investigation, and here and there, there may be some red herrings as a strategy to trigger a response from someone.

(As mentioned by several posters in the previous thread, the most recent press conference (regarding discovery of Samantha's phone) may have been purely for strategic purposes.

JMO

I tend to think - as a general rule of thumb - that when the police allow the reporters to publish police search photos, it is done for strategic reasons.

Because we know there has been quite a few targeted police searches, no location given, no photos. Just "please stay away from the search".
And we also know that the reporters could take drone shots, if they were inclined to do so.

The reporters all want a scoop, but they also don't want to tarnish their police/media relationship, otherwise they won't get any scoops in the future.

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back