Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to follow updates on the FB group, but as already noted by others, it's not easy, so I've relocated here.
What struck me is that it was the neighbours who told J about the bus. You'd think the guys he was staying with would have told him how to get back to his base, rather than their neighbours. Perhaps they were asleep. Who knows. But I can imagine being 19 and wanting to appear all grown up and independent, rather than asking the somewhat older men you've been staying with 'how do I get home?'. I can imagine just saying goodbye, then asking someone else how to get back. And how did he know he'd 'missed the bus'? Did it drive past him? Given that the buses run frequently (or so I've read somewhere), I wonder why he didn't just wait for the next one. Given the bus stop was so close to where he'd been staying, I wonder if he didn't want to be seen standing at the bus stop - i.e. he just wanted to get away from the place asap. and decided to start walking. These are all rhetorical questions, of course. What I really don't understand is why, if he was walking back, he didn't just follow the road.

Why would JS get in a car and go a considerable distance away from where he was staying? Do we know what time they left in the car to head to the accommodation after leaving the club/rave?
I guess he didn't know when he got into the car how far away he was going to be taken. And, especially at that age, it's not easy to ask questions without feeling you're making a fuss. All that matters at that age is being cool, I think.

Anyone think its odd that the two guys ( if its true ) have already left the air bnb and flown home - rather than staying behind to help?

I know if I was the last person to see someone and potentially involved - I would 100% be staying to help and offer everything I could.

I don't think it's odd at all because a lot of people are already giving them the side eye since they were allegedly the last people to talk to him. They are probably leaving on the return flight they previously arranged and paid for. And probably because they have jobs.

I guess he didn't know when he got into the car how far away he was going to be taken. And, especially at that age, it's not easy to ask questions without appearing to be making a fuss. All that matters at that age is being cool, I think.
That’s a good point, he possibly did not realise how far away they were staying. What time did they leave in the car? Do you think there was a reason why he went with him and has there been any updates on what happened in the hours after they got to the property up until he point when he left? If the two men had an age gap between them I wonder if they could be father and son? If one of them was driving a hire car then they wouldn’t have been drinking.

Yep, I cringe everytime I look at it. Decided to step back.

Theres a big gang of "friends" flying out tomorrow to go help search. Not looking forward to the chaos they are going to be posting.
Hello Everyone.. yes I've had a peek at that Facebook Group and sense it may well become problematic as will TikTok. However what I am noticing in news articles regarding this on Facebook is that many are mentioning this boy's "past". As previous wise commenters on here have rightly said this does bring another aspect into this case. Yes, it could be "just" a disappearance and he will turn up, hopefully alive but equally there is a chance that things could be much more sinister. I'm in my mid fifties and I have to admit I had utterly NO idea that drugs were such a problem there. I've never been to Tenerife and I always thought it was a pretty safe destination... I might rethink that.

That makes his disappearance even stranger since the bus stop is directly opposite the bar.

What if, and it is a big if....but after a night of partying, he forgot that the Spaniards drive on the right hand side of the road. He saw the bus stop and set off in the wrong direction thinking that a bus may come along on the left side like in the UK.

Hello Everyone.. yes I've had a peek at that Facebook Group and sense it may well become problematic as will TikTok. However what I am noticing in news articles regarding this on Facebook is that many are mentioning this boy's "past". As previous wise commenters on here have rightly said this does bring another aspect into this case. Yes, it could be "just" a disappearance and he will turn up, hopefully alive but equally there is a chance that things could be much more sinister. I'm in my mid fifties and I have to admit I had utterly NO idea that drugs were such a problem there. I've never been to Tenerife and I always thought it was a pretty safe destination... I might rethink that.
FWIW, drugs are a problem everywhere, but most of the time, if you're not in that culture, you don't know and can usually navigate your time and activities without encountering much evidence of it. jmopinion

What if, and it is a big if....but after a night of partying, he forgot that the Spaniards drive on the right hand side of the road. He saw the bus stop and set off in the wrong direction thinking that a bus may come along on the left side like in the UK.
I don't think you can rule out anything to be honest.

It is a safe destination. I've been to Mexico numerous times which is deemed highly unsafe to the point Canada advise their citizens to avoid visiting the country altogether, largely brought about by the Ianiero murders around 2006. Mexico is largely run by the drug cartels and on another level from Tenerife. Not once have I encountered any hassle in Cancun or the surrounding area and those that have almost certainly weren't innocent although I appreciate there are anomalies. Sadly, serious harm that befalls tourists will be drug related a huge percent of the time. Not that I'm saying for a minute that's what happened to Jay. I'm very much of the opinion he's succumbed to his environment after becoming lost for whatever reason.

Why would JS get in a car and go a considerable distance away from where he was staying? Do we know what time they left in the car to head to the accommodation after leaving the club/rave?
Like I’ve said in a previous post on here, I really think him getting in that car and going to somewhere a fair distance away to where he was staying is not that strange at all. Everyone’s different when they’re under the influence, a lot of people know right from wrong and what’s a good decision from a bad one. I could definitely see 19 year old me getting in a car with random people after a night out if I thought there was a chance of an after party. I’m not condoning it or saying it’s big and clever, looking back I’m mortified at some of the decisions I made back then. But I do genuinely think there’s no malice at all in him going back there. I could be completely wrong, but I think these 2 guys are completely innocent. I don’t think there’s anything sinister about them staying in an Airbnb out in the sticks that’s apparently around £40 a night, it’s cheap and by all accounts fairly easy to get to wherever you want to get to if you rent a car, plus there’s a bus stop right outside their house to get you around. Like I said, I could be completely wrong but if they are innocent then it’s a horrible situation for them to be in

Last edited:
DBM, accidental double post

Plus they arrived the Saturday and were leaving the Monday?! I wonder if she meant the Saturday before last as a 4 hour flight hardly seems worth it for a 2 night stay?! Strange. And they decide to go to a rave with kids. I am 40 and I personally couldn’t think of anything worse.

Like on the prowl..
I knew a couple of people, one of them my dermatologist, who flew to Florida on Friday evening and returned to Toronto on Sunday evening. Nearly every weekend in the winter. I can't stand going camping: your nails are always dirty, everything feels damp, you sleep on the ground, and get eaten alive. Not my cup of tea but I don't question thousands of people who do so every weekend

Like I’ve said in a previous post on here, I really think him getting in that car and going to somewhere a fair distance away to where he was staying is not that strange at all. Everyone’s different when they’re under the influence, a lot of people know right from wrong and what’s a good decision from a bad one. I could definitely see 19 year old me getting in a car with random people after a night out if I thought there was a chance of an after party. I’m not condoning it or saying it’s big and clever, looking back I’m mortified at some of the decisions I made back then. But I do genuinely think there’s no malice at all in him going back there. I could be completely wrong, but I think these 2 guys are completely innocent. I don’t think there’s anything sinister about them staying in an Airbnb out in the sticks that’s apparently around £40 a night, it’s cheap and by all accounts fairly easy to get to wherever you want to get to if you rent a car, plus there’s a bus stop right outside there house to get you around. Like I said, I could be completely wrong but if they are innocent then it’s a horrible situation for them to be in
I'm also thinking there was some feeling of camaraderie and trust since they were all from UK in a foreign country. If he wanted to continue to party or if he wanted to crash somewhere, it probably seemed like a good idea at the time to go with the guys to their place.

The problems arose the next morning and getting back, not when leaving the club with the two guys, imo.

jmo

What we know so far​

• Sunday 16 June - Jay Slater and friends attend final day of the NRG music festival at Papagayo night club in the tourist hotspot of Playa de las Americas
  • Monday 17 June - Between 03:00 and 06:00 BST Mr Slater got into a car with two men he had met during the holiday and left Playa de las Americas
  • 07:30 - Mr Slater posts a photograph on his Snapchat account showing him at the doorway of a property, tagged with the location Parque Rural de Teno
  • Between 08:30 and 09:00 - Mr Slater calls his friend and says he missed a bus back south and was attempting to walk the 10-hour journey
  • The call cuts out, with his phone's last location showing a path in the mountainous Rural de Teno national park, popular with hikers
  • Tuesday 18 June - Despite his friends searching the area, no sign of Mr Slater emerges and he does not return to his accommodation
  • Local police and mountain rescue teams begin searching and his mother and brother board a flight to Tenerife
  • Wednesday 19 June - The Spanish Guardia Civil continue the search using drones, dogs and a helicopter but no trace is found
  • The search is briefly moved to the Los Cristianos area in the south of the island due to a potential sighting, but police quickly "discount" that lead and move the search back to the original area.
  • Thursday 20 June - The Guardia Civil, mountain rescue, firefighters and volunteers return to scour the national park

To most people, it'd be assumed he's hurt himself and is off the side of the road somewhere, dehydrated, waiting to be saved.

I'm wondering why the mum is so sure he's gotten himself into a trouble and been kidnapped. Why doesn't she just believe that the ones messaging that they have him and saying "youll never see him again" are just evil trolls? Why does she think he's genuinely been kidnapped?
Is she just confused and disinorientated?

Why did his friend Lucy call police straight away and not just take a cab to his location first?

Those two clearly sensed something extra, right?

"Pictures shared of search

as volunteer firemen

scour mountains for Jay.

1718923896192.png

Volunteer firemen searching for missing Jay Slater in Tenerife

1718923935773.png

Rescue dogs join the search

1718924326505.png

What missing Jay Slater was last seen wearing"

1718924080653.png

Last edited:
Why did his friend Lucy call police straight away and not just take a cab to his location first?
Did she know his location? Did she have cab money? Did she know she would be safe going where he was, if she even knew where she was? Could she render the proper aid if he was hurt or otherwise in need of help?

Calling the police is the best idea, not sure why that would be questioned.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member