TX- Jocelyn Nungaray,12 strangled, left under bridge. Houston June 17, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This poor child, she had no idea the danger these two monsters represented. I heard her Mom speak yesterday, it was heartbreaking.

Did they see Jocelyn around in the neighborhood previously? I haven't seen it stated if the apartment complexes were near each other?

"The term folie a deux refers to two individuals who plan and commit crimes that neither would concoct on their own. the presence of the same or similar delusional ideas in two persons closely associated with one another."
Merriam-Webster Dictionary

SBMFF. That's incorrect. The term folie a deux has nothing to do with crimes at all. It's a mental health disorder, a shared delusion. Some people who have it do commit crimes, but the term is not associated with crimes. I haven't seen anything indicating these men had a shared delusion.

Ugh. this makes me so sad. Many times, I snuck out of my house at that same age and went to the local gas station for snacks. Why? Just for the thrill. Nothing nefarious, not meeting up with anyone. And all those times, it never occurred to me that I might get abducted. Ugh.
I think it is somewhat common for kids this age to 'sneak out' at night. It's the ultimate adventure that pushes the envelope for an adolescent. :oops:

My best friends and I used to sneak out at 12 and 13, to go 'toilet paper' houses...mostly the cute neighbour boys houses, but they TP'd our houses first usually...It NEVER EVER occurred to me that I'd be in danger of a serial predator. We were so naive.

This is very sad. She was talking to her boyfriend and probably felt safe at the time. She'd just walk back home with her snack and sneak back into her room... :(

Did one of the POIs cut the ankle bracelet off on Wednesday the 12th or the 19th?

My only knowledge of ankle monitors is from tv/movies...aren't the police notified if it is tampered with or removed?
Well, you'd think so, right? I used to believe that an alarm of some kind goes off and LE would know the suspect would be tampering with th ankle bracelet, etc...

But after seeing two cases where the suspects awaiting trial, on home detention, cut off their ankle monitors and committed other crimes, with no one coming to ask why they were no longer 'at home' , I had a rude awakening.

Apparently, when someone is awarded home detention by the court, there are various 'companies' that might handle the business of ankle monitoring. It used to be the local PD that handled it, so at that time, LE was notified if the suspect cut it off, etc....and cops would go to the address and search for the suspect, often taking them into custody.

However now it has become a private business type situation in some cities or counties. And the defendant has to 'pay' for the monitor service for the luxury of home detention instead of jail. Apparently some of these private companies leave a lot to be desired. They may or may not actually have the staff to keep up with the computerised monitors, and many people are reporting that they can be easily tampered with and no one bothers to follow up if so. :mad:

One of the main reasons is that the GPS monitor systems have numerous 'false positive' reports, or glitches, where an alarm notifies authorities but it is erroneous. Some defendants report that it can happen dozens of times in a short span. So after awhile some respondents may shrug and ignore it, checking it off as mistaken.

So I don't have as much faith as I used to about someone being detained at home safely.

Defendants on ankle monitors in SF commit violations with little consequence, critics say​

By Evan Sernoffsky
Published June 2, 2022

...compared with the 365 people on the program last month.

Among that group, 220 people are awaiting trial for violent crimes like rape, attempted murder, robbery, kidnapping and more. Another 31 had illegal weapons charges – like being a felon in possession of a loaded firearm. And 17 others had violated domestic violence restraining orders.

Some months, up to 50 defendants just cut off their monitors and disappear. The monitors cost more than $500 each and are often never recovered or permanently damaged, officials said.

"They’re throwing them off of freeways. They’re throwing them into the bay. They’re throwing them into garbage cans. They’re throwing them on roofs," Kuhns said.

"When you put no conditions on someone or very few conditions on someone – and when there are no consequences – then this is where it ceases to be an effective program," said Chief Deputy Michele Fisher, who works in the unit with Kuhns.

She added that ankle monitors do very little to keep the public safe.

"It’s not the piece of plastic that’s going to stop someone who has intentions to commit a crime and hurt other people," she said.

KTVU found dozens of examples of defendants who were put on ankle monitoring only to commit more alleged crimes.

"Jocelyn, she was such a great friend, and she always made everyone feel included," Olivia Stevens said.

A group of five girls came from Conroe with their parents. They were all classmates at Gordan-Reed Elementary with Jocelyn until this past March when she moved to north Houston.

The girls shared videos and pictures, the kind that fill up many preteen phones.

Friday night, the giggles and goofy dances were gone.

"It's like multiple emotions. It's like anger. It's sadness. It's everything, and it's just heartbreaking," Abby Bohanon said. "It's just hard to understand. It's hard to believe that such a sweet little girl is, yeah. So, it's hard to believe and it's upsetting."

The emotions are hard to navigate.

"Just to be here for her," Catherine Musoni said before breaking down into tears.

They are all just 12 years old. :(

Alexis Nungaray, the girl’s mother, said in an interview with KRIV that Jocelyn was an “amazing little girl.”

“I was so excited to see the woman she was going to turn into,” she said. Although Jocelyn had struggled with her mental health, Alexis Nungaray knew that “God had other plans” for her daughter.

“She was supposed to be here. She’s meant to be here,” Alexis Nungaray said. “My baby didn’t deserve this at all.”

Every single parent of a teen needs to have a "sit down" and discuss this article.

1. Sneaking out late at night, without permission.
2. Online "friends"

Tragic.
3. It doesn't matter where you are or what you've been up to or what substances you've ingested, if you're stuck somewhere I will always come and pick you up 24/7. Do not be afraid to call, I will not lecture you!

How does being a single parent make the child more vulnerable?

not relevant to this case (and the OP didn't mean "single" parents but "all" parents anyway) but just generally speaking, single parents are more vulnerable because predators seek them out as an easy way to get access to children to abuse.

I am unsure which link, so JMO, but I am sure the later entering one said they were meeting with their cousin.
Yep.
It was my link.
I even bolded the "cousin" word.

But later,
I wondered if the other perp was indeed his cousin
or if he talked about other family member he wanted to live with in Houston.

It wasn't clear.

"Jocelyn, she was such a great friend, and she always made everyone feel included," Olivia Stevens said.

A group of five girls came from Conroe with their parents. They were all classmates at Gordan-Reed Elementary with Jocelyn until this past March when she moved to north Houston.

The girls shared videos and pictures, the kind that fill up many preteen phones.

Friday night, the giggles and goofy dances were gone.

"It's like multiple emotions. It's like anger. It's sadness. It's everything, and it's just heartbreaking," Abby Bohanon said. "It's just hard to understand. It's hard to believe that such a sweet little girl is, yeah. So, it's hard to believe and it's upsetting."

The emotions are hard to navigate.

"Just to be here for her," Catherine Musoni said before breaking down into tears.

They are all just 12 years old. :(

I am just sitting here crying about what happened to this poor child and what she might have become if she lived.

3. It doesn't matter where you are or what you've been up to or what substances you've ingested, if you're stuck somewhere I will always come and pick you up 24/7. Do not be afraid to call, I will not lecture you!
RSBM

100% this!! My children and their friends, my nephews and my friends children have always had this drummed in to them. I don't care what you have done in that moment, I just care that you are safe. If you call, I will come. Period.

I recently posted on the Jack O' Sullivan thread with an example of this, when my son made a stupid decision to walk home from somewhere at 2am, left his friends and was walking down a pitch dark bypass when he realised he had made a huge mistake and he called me to collect him. It was such a dangerous decision and the consequences could have been dire, luckily he knew he could call and he did.

That same son is now 29 and knows, as do the rest of them, that it still stands.

It's so important that your children know they can trust you to be there first and discuss later.

Really disturbing crime. I wonder Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel and Franklin Pena have other victims. I would not be surprised if they are serial rapists/sexual predators.
I was wondering the same. One said he feared for his safety to get into the US which could have simply been a lie, or did he commit a crime in his home country that made him flee? I hope news of what they did gets back To Venezuela and any other location they went through so any past issues come to light.

I was wondering the same. One said he feared for his safety to get into the US which could have simply been a lie, or did he commit a crime in his home country that made him flee? I hope news of what they did gets back To Venezuela and any other location they went through so any past issues come to light.
JMO, that's a very common claim. Which depending on the country of origin - gets you a hearing and increased opportunity to disappear. That said, there are also people who genuinely make the claim and follow through with what the system requires them to do. There are good and bad in all people groups.

I hope Jocelyn's horrific death stays the focal point in all this. The two monsters who killed her, chose the wrong county to commit a Capital Murder, if found guilty.

Harris County (Houston), Texas, has executed 126 prisoners since the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Texas's capital punishment statute in 1976, more than any other county in the United States and, apart from the rest of Texas, more than any state.

I remembered that Copa America is starting soon and wondered if a Venezuela game was on . No national team games anyway, but I only checked for soccer.
As a side sports trivia note:

Soccer has a presence in Venezuela. But.... Venezuela tilts more towards baseball and basketball rather than soccer in regards to sports interests.

Last edited:
I think it is somewhat common for kids this age to 'sneak out' at night. It's the ultimate adventure that pushes the envelope for an adolescent. :oops:

My best friends and I used to sneak out at 12 and 13, to go 'toilet paper' houses...mostly the cute neighbour boys houses, but they TP'd our houses first usually...It NEVER EVER occurred to me that I'd be in danger of a serial predator. We were so naive.

This is very sad. She was talking to her boyfriend and probably felt safe at the time. She'd just walk back home with her snack and sneak back into her room... :(

So true. Many of us did the same thing. But for me, it was 50 years ago, 1975...our country and society has significantly changed since then. We did many things back then, that there is no way I would allow kids to do now. I think, even 20-30 years ago, it seems like it was much safer.

26-year-old Franklin Peña is set to appear in court Morning as one of the men charged in the murder of 12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray. Peña, along with 22-year-old Johan Jose Martínez Rangel, faces charges of capital murder in this tragic case.KPRC2′s Rechelle Turner is live at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center to provide updates. On Monday, a district court judge will set bond for Peña, with the state requesting a million-dollar bond for both suspects. During their initial hearing last week, both men waived their right to appear in court.

JMO, that's a very common claim. Which depending on the country of origin - gets you a hearing and increased opportunity to disappear. That said, there are also people who genuinely make the claim and follow through with what the system requires them to do. There are good and bad in all people groups.

I hope Jocelyn's horrific death stays the focal point in all this. The two monsters who killed her, chose the wrong county to commit a Capital Murder, if found guilty.

Harris County (Houston), Texas, has executed 126 prisoners since the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Texas's capital punishment statute in 1976, more than any other county in the United States and, apart from the rest of Texas, more than any state.
Harris County used to lead in executions. But then Kim Ogg was elected DA. She is not in favor of capital punishment and thus no death sentences out of Harris County in some time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back