Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people still underestimate the elements, particularly if coming from a temperate climate country with little experience of hiking in adverse conditions.

He would have been dehydrated from alcohol and even 2% dehydration starts to impair cognitive tasks - we heard via Lucy’s account of the phone call that he needed a drink AND also that he was lost and didn’t know which way WAS back on himself. Link to resource Cognitive performance and dehydration - PubMed

The tourist page says the Teno national park is full of ravines, gullies and is over 8000 hectares - the same size as the Forest of Dean. The tourist website also shows the photos of why this area including masca gorge is so deadly Masca Gorge | Camino del barranco de Masca

Being searched by what, 50 people? And you’d have to be within a bush or two of the body to see it. Jay was wearing muted colours, and unfortunately skin becomes black by about day 3 of death in arid exposed conditions (I don’t want to link to this resource out of respect to friends and family but it is easy to search on Wikipedia if you are interested to learn further). He will not be especially visible, and is likely to have crawled beneath vegetation for shade or if he fell and hit his head, he may be down a crack, outcrop or gully.

I don’t know how far he may have walked but there is mention of volcanic rock outcrops jutting out into the sea on descriptions of Teno rural park.

As many searchers are volunteers and not professional search and rescue themselves, they will be limited by the terrain they cover and the distance also - furthermore they will not be thinking like an anxious, dehydrated, disorientated teenager after a night of drink, lack of sleep and the start of sun stroke etc

I think people still underestimate the elements, particularly if coming from a temperate climate country with little experience of hiking in adverse conditions.

He would have been dehydrated from alcohol and even 2% dehydration starts to impair cognitive tasks - we heard via Lucy’s account of the phone call that he needed a drink AND also that he was lost and didn’t know which way WAS back on himself. Link to resource Cognitive performance and dehydration - PubMed

The tourist page says the Teno national park is full of ravines, gullies and is over 8000 hectares - the same size as the Forest of Dean. The tourist website also shows the photos of why this area including masca gorge is so deadly Masca Gorge | Camino del barranco de Masca

Being searched by what, 50 people? And you’d have to be within a bush or two of the body to see it. Jay was wearing muted colours, and unfortunately skin becomes black by about day 3 of death in arid exposed conditions (I don’t want to link to this resource out of respect to friends and family but it is easy to search on Wikipedia if you are interested to learn further). He will not be especially visible, and is likely to have crawled beneath vegetation for shade or if he fell and hit his head, he may be down a crack, outcrop or gully.

I don’t know how far he may have walked but there is mention of volcanic rock outcrops jutting out into the sea on descriptions of Teno rural park.

As many searchers are volunteers and not professional search and rescue themselves, they will be limited by the terrain they cover and the distance also - furthermore they will not be thinking like an anxious, dehydrated, disorientated teenager after a night of drink, lack of sleep and the start of sun stroke etc
I've only just really thought how strange it is to go uphill, why would you do that? And it was light he would of seen
what the surrounding area is like. And the higher you go up , the colder it gets.

I've only just really thought how strange it is to go uphill, why would you do that? And it was light he would of seen
what the surrounding area is like. And the higher you go up , the colder it gets.
Again, I think it’s clear he wasn’t at his best mental performance - he says to Lucy that he is lost, does not know the way back and needs a drink. He hadn’t had much sleep, had drunk a lot of alcohol and possibly taken drugs. He isn’t going to be thinking like you and I.

Moreover once you are that thirsty your drive to find water exceeds anything else, who knows what he was thinking.

I
Again, I think it’s clear he wasn’t at his best mental performance - he says to Lucy that he is lost, does not know the way back and needs a drink. He hadn’t had much sleep, had drunk a lot of alcohol and possibly taken drugs. He isn’t going to be thinking like you and I.

Moreover once you are that thirsty your drive to find water exceeds anything else, who knows what he was thinkin

I get that, and I don't think drunk would of made him want walk anywhere, deffo drugs. But still , I just don't get it

When was this Snapchat photo taken? After he had left the house presumably? Was it at the time he rang Lucy?

Seemingly Snapchat sends instantaneous photo messages which then totally disappear unless the person in receipt takes a screen shot. Apparently sending a pic keeps the chat streak running (which is a good thing) so youngsters are prone to sending a rear camera view pic with little to no effort just to keep their streak alive, explaining why they send pics of their own hands etc. It would appear that Lucy claims to have screen shot the pic at the time it arrived. I could be wrong.

I wonder how long the searches will be conducted?

After what time are they stopped?
Hi Dotta (always love your posts due to your honesty and way with words)

I think it’ll continue for a few days / a week yet this story has big media coverage

Tenerife also relies on British tourism they’ll want to prove that Tenerife is a safe place to be

Unless this is a hoax then I’m sorry to say Jay is deceased IMO

I'm not so sure tbh. This is hardly the Australian outback. I'm quite surprised they haven't found him yet tbh which does add fuel to the fire that something more sinister may have happened.
It's more like Peru. You fall and it could be hundreds of feet. The whole area up there is all switchback roads. I can't see anyone who isn't there to hike or mountain climb going off the road but anything is possible.

Did the video released today of Jay undressed, in his final hours in the club, make anyone else question again, the intent of the guys he went with?

Then again, there is a video circulating in the missing jay Facebook group of a screen recording with Jay's friend's mum speaking and she states they all knew the guys he went back with..

I have just walked the streetview on google maps from Masca to where the trail starts and it’s ALL uphill and quite a distance. If he did get there I can’t see why he would then turn back on himself to go down a track, unless he thought it may lead to help (properties etc). On the way you do pass some buildings on the roadside and one bar/restaurant, which makes me wonder if he did get as far as the trail why not buy something to drink. I also wonder if any of the properties on the road on the way there have CCTV that has been checked.
I've been watching videos and looking at websites and, as someone scared of heights... :oops::eek::oops:
I don't think they have mountain goats or big horn sheep up there but it's the kind of place you'd expect to find them.

So now they were holidaying as a group Of 7, not just Jay, Brad and Lucy, which makes sense as we have heard mention of 1 other female and 1 other named male, so sad as in all the footage he looks quite alone. Jay Slater seen 'staggering back to his feet' by Tenerife clubbers in new vid
No, 'The raver, who was on his first oversees festival trip with seven pals' is the young man who took the video of Jay and spoke with The Mirror, otherwise how could there be a discussion about the age of the attendees at the festival and drugs being sold?

And one of the other seven was a relative of Jays- Isabelle, according to this article (I believe the relative is the female in the Snapchat video). ETA I misread the previous article thanks for correcting me Miss_french, we don’t know there was 7, but there was more than just Brad and Lucy.

Last edited:

"Missing British boy's father describes situation as 'nightmare'.

'Just hoping that somebody has helped him off this mountain',
his father told media.

'That's all I want,
that somebody has helped him get off this mountain'.

The perilous walk back has been described
by experienced hikers as very difficult
and could take up to 11 hours.

Hiker Susannah Smith told media
that she is an athletic person and found the route difficult.

'The way down was difficult on the knees,
the way up, you know,
halfway through having had lunch,
having had adequate water,
having had a hiking pole to help us along,
was very difficult,
by the end it was, you know,
really a mind over matter',
she said."

I wonder whether he started by following directions on his phone on how to walk back?

The map function might send him uphill onto a trail.

Also, I've no idea what he'd have seen if he looked around in the village, but perhaps (as is true of many lost people) he thought he'd get a better view higher up of where he was, where the resort was, etc.

All this is assuming he was feeling extremely confused and lost, and was looking for clarity.

For eg, he might have been fearful of catching the wrong bus and going the wrong way.

Also, wouldn't people have been speaking Spanish to him? Or were they automatically speaking English? He might have been even more confused by the language and accents.

JMO

The Reverend Matt Smith, from West End Methodist Church, said a service held on Sunday was "a chance for the community to come together".

During the service, he said that "as the light of hope seems to dwindle… we think of his family and friends - and we pray that he may come home".

If he had low percentage on his phone, I think it’s likely he’s seen the route on the map app, tried to remember it, and put his phone away (maybe checking map in intervals). Especially if it’s off road on a mountain, could one think that as long as they’re heading in the right direction they’re on the right track? Perhaps checking the map quickly to save battery and realising he’s taken a wrong turn?

I can’t imagine him having 1% and holding the phone out in a hot climate, IPhones always die quicker when they get hot. Also, most have an automatic setting which raises the screen brightness depending on your environment; i.e if you’re in a very sunny area the screen brightness will be very high which drains battery.

All moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members