Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Julian Sands. Very sad
I remember when he went missing but didn't follow the deatils. Found this article about him and it mentions something that all of the hikers here might be interested in:

Sands had his cellphone — it was perched on a rock beneath a tree. But most of Mt. Baldy gets no reception, and the hikers could not find a signal in the area where they found Sands’ remains. They didn’t see any evidence that Sands, who was traveling alone, had another way to summon help.

After finding the remains, Dwyer used his Garmin InReach — a $400 pocket-size satellite-messaging device — to send an SOS with their exact location to authorities. They responded in eight minutes.

I would definitely want this thing if I were a hiker/climber.

I remember when he went missing but didn't follow the deatils. Found this article about him and it mentions something that all of the hikers here might be interested in:

Sands had his cellphone — it was perched on a rock beneath a tree. But most of Mt. Baldy gets no reception, and the hikers could not find a signal in the area where they found Sands’ remains. They didn’t see any evidence that Sands, who was traveling alone, had another way to summon help.

After finding the remains, Dwyer used his Garmin InReach — a $400 pocket-size satellite-messaging device — to send an SOS with their exact location to authorities. They responded in eight minutes.

His phone would have done the same, but unfortunately he rang Lucy instead. The iPhone can do an emergency call to services and then sends a text to your emergency contact with a gps location. If you are out of phone signal- it will send an emergency text to emergency services and your emergency contact, both with gps location. It continues to do this every 10 minutes if it still has charge and your location changes. It also does those things if you fall and then don’t get up again without you intervening. In fact our local press had an article in this morning about rescuing a man who fell down his stairs last night as his iPhone alerted them.
ETA these aren’t new features and apple push them in their advertising, you have to choose to switch it off rather than the other way round. He will have also had so many low battery warnings which just makes this so frustrating

Quoting self but can we just discuss this “outfit”. Are they shoes? He was wearing white trainers earlier in the night I get borrowing a blanket or joggers or whatever, but footwear? Is it definitely him?

I keep trying to figure it out and wonder if it's a jazzy coloured orange bath robe / throw blanket and some sturdy leather house slippers? People who live in stone floored houses need thick slippers to keep their feet warm and the rental property owners may have supplied basic pairs?

I keep trying to figure it out and wonder if it's a jazzy coloured orange bath robe / throw blanket and some sturdy leather house slippers? People who live in stone floored houses need thick slippers to keep their feet warm and the rental property owners may have supplied basic pairs?
There are throws in the air bnb photos they are all white and on the couch arms, the bedding is also white.

Quoting self but can we just discuss this “outfit”. Are they shoes? He was wearing white trainers earlier in the night I get borrowing a blanket or joggers or whatever, but footwear? Is it definitely him?
Where is a pic of him wearing white trainers earlier?

There's a photo of him with his mother, his arm around her shoulder, and he's holding a lighter in his hand the same as in this pic.

Yes, Julian Sands. Very sad

Interesting information there.

Three of the downsides of this type device.

You cannot receive return messages
You cannot edit or delete an alarm sent
Some allow pre-programmed text messages to be sent. However, some only send an alarm without any accompanying description available.

But no one kind of satellite-messaging device is perfect and affordable, and this might be exactly what a lost hiker needs.

Last edited:
So we have:

Someone in the AirBnB in a flowery wrap/curtain, posting from Jay’s account but no clear evidence it is him. It appears to have different shoes to pictures of Jay earlier in the evening (I have seen these white/grey trainer pics too tho not sure if they’re ‘official’ as far as this site goes, from social media rather than MSM.)

Lucy says he called her at (variously I think I’ve seen) 8.30 or 8.50am from the mountains - presumably LE have corroborated this with phone records so they know Jay’s phone called Lucy’s phone. We have Lucy’s word that this call was Jay himself.

The AirBnB owners sister is the sole witness (as far as we know, I think) to Jay being in the village at this time.

Curiouser and curiouser.

My post showing the location of Jay’s last photo got deleted for not having links, so here it is again. He was standing on the doorstep looking out.

Apologies for it being the Mirror, first source that came up although these pics are all over the news sites.

Thanks, I can actually see steps now

I’m quite confused about how Lucy found the house on her way through Masca, is that doorstep visible from the road?
He had also shared this on his Snapchat which was used to identify the house. The same white car is on Google maps, but they have changed the front garden slightly.

Attachments

• Snapchat.jpeg
    Snapchat.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 132
I’m quite confused about how Lucy found the house on her way through Masca, is that doorstep visible from the road?
You meet someone on holiday, you ask where they're from and where they're staying... "We're staying at an Airbnb about 5 minutes from Masca". When Jay doesnt turn up she searches for correlating properties on Airbnb

So we have:

Someone in the AirBnB in a flowery wrap/curtain, posting from Jay’s account but no clear evidence it is him. It appears to have different shoes to pictures of Jay earlier in the evening (I have seen these white/grey trainer pics too tho not sure if they’re ‘official’ as far as this site goes, from social media rather than MSM.)

Lucy says he called her at (variously I think I’ve seen) 8.30 or 8.50am from the mountains - presumably LE have corroborated this with phone records so they know Jay’s phone called Lucy’s phone. We have Lucy’s word that this call was Jay himself.

The AirBnB owners sister is the sole witness (as far as we know, I think) to Jay being in the village at this time.

Curiouser and curiouser.

These could have been socks.

I think she would have found it because of how few holiday rentals in that area

You meet someone on holiday, you ask where they're from and where they're staying... "We're staying at an Airbnb about 5 minutes from Masca". When Jay doesnt turn up she searches for correlating properties on Airbnb
All this--
I used the white car snap photo in a Google lens photo search with masca airbnb and the actual airbnb listing comes up.
We don't know what other details she had

So we have:

Curiouser and curiouser.

Does anyone know if Lucy's account of events could or would have been investigated or verified by LE in Tenerife?

In usual terms, it would require someone to be named as a suspect or person of interest and interviews with correct legal protocols to be followed just in order to look at the phone - often LE have to use court orders against phone service providers.

Assuming Lucy is being 'helpful' and supplying or showing as much detail as she can, even then, is it able to be forensically verified?

They could, but they look more solid than socks. If I look at my feet in socks, I can see the shape of my toes. They’re not as ‘formed’ as the footwear in that pic.
Early on in the thread someone mentioned they look like slippers and probably belonged to one of the other men. The blanket is likely because it's a little chilly. It seems he took a photo of it because it's a little bit of a funny outfit while he stands outside for a cigarette.

They could, but they look more solid than socks. If I look at my feet in socks, I can see the shape of my toes. They’re not as ‘formed’ as the footwear in that pic.

OK :)

IMO

These are slippers for guests.

They are usually provided
and guests leave shoes in the hall so as not to bring dirt from outside into the rooms.

I always take off my (sports) shoes the moment I enter my place :)

It seems he just went out for a moment,
just for a smoke on the stairs,
covered by a blanket and wearing slippers.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members