VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BienickWCVB

The judge has not spoken individually with the jurors during the trial but she did question them individually during jury selection.

The judge encourages jury not to take a straw poll at the start of deliberations but rather to start by talking about the evidence.

The jury will not be provided with a transcript of the testimony. They will need to rely on their memories of what witnesses said.

The judge says the foreperson must be certain of the unanimity of a verdict before announcing it the judge. He nods affirmatively.

The judge finishes her instructions and calls the attorneys to the bench for a sidebar.

was that ever confirmed by more than one person that is what she said. Most heard "Did I hit him" "Could I have hit him" which are natural reactions given the alcohol levels invovled.
Good thing Jury have access to testimony so they can check it off against Jen Mc's stellar record of truthfulness

eta I just read that jury will have no access to transcript of testimony seems odd to me and quite shocking if they may need to refresh memories. they could end up arguing over who took the right notes wtf

Last edited:
@JHall7news

She urges the jury not to start with a straw vote but deliberations are up to them. She tells them to take their time.

No verdict will come during lunch breaks 1-2pm. Cannone is done but wants a sidebar before picking the two alternates.

@BienickWCVB

<snipped by me>

The jury will not be provided with a transcript of the testimony. They will need to rely on their memories of what witnesses said.
Is this normal? They won't be provided with transcripts of testimony? there were a lot of people called to the stand and they're supposed to rely on memory to decide if someone goes to prison....?

@BienickWCVB

The judge has not spoken individually with the jurors during the trial but she did question them individually during jury selection.

The judge encourages jury not to take a straw poll at the start of deliberations but rather to start by talking about the evidence.

The judge says the foreperson must be certain of the unanimity of a verdict before announcing it the judge. He nods affirmatively.

The judge finishes her instructions and calls the attorneys to the bench for a sidebar.

I always like the instruction that jurors shouldn't take a vote until they've at least reviewed the evidence as a group and had some discussion.

@BienickWCVB

Judge selects juror in seat number one to serve as foreperson. He says, "I will."

1:15 PM · Jun 25, 2024

I've seen judges pick the foreperson before. However, it does surprise me that this foreman was picked before the remaining jurors are selected by lot. It puts the judge's thumb on the scale to ensure that one handpicked juror will make it in to deliberations.

Wouldn't it be fairer to first randomly select 12 who'll deliberate, then pick the foreperson from that group?

edit - Any Massachusetts residents care to comment if this is the usual way it's done there?

Apparently, it was literally just the guy in seat number 1.
LOL thanks, I got that part. Some of the reporters have mentioned how certain jurors behaved during the closings so I'm more interested in if that was the male juror described as looking at the ceiling the whole time, etc., those kind of descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper