VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@JHall7news

She urges the jury not to start with a straw vote but deliberations are up to them. She tells them to take their time.

No verdict will come during lunch breaks 1-2pm. Cannone is done but wants a sidebar before picking the two alternates.
That's a strange thing to tell them. I've never been on a jury, but don't they usually start with a poll just to see where things stand?
IMO

I've seen judges pick the foreperson before. However, it does surprise me that this foreman was picked before the remaining jurors are selected by lot. It puts the judge's thumb on the scale to ensure that one handpicked juror will make it in to deliberations.

Wouldn't it be fairer to first randomly select 12 who'll deliberate, then pick the foreperson from that group?

edit - Any Massachusetts residents care to comment if this is the usual way it's done there?
I totally disagree with the way this was handled. Smacks of bias to me, and we have already seen quite a bit of bias in this trial and from this judge.

Is this normal? They won't be provided with transcripts of testimony? there were a lot of people called to the stand and they're supposed to rely on memory to decide if someone goes to prison....?
I am also surprised and curious to know if it's normal. Even with taking notes and not just memory, I've seen first-hand how poor some adults are at doing that.

I don't like that. I don't see how anybody is supposed to remember with sufficient detail.
I think so the key parts stick out. A lot of us have our own different key points so with 12 of them, I think they'll have a good basis covered. I remember from past trials when the jury have requested transcripts during deliberation they were denied.

That's a strange thing to tell them. I've never been on a jury, but don't they usually start with a poll just to see where things stand?
IMO
That's the way every jury I've ever sat on has done it. She also said it was their decision on how to deliberate and then she went on to tell them how to do it.

I also liked that she said they wouldn't accept a verdict until at least 2:00. I'm aware of a case where the jury literally came back and found someone guilty in like 5 minutes. And I think that person genuinely was guilty, but still, that person is going to be in prison for the rest of her life, and you couldn't even talk about it for an hour? Doesn't feel right at all.

Is this normal? They won't be provided with transcripts of testimony? there were a lot of people called to the stand and they're supposed to rely on memory to decide if someone goes to prison....?
Official transcripts usually aren't done until weeks or months after the trial is complete. Remember that courtrooms still run on 1950s technology like stenotypes (or stenomasks like in this trial).

Maybe it will be different in the future now that we have video recordings and computer transcription, but the legal system doesn't like change.

Now suddenly in closing he's saying she went back to the house so knew where the body was? Where was all that evidence in the last month? Must have replaced his "she deleted Ring footage" lie with this new one.
luckily closing arguments are not evidence,straight from the mouth of the judge though I hope some of the jurors noticed Lally right there illustrating Jackson's closing point that the cw was misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper