VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BienickWCVB

Couple jurors seated next the foreman are smiling at him about his nomination.

The clerk pulls out the "bingo cage" and choses two jurors as alternates. Both are women. They leave the jury box and sit in a corner of the courtroom.

Court officers take jury out of the courtroom. Deliberations have begun.

The final jury is composed of six women and six men.

@BienickWCVB

The judge has not spoken individually with the jurors during the trial but she did question them individually during jury selection.

The judge encourages jury not to take a straw poll at the start of deliberations but rather to start by talking about the evidence.

The jury will not be provided with a transcript of the testimony. They will need to rely on their memories of what witnesses said.

The judge says the foreperson must be certain of the unanimity of a verdict before announcing it the judge. He nods affirmatively.

The judge finishes her instructions and calls the attorneys to the bench for a sidebar.
what the..., no transcript of testimony? What is that. never seen that in another trial. can't be right surely?

Lots I'm not happy about
-jurors not allowed to take notes during closure handicaps them if it means they need to read several volumes of their own notes from the outset.
- Judge selecting foreman is not cool
-Judge instructing them not to take a poll is off, she's trying to control the deliberations.
-I'm not including Lally because I reckon he shot himself in his own foot... but one has to ask whether he listened to anything apart from his own propaganda?
-judge seemed to overemphasise the drink driving aspect of the case.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I don't know what the jury are thinking.
There could be tons of prejudice in there and we wont know until they bring a verdict..

I never trust juries to bring what I think they should bring.
Then if they do, I am pleasantly surprised.
I expect the worst and anything less is a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
The irony of using the term "safe space" when talking about disgustingly abusive and misogynistic behaviour. Ok Lally.
What a thing to say to try to explain Proctor. Imo Lally cannot read the room and as such he comes across as an apologist of Proctor's abhorrent misogyny. He should have dispensed with the qualification. jmo

@cathyrusson

Closer….. I still think there are too many questions as to what happened that night not to have reasonable doubt. Also, STOP THE DRINKING AND DRIVING! So much of that in this case.

The jury began deliberating around 1:30 pm ET in #KarenRead. They will not deliberate past 4:30 pm ET each day.

What a thing to say to try to explain Proctor. Imo Lally cannot read the room and as such he comes across as an apologist of Proctor's abhorrent misogyny. He should have dispensed with the qualification. jmo
He is a Proctor fan. I knew he must of hated having to be the prosecutor in this as he knows them all in a positive way in his way of life.

After all the testimony and both sides closing arguments this is what I know for 100% certainty: John O’Keefe deserved better. He deserved a better girlfriend. He deserved better friends. He served a better lead investigator. He deserved a better investigation. He deserved a better trial regarding his death.

1719339089237.png

They can ask, but Judges generally don't allow a read-back of witness testimony. When a judge is asked for one, judge instructs jury to rely on their memory and notes. moo
Really? it depends on judge? There were some requests for read back in Murdaugh trial of certain sections of testimony and the judge allowed, I would assume in the interests of allowing the jury to resolve conflicts of memory and reach their verdict based on the correct facts. I don't like that idea at all in this trial especially after the massive amount of testimony. It just sounds wrong and not in the interests of reaching a a fair verdict at all if a judge were to deny a request or make jury feel uncomfortble about needing a clarification. moo

After all the testimony and both sides closing arguments this is what I know for 100% certainty: John O’Keefe deserved better. He deserved a better girlfriend. He deserved better friends. He served a better lead investigator. He deserved a better investigation. He deserved a better trial regarding his death.

View attachment 513141

I got the sense he would of given HIS all for the right thing in this type of a situation. He would not lie nor be a simp to fit in or toe the blue line that was rotten here. Just my sense. The girlfriend situation is very personal to people aside from what I am mentioning, what works for them or does not. We will never know in the end for sure. You know how people surprise you with their own personal hearts. Yes, this was a terrible place for KR to be at and a while before. SOUNDS like the go away come here though and neither officially ended it as he was affectionate when she walked in the first bar, then not long after, the anxiety and massively betrayed person sounding calls and texts to him. So you never know. NO, not a good place for her and tons have been in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper